Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Last Ep Song Question
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Music > FMA-1 Anime Music > Hagaren Song Files: FMA-1 Character Songs
edwinluvr
Hi, I was in a restaurant the other day that was playing classical/instrumental music and a song came on that I recognized from FMA's ep. 51. With the exception of the famous musical piece played when Ed first saw the zepplins, I thought the rest of the music was orginal to FMA.

Now, I really like the song and would love to know what it's called if anyone has any idea at all!

It was first played in 51 as Al and Winry were saying goodbye when he's on the train. Al's saying how he'll get brother back and they all be together again. The song continues through most of the episode after that.

I don't really know what instrument/s they used, maybe something like an oboe.

Thanks in advance! ~.~
Zachelle
I think that was 'Brothers' by BEPA. I'm not really sure though.
Was it also the song when they burned their house down? Because if it was, then that's definitely 'Brothers' smile.gif
It's an orchestra.
Tombow
Yeah, I think that was Brothers, but let's wait for few more confirmation posts from some of the FMA music experts!! ^^

Later on, I'll merge this to Song hunting thread. ^^
Amethyst Sunset
Actually, the first time the piece is played, Riza is crying over Roy's body, thinking he's dead. Then it continues till Envy meets Ed at the Gate, and Envy turns into a dragon and disappears into the other side. It's a piano solo, then it's accompanied by other instrument/s the second time, which is the train thing.

The piece is Etude in E Major, Op. 10, No. 3, by Frédéric Chopin, and entitled Wakare no Kyoku (Tune of Separation) on the third FMA OST. There are two versions - the piano solo and the one accompanied by an oboe, I think. I think there are also some strings.

EDIT: I'm currently teaching myself to play this piece on the piano. It's a very beautiful piece, albeit quite hard for me to master (Stupid sharps! XD).

DOUBLE EDIT: After poking through Wiki, it turns out that the zeppelin music is the first movement of Beethoven's Symphony #5. It's called Fate on the FMA OST.
TheRainbowConnection
Damn, beaten by Amethyst Sunset! laugh.gif

I have to admit that I enjoy FMA's orchestrated version of the song a little more than the original piano solo, though.

Also, I've always thought the song to be a little too resigned and not wistful enough for the nature of the separation at the end between Ed and Al and Winry, if that makes any sense at all. I thought it fit well with the Riza/Mustang bits, as at least they were both alive and recovering. However, with Ed's fate so very uncertain at that point in time, this piece seemed to be more reminiscent and seemed to be writing Ed off for good. Oh well, it may just be me, though. Incredibly pretty piece.

It has been classified as a Tone Poem for piano by some critics, and is highly regarded as a quality manifestation of Chopin's love for Romantic Opera and Poland, where he was born. During a lesson with one of his pupils, Adolf Gutmann, he began weeping and cried, "Oh, my homeland!".[1] Chopin was said to have also noted this piece as the most intimate piece he has ever composed, stating that "In all my life I have never again been able to find such a beautiful melody." (Wiki)

EDIT: punctuation
Amethyst Sunset
Ehe...sorry. XD Ever since hearing the piece for the first time on FMA I have become rather...uh, obsessed with it. XDDDD And add the fact that I am a Royai supporter.

It really is an intimate piece. And of course, the orchestrated version would have more depth; it's to be expected.

I thought the piece was all right for the Elrics' scene, since [spoiler]they're separated and everything (hence Tune of Separation XD), but in a way, even though the piece is less than happy or optimistic, and seemingly heralds the end of the series there's still that little grain of hope somewhere. And of course, it doesn't play all throughout; the background music changes to Way Home (FMA OST I), I think, which is a lot more optimistic[/spoiler]. It absolutely nailed that moment between Roy and Riza, however.

But maaaaan, there's a part where I REALLY have to stretch my fingers to be able to reach the keys on the piano. XDDDDD
edwinluvr
blink.gif Well I feel stupid now! Turns out after reading here that the piece I was looking for was Wakare no Kyoku I actually had it already! !-.-

I don't know how I missed it before! >_< The reason why I asked what the piece was was because I thought I didn't have it and wanted to download it once I knew the title. I guess because it was not a piece original to FMA, I figured it wouldn't be on the album which I had.

Sorry to Tombow and Zachelle, I should've put that I knew it wasn't 'Brothers' beforehand. I know that piece very well since it's my favorite and just forgot to list it on here that it wasn't the piece I was looking for.

Amethyst Sunset, thanks for pointing out that the song started in ep 50, I didn't remember that, I just rememberd it being in 51. I haven't seen any eps. for a while now, so my memory was a bit rusty! !^.^

Thanks everyone for all replies, hopefully someone else will need this info so it won't be a waste! -.-
Amethyst Sunset
Actually, I've tried playing Chopin's Etude on the piano, and it's a bit different from Wakare no Kyoku. There is a variation of the tune that is in the original Etude, but not in Wakare. Maybe you could say that it was inspired by Chopin's piece, but is not the exact thing.

But we were glad to be of some help. happy.gif We also owe Wikipedia XDDDDDDD
Chibi_Girl29
wakare no kyoku : tune of separation
there's one with the piano solo !i prefer that one !it's when riza founds roy unconscious (ep 51)
Amethyst Sunset
QUOTE(Chibi_Girl29 @ Aug 3 2007, 05:14 PM) *
wakare no kyoku : tune of separation
there's one with the piano solo !i prefer that one !it's when riza founds roy unconscious (ep 51)

Yup, we've established that. happy.gif It really depends on you if you like the piano solo or the one with accompanying instruments.

And hey, let's not spoil other people, just in case they're poking around this thread and haven't finished FMA yet. wink.gif
Fujihakama
If you're talking about the music that runs through the ending credits, that OST is called Way Home, but if you're talking about some thing else then I'm useless.... wacko.gif
Amethyst Sunset
QUOTE(Fujihakama @ Oct 11 2007, 02:51 PM) *
If you're talking about the music that runs through the ending credits, that OST is called Way Home, but if you're talking about some thing else then I'm useless.... wacko.gif

Yes, Way Home is the piece that plays during the ending credits in the very last episode. happy.gif

It was first played in 51 as Al and Winry were saying goodbye when he's on the train. Al's saying how he'll get brother back and they all be together again. The song continues through most of the episode after that.

But we were talking about the music playing during this scene. It doesn't change into Way Home for a while as it runs through a few scenes first.

No, you're not useless. happy.gif You're right, anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.