Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pirates Of The Caribbean
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Movies, TV Shows, & Other Videos
Alchemical
Hello! To start off, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place (it is a movie, so I doubt it is), there are other threads about this already (I DID search), or this is just annoying.

There will be spoilers!

Now, concerning just PotC 3, what was your opinion? Was it better or worse than the first two? Was it too confusing or too long/short? Was the little clip after the end enough to end the Pirates saga, or do you think there should/will a sequel?

In my opinion, PotC 3 was a lot better than the second one, and just as good as the first. And I enjoyed the length and plot twist. [spoiler]The twist concerning Will becoming the new captain of the Dutchman surprised me, but I kind of enjoyed it. And the ending clip was amazing.[/spoiler]
MasterKris
I didn't stay after to watch the little clip at the end. What happened? *wants to know badly* >_<

For me, it was incredibly confusing and I didn't get it at all. My brother said he understanded everything, so I guess my brain didn't follow the story well. In truth after watching the third one, I kinda wished they hadn't made the sequel and just left the first one to end there. Yeah the amazing graphics and the battles took my and everyone's breath away, but the whole plot and the ending, I think the first one is actually the best one and third one the last. It definately had better CF and all those graphics, but still I prefer the first and second over the third if I had to watch it over again. I like the second one cause all the actions and battles were really unique and fun to watch.

The world wide pirate captains didn't seem that much significant to the final battle and also including the appearance of Jack's you-know-who. I think there was less comedy this time too.

For characters, Jack was pretty much himself and I enjoyed most of him at the end of the movie. Elizabeth, she's literally kissing any man she finds and going beserk over everything. William, I didn't like him too much in this one and especially what happens to him at the end.

However though, I loved the landscape and the last battle at the end. It definately was THE highlight of the movie. [spoiler]Barbrossa marrying the two couple while fighting off the fishmen on the ship sailing around a whirlpool with a gigantic storm over them was a killer. XD The fight between Jack and Davy Jones was incredibly funny and exciting since they were fighting while balancing on a log at the same time. [/spoiler]

Overall, the rum joke seriously gotta stop.
Alchemical
QUOTE(MasterKris @ May 30 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]548616[/snapback]
I didn't stay after to watch the little clip at the end. What happened? *wants to know badly* >_<

For me, it was incredibly confusing and I didn't get it at all. My brother said he understanded everything, so I guess my brain didn't follow the story well. In truth after watching the third one, I kinda wished they hadn't made the sequel and just left the first one to end there. Yeah the amazing graphics and the battles took my and everyone's breath away, but the whole plot and the ending, I think the first one is actually the best one and third one the last. It definately had better CF and all those graphics, but still I prefer the first and second over the third if I had to watch it over again. I like the second one cause all the actions and battles were really unique and fun to watch.

The world wide pirate captains didn't seem that much significant to the final battle and also including the appearance of Jack's you-know-who. I think there was less comedy this time too.

For characters, Jack was pretty much himself and I enjoyed most of him at the end of the movie. Elizabeth, she's literally kissing any man she finds and going beserk over everything. William, I didn't like him too much in this one and especially what happens to him at the end.

However though, I loved the landscape and the last battle at the end. It definately was THE highlight of the movie. [spoiler]Barbrossa marrying the two couple while fighting off the fishmen on the ship sailing around a whirlpool with a gigantic storm over them was a killer. XD The fight between Jack and Davy Jones was incredibly funny and exciting since they were fighting while balancing on a log at the same time. [/spoiler]

Overall, the rum joke seriously gotta stop.

[spoiler]The clip at the end had Elizabeth and her son standing on a cliff beside the ocean, ten years in the future. It shows Elizabeth's glow green for a moment and it reverts back to the sea with Will standing on his ship. I thought it was amazing^^

And, if I get married, I sooo want to be married in the middle of a huge fight by a pirate. x3[/spoiler]

Yeah, the graphics and the fights were amazing to me, and it was incredibly confusing at times. I had to sit and think before I actually understood what all ad happened.
Slashrose1010
I thought the first and third were pretty equal in rank, and I didn't like the second one as much. The second has more plot twists and was harder to follow, but the characters, save Davie Jones, were a lot less memorable and it didn't command your attention, unlike the third one.

I think a lot of people disliked the fact that Barbosa and Emily are very important characters in the movie, rather than showing Jack and William all time. The Pirate Captains seemed more like a plot device if anything (and yes, Keith Richards was rather pointless, but he was actually supposed to be in the second but he was on tour with The Rolling Stones. It's likely he'll be in the fourth with a slightly more important role.) The captains' items were used to release Calypso, which pretty much set up the final fight scene.

I liked how the movie was a bit more serious. The second movie just recycled a LOT of the jokes from the first movie and it wasn't as funny the second time around. It had just enough comedy to lighten the mood where it needed it, though, imo. The best part of the film is honestly the action, though. The final battle is farging intense!!!! I felt that this movie was everything Matrix: Revelations aspired to be, but failed.

I think where most people felt cheated or soured was the ending though... [spoiler]I am not so sure people like the idea of Will being the captain of the Flying Dutchman, especially if he can only be with Emily once every 10 years. Also, I think people wanted a conclusion, rather than an ending which surely will lead to a fourth film. The next film seems to be about The Fountain Youth, which is so lame and cliché, I am not so sure they can pull it off, and I think they should have stopped with Pirates 3.[/spoiler]
Alchemical
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Jun 2 2007, 10:22 AM) [snapback]549317[/snapback]
I thought the first and third were pretty equal in rank, and I didn't like the second one as much. The second has more plot twists and was harder to follow, but the characters, save Davie Jones, were a lot less memorable and it didn't command your attention, unlike the third one.

I think a lot of people disliked the fact that Barbosa and Emily are very important characters in the movie, rather than showing Jack and William all time. The Pirate Captains seemed more like a plot device if anything (and yes, Keith Richards was rather pointless, but he was actually supposed to be in the second but he was on tour with The Rolling Stones. It's likely he'll be in the fourth with a slightly more important role.) The captains' items were used to release Calypso, which pretty much set up the final fight scene.

I liked how the movie was a bit more serious. The second movie just recycled a LOT of the jokes from the first movie and it wasn't as funny the second time around. It had just enough comedy to lighten the mood where it needed it, though, imo. The best part of the film is honestly the action, though. The final battle is farging intense!!!! I felt that this movie was everything Matrix: Revelations aspired to be, but failed.

I think where most people felt cheated or soured was the ending though... [spoiler]I am not so sure people like the idea of Will being the captain of the Flying Dutchman, especially if he can only be with Emily once every 10 years. Also, I think people wanted a conclusion, rather than an ending which surely will lead to a fourth film. The next film seems to be about The Fountain Youth, which is so lame and cliché, I am not so sure they can pull it off, and I think they should have stopped with Pirates 3.[/spoiler]

I agree about the second. I could always watch the first and third movies again, but the second was too hard to follow for me and it never completely grabbed my attention.

Although it amused me, I also agree that Keith Richards was pointless in the whole thing. He was, if nothing more, just another pirate extra really. dry.gif

When I was leaving the theater, I asked my friends if they thought there would be a fourth movie, considering the way it ended. And while I hope there will be on, my brother's girlfriend told she read in a magazine that Depp, Bloom, and Knightley were refusing to do a fourth.
Slashrose1010
If they refuse, that is a rather crappy conclusion... because it's extremely inconclusive. I don't see how they can read the script to Pirates 3, film it then refuse to do a fourth with the way it ended. I guess they'll just have to get Sylvester Stallone to play Jack Sparrow XP
Alchemical
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Jun 2 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]549354[/snapback]
If they refuse, that is a rather crappy conclusion... because it's extremely inconclusive. I don't see how they can read the script to Pirates 3, film it then refuse to do a fourth with the way it ended. I guess they'll just have to get Sylvester Stallone to play Jack Sparrow XP

Yes, that would be a rather horrible ending to a series that's become so famous. I'm hoping the article was wrong, or my brother's girlfriend read it wrong.

Heh, Sylvester Stallone as Jack Sparrow? That would turn into to a total boxing-pirate comedy! XD
Menelvir
Well I liked the third movie well enough, considering my friends have been trying to convince me that it's bad before I watched it. Didn't rock as much as the first, but at least there was some semblence of a plot, unlike in the second movie. (No, I never got why Jack had to get marooned on that island with all the tribal natives, although that was where the some of the funniest scenes happened.)

And yes, plot-wise, the third movie kind of threw me off at parts. [spoiler]You have to keep track of what everyone's REAL motives are, and who's trying to betray who at which moment.[/spoiler]

I didn't like the ending. I would have prefered it if [spoiler]Will and Elizabeth had lived happily ever after. [/spoiler] But I will hate Walt Disney even more if they chose to do a fourth movie, because Pirates was planned to be a trilogy, and I like a writer/director/producer that can keep his or her word and stick to what is planned. Usually when a director etc tries to do more than he planned, those sequels will fail miserably plot-wise, and they're sinister plans to cash in on the initial fame anyway.

No one's mentioned the soundtrack yet. Material from the first two movies are quite heavily recycled, but then again, that's the reason why themes exist: they're supposed to be recurring. There's new stuff too. [spoiler]I personally like the song that boy sings at the start: Hoist the Colours. I think that there's an eerie feel to it, quite unlike the usual pirate song (e.g. Yo ho, Yo ho, a Pirate's Life for Me), and yet there's a sense of camaraderie when the pirates sing it together, really quite appropriate for this movie.[/spoiler]

It's strange that after all the events in the three movies, everyone's left where they started. [spoiler]Barbossa with the Black Pearl and a crew not yet immortal (well undead counts as immortal right?), but searching for it; Jack Sparrow with a small boat, sans sinking; Gibbs being woken up with liquid poured over him (well you get what I mean); and Will and Elizabeth, in love, yet cannot be together (although for different reasons). [/spoiler] So yea, I feel there is a sort of closure to this movie. Leave it as that, I say.

One last thing: [spoiler] but why is the rum gone? wink.gif [/spoiler]
Chiyo
I did enjoy number 3, more than number two but not nearly as much as number one. I'm glad they didn't go overboard with Keith Richards too, fun as it was to see him.

Oh and What exactly happened to Elizabeth? Last you see her she's on a beach...is it a country or a random desert island? Is she left there or what?
Popogeejo
Thread needs more Pirates!
Alchemical
QUOTE(Menelvir @ Jun 4 2007, 02:33 AM) [snapback]549668[/snapback]
No one's mentioned the soundtrack yet. Material from the first two movies are quite heavily recycled, but then again, that's the reason why themes exist: they're supposed to be recurring. There's new stuff too. [spoiler]I personally like the song that boy sings at the start: Hoist the Colours. I think that there's an eerie feel to it, quite unlike the usual pirate song (e.g. Yo ho, Yo ho, a Pirate's Life for Me), and yet there's a sense of camaraderie when the pirates sing it together, really quite appropriate for this movie.[/spoiler]

One last thing: [spoiler] but why is the rum gone? wink.gif [/spoiler]

I LOVE Hoist the Colors. I haven't gotten a chance to buy the soundtrack, but I do have that song downloaded onto my computer. I love listening to it.

... Why is it always gone? sad.gif

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Jun 4 2007, 05:46 AM) [snapback]549695[/snapback]
I did enjoy number 3, more than number two but not nearly as much as number one. I'm glad they didn't go overboard with Keith Richards too, fun as it was to see him.

Oh and [spoiler]What exactly happened to Elizabeth? Last you see her she's on a beach...is it a country or a random desert island? Is she left there or what?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]If you stayed after the credits, you see Elizabeth and her ten-yr-old (or nine) child. Not sure what it is, exactly, but it could have been a deserted island or someplace where she would be safe after what had happened.[/spoiler]

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Jun 4 2007, 05:51 AM) [snapback]549697[/snapback]

That wins an interwebz. laugh.gif
AnimeFantasy
I enjoyed Pirates a whole ton than the second one. And it was a lot funnier too. The first and last were the best. =D

They were so many deals going on though. Will, Elizabeth, and Jack were going back and forth. But Barbossa was the best in this one especially marrying Will and Elizabeth. Well at least Will didn't die "die", even though they would only see each other every ten years... but it is really sad that they can't truly be together. It makes want to cry...

I heard they WILL make a fourth one from sites I've been through and I thought they were totally done with the trilogy. I was disappointed in the end but I think if they made another one they kind of would ruin it?
But it is sad that Jack didn't get his Black Pearl in the end and that Barbossa stole it again. He left Jack and Gibbs out.

I don't know. But it said that Keira doesn't want to participate in the sequel and Johnny would do it as long as the script is still good. And the movie is said to be about Jack finding the treasure Fountain of Youth that was on the map or Feng's chart that he had cut out in the end. That part was funny.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
The third was just a bunch of CGI. They dragged it on and on. It was okay, but there were so many contradictions throughout all the movies. It is not very well written as a whole.
Chiyo
Cheers Alchemical, I have one of those perfectly legal copies of the film, so its got no credits to have explained that to me
Night Shadow Alchemist
it s was a great film and i really enjoyed it but i thought that the story telling was a bit lacking tbh
ScarMySoul
MY PEANUT!

That is all.

hahahaha I loved all three of them biggrin.gif
Menelvir
Okay, ScarMySoul! You take the peanut; the rum's MINE!!

Haha, I love Hoist the Colours too, Alchemical! It's a contrast to the rest of the sountrack because it's of a moodier tone, and it's got a very significant meaning to it... I love the drumbeats!

But my favourite track is still Up is Down. It's very bouncy and energetic! Although I pity that picolo player (the one that plays the main tune). His fingers must have hurt after that!
ScarMySoul
QUOTE(Menelvir @ Jun 16 2007, 11:45 PM) [snapback]553107[/snapback]

laugh.gif I love the lines:

"why is everything but the rum gone?"
"Aye, but the rum is gone too...."

Freya-chan
Loved it !!!! could have been a little better
Funeral services for norington and govener swan $30,000
remove davey jones curse $200,000
fell out f my seat when i thought will died $50
Payment for all the damaged ships $5,341,802

Davey Jones in the bucket Pricless
there are something money cant buy for everything else theres Pirates of the Caribbean

elizabeths a litle whore

Quote Menelivr
"Haha, I love Hoist the Colours too, Alchemical! It's a contrast to the rest of the sountrack because it's of a moodier tone, and it's got a very significant meaning to it... I love the drumbeats!

But my favourite track is still Up is Down. It's very bouncy and energetic! Although I pity that picolo player (the one that plays the main tune). His fingers must have hurt after that!"

I love up is down bought sound track day after !!! can never understand what the boy sings after "....and bound her in her bones"
Alchemical
QUOTE(Menelvir @ Jun 17 2007, 02:45 AM) [snapback]553107[/snapback]

Haha, I love Hoist the Colours too, Alchemical! It's a contrast to the rest of the sountrack because it's of a moodier tone, and it's got a very significant meaning to it... I love the drumbeats!

But my favourite track is still Up is Down. It's very bouncy and energetic! Although I pity that picolo player (the one that plays the main tune). His fingers must have hurt after that!

I love the drumbeats, too! And tones to that one are brilliant to me. Amazing song^^

Up is Down is my second favorite. I can't get enough of the energy in that one.

That's one reason I love the Pirate movies; they have great music! smile.gif

QUOTE(ScarMySoul @ Jun 16 2007, 11:24 PM) [snapback]553057[/snapback]
MY PEANUT!

That is all.

hahahaha I loved all three of them biggrin.gif

XD

Every time I eat a peanut or see one, I think of Jack. He was hilarious in all of them, especially the third!
~Kurenai~
..I shouldn't be here, I just can't help myself...I LOVE POTC!!
GREEDisGOOD
It was really pretty stupid. I mean, they seemed to have forgot WHY the first movie was so successful - It was a comedy. Not once in the first one did they ever ask you to take it seriously. But the second one, and even worse the third, suddenly looked like it wanted to make a serious movie...and failed miserably.

Not to mention that in the second movie, they basically just reused all the jokes from the first (like the rum joke), and in the third movie, while they were trying to be all serious, there weren't really any funny parts.

My suggestion, they should have kept the film in the comedy genre, and they should have made it about an hour shorter.
Kari_Neko
I love POTC ^^.The third one was more serious that's true but it was still pretty good in my opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.