Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmutation Circles On FMA, All Related Information Goes Here, (except Tattoo Discussions)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2
Rin Daemoko
I adore the beautiful art of the transmutation circles. I'm sure I could tweak them to accomplish other magickal endeavours (yes, I am an occultist). Does anyone know if there is an online source which has catalogued each of the transmutation circles? From the ones show during the opening credits, to the ones that other alchemists have drawn.

ETA 05/03/07 by Tombow:
This thread is for all the information on Transmutation Circles in FMA Anime.

Except.. for "getting FMA tattoo" discussions, please post that on I'm getting FMA tattoo thread.

And, if you created/drew your own Transmutation circle, please post that on
Alchemy Circles, create/draw your own thread in Fanworks forum. Thank you!! smile.gif
hagane_no_tokage
i've actually been looking for the same thing msyelf... T_T can't find a site that has them!!! i wanna do sme body art, but i can't find any good reference pics.... mad.gif
Hex-Sama
At fullmetalalchemist.info there are quite a few trasmutation circles. Just click on the link below to get to it.

http://www.fullmetalalchemist.info/alchemy.html

I had troubles finding pics of the trasmutation circles too, so I went the Misc part of this site and basically went to every site listed. laugh.gif
Guest_Omega
www.fullmetalalchemist.info
go to the alchemy section...
Rena, Full Bronze Alchemist
I was just wondering how to draw one.Does anyone know how?

ANYWAY!! Ed's Serpent cross is cool

<Merged double posts. 05/03/07 ~Tombow>
Tashi
um... i may be going out on a limb here, but what about with a pencil, i suppose a pen might do, but im a pencil person myself

QUOTE(hitokiri @ Dec 8 2004, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE(Riza Babe @ Dec 8 2004, 08:31 PM)
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ Nov 9 2004, 06:23 PM)
wasnt there another person who did the tattoo in this forum?

I say go for it.

Well yeah that guy who err did something nasty to his arm and you don't wanna know ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

damnit why'd you bring it up then?! now i want to know, and get pics if possible. w

yes, you have sparked my curriosity aswell

<Merged double postings. 05/03/07 ~Tombow>
DarkWater Alchemist
Now here's the trick to draw perfect circles. Take a piece of chalk, attach it to a rope, hold the end of the rope to the ground and pull the rope tight, then draw a circle. It's just like a pair of compasses, only bigger (is 'pair of compasses right, that's what the dictionary sais. You now what I mean, a mathematical instrument to draw circles? :unshure:

DWin character: Hey, I didn't do years of research about transmutation circles for nothing !
PK Rockin'
Yeah, it's an elipsis. And your point...?
Le Monkey
QUOTE(DarkWater Alchemist @ Dec 8 2004, 03:56 PM)
Now here's the trick to draw perfect circles. Take a piece of chalk, attach it to a rope, hold the end of the rope to the ground and pull the rope tight, then draw a circle. It's just like a pair of compasses, only bigger (is 'pair of compasses right, that's what the dictionary sais. You now what I mean, a mathematical instrument to draw circles? :unshure:

DWin character: Hey, I didn't do years of research about transmutation circles for nothing !

exactly right way to go about it

P.S. it is a compass for drawing circles!!

Trust me on that one!
OsirianAlchemy
Hope this helps

IPB Image
Kamuro
What about all the other stuff in the transmutation circle?
Le Monkey
thanks, there are all great and the discriptions are good as well
Nemu
I don't know about a site, but I used an alchemy website to create my own circles, combining certain elements. I can basically understand the ones used in FMA now, too, except that big human transmutation one... Too many elements involved. XD;

Anyway... I made some myself. If you want the site, you can ask me, but I doubt you'd be able to use it for anything you want to do.
al_the_armor_alchemist
How do you draw those symbols? What do the symbols mean,and if two of the symbols are paired together and if you pair one of the symbols with another one does the one symbol take on a different meaning?
hagane_no_tokage
heh, i personally like using a plate to draw a circle. biggrin.gif as for the symbols inside, if you go to http://www.fullmetalalchemist.info/alchemy.html you can see some of the arrays and what they are for. i don't know what each specific little symbol might mean, i haven't been able to find anything that nitpicky with info yet, so... yah. but there is a nice selection of circles at that address.
Hex-Sama
@Nemu: Please tell me the link biggrin.gif . I would like to create my own circles too! smile.gif Thank you very much.
hagane_no_tokage
oooh i would love to know the URL for that site! i can make unique circles for my OC for my fic! biggrin.gif please share!!!
Nemu
http://www.levity.com/alchemy/scheele_.html

You'll have to know some latin, there's research involved in this shit. I tend to research things that I am interested in, instead of doing my homework.

So, anyway, I have seen several of these symbols in FMA stuff.

Scheele lived in the 18th century which is closest to the time that Hohenheim/Paracelsus the alchemist appeared, so it was quite logical that I went to these first.

Turned out I had guessed right. XD

Anyway, for the latin, if you want it translated, you can google for latin-english dictionaries.
Also, it's handy to know some chemistry. XD But it's very basic. You get the idea. I just like to rant.
Nemu
Aussies are cool. And so are Japanese cause they speak Japanese and draw pretty and make cool games and developed cool martial arts, and and and... okay. So XD

Here's some transmutation circles that I made. I made some drawings and someone got bored and made them really accurate, in photoshop or something. XD

http://picserver.mirror.twistspace.com/img...103298068//y959

http://picserver.mirror.twistspace.com/img...103298068//y959

http://picserver.mirror.twistspace.com/img...103298069//y959

The first circle is one that I made to transmute... mostly metal and rock. It belongs to Kaizoku no Renkinjutsushi (the Pirate Alchemist), Des's State Alchemist form.

The second is Hyoushou no Renkinjutsushi (the Ice Crystal Alchemist), my OC, to transmute ice from the water particles in the air.

The third is mine, it transmutes water from air. If you noticed, I turned the triangles around from Hyoushou no's - the upside down triangle is for water, while the normal one with the stripe through the top, is the one for air (and, in Hyoushou no's case, temperature too).

The fun thing is, a normal pyramid triangle is the one for fire. Look closely to find all these things for fire and air in Roy Mustang's. XD He has a little lizard that stands for major amplification, too. <3

PS. Holy hell, there's a symbol for "urina" and I am guessing that's "urine". XD I wonder why you would wanna transmute urine... Of course you can use it to concoct stuff, but still. I wouldn't wanna put it in a circle.
Lust
You guys are really mean...

I believe there was another topic asking for transmutation circles, and I saved the image for it. So i'll attach it.

EDIT: I guess i'll have to upload.

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/up.../Untitled-3.jpg
[img=http://img61.exs.cx/img61/3217/transmutationcircle6tm.th.gif]
Heres the picture.
Full Metalloid Alchemist
I noticed the difference in some Alchemy/Transmutation Circles and I was wondering what the differences mean? Do different circles do different things?
Phoenix_alchemist
WARNING: SPOILERS FOR STUFF THAT HAPPENS LATE IN THE SERIES! ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Some circles have specific uses, such as transmuting objects,
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)

Some circles are used to transmute specific things such as oxygen to make fire, plants
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
etc
Full Metalloid Alchemist
Ahh, thanks. Much appreciated.
al_the_armor_alchemist
The main thing I want to know is what it says on the inside of the Human Transmutation Circle.
Hikari no Hohenheim
Is the same of the FullMetal Alchemist title given to Ed by the Fuhrer, that "pale citrine" thingie.
Spike
ok i know a site with transmutation circles on it

biggrin.gif
eerabbit
yeah...but its not big enough that you can see whats written on the inside of the human transmutation circle so now all my drawings of them are just with scribbles dry.gif
Hikari no Hohenheim
You got it. Uncompress it, open it with Internet Explorer or whatever browser you use, and zoom in. Voila!
Tobu Ishi
According to the Alchemy Website, the symbol on Envy's headband stands for "resina", or as it's more commonly known, myrrh.

Cool. sleep.gif
ped_deus
enter there: http://www.fullmetalalchemist.info/alchemy.html
a lot of transmutation circles
HYDROGEN ALCHEMIST
QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 22 2004, 07:10 PM)
[img=http://img61.exs.cx/img61/3217/transmutationcircle6tm.th.gif]
Heres the picture.
[snapback]64332[/snapback]

Ubercool Schema!
Thanks much, whomever U are.
Kyo_Umerio
Does anyone happen to have a PERFECT pic of Roy's Alchemy Circle? not TOO big, i need it to be jsut big enough so that i can sew or draw it onto the back of a glove, or get it tattooed on my shoulder (not sure if i'm doing that yet happy.gif;;)
FMA JPD
[attachmentid=1415]This is as best I got. Should at least give you a good idea of what it looks like
gseed
You making a cosplay? Oh and getting it tatooed on your sholder would be pretty cool, except when you become older wink.gif
Mistress of Darkness
Does anyone know what the words around the array for the Human transmutation circle are? There's an attached picture I got off the Japanese movie site (Print screen? Oh yeah). I was just curious if anyone knew what it said.</span>
Does anyone know what the words around the array for the Human transmutation circle are? There's an attached picture I got off the Japanese movie site (Print screen? Oh yeah). I was just curious if anyone knew what it said.

the inner most circle says:

Pale white and black with false citrine, imprefect white and red, The peacock's feathers in bright colours, the rainbow

the next circle says:

Pale white and black with false citrine, imprefect white and red, The peacock's feathers in bright colours, the rainbow in the sky above, The spotted panther, the green lion, the crow's beak blue as lead, These shall appear

the upper left semicircle:
after the perfect white follows the grey and

the upper right semicircle:
Pale white and black with false citrine imp (word cuts off)

bottom semircircle:
And afterthe there shall appear the substance

outer circle:
Pale white and black with false citrine, imprefect white and red, The peacock's feathers in bright colours, the rainbow in the sky above, The spotted panther, the green lion, the crow's beak blue as lead, These shall appear before you in perfect white.

and a breakdown of the symbols in the circle:

the upper left is a symbol for Copper and the planet Venus
the bottom left is a symbol for Iron and the planet Mars
the bottom right is ALMOST the symbol for lead but it could be just an ornate representation; it also looks like the symbol for Saturn

and that's the best I can make of it.

and for those of you concerned with real alchemy, this is about all I know on the subject:
Alchemy's main goal, was transforming base metals (copper, tin, iron, etc) into gold, the purest of all metals; Egyptians came up with it, but were conquered by Greece and then later the Arabs, Christians came down to evangelize and took the knowledge of alchemy back up there with them, and viola, there it is.

They dabbled in transmutation by first, distilling plants or urine to get concentrated nitric and hydrochloric acids and then dissolving metals to get other things; I don't remember much of chem class, but I do remember that if you mix copper and nitric acid you get something else; sounds like a transmutation to me.

Things get interesting when you include stuff like The Philosopher's stone and Transmutation circles; the symbols were used for various formulae (formulas) and were modeled after astronomic symbols that the greeks invented (the symbol for male is the symbol for Mars, the symbol for female is the symbol for Venus; this stuff's been around forever!). Geometric patterns establish a tangible feeling for an abstract idea; 7 for the planets, 12 for the different types of reactions, 4 for the basic elements (earth, wind, water fire), and 3 (triangles are a common element of mysticism)

When it comes down to it, alchemists in the past weren't magical and they weren't sorcerers, but they were a little bit mystic and a bit more down to earth (puuuuun) then most; just curious/bored scientists blindly groaping about a field of science that, for them, was not scientific at all.

So to recap: Alchemy is "I'll mix this with that and I hope I get gold" chemestry and the circles look cool
lordentropy
QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 13 2005, 09:28 PM)
omg, thanks so much, but how did you find that out? lol
[snapback]212709[/snapback]

I have a hi-res copy of the big human transmutation circle that the kids use in episode 2, I zoomed in w/ Photoshop and typed what I saw; as for the symbols you can find that stuff in books dealing w/ Astronomy, Astrology and Chemistry, but most textbooks omit symbolic representation of the elements, prefering you should learn them by their name.

Alchemy is not a dead science... I am 21 yrs old and go to Tram College, a college for the Esteric Arts (Alchemy.) Alchemy does use circles, big ones, small ones, any kind. You can transmute thing from broken down structures(matter) using spiritual energy. I'll check back in in a week to answer any questions. P.S. My Alchemist "code name" was given to me because of a lightning Alchemical reaction. They replaced my bones with metal ones.

Uh...alright, then. dry.gif
go here
-Hitokiri-
lol Please someone give him and address of a website with Alchemy Cicle Pics, hehehe. tongue.gif

I could use it too to make one of those Circles a sticker and put it in my car, lol. cool.gif

But i need someone with great knowledge of them to explain me EVERYTHING about them, so i can choose wisely. biggrin.gif
Darkness1246
Well Actually transmutation circles were now thought of by full metal alchemist.
It used to be an old mith.
A Song of Storm and Fire
Um...I honestly couldn't find the answer to this question and I've been searching for hours on end.

Does anyone know what the human transmutation circle says? I can read a few words of it on my FMA hoodie but it's just too small to see. Does anyone know where I can find it?
sakrash
[font=Verdana] Isn't this forum about Transmutation Circles?? Well anyway... if i decide to get a tatoo, maybe I would get a chinese character that sybolizes love on my left arm... but that would never happen

Oh yeah.. Pictures in Saiyuki and FMA are kind of cool also... great advice... I'm sure I would think FMA as corny when I get older...
twitch
QUOTE(hagane_no_tokage @ Nov 26 2004, 07:16 PM) [snapback]40567[/snapback]

i've actually been looking for the same thing msyelf... T_T can't find a site that has them!!! i wanna do sme body art, but i can't find any good reference pics.... mad.gif

Katana Alchemist
i'm not going to wade through all these pages, so apologies if this has been posted already, but an excellent page for this is http://www.fullmetalalchemist.info/alchemy.html

ha, i guess that all i had to do was look at the entry right before mine.
i don't mean to lecture you, but everyone is right about tattoos.

however, a lot of the circles incorporate shapes and such from mythology. for example the ourobouros (sp?) has many many connotations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros mostly it is known for a symbol of the cyclical nature of life.

the pentagram you might want to be a little careful about getting, especially how it's oriented on your body. if two points are going upwards and one downward, it can be a symbol satan.

what are your personal beliefs?
see if you can find a tattoo that represents them. even if you outgrow fma, the symbol can still mean something important to you.
knottyldp
hi, guys, i got directed here after asking in the characters forums as i wasnt sure where it was ment to go so heres a copy and paste of the post

"hi, as you can tell my post count i have just signed up and was wondering if anyone can help me ( sorry this topic is in here but i couldnt think of where to put it, mods fell free to move it to appropriate place)

i am after a picture of the human transmutation circle from episode 3, i have found a few but they are small and low res, i am looking for a large high res image of the circle, preferably one where the writing with the circle can be read, i have been looking for a while now and havnt been able to find, i have used the contact us bit on this site and on funimation( why on funimation i dont know) but have had no luck so i am hoping that one of you guys on here can help me.

thanks in a advance for any help
knotty"

basically im after a large original high res image of the human transmutation circle from episode three with original symbols and writting on them which are big enough to read. i have read this whole topic and havnt found one and have also been on fullmetalalchemiest.info/alchemy and the picture of the circle on there is to small and when enlarged becomes pixellated to much. i was wonderinf if anyone cna help me with eye hurt, ever going quest of finding one. please if anyone has any information for me on this either reply here or email me at knottyleech@hotmail.co.uk
Tombow
Hi knottyldp,
I see you found the new home for your post. Good to see you. smile.gif

I still don't remember where I saw the large circle, but I can tell you the writing around the circle.

The writing reads:
Pale white and black with false critine, imperfect white and red.
The peacock's feathers in bright colors, the rainbow in the sky above.
The spotted panther, the green lion, the crow's beak blue as lead.
These shall appear before you in perfect white, and many more others.
After the perfect white follows the grey and false critine also.
And after these shall appear the substance invarible.

Or, something like that.

It's the same stuff appears in the Cirtificates for the State Alchemist. Verses are from a book called "The Compound of Alchymy" written by George Ripley. smile.gif
knottyldp
awesome, thanks very much that.

i found the picture after through another fma forum so its all godo but i still could make out some of the words so thanks to go you tombow!!
Tombow
@knottyldp - Glad you found one. smile.gif
Sorry some part of my post above didn't make sense. My net connection went down as I was posting that one last night, and couldn't edit to make it more coherent.

Anyway, the writing around the circle doesn't seem like it has anything to do with the human transmutatuon. But it looks good there. biggrin.gif
FuLl_MeTaL_aLcHeMiSt_666
what is the transmutation circle? is it similar to the array? Or is the transmuation circle the thing on Roys gloves? How is it used to use alchemy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.