Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Do You Like The Most About Roy?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
Amethyst Sunset
Inspired by this thread, I've created one for Roy, who is apparently the second most popular character in FMA. He needs love too! happy.gif

As for me, I love his smirk (Yes, when I first saw him smile, I practically melted. Call me a rabid fangirl, if you must. XD), and his alchemy - they were the two things that first made me start fangirling the Colonel. Then as the series progressed, both anime- and manga-wise, I fangirled him even more as his personality unfolded, like how he's much more than just a ladies' man with a penchant for sarcasm, huge ambitions, and strange fetishes. XD Especially how he does have good intentions behind that thirst for power...
Zachelle
Told ya I'd follow biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'd go for Roy's personality. I like that bit of obnoxious personality of his, and at first, he seems like an overly obnoxious sarcastic jerk and total womanizer but as the story progresses, you'll see he's more than that. (eh? I sound like I like the character development rather than Roy's personality XDD) And regarding his face, he has the common pretty boy face if you ask me tongue.gif
Fushi
Pretty much everything. Every single one of his traits makes him my favorite character. Although I have to admit, what really stands out is his conscience - esp. in the anime. How he feels about taking so many lives...yeah sure, it also makes him a little emo (rolleyes.gif) but it also makes him seem rather human. Oh so the .... pretty boy has a conscience after all? Interesting~ =3
Popogeejo
and strange fetishes.

What strange fetisheseses?
Tombow
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ May 21 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]545664[/snapback]
and strange fetishes.
What strange fetisheseses?

Ummm.. Mini-skirt?? unsure.gif
Not that it's strange, but.. well yeah, maybe it's strange if he wanted to wear it. laugh.gif
(Oh, wait, some guys wear skirty thingy up there across the big pond... so, yeah, maybe that's not strange at all.. XDD)

Ok, but on topic, I like Roy's Flame Alchemy, I think that's so cool, and his personality... like, how he cares about his subordinates, and stuff like that. biggrin.gif
Fushi
QUOTE(Tombow)
Not that it's strange, but.. well yeah, maybe it's strange if he wanted to wear it laugh.gif

That wouldn't be strange. That'd be dead hawt. tongue.gif
Alchemical
I like his personality, his looks, and his alchemy skills. Also, I adore his determination to protect his friends and country.
Amalthea
His flame alchemy and his strong convictions. He may be a merciless bastard in battle (even that fight with Lust in the manga made me surprised), but he knows that even if he loses close friends and pawns, he has to keep moving forward since it's his life and his goals need to be accomplished.

He's hot, too.
Menelvir
I agree with Zachelle. His looks are just about average. I like his suave smile. It's not sweet or cute, and it definitely doesn't make my heart melt. But there's a cunning edge to it that excites me.

I like his personality too. He wears a mask of disdain to hide his concern for the people that really matter. And once you really get to know Roy, you find that the guy that's been pissing you off was actually trying to protect you all this time. (That's directed at Ed. laugh.gif)
SharpShooterHawkeye
hm... what's not to love? But I really think his smirk is the best. His alchemy is totally worthless in the rain as pointed out by Hawkeye ha ha ha
~Kurenai~
ah ..roy...i love everything about him..and his little smirk, it's so cute!

QUOTE(Amalthea @ Jun 16 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]552963[/snapback]
His flame alchemy and his strong convictions. He may be a merciless bastard in battle (even that fight with Lust in the manga made me surprised), but he knows that even if he loses close friends and pawns, he has to keep moving forward since it's his life and his goals need to be accomplished.

He's hot, too.

took the words right from my mouth...

QUOTE(Menelvir @ Jun 17 2007, 06:30 AM) [snapback]553185[/snapback]
I agree with Zachelle. His looks are just about average. I like his suave smile. It's not sweet or cute, and it definitely doesn't make my heart melt. But there's a cunning edge to it that excites me.

I like his personality too. He wears a mask of disdain to hide his concern for the people that really matter. And once you really get to know Roy, you find that the guy that's been pissing you off was actually trying to protect you all this time. (That's directed at Ed. laugh.gif)

exactly.
Winter Phantom
The smile,the sarcastic jokes,his declaration,[spoiler]He actually thinked Riza liked him at the chibi party...poor Roy[/spoiler] and his famous miniskirt dream.Missing anything?
gunslinger alchemist
I don't see why height should have any thing to do with it. it's just more facts like hair color or eye color. It's just the luck of the draw in the gene pool....
Amethyst Sunset
QUOTE(gunslinger alchemist @ Jun 26 2007, 05:19 PM) [snapback]555826[/snapback]
I don't see why height should have any thing to do with it. it's just more facts like hair color or eye color. It's just the luck of the draw in the gene pool....

Nah, I was just feeling silly and added "height" to the choices. XDDDDD But who knows? Maybe there's someone out there who thinks Roy's height is nice. XD

And who knows, perhaps the gene pool was especially nice to him. wink.gif
Chibi_Girl29
Cool !we can vote for more then 1 thing !
Evileo
Dark eyes and hair... It's my ideal of man! *dreams*
But I don't like his other traits that much... *sighs*
If I did he'd probably be my favorite character in FMA. Sorry, Roy. *another sigh*
Triss Hawkeye
I love his hair. I have a friend who has hair just like him, so I freak him out daily by stroking it. xD

Uh yeah...n a slightly more serious note, his complex personality is certainly a great asset. And yes, I voted for the fact that guys in uniforms are sexy. Because they totally are. laugh.gif
Anyarel
I love his personnality, his smile and his eyes.
I voted for his alchemy skills too because I like his flame alchemy. ^^
natsu-hime
smile and personality biggrin.gif

i wonder if he's a six pack guy like ed...but since he never show 'em, i'm guessin' that he's having some flabs because his face is round and chubby biggrin.gif
sanjica
Guys in uniforms are sexy.

Hell, yeah.
winrys#1fan
I like the fact that he's just uber-awesome cool.gif
Crystal Hughes
I voted other. Here's why. I like NOTHING, NOTHING about mustang!!!
He killed Winry's parents! And I will never forgive him!
Fushi
^even though he feels horrible about it, nearly killed himself over it, it wasn't his fault in the first place (he was ordered to) and he is working hard to change the system because of it?

Wow. How narrow-minded.
Crystal Hughes
I'm not narrow minded. It's a matter of oppion. dry.gif
Just because he was ordered to do that, doesn't mean he
had to do it. Ed's been order to do stuff and he still didn't do
it.
Fushi
You don't seem to know much about real life militaries. If you don't follow orders, you're discharged or just plain shot. That's a FACT of military life.

Mustang was young and in a tough situation. War is a traumatic time, especially for a young person. It doesn't make what he did right, but you shouldn't hate him for something that was really beyond his control. It's not like he enjoyed what he did, like other characters like Kimbley did. You can't compare him to Ed either. Ed's a character who never wnated to be in the military in the first place, and he only joined out of nessecity. It's easy for him to disobey orders, but not for someone who joined in hopes of making a difference and defending his country.

Hate Grand for the whole thing, that guy was a heartless d***. :/
Crystal Hughes
First, I know plenty about real military life. dry.gif Second, it's a
show, not real life. Third, as Hughes puts it, if he didn't want
to kill people, he should have got a desk job.
Little Washu
QUOTE(Crystal Hughes @ Mar 6 2008, 03:42 PM) *
Third, as Hughes puts it, if he didn't want

Well then, the show would have a very boring plot then, now wouldn't it? And, having a desk job might have just left him at a low rank. If memory serves, he got promoted or something because of the war.

Also, say he did disobey orders and got fired. Now, wouldn't that just might make it difficult, almost impossible, to become Fuher, wouldn't it? And, Roy regretted the whole scenario, as explained in the later episodes, such as 'The Stray Dog'.

Anyway, I like his character. Not as deep as the manga version, but in general.
Crystal Hughes
And if my memory serve, Hughes got promoted to a higher rank
then mustang, and like I said he had a desk job. By the way, I've
seen the whole series more then three times.

And the plot isn't the point.
Little Washu
QUOTE(Crystal Hughes @ Mar 6 2008, 03:57 PM) *
then mustang, and like I said he had a desk job.

Hughes got promoted because he was killed in the line of duty.
By the way, theplot isn't the point. dry.gif

But the plot sure is important.
Crystal Hughes
That's not what I meant. What I meant was that the point
is that mustang could have refuse his order to kill Winry's
parents.
Little Washu
^You should put that in spoiler tags.

And had he refused that, he would have gotten fired. Leading right back to my point, that if he were fired he would not be able to become Fuher. And I believe it was because of that very event that made him decide to become Fuher, so no one would have to follow orders like that again.

Now, let's say he refused and the order was given to Kimbley. Had Kimbley done it, their death would be in vain. As long as it was Roy who killed Winry's parents , their death had a significant meaning, in a sense. And, remember, both Winry and Pinako forgave him.
Crystal Hughes
Let's go with what you said, if Kimblee (and why Kimblee)
had got the orders, mustang could have protected them.
I mean, he is the flame alchemist. dry.gif
Little Washu
And if he didn't know? And once AGAIN, protecting them would get him fired.

I chose Kimbley because he seemed to be someone they'd choose if Roy refused. Think about it, Kimbley wouldn't refuse or argue about it. That's how Kimbley's character is. I'm not very versed in military ways, but I do know that listening to orders is a definite requirement. Just like in school, or any other job.
Crystal Hughes
Will you stop with "he'd get fired"! Say, just say he did get fired,
he'd still be the flame alchemist, just like ed will always be the
FullMetal Alchemist. Then he could start his on army and be the
Fuher.

And Grand (the Iron Blood Alchemist) could have been the one
to do mustang's job. By the way, I do hate Grand. dry.gif
Little Washu
QUOTE(Crystal Hughes @ Mar 6 2008, 04:42 PM) *
Say, just say he did get fired,
Fuher.

I'm pretty sure that to be the Fuher, you have to be in the military. Being an alchemist has nothing to do with it.

to do mustang's job.

That still would have no real meaning in the story.
Will you stop with "he'd get fired"!

Only when you get it through your thick head.

Just keep complaining and arguing, it racks up my post count.
Crystal Hughes
I never said that been an alchemist had anything to do with
being Fuher, look at Bradley, all I mean was that he would
always be known as the flame alchemist. And with the title
he would have a following.

If nothing a following of women.
And I'm not arguing, I'm stating my oppion, like I told
Fushigi Rockna. dry.gif
Little Washu
If he were fired or something, the military could easily create a lie, stating that he's a traitor. And even if he had a following, that still wouldn't make him Fuher. It would make him a man with followers.

Opinion eh? Call it what you will, to each his own.
Crystal Hughes
You're not grasping my point. With a big enough following he could START his own army. And if the military started a rumor that he was a traitor [ SPOILER ] (which they did in the anime) he would still have followers that would follow he to death.

And why are you defending he so?
Little Washu
Ooh, what's he got? Like 10 people? That's not even enough to take out Connecticut.

Because you keep pressing the issue.
Fushi
QUOTE(Crystal Hughes @ Mar 6 2008, 03:42 PM) *
Second, it's a
show, not real life. Third, as Hughes puts it, if he didn't want

Just because it's a show doesn't mean reality can't apply to it. Most of the cast are very human and true to life with their emotions. The Amestrian military is also based off many real life militaries, specifically the German military during the Nazi regime.

And what? Youth aren't allowed to be naive? Because that's exactly what he was. And he got one huge as hell reality check.

then mustang, and like I said he had a desk job. By the way, I've
seen the whole series more then three times.

Actually, Hughes always stayed one rank below Roy. He intentionally did so so he could help push Roy to the top. He only got promoted later for dying in the line of duty, not for anything he did while alive. So this point is null and void. :/

And you're bringing up how many times you've seen the series because...?

Will you stop with "he'd get fired"! Say, just say he did get fired,
Fuher.

This is a joke right? Right, because starting your own army is sooooooooo easy.

And you really missed something here with the story of FMA. :/ You only have those titles because you're a alchemist of the state. If Roy got discharged he would still use Flame Alchemy but he would not be the "Flame Alchemist" for that is a title granted to him by the Fuhrer. The same goes for Ed.

to do mustang's job. By the way, I do hate Grand. dry.gif

Bigwigs never do their own dirty work. Ever. :/

And can we stoped with the "getting fired"? For starters the correct term is discharged and second of all THIS IS GRAND GIVING THE ORDERS HERE. He wouldn't have sent him home he would've KILLED HIM.

Crystal Hughes you couldn't have honestly expected to come in here and say you don't like Mustang without Mustang fans arguing with you. This is a thread of people who LIKE Mustang. Coming in here and continuing this is just asking for trouble. It's best you just leave this thread and stop this.

Btw for the record, in the manga Roy isn't the one who killed Winry's parents. In the manga it's Scar. So what's your excuse there?
Crystal Hughes
Fine. I'll leave. I'll go to Which good guy/ girl character do you hate the most.
It's been fun.
Little Washu
QUOTE(Crystal Hughes @ Mar 6 2008, 05:43 PM) *
And if you're wondering, I have not changed my mind about him. sleep.gif

No one cares.

If you hate him so much make a "What do you hate about Roy?" thread. Hell, I'll even make it for you if I have to.
Fushi
QUOTE(Crystal Hughes @ Mar 6 2008, 05:43 PM) *
First, he's supose to be the "flame alchemist". Second, you didn't answer my question.
Does this mean you're against him?

And if you're wondering, I have not changed my mind about him. sleep.gif

edit: nvm what i said here it wasn't addressed to me.

I don't care if you don't change your mind but use some common sense please and not mouth off around Mustang fans about Mustang. That's just asking for .... to start.
Crystal Hughes
Fine. I sorry.
Popogeejo
I realise I'm late and most of the points have be covered but;
QUOTE(Little Washu @ Mar 6 2008, 11:50 PM) *
Will you stop with "he'd get fired"!

Only when you get it through your thick head.

Crystal is right, he wouldn't get fired. He'd be shot most likely or imprisoned for a long time. Disobeying orders is crime.
Even if he wasn't arrested for that and he protected Win's parents that would be aiding the enemy which is normally a Capitol crime (from what little military law I can remember).

Then he could start his on army and be the Fuher.

First, you don't have to hit return when you hit the edge of the text field, the board wraps your text for you.
Now to the quote; Ahahahahahahahahahahaha, ha ha.
Assuming people followed him the State would crush him pretty fast. Enacting a Military Coup isn't going to sit well and, seeing it's treason, Ol' Flamey would certainly be killed. Even if he didn't get crushed I doubt the citizens are going to be to happy about some upstart starting a civil war so he's unlikely to last long unless he goes brutal dictator on them for a good few generations.

First, I know plenty about real military life.
Second, it's a show, not real life.
Third, as Hughes puts it, if he didn't want to kill people, he should have got a desk job

1) You evidently don't.
2) Get out! Really? Then why do you claim to hate Roy and be unable to forgive him?
3) There's a difference (slight thought it may be) between killing enemy fighters and civilian doctors.

Also, I like his eyes. I could get lost in them forever. <3

I'll go to Which good guy/ girl character do you hate the most.

I'm going to google and search "titmouse" and see if any boobies come up on image search.
blossomalchemist
I like everything about Roy!!!!
Rino-chan
Other than the fact that he's extremely good-looking when he smirks, I love his sarcastic nature and personality. I love his character overall, and that he does things to show that he cares even though he'd never admit it out loud in words, but the thing I love most about him is his sharp mouth. xD Constantly teasing Edward and also making remarks that makes you headdesk. It's brilliant. <3
edo little kid
I like his Smile wub.gif

make me a Crazy girl!! girl_smile.gif

hehehehe

really Roy is a lovely man

(((Ed Too)) wub.gif
Taralen
I pretty much just love EVERYTHING about Roy. He is an awesome character and personally I think he needs more love from Fans.
The one thing that strikes me though is that he's an Asian looking character with a non-Asian name! XD
vidramidra
What I really like about him, is that he's much more than meets the eye.

Funny, it reminds me of myself, like lots of people think they know me, because I'm very open in some point. But I've got much more inside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.