Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Impeach Bush?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
FullmetalOtaku
In case anyone is wondering, impeachment is when an official is kicked out because they made numerous mistakes.

I think Bush is not doing his job, and should be impeached.
Popogeejo
If you impeach Bush won't Cheney get into the Oval office? If so do you think he'll be any better?
Colette
Do you even know what impeachment is? o_o It's not removing a president from office, you know. It's charging the president of a crime. Sure, he's done stupid things, but there's no evidence he committed a crime.

And Popo has a point. If you hate Bush's way, Cheney won't be any better.

Seriously, just bite the bullet and wait a year. There's no use whining when the next election isn't far off.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ May 8 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]540447[/snapback]
Do you even know what impeachment is? o_o It's not removing a president from office, you know. It's charging the president of a crime. Sure, he's done stupid things, but there's no evidence he committed a crime.
There's plenty of evidence that he lied and manipulated intelligence to send the country to war in Iraq. Certainly an impeachable offense.

And FYI, it's entirely within the bounds of the Constitution to impeach the President and Vice-President simultaneously.
Popogeejo
There's plenty of evidence that he lied and manipulated intelligence to send the country to war in Iraq.
I thought there were only suspicions that it was his underlings that did this. So far he could claim total ignorance and be believed (this was not meant to be a joke about his intelligence, honest).
Right now I don't think anyone has any substantial evidence to link to him to any wrong doings.

And FYI, it's entirely within the bounds of the Constitution to impeach the President and Vice-President simultaneously.

That would put the Democrats in power right? I'm not to familiar with the line of succession but I'm sure the Speaker of the House is after the VP.
Nervecell
Well, where we live right now I think almost everyone dones't like bush, but places like the south they love him so its really regional and since he won by a landslide in the last election i think he still has alot of supporters
Carnal Malefactor
Remember the so-called 'Downing Street Memo' that implicated collusion between the American and British governments to fix the intelligence on Iraqi WMDs around the policy to go to war, rather than the other way around? That was just the tip of the iceberg. There is info coming out seemingly every day about a concerted effort by the Administration from the top-down to mislead Congress and the American public about the threat supposedly posed by Saddam Hussein and his role in aiding and abetting al-Qaeda [which, of course, was nonexistent]. If the President or Vice-President made any statements under oath that reiterated any of these claims, they are effectively guilty of perjury.

QUOTE(Nervecell @ May 8 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]540458[/snapback]
Well, where we live right now I think almost everyone dones't like bush, but places like the south they love him so its really regional and since he won by a landslide in the last election i think he still has alot of supporters

And that has... what to do with impeachment?
Little Washu
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ May 8 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]540441[/snapback]
If you impeach Bush won't Cheney get into the Oval office? If so do you think he'll be any better?

True, either way we get the bad end. WE can either:
1.) Keep Bush and wait till he leaves or gets assassinated.
or
2.) Impeach Bush and get Cheney, who'll kill off the entire congress claiming he thought they were wild geese.

Decisions, decisions.
Slashrose1010
What's the point? The impeachment process isn't speedy, like every other process... due to bureaucracy. So really, it wouldn't even make much of a difference. He's accomplished what he has set to do, so kicking him out a week before his term is over isn't going to do much.
Little Washu
Slashrose1010- True. By the time he's impeached, we'll already have the new president in office (I don't mean that literally).
Carnal Malefactor
I really wish little kids would stop trying to talk about politics...
FullmetalOtaku
QUOTE(Abstruse Eulogy @ May 8 2007, 11:46 PM) [snapback]540666[/snapback]
I really wish little kids would stop trying to talk about politics...

Exuse me, but age has nothing to do with how much you know about politics.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(FullmetalOtaku @ May 10 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]541222[/snapback]
Exuse me, but age has nothing to do with how much you know about politics.

Younger people are less likely to read newspapers, watch actual news or check other media sources.
GothGirl
Well, most likely if Bush were to be impeached, then Cheney would most likely resign.
Younger people are less likely to read newspapers, watch actual news or check other media sources.

That really depends on the person. I mean, I listen to the BBC daily, listen to Democracy Now, and read my local newspaper. On top of this, I read National Geographic (for a better idea of world politics), Rolling Stone's political articles (don't laugh, they actually have halfway decent articles), and the Wall Street Journal so I can better understand the economy. If anything, I think younger people have a better grasp of politics because they are more open minded and not as set in their beliefs (in that they can actually admit they were wrong).
FullmetalOtaku
QUOTE(GothGirl @ May 10 2007, 04:50 PM) [snapback]541265[/snapback]
Well, most likely if Bush were to be impeached, then Cheney would most likely resign.
That really depends on the person. I mean, I listen to the BBC daily, listen to Democracy Now, and read my local newspaper. On top of this, I read National Geographic (for a better idea of world politics), Rolling Stone's political articles (don't laugh, they actually have halfway decent articles), and the Wall Street Journal so I can better understand the economy. If anything, I think younger people have a better grasp of politics because they are more open minded and not as set in their beliefs (in that they can actually admit they were wrong).

Yeah!! Thanks for sticking up for us kids! But anyway, I know a lot about politics because my family is well informed.
Kenji
QUOTE(FullmetalOtaku @ May 13 2007, 03:41 AM) [snapback]542036[/snapback]
I know a lot about politics because my family is well informed.

Why is Bush in the Oval Office instead of your father then? huh.gif
GothGirl
Why is Bush in the Oval Office instead of your father then?

I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but FullmetalOtaku's father probably isn't in the Oval Office because he wasn't born into a multi-million dollar family where his father was president first and he was groomed all his life for politics...but like I said, I'm just guessing here happy.gif
Fushi
Well, when the democrats won the midterms, me and my pa were betting that they were going to try and get him impeached. Although if the process is really that long, I'm doubting it now. It's better to just wait for the next election now.

Something tells me the oval office is gonna be rather blue this time around tho....

(True fact: more Canadians pay attention to American politics than their own. For real. mellow.gif Although, we tend to watch it like some kind of spectator sport. XDDD)
phoenix dying
Too little, too late now. Really what would be the point now. We've gone too far!
Kenji
QUOTE(GothGirl @ May 13 2007, 05:40 AM) [snapback]542091[/snapback]

I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but FullmetalOtaku's father probably isn't in the Oval Office because he wasn't born into a multi-million dollar family where his father was president first and he was groomed all his life for politics...but like I said, I'm just guessing here happy.gif

Apparently you all have forgotten Abraham Lincoln.. happy.gif

^ phoenix is right. Why not just be patient for another year... Afterall, nothing really bad been happening in the US, except for the wrath of mother nature at Kansas and California and oil prices that sometimes drives the whole world crazy... >.<
Tombow
@Kenji - Umm.. my guess is that if the "honest" Abe were alive today, he would probably have no chance of making though the Primary, let alone being elected. tongue.gif

As for the Impeachment, I agree with others. It's late to have the Impeachment.
The next election is coming up soon enough, IMO.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(GothGirl @ May 10 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]541265[/snapback]
That really depends on the person. I mean, I listen to the BBC daily, listen to Democracy Now, and read my local newspaper. On top of this, I read National Geographic (for a better idea of world politics), Rolling Stone's political articles (don't laugh, they actually have halfway decent articles), and the Wall Street Journal so I can better understand the economy.

That may be but do you honestly think others kids your age do this as well? Hell, do you think most under 18's pay that much attention?

QUOTE(GothGirl @ May 12 2007, 10:40 PM) [snapback]542091[/snapback]

Because "Dubya" has plainly been groomed for politics... rolleyes.gif
Kenji
How Lincoln perform in the office was not my point...
My point was how he gets into the office. He's from a poor background...
Money is never been a factor in politics... it's the brain.

When Bush is contesting against Al Gore, I lays my support for Bush because he definitely has more brains than Al Gore. A few years back, in his 2nd contesting against Kerry, I supports Kerry instead because again, he definitely has more brains than Bush... but apparently southern USA wants more war...
Tombow
QUOTE(Kenji @ May 12 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]542239[/snapback]

Neither am I talking about his office record. laugh.gif
In today's U.S. Presidential election, it would cost hundreds of millions, or probably billions, of dollars to run the campaign to get elected as the President. Part of that funds are coming from the Government Fund, but mostly from his/her Political party, and own fundraising. Meaning, I'm guessing, he/she probably has to smile, lie, cheat, and do just about anything short of promising something illegal (or maybe walking the thin line) to all those money sources to get the backing needed to get elected. Let alone balancing/adopting/fudging his/her own political standings/opinions on several key issues while trying to get the most votes out of the varying constituencies, plus, creating and controlling his/her public images while in the campaign, and so on, and on...
Hense, "honest" Abe would probably have no chance of getting through our current Presidential Primary election system, IMO. tongue.gif

Speaking of money, does anyone have some idea what kind of cost the Impeachment (if there were any) would cost to the U.S. economy?? Just curious. biggrin.gif
Fushi
QUOTE(Kenji)
Money is never been a factor in politics... it's the brain.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm sorry, Kenj, really I am but-AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA-*SHOOTS SELF*

You forget how long ago Lincoln was president. Things have changed. Lots. Back then, you could run an election on hardly anything. Nowadays, as Tombow said, it costs alot to run an election campaign. But that's not all. For several generations all the presidents have come from wealthy family backgrounds. They all go to super expensive, prestige universities and colleges, because their families make contributions to the establishments, getting them a ticket in. Their families have the connections that get them into politics. It's just the way things are. You name the last president that came from a poor background. Or heck even a middle class background. I'm curious.

It's sad how much I'll pay attention to or discuss current American politics....It's only because our Prime Minister acts like a flippin' robot, he doesn't do anything wrong, or right.....heck he doesn't do anything WTF HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO BE AMUSED.

<Edited the length of consecutive HAHAHAHA... to stop stretching of the forum page. ^^ 05/13/07 Tombow>
Tombow
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ May 13 2007, 06:12 AM) [snapback]542437[/snapback]
For several generations all the presidents have come from wealthy family backgrounds. ...Their families have the connections that get them into politics. It's just the way things are. You name the last president that came from a poor background. Or heck even a middle class background. I'm curious.

@Fushigi - Pssst, Bill Clinton, to name one. ^^ He was a son of a single mother (I read that his dad died by car accident before he was born... I think at some point his family was receiving Food Stamps, a U.S. Government assistance program for the poor,) then his mom got remarried to an abusive alcoholic man. Unlike George Bush who got into a Yale college because of the connection (my guess, because at the time George Bush got into Yale his dad was a U.S. Senator, I think, and also George Bush's dad was also a Yale graduate, and both are Skull & Bones') I think Clinton got into Yale Law school on his own merits, ambitions, and determinations. smile.gif
Fushi
^ O rly? My social studies teacher told me that he and Bush both went to Yale but I didn't know how Clinton got in and his background. Thanks for enlightening me! And I take back my insane, Rena-like laughter. ;3

I was still too young to be interested in politics back when he was in office. Kinda wish I had been older, heard good things about his presidency.
Tombow
^^ Yeah, and to bring this back on topic... yet, he (Clinton) was the one who got the whole Impeachment tingy forever added on to his Presidency record... kind of ironic. ^^
GothGirl
Presidential candidates spent $880 million during the 2004 election. That's about $3 for every man, woman and child in the United States.
My Source
...I figured I'd go ahead and google the actual cost of presidential campaigns in the 2004 election, since it kept coming up.
That may be but do you honestly think others kids your age do this as well? Hell, do you think most under 18's pay that much attention?

Well, most don't (though I know quite a few who do), but adults don't pay that much attention either. (Again, I'm talking about the general population here, like you were)...Adults, when it comes to politics usually just choose one political party and just vote for those candidates, without bothering to look beyond what party they belong to. Also, those who do actually look at the candidate's positions generally just care about who's promising tax cuts to them, disregarding everything else. The truth is, age really doesn't determine how much a person pays attention to politics (well, I mean, once they're old enough to understand it...obviously I'm not saying that third graders pay as much attention to things as adults do).
Because "Dubya" has plainly been groomed for politics...

Well, he has. I'm not saying they did a good job of grooming him for it (far from it), but he has definitely been groomed.
Nepharski
Whether Bush is susceptible to impeachment by this point is moot to me, as I think such an action would be purely political. He's only got a year left, and judging by how long it takes to consider, sort out, decide, and take action on matters of this nature, it wouldn't accomplish anything except giving his personal enemies the satisfaction that they kicked him out on his face, assuming he didn't simply resign to counter that sort of thing. The "Damage" would already be done to the country; so congratulations that you can feel better about yourself cause your brought your arch-nemesis down, so now let's talk about you fixing everything. Yes, you.

I always hear people listing off reasons why Bush should be impeached, and these reasons haven't changed much (if at all) since before 2004: Haliburton, conspiracy, no WMDs, lies, revenge, and so forth. I'm not saying anything for or against these reasons, except why have we decided to wait three years, then, if we knew this back then? If I had such evidence, I'd present it as soon as possible, before they caused more destruction.

So just let the guy finish, let the professionals survey the results, and let's look forward to having new candidates from both sides to choose from. Oh yeah, and before I forget, this time let's wait for them to do something, before we hate them. Alright? Alright.

EDIT: lots of people worried about Cheney in this thread. And worrying needlessly, I might add. He's said himself he has no presidential ambitions, and will not run in 2008 for president (vice presidents are usually a natural choice for their respective parties. Usually). And even if he does have secret plans of some sort, an impeachment would most likely target him as well, and simultaneously, so really there is little to no threat of him taking over in Bush's wake.
FullmetalOtaku
QUOTE(GothGirl @ May 12 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]542091[/snapback]

GAWD!!! Thank you again!!! Besides, just because I said that my family is well informed doesn't mean that we're rich! dry.gif In fact, my family is mostly poor!! And, regretfully, a lot of people my age are more into celebrities than who's going to lead our country, and I'm sorry for that.
joanne45
Bush is no Lincoln or Kennedy.....he did EVERYTHING too much (security, gas prices, and worse)....I'd say he's goin' down.
GothGirl
Bush is no Lincoln or Kennedy.....he did EVERYTHING too much (security, gas prices, and worse)....I'd say he's goin' down.

By goin' down do you mean impeached? Because just because he seriously f*cked everything up doesn't mean that he will in fact be impeached.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.