Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2
Tris the Reaper
Higurashi When They Cry (ひぐらしのなく頃に Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) The first anime series, produced by Studio Deen and directed by Chiaki Kon, covers the four question arcs as well as the first two answer arcs. The original Higurashi no Naku Koro ni anime adaptation aired in Japan between April 4 and September 26, 2006, comprising twenty-six episodes.
(Source - Wiki)

Am I the only person here that has bore witness to this amazing, yet at times, utterly confusing series?

It's an anime based off a series of visual novels that were released through 2002 to 2006. The anime came out last year and the first season clocks in at 26 episodes, while the second season, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, just started airing in Japan this month.

And since I suck at explaining plots, I'll quote Wikipedia's summary of it.

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni takes place during June 1983, at a fictional rural village called Hinamizawa (雛見沢, Hinamizawa) (based on the village of Shirakawa, Gifu, a World Heritage Site), which has a population of approximately 2000. The main character, Keiichi Maebara, moves to Hinamizawa and befriends his new classmates Rena Ryugu, Mion Sonozaki, Rika Furude, and Satoko Hojo. Keiichi joins their after-school club activities, which consist mostly of card and board games (and punishment games for the loser, usually him.) Hinamizawa appears to be a normal, peaceful, rural village to Keiichi. However, the tranquility abruptly ends after the annual Watanagashi Festival, a celebration to commemorate and give thanks to the local god, Oyashiro-sama. Keiichi learns that for the past four years, one person has been murdered and another has gone missing on the day of the Watanagashi Festival. Keiichi himself soon becomes implicated into the strange events surrounding the Watanagashi Festival and Oyashiro-sama. In each story arc, he or one of his friends become paranoid, and a crime is committed. Usually, the crime involves the murder of one of their own friends. While it seems impossible to tell their delusions apart from the mystery of Hinamizawa, slowly the truth is revealed.

Genres: drama, horror, mystery, psychological, thriller
Themes: death, gore, harem, moe, troublesome kids, twins
Episodes: 24
Age Rating:
Mature Intense (graphic depictions of sex, drug use, or bloodshed)
(Source: ANN)

I've seen up to episode 17, and am having extreme trouble refraining myself from watching more -- it's addicting as heck. Once I get the funds, I definately want to pick up the DVDs.

Also, this anime is not for the kiddies -- depictions of gruesome murder [some of which was actually "darkened out" when aired on Japanese television] abound. It made me flinch on numerous occasions, something which rarely happens to me when it comes down to it.

*hopes the thread doesn't die*
Nekokitty
Oooh, oooh pick me!
I've only seen the first four episodes, but so far it's amazing.
I'm trying to avoid watching it online because it's liscensed and I'd rather purchase the dvds.
Tris the Reaper
OHMYGODAPOST *DIES*

Mmmyeah, I wanna buy the DVDs myself [I'm one of the few that perfers dubs over subs], but I currently lack the funds. Plus I'm too far into the series now, so stopping watching where I am now would make me wonder WTF will happen next.

[Plus, the second season is, as of yet, unlicensed to my knowledge, so...yeah >>]
Nekokitty
I'd skip to the second season but then I'd feel like I'm cheating. TwT

Sigh...then again I saw the entire Elfen Lied series online so I guess it wouldn't hurt to watch the rest of Higurashi and when the boxed sets come out, I can purchase them.
I want to hear the dub as well.

Blitz
My brother's been obsessed with this series as of late. I saw the first episode of Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. Bloody as hell. XD
Ailuro
I love this series. Nuff said.
Carnal Malefactor
I've downloaded it but haven't started watching yet. Gotta get through Mai-HiME first... if I can tolerate it...
Popogeejo
So is it just cute girls wiggin' out or does it have something better going for it.
Don't get me wrong, cute girls wiggin' out is pretty cool but the character designs look rather poor and reviews I've read had mixed feelings about it.
Tris the Reaper
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Jul 24 2007, 08:12 PM) *
So is it just cute girls wiggin' out or does it have something better going for it.
Don't get me wrong, cute girls wiggin' out is pretty cool but the character designs look rather poor and reviews I've read had mixed feelings about it.

Cute girls wigging out, but IMO, it's got a good mystery to it to try to figure out. The series "resets" itself every 2-6 episodes and presents a murder in a different presentation. The arcs all connect somehow, it's just up to the viewer to figure out. The second season is supposed to answer a majority of the questions.

If what I read is true, though, then June 1983 is on an eternal repeat for some reason. Though why, I dunno. Then again that was found on Wiki, so its credibility can be questioned.

You'll either love it for it's shock value and as it constantly keeps you guessing, or you'll hate it for being confusing and an poor character designs. I've seen more people like it than not, so who knows.
Carnal Malefactor
DEADLYYYYYYY LOOOOOOLIIIIIIIIS!
Tris the Reaper
I should totally edit my first post and put that as my summary and see if I can get away with it.

In other, related news, I just finished the first season today, and the second looks very promising~

*goes to watch episode three of KAI*
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Tris the Reaper @ Jul 29 2007, 06:37 AM) *
I should totally edit my first post and put that as my summary and see if I can get away with it.

In other, related news, I just finished the first season today, and the second looks very promising~

*goes to watch episode three of KAI*

From what I've heard you should keep your eyes peeled for ghost images or Hayuu (or whatever her name is).
Not sure if that's a spoiler or not...I've only seen on cap of it though so far and it could easily be a shoop.
Carnal Malefactor
Man, if they didn't darken some of these scenes, this show would probably qualify as all-out guro. I'm really glad they showed some restraint in the scene where Shion stabs Satoko about 2 dozen times blink.gif
Tris the Reaper
^ I actually saw a screencap of Satoko after Shion delievered the final blow undarkened...it's surprisngly not as bad as compared to events later episodes, such as where Rena beats her father's "girlfriend" to death with a baseball bat, among other things. Haven't seen that undarkened, but I dunno if I want to at this point. mellow.gif

Still, it's sad to see someone so young die, even if it's in an anime. Though I kinda thought it was hilarious where Shion peed herself after remembering that Satoshi told her to take care of Satoko XD
Carnal Malefactor
On a lighter note, I think Rika might be related to Suiseiseiseiseiseiseiseiseiseki somehow... desu...
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Tris the Reaper @ Jul 29 2007, 05:15 PM) *
it's surprisngly not as bad as compared to events later episodes, such as where Rena beats her father's "girlfriend" to death with a baseball bat

It was a pipe fitting. And that b*tch had it coming. I laughed when that happened. laugh.gif
Tris the Reaper
It was? Ooops. Bad memory.

And as did I. Well, it was the first time I actually cheered for a character to get ownt.

...Now I need to finish episode 3 of KAI. I shall do that now.

I love Satoko's evil laugh. XD

EDIT: I think we have our first ghost sighting.

You have to look long and hard to see her...but she's there.

What's more is that I has that scene paused for a good long while...so now I feel kinda dumb for not noticing. mellow.gif
Popogeejo
I'm not sure what's going on in the latest episodes, I'm still working through the first season, but this cap and other similar ones have been kicking around on /a/
May contain spoilers of a cute little ghost.
Tris the Reaper
Yeap, I just got done watching episode six, and Hanyuu makes her first visible appearance.

'Bout time too, I adore her already...I plan on cosplaying as her at a con next year. Outfit seems simple enough.
Tris the Reaper
...The fact that Rika and Satoko's actors are obviously 10x older than they should be bothers me.

Don't get me wrong, I know having little children on a movie based of an anime with such violence isn't smrt, but really. Then again we got child actors working in PG-13/R-rated horror movies, so...
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Tris the Reaper @ Aug 13 2007, 08:56 PM) *
...The fact that Rika and Satoko's actors are obviously 10x older than they should be bothers me.

Mion needs Green hair. Screw reality. Also, Satoko's could be anywhere from 12 to 21. I can't tell unless I see her next to someone else.

Don't get me wrong, I know having little children on a movie based of an game/visual novel with such violence isn't smart, but really. Then again we got child actors working in PG-13/R-rated horror movies, so...

You got a sever year old to act in The Shining without him even knowing it was a horror film. You can pretty much get kids to do anything aslong as you lie to them.

That could have sounded better...
Tris the Reaper
The full versions of Naraku no Hana and Taishou e have finally been released. I can't post the links because I don't believe that is allowed, but I will say this: Naraku no Hana owns my soul.
Tris the Reaper
Hanyuu's tantrum was the best thing in that episode.

Everyone's saying how hilarious Takano's chibi explosion was, though to be quite honest, it scares me. Probably because she scared me too much to begin with. She's le creepy.
Popogeejo
Anyone else download Nekogoroshi-hen?

She's le creepy.

Droopy-tan is a harmless druggy who's stoned out of her empty little head.

Tris the Reaper
^ I would pay good money for that.

So episode 8 of Kai had psycho Rika.

Any thoughts?[/feebleattempttokeepthreadonpageone]
Carnal Malefactor
Scary Rika is SCAAAAAARY [not to mention very poorly animated]
Popogeejo
Gonna have to wait for the arc to finish.
Some very high grade emo facial contortion from Rika though. Can't compete with Shmions ladder episode though.
Tris the Reaper
Or Shimon's "honest" face as she was teasing the real Mion whilst Mion was behind bars in that one episode that I seem to have forgotten the number of. Tha twas just freaky.

Bump for great justice And feebile attempt to beat out Fushi's Lucky Star thread ph34r.gif Mod can slap me if they wish.

Did anyone else have trouble finding episode 10 to Kai? I think it was out late...
Popogeejo
I usually wait for WinD's .avi's and they usually come out the day before the next ep.
Just use TT to find subs or Raws/.ass files.
Tris the Reaper
Thread, you will live. Thread, you will prosper! THREAD...

...Oh who am I kidding dry.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Aug 23 2007, 06:55 PM) *
She's le creepy.

You may wanna revise that, Popo. laugh.gif
Tris the Reaper
And you all thought I was fretting for no reason.

WHO HAS THE LAST LAUGH NOW, HUH?!? [or lack thereof]
Carnal Malefactor
I was creeped out by her ever since the K1-goes-ballistic arc.
Tris the Reaper
I never liked her from the start.

I dunno, something about blondes that sound like they're on an acid trip gets me.

That, and I accidentally came across "Takano" and "real killer" in the same sentence some time ago ph34r.gif
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Carnal Malefactor @ Oct 4 2007, 03:13 AM) *
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Aug 23 2007, 06:55 PM) *
She's le creepy.

You may wanna revise that, Popo. laugh.gif

Okay, she's the female Light Yagmi...
When I can find better comparison shots your head may explode.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Tris the Reaper
Shoot, I need to see episode 13.

But, with those comparison shots, do I see another "Cowboy Bebop/Naruto" fiasco? Then again, Naruto sucks, so of course it'll rip off better anime ph34r.gif
Nekokitty
Wow, the comparisons are so similar it's scary. O_o
Gah, I need to go watch Kai.
Tris the Reaper
So I was watching the 13h episode of Kai [finally] when I notice, after Mion goes to be "bait" that Shion yells "Why did she have to be an hero?!"

Ahaha, silly /b/tards.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Tris the Reaper @ Oct 7 2007, 03:57 AM) *
So I was watching the 13h episode of Kai [finally] when I notice, after Mion goes to be "bait" that Shion yells "Why did she have to be an hero?!"

Ahaha, silly /b/tards.

Which subs are you using?
Tris the Reaper
Sadly, this time, I had to scrape the bottom of the barrel and go to crappy ol' Crunchyroll for the video. Horrid audio quality throughout. So it didn't say.

Though I know I usually use/see Philanthropy's subs. This wasn't them though, I know.
Carnal Malefactor
I'm watching Kai14

Aw. Loli!Takano is so cute. No coincidence, the dialogue with her grandfather at the beginning reminds me of Sherry from Resident Evil 2.

In other news, I wanna do a metal version of "Naraku no Hana" with a bunch of staccato palm-muted minor 3rds under the lead melody, and include this crazy solo that's nothing but tapping and ascending 7ths.

\m/
Popogeejo
Finally watching ep 14. I like how people made a fuss over Hanyuu appearing as a still in the OP but not her other, much more interesting appearance at the end of it...
Tris the Reaper
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Oct 16 2007, 10:00 AM) *
Finally watching ep 14. I like how people made a fuss over Hanyuu appearing as a still in the OP but not her other, much more interesting appearance at the end of it...

I myself already knew about Hanyuu making that appearance eventually, so it didn't surprise me as much [although I didn't expect that to suddenly be cut to after Rika's waving at the end].

I think it's because "RED EYE EVIL HANYUU" is so...surprising for a character like her. I mean, so far, all we've seen is this cute little purple-haired ghost that went "Auauauauau" and "Hauu~" and the like, and now all of the sudden we see "HOMG RED EYE EVIL HANYUU RUN YOUR YOUR LIFE"

...Though, when thinking about how Higurashi has killer loli's, then I guess I/we shouldn't really be surprised. huh.gif
Popogeejo
POPO TAKES A MEME TO SERIOUSLY

I never go the killer lolis thing.
I know it lust came from a joke about not selling subs on Ebay ("If you try and sell these subs or auction on them the killer lolis will get you") but there are no killer lolis!
Not one person who's made a kill has been a loli and Rika and Satoko, the only actual lolis, have been good girls.

There are no killer lolis in my kiler loli animu!
Tris the Reaper
I couldn't think of a better term to use. >>

Yeah, one fansubbing group had their subs yanked and someone tried to sell them on eBay, so soon they tacked the "Do not sell this fansub, or you will face the wrath of killer lolis!" on the in-betweeners. Or something to that extent.

Anyways, episode 15 is out now, and I eagerly await for whichever crappy video-sharing site will have it first.

Though from what I see, it's just more about Takano's past, and only the last three minutes or so contain anything else [on the Oyashiro-sama comm on LJ, someone posted a vid containing evil!Hanyuu in the bit, but I refused to watch it P:].
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Tris the Reaper @ Oct 16 2007, 09:30 PM) *
Anyways, episode 15 is out now, and I eagerly await for whichever crappy video-sharing site will have it first.

Try getting Raws and .ass files when it comes out. Very easy to use, just make sure the files have the same name. Media player classic or Winamp should be able to do the rest without you having to do anything else. It's great if you don't want to wait for hardsubs.

EDIT
Stupid word filter. Whoever told it to change ass to arse really needs to grow up. Seriously, is "ass" really that bad? They say it in shows rated lower than FMA so censoring it is completely retarded.
Tris the Reaper
Well either way, I did see eposode 15.

Thoughts? :B </necromancy>
Popogeejo
Tanako is becoming more understandable. Nice to see what motivates a character and next week she gets meet Hanyuu so that'll be a barrel of fun.
I'm missing Rena and co. though so I hope next ep wraps up this exposition arc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.