Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Evolution Of Language And Other Wondrous Things
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Robo-Mechanic @ May 24 2007, 05:57 AM) [snapback]546696[/snapback]
Ok, first of all, You could've just said that you weren't accepting new members at the moment and second, "n00b" isnt a word.

Now, I dont want to get another warning for "spamming a thread" which you should've gotten also so I guess ill leave.

May I just point out n00b/noob is a word. It has a widely excepted meaning and is generally recognised over the inter webs.
You can't deny it's a word just because it's used to insult you.

You seem to have a hard time understanding the difference between you and me.

How you've never been demoted is beyond me...
Triple Soul
Darn, I missed the n00b charbroiling >:

I'd also like to add that noob [sic] has also now been used in the English release of Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. That proves it's a word. *shot*
«°~Envy™~°»
QUOTE(Triple Soul @ May 24 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]546990[/snapback]
I'd also like to add that noob [sic] has also now been used in the English release of Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. That proves it's a word. *shot*

no it just proves that poke`mon just wants to try and put themselves in with the net language since most of the fan base of anything anime are also love of computers and type like that

Popogeejo
QUOTE(«°~Envy™~°» @ May 27 2007, 01:11 AM) [snapback]547358[/snapback]
QUOTE(Triple Soul @ May 24 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]546990[/snapback]

no it just proves that poke`mon just wants to try and put themselves in with the net language since most of the fan base of anything anime are also love of computers and type like that

The doesn't mean it isn't a word though...
«°~Envy™~°»
so your saying if someone on a show says Cacklefack it must be a word
Carnal Malefactor
It can become one if it's used widely enough.
«°~Envy™~°»
sure lets go and make up new words just because we can't type out every word that is definition of a new person

that should help dumb the language down for people laugh.gif
Carnal Malefactor
You do realize that about a dozen words get added to the dictionary every year, right?
«°~Envy™~°»
witch only furthers my point, this world is getting dumber by the day
Popogeejo
Language is constantly evolving. The only people who complain about new words are idiots who want everything to stay as it is. For society to evolve so must the language, same goes for sciences and the arts.
«°~Envy™~°»
now if the language evolved with smarter words then that would be a jump in the right directions, not with shorter easier to say words XD
Fushi
And your reason for coming into this thread unprovoked and posting all this is...what exactly?

(btw, I suggest you learn how to use capitals and periods before you start saying things about language. You're showing promise by using commas, but otherwise I can't take you seriously here.)
Popogeejo
QUOTE(«°~Envy™~°» @ May 27 2007, 07:28 AM) [snapback]547458[/snapback]
now if the language evolved with smarter words then that would be a jump in the right directions, not with shorter easier to say words XD

WTF? Clearly you are an ill educated troll who assumes that the bigger the word the more intelligent it is. How do you even define a "smart" word? Why should a words length matter anyway? The word with the most definitions in the Dictionary, thus arguably the smartest/most complex, is "set."

Can a Mod cut this off and slap it in Debate district?
Triple Soul
...Sarcasm, dear sir/ma'am, sarcasm.

so your saying if someone on a show says Cacklefack it must be a word

Don't give me ideas.

And your reason for coming into this thread unprovoked and posting all this is...what exactly?
S'what I was wondering...

WTF? Clearly you are an ill educated troll who assumes that the bigger the word the more intelligent it is. How do you even define a "smart" word? Why should a words length matter anyway? The word with the most definitions in the Dictionary, thus arguably the smartest/most complex, is "set."

Can a Mod cut this off and slap it in Debate district?

Didn't ya hear? The bigger the word, the more intelligent it must be. Or so says today's society.

And after putting it in Debate District, can said Mod close it so no one can reply with half-witted remarks? It's like the whole chatspeak v. regular speak debate...if there ever was one.
Colette
I don't think we should update the dictionary for slang terms, really. <<' Or to make spelling words easier.
GothGirl
Is anyone here aware of the fact that 'd'oh' was added to the dictionary (thanks basically due to Homer Simpson). The length of words doesn't determine how 'smart' it is. For example, gadfly is a rather short word, and a great one at that, though I doubt many people know it's meaning. The variety of words that you use makes you intelligent, not how long they are (because I can think of a couple of three year olds who can say 'supercalifragul...'...whatever Mary Poppins says).
ἀρχή
In my humble opinion, languages tend to become more irregular and "simpler" over time.

Review the verb "to be" in any language and you'll see a word that has become so irregular over the years the language has been in existence. This becomes the case with many other words as well. Mostly commonly used words turn their irregular forms into regular forms creating the need to simply memorize them rather than figure them out from the word forms.

For "Simpler", I'm thinking about the transitions from:

singular
duo
plural
to
singular
plural

and similar alterations.

For those who are so chronologically arrogant to think that the english language should not pick up slang words, please pick up an ancient language some time and talk to nearly anyone who has studied language use over time.

Final words: Definitions are derived by usage not by dictionaries
TheRainbowConnection
QUOTE(«°~Envy™~°» @ May 26 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]547458[/snapback]

Do you think Spanish, Italian, or French are languages in the "wrong" direction? Because they're all pretty much just Latin that the local populations butchered and that eventually evolved into what we know of today. Simpler, too. (Trust me. I take Latin. We (modern people) have it easy.)

Just accept that languages trend toward ease of use over time. People are collectively lazy, and if there's an easier way of doing something, they'll figure out how.

Astria
QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Jun 3 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]549524[/snapback]
Just accept that languages trend toward ease of use over time. People are collectively lazy, and if there's an easier way of doing something, they'll figure out how.

As for language, so for....a whole lot of things. You make a very good point, here. The nature of a language is less of a strict system then some might believe.

@GothGirl - A wide vocabulary doesn't necessarily make you intelligent. It merely makes you seem that way. Many people use words simply because they think they sound good, in order to dress up their meaning with words longer then a few syllables. This tells us only that said people know how to use a dictionary, and is no indication of their actual 'intelligence'.

From one perspective, the use of language is all about playing a role, fitting the suitable words to any one situation. Look at what a good actor can do with language to make an audience believe what they're hearing. To an extent, the same applies in real life.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.