Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shaman King!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
anime lover girl
Shaman King (シャーマンキング Shāman Kingu?) directed by Seiji Mizushima and produced by Xebec. The episodes were aired between July 4, 2001 and September 25, 2002 on TV Tokyo .
(Source - Wiki)

List of Characters

Plot Summary: Asakura Yoh is a shaman, a person who communicates with ghosts. He enters the Shaman Fight, for whoever wins the tournament gets to commune with the Great Spirit, God . . . that and his fiance Anna wants to be the wife of the Shaman King. Helping him are his friends Manta, Horo Horo, Ryu, and his samurai ghost partner, Amidamaru.
Once every 500 years, there's an event called the Shaman Fight, and whoever wins becomes the Shaman King and can use the most powerful spirits ever. Asakura Yoh comes to Tokyo to train and become the Shaman King. Accompanied by many friends, he defeats many enemies along and the way, and gets more friends.
Yoh is a young shaman, one who can see and communicate with spirits. Shaman's also have another power,the ability to unify with spirits and use the spirit's fighting skills. Yoh is training to become the Shaman King, strongest among all Shamans, a title won by winning the Grand Tournament that takes place every 500 years. Helping him are his best friend Morty, a short kid who can also see ghosts, Amidamaru, an old samurai and his spirit partner, and his fiance Ana, a spirit meduim and his trainer. However, another Shaman family is trying to keep Yoh out of the tournament. Along the way he meets a bunch of other misfit ghosts and wannabe Shamans.

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, supernatural, tournament
Episodes: 64
Age Rating: PG
(Source - ANN)

-------

Hey!My fav character is the cute little boy with green hair(Man can't remember his name again) mad.gif
Kasumi
That would be Lyserg Diethyl. ^^

My favourite characters are HoroHoro and Tao Ren.
anime lover girl
thank you(smile)
Riza Babe
i like yo and anna lol i think i watched the english versoin or us
Kasumi
Yoh/Anna is my favourite pairing in SK. biggrin.gif I wouldn't complain about the english dubbed version if I wasn't wasn't such a big HoroHoro fan and that 4kids didn't change his name to Trey! mad.gif

@Anime lover girl: No prob! wink.gif
Edward.Elric
I was going to enter the Shaman King drawing cotnest, but never got around to draw the pic.
ryuuko
my favorite is hao~ i am surprised that he doesn't have many fan in america
AoiSora
Oooh! Finally a Mankin thread!

I love AnnaxYoh, I think there kid Hana is very cute, and Anna is my favorite! She is the only one I know who can have her eyes half closed and not look tired! biggrin.gif

The 4kids version scares me. My cousin even warned to not even turn the TV on at the time it is on, just in case I might accidentally catch it. So, from second hand info, it is really really bad. But the name changing was the worse. I can't believe the did that to HoroHoro!
xrninja
QUOTE(ryuuko @ Oct 25 2004, 08:21 PM)
my favorite is hao~ i am surprised that he doesn't have many fan in america

hahah hao's awesome. i think the reason for the lack of fandom here is that 4Kids and Fox stalled the second season with hao for awhile. and maybe also that here his name changed to ZEKE, and i personally think a character would have to be very very very kickass-ly awesome before i'd be a fangirl of someone named zeke. no offense to all you natural-born zekes out there, it's just so wrong changing it from hao. i mean, they kept yoh's name and didn't change it to stu or anything, and hao's a pretty huge character too.

and lenny? don't even get me started on that. is that supposed to be the american equivalent of ren-chan or something? because as a ren myself i think changing it to lenny is very weird. if anyone called me lenny, i'd beat the crap out of them. *mutter* again, no offense to the natural-born lennies out there.

compared to those, horo --> trey, manta --> morty, ryou --> rio aren't that horrible. i think that with the exception of ren's VA (english accent? wtf?) and anna's VA (a little too shrill and high-pitched for my liking) i think the casting wasn't bad for the voices. i've never heard mankin in japanese before so i dunno. penguin|tired is the only person i know with all the eps of mankin, but he won't give them to me >( without a trade, at least. toukakoukan, na.
Kihaku
I really like this series. Pity that it had to end whilst the manga is still running... the end was a little open and all. I loved the feeling and events throughout the whole series. My favourite character would be Lyzerg, he's so cute(love the green hair!) and kind... next favourites are Ren and Horohoro. I like the way how Ren's attitude changes, and how he really seems to care for his friends despite his tough shell, the spike on his head is cute... but what's that with blushing always when he looks at/thinks of his sister..? Horohoro is just so fun and weird.. I like it how he and Ren seem to argue constantly, but are still good friends, both lose their temper easily...
Hmm.. the character I like the least is Anna.. how can a little kid be that bossy? But well, she and Yoh belong together.. I suppose, so I can endure her...
Chibi Viki
waaaaah, the old mankin thread is missing! >.<

anyway, i'm a yohxannaxhao fan (ahhehehe :,3)

btw, this was discussed in the old mankin thread before it disappeared (along w/ the old samurai 7 and old trigun thread)... apparently mankin manga is still not finished, but another arc was started: Funbari no Uta.

so far, all i know is it follows the story of Yoh and Anna's son, Hana. I saw a few pages, but didn't get to see anna and yoh... only ryu (who practically looked the same, and chocolove (when you see him, you'll go: OMG!ISTHATCHOCOLOVE?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!).

i'll try to look for that site where i found a few scans and post it here...
Vx Tao Ren xV
Actually, the manga ended around a month ago or so (I found a scan of the last page).. It's so sad!!!!! (the Japanese manga volumes haven't finished up yet though..)

Anyways!

Yeah, Shaman King rocks. In my opinion, the manga is a LOT better than the manga.. (it's also a lot longer, which makes it all better ^_^) but ehh.. oh well. I have yet to see the dub, and never, EVER will.. I get mocked enough about it as it is. I still can't believe what they did to it T.T

My favorite characters are Tao Ren, obviously (*cough*points to user name*cough*), Hao-Sama, and Horo (in the manga)... manga Jeanne is cool too..

Oh! Funbari No Uta!! ^_^.. I absolutely love seeing the aftermath of Volume 9.. hehe... Actually, it's being published in the tankouban volumes now (instead of Shounen Jump only), I found a really cute introduction to it after "Mikki no Sekai" in volume 31.. I never saw Chocolove in Funbari no Uta (unless you count that one image of him sitting with his back turned to you in like the first chapter... You also only see the back of Anna.. who's holding a butcher knife (typical..).. and there isn't anyone else shown except for Ryu.. although I read somewhere that Hana (Poor kid's gonna get beat up in school because of his name) and Ryu were going to China to talk to Ren about something... (Nyahh!! Bocchama!! ^_^).. I really hope it's gonna get published into the rest of the manga volumes..

Yeah.. that's all I can rant about for now.. I have homework to do ^_^;;

Oh yeah, just out of curiosity.. what gender is Opacho!?!? (I say that it's genderly challenged) @.@!! It's never actually been said before...

::brain implodes::
Kasumi
The manga has ended?! Wow...I guess I'll have a lot of catching up to do...
ryuuko
yes the manga has ended, but the ending arn't something a hao fan would like~ TT__TT although it left plenty of space for imagination, but i don't like the ending!
Kasumi
Similar to the anime ending or very different?
Vx Tao Ren xV
QUOTE(ryuuko @ Oct 26 2004, 04:53 PM)
yes the manga has ended, but the ending arn't something a hao fan would like~ TT__TT although it left plenty of space for imagination, but i don't like the ending!

Yes, I agree.. I was traumatized (I pretty much worship Hao-Sama in my spare time.. yes, I'm a loser.. but you can't not love someone with such floofy pants!!).. okay.. I'm done ranting..!!

And WOW was I confused! (I'm only up to volume 31.. I have no idea what that last page was all about).. @.@!!

::brain implodes...again::
Vx Tao Ren xV
QUOTE(Kasumi @ Oct 26 2004, 05:06 PM)

VERY Different...
AoiSora
Oh, it is over? no wonder it wasn't in shounen jump anymore. Becuase of Hagaren I kind of fell behind. But have you noticed how different his art is now? In the last book that just came out, they looked so small! Then I was looking back at all the books and you can slowly see his style getting more simple and smaller!

Do you remember when it ended? Did it have a color splash page? I want to go look for a back issue of Shounen Jump to find it. There is a delay here anyways, I might be able to, as long as I know what issue I am looking for!
Vx Tao Ren xV
I don't remember.. sorry. But it wasn't anything special.. just like any other page...

Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
Chibi Viki
wth?!

so how did it end? spoilers please :,3
ryuuko
QUOTE(Kasumi @ Oct 26 2004, 02:06 PM)

very different >_< very
Kihaku
Oh, so it has ended. How long is it then? And did it continue very long after the events of the anime? (just wondering how much there is to find out)
Vx Tao Ren xV
Well, after Yoh-tachi part from Lilirara in America, or so I believe, the anime goes in a very different direction from the manga (aside from the small changes along the way)... For example, the X-LAWS' Gate of Babylon thingy doesn't exist in the manga..

Also, I think that the Shaman Fight is a lot more organized and interesting (not to mention the fights are just plain better) in the manga.. it's also a lot longer... which is the main reason why the manga is so long, because almost all of it is the Shaman Fight, along with various things happening at the same time (ie. Osorezan Revior, GOLEM, and lots of other spoilerific goodness..).. and there's lots of character development which kind of lacks in the anime..

So, there's basically a very long list of things to catch up on if you're interested in keeping up with the manga after watching the anime..
Kasumi
I just finished reading the translation of the last few chapters...And that was very unexpected...I'm still trying to get over it...

ScaR
I have only seen 5 ep. but i like it... especially Manta and Ren Tao... BTW if you didn't know... The voice of Ren Tao is Paku Romi... who also is the voice of Ed in FMA... Paku Romi
Vx Tao Ren xV
I know ^_^.. there are also around 11 or so (I lost count x.X.. and I really did keep track of them all for a while..) other seiyuu from Shaman King in Fullmetal Alchemist.. if anyone is interested or cares at all I'll list them all.. some of the connections are kind of amusing ^_^

Paku Romi rocks. ^_^
Kasumi
Well, a few seiyuus that I know that are in both SK and FMA:

Yuuko Satou - Asakura Yoh (FMA - Lust)
Paku Romi - Tao Ren (FMA - Edward Elric)
Michiko Neya - Tao Jun (FMA - Riza Hawkeye)
I forgot his name, but the seiyuu who plays Tao En also plays Hohenheim.

Thinking back, Shaman King has quite a lot of famous seiyuus... smile.gif
Vx Tao Ren xV
Yup.. ^_^

Seiyuu - Shaman King, Fullmetal Alchemist

Paku Romi - Tao Ren, Edward Elric
Satou Yuuko - Asakura Yoh, Lust
Neya Michiko - Tao Jun, Riza Hawkeye
Ueda Yuuji - Horohoro, Zolof J. Kimbley
Mizuki Nana - Tamamura Tamao, Wrath
Itou Kentarou - Nichrom, Barry the Chopper
Kumai Motoko - Chocolove, Elisa (Episodes 11-12)
Ochiai Rumi - Sharona, Marin's Mother (Episode 5)
Koyasu Takehito - Faust VIII, Lujon (Episode 35)
Saiga Mitsuki - Young Amidamaru, Maria Ross
Shibata Hidekatsu - Tao Ching, King Bradley
Ebara Masashi - Tao En, Hoenheim Elric

This is all that I have so far... they may be more.. but I haven't checked lately..
Chibi Viki
ok.. how did the manga end? the last thing i heard is

the ps2 game follows this arc as well. the last manga that i had was chap 26 w/ sleeping beauty ren (ahehehe...). anyway, what's with princess hao?
Vx Tao Ren xV
QUOTE(Kasumi @ Oct 27 2004, 03:38 PM)
I just finished reading the translation of the last few chapters...And that was very unexpected...I'm still trying to get over it...

The Princess Hao part disturbed me...-__- I know the importance of that line and the message Takei is trying to convey, but still, the first thought that entered my mind when I read that was disturbing...

Where did you get the translation? I really wanna know what that whole deal was about.. either that or can you just explain it? Sankyuu!
Kasumi
The link to the translation of the last chapter:
http://greatspirit.suddenlaunch.com/index....&num=1094612568

Although, if you haven't read the previous few chapters, you still wouldn't know what's going on... I actually read the translation on another forum, but that one requires you to sign up. If you don't want to go through all the trouble, I can just post it here, but tell me which chapter you want me to start from. smile.gif
Vx Tao Ren xV
Wow.. I'm so confused @.@.. Maybe I'll just wait for the next volume to come out.. it may be a little easier to understand with the pictures ^_^;;.. thanks for posting it though ^_^
Kasumi
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it will be easier to understand with pictures. By the way, how many volumes is SK in total?
Haroken
From what I've read of the manga I like Manta or Lee Bailong.
Vx Tao Ren xV
QUOTE(Kasumi @ Oct 28 2004, 04:10 PM)
By the way, how many volumes is SK in total?

So far 31, which is what goes up to Chapter 275 (And the beginning of Funbari No Uta)..
Kasumi
So in total, there will be 32 volumes? And what do you mean by the beginning of FnU?
Vx Tao Ren xV
QUOTE(Haroken @ Oct 28 2004, 05:14 PM)
From what I've read of the manga I like Manta or Lee Bailong.

Really? You like Manta? You're actually the first person I've come across who does.. maybe it's the 2'8" thing that no one likes ^_^;; heh....

In my opinion, Pyron is a lot cooler than Manta.. even if he is dead...
Vx Tao Ren xV
QUOTE(Kasumi @ Oct 28 2004, 05:26 PM)
So in total, there will be 32 volumes? And what do you mean by the beginning of FnU?

Yeah, pretty much..

Well, for a while they've been publishing "Funbari No Uta: Mickey No Sekai".. so I guess Funbari No Uta is in different sections..

"Mickey No Sekai" pretty much deals with a day in the life of a young Mikihisa and Keiko..

In volume 31, after "Mickey No Sekai" is "Funbari No Uta: Onsen Hen".. which is the Funbari No Uta that was published in Shounen Jump (with Hana).. except this one is like an introduction to it.. (it's only 2 pages though)
Kasumi
So you mean FnU was being published at the end of each volume? Well, given that the manga has ended, I guess FnU will continue in Akamaru Jump anyway. I believe chapter 5 of Funbari no Uta recently published? I'm sorry, I know I'm getting annoying, I ask too many questions. XD
anime lover girl
QUOTE(Kihaku @ Oct 26 2004, 08:36 AM)
My favourite character would be Lyzerg, he's so cute(love the green hair!)

Me too!!!!!!!He's just to cute wub.gif
Kasumi
Yeah, Lyserg is a fan-favourite for most. For me, it's Usui Horokeu (aka HoroHoro) wub.gif
anime lover girl
@Kasumi:do you like him?
Kasumi
Lyserg? Yeah, I guess... But I like Horo better. biggrin.gif
Chibi Viki
thanks for the link, kasumi!

hmm... so that's how SK ended... and i kinda understand that princess hao thing (well, a little).
Vx Tao Ren xV
I don't @.@... I'm so confused..

and yeah, Horo rocks ^^
Kasumi
I just found the scans for FnU chapter 5... This is it everyone, the end of the end. It says "owari" at the end of this chapter, which means, no more SK and no more FnU. sad.gif

http://www.dzalpha.net/imgs/FnU501.jpg

http://www.dzalpha.net/imgs/FnU502.jpg

http://www.dzalpha.net/imgs/FnU503.jpg

http://www.dzalpha.net/imgs/FnU504.jpg

http://www.dzalpha.net/imgs/FnU505.jpg
Vx Tao Ren xV
I've only seen chapter 1 sooo.. yeah.. I'm just confused about so much.. I think I'm pretty much a lost cause ^_^;; Sankyuu for the scans though.. ^_^
Kasumi
Even if you had read all 5 chapters, you might still be confused. Truthfully, I've read all 5 chapters, but I still really know what's going on... *sighs* Takei, what are you thinking? Why are you letting your readers guess at what happened? Why didn't you at least leave some sort of explanation!?

I was hoping things will get wrapped up in FnU, but no, Takei decided to end it this way! Grr...

EDIT: *after calming down a bit* Well, now that I think about it, maybe Takei wanted to convey some sort of hidden message but we just haven't been able to figure out yet...(He does that a lot) But I wonder, what was the whole purpose of FnU? It didn't explain much...if at all...

(BTW, the reason I'm frustrated with the ending was because this wasn't how I expected it to end...I was expecting a clearer ending. And, I've always looked forward to seeing the ending, but it turned out like this...)

OK, enough of my ranting now. biggrin.gif
Vx Tao Ren xV
Uhmm.. maybe he was bored one day and said, "Hmmmm... wouldn't it be funny if Ryu drove a truck, Chocolove was in jail, and nothing made any sense at all?! Oh, how fun that would be! *insert cheesy grin here*" ::shakes head:: You're a very twisted man, Takei-sensei....

And yeah, I was expecting a clear-cut ending too.. but alas! Oh, the disappointment.. oh, the confusion... oh, the illogical-ness of it all..

::shrugs:: Oh well! Worst comes to worst, I'll just go into a heavy state of denial and spend the rest of my days in happy fangirl land (where all of the Shaman King [and Fullmetal Alchemist ^_^] characters roam happily.. where glomping is perfectly legal, and ranting is a way of life)! ^_^

..anyone care to join me? There'll be refreshments!
AoiSora
I will join you.. I can be the local stalker! I can just be there and watch Roy and Hawkeye and Anna and Yoh all day! laugh.gif Oh oh can I be in the military and work with Roy and Hawkeye too??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.