Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cloverfield
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Movies, TV Shows, & Other Videos
Carnal Malefactor
http://haasunderground.blogspot.com/

^go there if you're completely clueless.

But for those who know, what do you make of it? I've seen a bunch of theories floated, but none of the more popular ones are especially appealing.

My personal favorite is also probably the least likely - http://youtube.com/watch?v=l4f8ctCKjTY
It would be incredibly badass if they did this, but knowing Hollywood, they'd want no part of this because it's so bleak.

My least favorite theory is one I came up with myself - that this is that dreaded live-action Evangelion film we've been hearing rumors about. Of course, given the kind of footage we see in the trailer, it seems unlikely, but you never know. Giant monsters do blow stuff up in a big metropolis in that series, and there's those uncomfortable Japanese tie-ins that Paramount is floating.
asunder
obviously it'll be a longer version of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyijWbML82s
Carnal Malefactor

Whatever it is, it comes from the water...
Popogeejo
Aquaman?
The Cod Father?
SHAMU!?
Fushi
...the Kraken?
Popogeejo
No....
Narwhals!
Great Horned Whales...with laser eyes and spats.

Vikings are also possible.

Whatever it is I will b*tch and complain about it. If it's Cthulhu I will declare that it should have been something original, is it's something original I will insist it should have been a monster from some cult horror series from the 60-80's and if it is some beast from such a show I will point out it should have been Cthulhu.
I am the internet and no one can win against me so there tongue.gif
Chiyo
Finally, I heard enough about this to come a lookin, and frankly glad I did as I simply must know more. From the first brief trailer I saw it felt a bit War of the Worlds-esque.

But clearly you are all wrong...its Nessie on holiday...or fricken sharks with lazer beams attatched to their fricken heads
Chiyo
Trailer 2

Managed to see a copy of the second trailer and damn does it answer so little when it seems to show so much. Comments about biting monsters and such
Carnal Malefactor
So I found out what the monster is...

It's a giant mutated humpback whale

There are also a whole bunch of smaller 'parasite' monsters running around, which are
giant mutated whale lice

I'm just glad it's not Godzilla or Cthulhu, or some other pre-existing creation.
Toby-Chan
From some of the hints it would seem almost like a disguised attempt to re-make "Gwoemul" for the US, but then there are a lot of fundamental differences there.

Wonder if it'll be any good.
coyote_sprit
QUOTE(Carnal Malefactor @ Jan 1 2008, 11:06 PM) *
So I found out what the monster is...

It's a giant mutated humpback whale

There are also a whole bunch of smaller 'parasite' monsters running around, which are
giant mutated whale lice

I'm just glad it's not Godzilla or Cthulhu, or some other pre-existing creation.

Cthulhu would be the sweetest thing ever.
Carnal Malefactor
CTHULHU DOES NOT RAMPAGE IN MAJOR METROPOLI!
Fushi
You were wrong about the monster Ro.

Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled.

Not a good enough look, but enough to say it's not a whale. :P
Little Washu
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Jan 20 2008, 05:44 PM) *

Not a good enough look, but enough to say it's not a whale. tongue.gif

Seeing that makes Carnal Malefactor's post:
My least favorite theory is one I came up with myself - that this is that dreaded live-action Evangelion film we've been hearing rumors about.

Seem more, 'plausible'. I mean, I can see the resemblance between that and this.

Still, I want to see the movie.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Jan 21 2008, 12:44 AM) *

I'm pretty sure that chap is, if it's even real, one of the "parasites" rather than the actual Monster.
Fushi
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Jan 20 2008, 06:16 PM) *
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Jan 21 2008, 12:44 AM) *

I'm pretty sure that chap is, if it's even real, one of the "parasites" rather than the actual Monster.

Unlikely.

For starters, the entire movie is shot from the pov of a handheld camera. That shot is looking up. There would be no need to do that with the parasites as they aren't particularily ginormous. You could get a shot of them with a handheld just by looking straight in front of you. That shot looks more like someone from below zoomed in to get a better look and OH NOES LOOK THE MONSTER SPOTTED YOU RUN AWAAAAAAAAAAAY.

Also, it was posted by guys who saw the movie and are trying to redraw the monster as best they can. It was actually posted here in the comments (once again, don't look if you wish to avoid spoilers)

Either way, when my friend went to go see it, I immediately harassed her afterwords asking what it was and what it looked like. She said that this drawing is the most accurate out of all the drawings people have done. (That's her opinion tho, but you can definitely see similarities between it and the other drawings, such as those front legs) So I would say that creature in the gif is definitely our monster.

As for what the monster is? Never really revealed although there's a hint at the end suggesting that it is most likely extraterrestrial.

Yep, I'm a spoiler whore. Waited till the movie came out to get all the goods. Did the same thing with Harry Potter, heh.

But anyways, from what I heard this movie is extremely well done with the way it was filmed and is very awesome. I'll sit out going to see it in theatres because I would probably get a motion sickness from something like that on a big screen, but on video? Hell yeah.
Popogeejo
For starters, the entire movie is shot from the pov of a handheld camera. That shot is looking up. There would be no need to do that with the parasites as they aren't particularily ginormous. You could get a shot of them with a handheld just by looking straight in front of you. That shot looks more like someone from below zoomed in to get a better look and OH NOES LOOK THE MONSTER SPOTTED YOU RUN AWAAAAAAAAAAAY.

No fair using logic!

I've been hearing less favourable reviews, mostly about the lack of plot progression/substance. One friend says it feels more like a well done TV pilot than a stand alone film.
Fushi
Tbh, I never really expected any sort of plot once the second trailer came out. Just a bunch of people running around New York in the middle of a monster attack.
Chiyo
So after all the hype as to what the creature is, you never really see it well or find out what it is?
Popogeejo
Having read some leaked notes, you get some good shots of it.
Helicopter ride allows for a good view.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.