Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poster For Boyfriend :)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks > Fanarts
Feefie04
Hi! I'm looking to draw a poster for my boyfriend's birthday, and I want to use Ed in the pose of him with his hands together right before he does an alchemy spell. Now, I've JUST started watching the anime (up to episode 10), and I know there are shots of him doing that, but I just am wondering if you harcore fans have any really good refs of him doing that.

For example i found this:

Click to view attachment
http://img28.echo.cx/img28/1593/fmamovie2cx.jpg

but I need it head on (symmetrical). I'm most interested in a good veiw of th pose of the upper half of the body and the hands... the face I don't really need, i will be getting that from a different ref. Lighting doesn't matter either.

I'll keep watching the eposides and look for a good scene but if anyone has a good pic it would be AWESOMELY appreciated.

Thanks SOOOO much.

Edit: I've also tried searching google and fansites but I am a FMA noob and I don't really know what terms to use to search for a pose like that >.<
Fushi
Have you tried looking in the gallery here?

We have a large extensive gallery. What you're looking for should somewhere in there.

and that picture....isn't even Ed. But I won't spoil who it is. laugh.gif
Feefie04
Yeah i noticed that the hair was weird... but i figured it was just some different version... lol.Thanks, I will definately check out the gallery here.Yaaaay! ONE pic in the whole 27 pages... but I think it's exactly what I need! ty!!http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...671_2_25302.jpg
Fushi
Nope it's a different character, but it's someone we know throughout the series regardless, so it's not a new character. =P You'll see whenever you finish the series and decide to watch the movie, in which he appears in.

edit: good for you finding the image btw! smile.gif I hope your drawing comes up nice. You should post it in the art threads here whenever you're done. happy.gif

Now we await Tombow to come in with a newbie welcome....
Feefie04
I will! I plan on doing a low quality preliminary drawing in photoshop and then doing a vector one in illustrator, so I can make a nice quality poster at any size smile.gif I'll post my progress!

Well here is what I did so far.... I'm just working out the composition and the colors. I didn't trace, if you are thinking that, I sat the two side by side and drew the other from looking at it. The one on the left is a composite of images I found around the net.

The left side behind ed is empty... I was thinking of putting mustang there but I'm not so sure he would be the best char to put there.... who is someone important to Ed besides Alfonse? is it winry?

Edit: Oh ty Tombow smile.gif I will do that!
Tombow
^^ @Fushigi Rockna - Nice job being a guide!! biggrin.gif

@Feefie04 - Welcome to the board!!
I'm glad you found the reference pic you were looking for. And, nice job with the Ed so far!! ^^
You can use this thread to post all your fanarts. If you like to change the title of the thread later then click on EDIT under your first post, and that will let you edit the thread title.
And, I changed the posting of your pic from Image posting to Attachment so that the oversize pic wouldn't stretch the forum page. You can check out the second post of this thread for how to post pics here. ^^
Also, if you like, please stop by Newcomers thread and post you "hi"!!
Hope to see many of your fanarts!! biggrin.gif
Feefie04
So here is the last version im gonna do tonight.... just getting the layout and colors together.

I think the lightning is too much.... but I kinda want some sort of bolty thing coming like i remember seeing in the anime.

Should i put winry or mustang in the left behind ed? or someone else?

thanks for the input!
Tombow
@Feefie04 - Wow, that's coming out very nice!!
If it's me, I wouldn't add any other character(s) and keep that one as Ed and Al pic, but that's just my preference. ^^
Fushi
Nice job so far! ohmy.gif

Hmmmmm....Winry would make more sense, but my fangirl side wants to see Royyyy~~~ ;.;
Feefie04
here is the update:

Cleaning up the lines and colors smile.gif Also added a temporary filler title at the bottom, I haven't finalized the design yet on that.

Click to view attachment

update

Click to view attachment
Edit: Another update.The eyes are bothering me, so i will probably redo them. So, I moved the title to the top. ( I will have to draw the belt and such if I keep it this way). If I have the title at the top, I will not addalfonse.However, I am going to do a version with alfonse and the title at the bottom, just to see how it will look.Remember, this image is only like... 900 pixels high, aka, low quality, and it is a template for the vector based version.

Edit again: Hey I just read the rules I won't separate post anymore >.< sorry.

Edit: 3rd picture

Click to view attachment
Added alfonse in there, tried to modify the composition slightly to make it a bit more balanced. I really only want al and ed, no third person. What do you think abou this composition?

Edit: 4th picture

Click to view attachment

Decided after many winry vs mustang pics that winry would look best there, looking worried. I wasnt able to find a good ref pic of winry's pose, so i drew her from scratch.

Click to view attachment
Tombow
@Feefie04 - Nice!! I like the final version of Al!!
I still like the first one with Ed and Al only, but the last version with Winry is nice, too!! biggrin.gif
Can't wait to see your next one!! ^^
Feefie04
QUOTE(Tombow @ Jul 29 2007, 02:37 PM) *
@Feefie04 - Nice!! I like the final version of Al!!
I still like the first one with Ed and Al only, but the last version with Winry is nice, too!! biggrin.gif
Can't wait to see your next one!! ^^

Thanks smile.gif Also ty for editing the images... I didn't know how to order them. Is there a way I can do that?

I have finished al now and I am working on winry. Since I could not find a reference for her I had to draw her by memory I want to make sure she looks like winry... Also I found that a green hue was much better looking than the purple. what do you guys think?
Tombow
@Feefie04 - I agree with you, I like Green one better!! ^^

And, about putting Attachment to where you want in the post...

After you clicking on Browse and uploading of your pic is completed, slide over to the Left side, and click on Manage Current Attachments (1) for the drop down menu. You see the icon with a green cross. But, don't click on it yet.

Move your cursor to where you want your Attachment to show up on your post in the reply post composing window, then go back to the drop down menu and click on the icon with a green cross.
If you see something like this Click to view attachment showing up on your post in the post composing window, then that's the Attachment.

If you have more, say 3 Attachments, then the drop down menu has 3 lines, each one for each pic you uploaded, and they show up in order of how you uploaded the pic, the first one you uploaded on the top line, the next one you uploaded on the next line, and so on (or maybe can tell which Attachment is for which pic by the file name.)

Just move your cursor to where you want that Attachment will be in your post, and click on the icon with the green cross for placing that Attachment there in your post.

(Hope this makes sense. biggrin.gif If not, ask me again. ^^)
Feefie04
Ty Tombow! I will do that stuff from now on ^^

Well this is the final version of the image before I put it in Illustrator. Any last crits?
Fushi
It looks fantastic! I'm sure your boyfriend will love it! <:

And kudos on Winry. You drew her really well from just memory! smile.gif
Feefie04
So here is the vector so far. Ed's eyes were still not right so I fixed them a bit... does he look better?

I really need you guys to tear it apart, or at least let me know if anything bothers you... I have this pic on another forum but they are kind of being mean (trolling a lot) and I can't tell if I should really fix something they say or if they're just doing to make me hate it. You guys are nicer >.<. I mean a lot of it is just opinion on how something should look but if theres anything that stands out to you as "hmm that looks crooked" or "that shape is bad" then it would be great to know because after staring at a picture for 5 or 6 hours straight you can't see small stuff anymore :/

Also, If the green looks too bright its because the cmyk doesn't convert to rgb very well (it needs to be in cmyk for print).

Click to view attachment

Edit:

Totally redid Ed's face. I hope it looks more like him now. Still have to do all the shading on his face and eyes. I took a break from his face (because it was annoying me) and worked on his coat, and the BG a bit.

Click to view attachment

Edit:

Redid Ed's face again. Mostly the eyes and the shading. I think im pretty happy with this version though hes a bit crosseyed, i will fix that.

So I'm starting to have seocnd thoughts on this project because I'm a perfectionist and I can't seem to get it the way I want it... and this always happens on big projects, and I just want to stop if i can't get it right... >.<

There's just something missing in the image for me... well, first I HATE illustrator. Everything always ends up looking so flat and style-less. I think that's why I'm so unhappy with this drawing so far. I just have to learn it more.

Anyway, here's the picture.

Click to view attachment

Edit:

Another update ^^
I think I FINALLY got Ed's eyes right.... I still have to move his hairlin a bit and MAYBE put some shading on his face... but I'm finally happy with it.

Also started Al and did a bit of ed's coat.

Click to view attachment
Tombow
I like Ed's eyes on the last one!! I like Winry, too!!
I think it's coming out very nicely!! happy.gif
~Kurenai~
awesome artwork!! happy.gif
Feefie04
@Kurenai and Tombow : Thanks! smile.gif

So I feel like a big dork by having such a big thread on one little drawing... but... meh. tongue.gif

Update: Ed's hair, face, and Al! This time I just included what I have vectored so far excluding the BG.

Click to view attachment

Edit:

Another edit ^^

Also I attached a 100% size crop... this is the size that it will be on the wall (just part of it of course). You get to see the prettyness of the lines biggrin.gif You can also see why I wanted to vector it... because the photoshop file would be HUGE if I tried to get lines that smooth at a size that large... at a resolution this high. The illustrator file is only... 3mb? The photoshop file would be at least 100 megabytes.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

PS: btw it makes me laugh when i look at all the versions of Ed's face side by side.... OMG some of those older versions looked BAD wacko.gif
Edit: I made a version showing the progress... btw im up to episode 34 in FMA and I kept improving his face based on watching the show... so yeah actually WATCHING fma helped... haha.
Click to view attachment
Tombow
@Feefie04 - That 100% size crop look awesome!! Lines are so clean and crisp, and smooth!!
And, I love the "progress sheet" of Ed's face!!
I can see that you made so much improvement on Ed's face, and I like the latest one very much!!
And, I'm enjoying your "progress reports." biggrin.gif
It's actually educational and very interesting, to me at least, following your progress for this piece!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.