Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manga Hughes
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Claudius
Is there any Hughes fan here who felt disturbed by the manga version of Maes Hughes? The point of discomfort is this incarnation's participation in the Ishbal Massacre. Like Mustang, Riza, and Armstrong he helps in the slaughter of innocents (He has 'murderer's eyes', and says he can't choose his death after taking innocent lives). He is also forced to helplessly witness Wrath crapping all over the Ishbalans' wish to surrender. I know this is supposed to be flashback character development, but these scenes press me the wrong way. I could expect such scenes from the other three soldiers I listed, but it's hard for me to see Hughes going through that too. A bada-- who could kill people (if need be), I accept. Another docile soldier who (reluctantly but helplessly) killed innocents? I don't know.
This is different from anime Hughes, who took a desk job (at the homefront presumably) and avoided fighting the war. Then again, maybe I'm wrongly sanitizing this version, and thus my complaint has much to do about nothing. It's very possible that anime Hughes had his own demons, having his own share of acts he really isn't proud of. Note the anime adapted his rather cool behavior to making lethal (for humans) attacks on Lust and Envy. Like the manga, this version had experience killing people. Still, it's something worth noting.
Chiisana
Hmmm... I don't fully understand all, but...

We don't know if Hughes had been at the war or not? Maybe he chosen self to do desk job after the war finished?
Beside, the (sob) episode where he got killed by Envy!Ross. Hughes first did a move to 'kill' Envy. That move seem pretty pro in my eyes. I doubt that Hughes could be this good with that weapon with only practice on... doll? Which means that, he must've kill other people before. *-*

Am I talking nonsense here? >_>
Popogeejo
Like Mustang, Riza, and Armstrong he helps in the slaughter of innocents
They weren't "Innocents" The Ishbalans were fighting and killing Aremtris soldiers. No one but Wrath knew what was really going on.
He has 'murderer's eyes'

This is a common saying. It's nothing to do with being a heartless killer. It's just a statement that you've taken lives. Soldiers tend to do this during wars. The more common term is "Eyes of a killer."

Hughes served in a war. Whether he was on the front line or at a desk back home he was aiding the war effort.
I prefer it that he's seen the war in person but been able to move on (unlike Dr.Knox and Marco) and make a life for himself. It's better than having him not know what went on and just being a happy go lucky type.
Claudius
QUOTE(Chiisana @ Apr 7 2007, 04:36 AM) [snapback]526591[/snapback]
Hmmm... I don't fully understand all, but...

Guess it didn't come out right. My point was that seeing Manga Hughes as a docile massacring soldier in Ishbal is uncomfortable.

We don't know if Hughes had been at the war or not? Maybe he chosen self to do desk job after the war finished?
This is a conversation between AnimeHughes and Roy in episode 25:

Hughes: "It was a war."
Roy: "Easy for you to say. You weren't there."
Hughes: "No, I wasn't. And if you didn't want to kill enemies in battle, you shouldn't have been there, either. Should have asked for a desk job like I did."

Hence, AnimeHughes was never in Ishbal.

Beside, the (sob) episode where he got killed by Envy!Ross. Hughes first did a move to 'kill' Envy. That move seem pretty pro in my eyes. I doubt that Hughes could be this good with that weapon with only practice on... doll? Which means that, he must've kill other people before. *-*

Let's not forget putting a knife through Lust's forehead. As I pointed out before, anime Hughes probably did some nasty stuff on the homefront to get that experience. Perhaps he killed a few crooks, murderers, or percieved enemies of the state and felt bad about it. To me, that feels a lot more comfortable than killing Ishbalan men, women, and children.

Am I talking nonsense here? >_>

You're probably not the only one.
ehxhfdl14
Hmm. Personally, I thought of this part as being better than the anime, more character development and such.
Besides, Armstrong appeared to be the most 'docile' soldier with a soft heart (Which was the reason as to why he could not get promoted). While Hughes didn't break down after having to kill the innocents, Armstrong basically couldn't function anymore and they had to send a replacement for him. In the anime, while I was watching I was thinking, 'where the heck did he learn to throw knives like that?' and the manga provides background info.
Sannom
They weren't "Innocents" The Ishbalans were fighting and killing Aremtris soldiers.

Do you recall the people in the church, in chapter 60? The old man commited suicide to kill the soldiers because they would have killed them no matter what. Even if in the church were only women, elderly and wounded people.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Sannom @ Apr 7 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]526778[/snapback]
They weren't "Innocents" The Ishbalans were fighting and killing Aremtris soldiers.

Do you recall the people in the church, in chapter 60? The old man commited suicide to kill the soldiers because they would have killed them no matter what. Even if in the church were only women, elderly and wounded people.

Just looked though chapter 60 and didn't see that scene but it doesn't change that they weren't all innocents. Winry's parents were killed, that doesn't make Armetris inncocent. The simple matter is, in the eyes of the soldiers, the Ishbalans were the enemy attacking them over a simple yet tragic accident. Neither side could be siad to be innocent.
ehxhfdl14
Just looked though chapter 60 and didn't see that scene but it doesn't change that they weren't all innocents. Winry's parents were killed, that doesn't make Armetris inncocent. The simple matter is, in the eyes of the soldiers, the Ishbalans were the enemy attacking them over a simple yet tragic accident. Neither side could be siad to be innocent.

True, neither were truly innocent. Many soldiers killed without wanting to (Hughes, Mustang, Liza, etc.),
and many Ishbalans fought back, too.
Still, Winry's parents were practically the only ones who died on the battlefield and were innocent (in Amestris).
The Ishbalans got ANNIHILATED. Even the elderly and the children.

P.S. Guys, we're getting off-topic. This is about HUGHES. Remember him wink.gif ?
Colette
QUOTE(ehxhfdl14 @ Apr 7 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]526804[/snapback]
Still, Winry's parents were practically the only ones who died on the battlefield and were innocent (in Amestris).
The Ishbalans got ANNIHILATED. Even the elderly and the children.

I'm too lazy to go back and check and I haven't read FMA since some time last year, but I'm pretty sure the Ishbalans attacked Amestris towns to cut down supplies being sent in.

Eh, manga Hughes isn't more "evil" than anime Hughes, he's more realistic. He's not just sunshine and butterflies <_>
Anon
talking abt manga hughes...... pictured him as.....a cool minded chr who can mak eup in any situaion and do ...good things for the military
though after wards his only mission to make the path clear for ROY
Thoyin
I think it's important that Hughes participated in the Ishbal annihilation. Of the soldiers we know, he is the most normal; and through him, Arakawa-sensi shows us the motivations of a good person who is killing other people. His reasons are simple (we see this theme in other places). He is a kind person, and he dosen't agree with the war, but he wants to survive. That's realistic. If it weren't, why would there ever be wars? Most real soldiers fight to keep themselves and (even more so) their comrades alive.

So I guess this makes the manga Hughes more human, and less glorious. I can understand if you liked him as more of a hero. But how realistic is it that anyone who wants to avoid the front lines can do so?

B.T.W. One can get quite good at throwing knives by practicing with targets. smile.gif
Claudius
I thank you for your thoughtful responses.
However, all the replies imply that AnimeHughes never had it rough. All you guys write that 'MangaHughes got experience in Ishbal'. So AnimeHughes did not get any back home?
AnimeHughes is not a completely happy-go-lucky guy. Remember that scene in Episode 23 when he glares at the ruins of Lab 5? Him socking Roy in the episode 25 prologue? What about his compliant attacks on Lust and EnvyRoss? This guy had a grim side behind the 'doting daddy' mask. That attitude and skill didn't come from nowhere.
The difference is that MangaHughes had the advantage of having his pre-series experiences portrayed. AnimeHughes didn't have his homefront experiences animated. But an omission of evidence does not mean evidence of omission. Just because we saw nothing of AnimeHughes' origins doesn't mean he never had any dark experiences. According to the examples I listed above, something bad did happen.
I noted the weakness of this thread from the beginning. Perhaps my boasting about AnimeHughes' dark experiences is based on my subconscious trying to justify MangaHughes' situation. Much ado about nothing.

A.Magik
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.