Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Shapes Your Values?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Carnal Malefactor
I'd like to know what made the people here the people that they are. In other words, what caused you to believe in one thing and not in another? What shaped the world view that dictates how you react to situations and events, and reject other world views?

I didn't put this in Debate District, because it's intended to be a survey and an exchange of ideas, rather than an argument over right and wrong.
Popogeejo
Parents (well my Mum and Gran), friends and personal experience.
Quistis88
Parents/siblings, religion, friends (which I forgot to tick), and personal experiences.
RoyMustangkitty
Parents/siblings/other family and personal experience and religion (wich I forgot to vote on X-x)
Zarpia
Intuition/Innate sense of right & wrong and personal experiences.
Envy II
Personal experiences and intuition.
ed_drink_your_milk
Friends, personal experience and intuition. (Although, I was under the impression we're supposed to explain a little.)
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE("Super Milk-Chan")
(Although, I was under the impression we're supposed to explain a little.)

I really wish y'all would. XD
ed_drink_your_milk
Right then, I shall. biggrin.gif

Friends-They helped me find myself, both the good and the bad. Of course, I prefer being happy with my friends, but even the bad relationships have helped me to realize who I am. (And to learn to just suck it up.)

Intuition-This possibly could have been influenced before the point that I conciously knew, but I've always been a very outspoken person about certain subjects. That's partly what led me on-stage to preach about environmentalism last year. XD

Personal Experiences-I've always been somewhat of a 'people watcher' and though I'm outspoken when it comes to matters that are truely important to me, I'm more of a listener. I've found that the more time I spend listening to other people the more things I've realized about life in general. And I think it's interesting.
Bling_bling_Angel
Hmmm...mellow.gif

Parents, religion, and personal experience would be the culprits.
Carnal Malefactor
We should really do pie charts...
edsgirl
Parents/Siblings/Other family. I think I've mentioned a lot of times why I'm such a screwed up individual. They are the culprits. sleep.gif
Colette
QUOTE(Abstruse Eulogy @ Apr 5 2007, 06:16 PM) [snapback]526095[/snapback]
We should really do pie charts...

Friends: My friends are the kind of friends that you get only once you've gained their respect. Not the "Hey, let's be friends because we just should!" kind of friends. So I try to be the best I can so I don't disappoint the faith they put in me. They also give me advice, or recommend things for me to do.

Personal Experience:...Long story I'd rather not share in a public forum, sorry =P But if certain events didn't happen, I wouldn't be in the shell I am when it comes to interacting with people. I also wouldn't be half as mature, and god knows what stupid choices I would have made.

Sense of Right and Wrong: I don't think this really needs explaining.

Family: See friends. Except I didn't have to earn my family >.>'

Other: Well, I'm sure other things affect who I am other than the above? ._.'

Nepharski
Family, religion/spirituality, education, and intuition cover most of my bases, although as an added rule what I believe should also make sense to me, even if I can't necessarily explain it to others. It needs to click.
Ratzenheich FMA Super fan
Education (personal formation and values are a top priority in my school)
Personal Experiences
Friends and Peers (luckily I don't have bad friends)
Kenji
100% Personal Experience.

I'm what I'm today is all from my own experience. And as Nepharski said, its just too complicated to explain. In short, I have seen/feel/taste quite a lot based on my age- Drugs, Tobacco, Alcohol, Explicit Stuffs, Triads, etc etc....
Amol
Parents/Siblings/Other family & Personal Experiences , these are the one that make maximum contribution in my case ... !
Carnal Malefactor
2 votes for religion
0 votes for media/pop culture

...I suddenly feel more at peace with the world...
asunder
all my values have been shaped from anime.... fma taught me so much!!!11!
Slashrose1010
I said Friends, Siblings/Family, Education, Personal Experience and Intuition.

Intuition:
I feel this is self explanatory. We all have consciences and it shapes our views and actions. But it is all these outside forces that really shapes how our intuition acts.

Siblings/Family:

I take basic values and manners from my parents, but I contribute most of my relative influences towards my elder siblings, my older brother, Peter, in particular. We're kind of the odd balls in the family and are probably the most open to new things and ideas and he is the one that has taught me to love art and everything. I used to take after a lot of his philosophies and I still do with some of them, but he's an art/intellectual kind of guy, so we also differ in many views. But he's helped me grow a lot, especially when it comes to knowing myself and my beliefs. My sister helped me grow more socially. She's kind of a party outgoing girl and has given me some life advice and has helped me with my parents and Jess and I respect her because she's fun, but she's also very sensible and smart as well.

Education:

I was raised in a highly religious Roman Catholic family, and I used to be a pretty firm believer in all of its creeds and doctrines. I retain some of the morals that was taught, but I reject the rest of the religion. So I gained that from my religious education, but the reason I reject the rest is from my education in school. You learn all about science and logic within school and it countered my religious belief and helped me think more logically about things. It gives you a better understanding and comprehension, I think. So I give thanks to education for ridding me of religious belief.

Personal Experience:

We all learn from experience, so why would it not shape our values? I have gone through many valuable experiences, I think, that have shaped me. I've met people or done things within relationships that give insight and priority on what is important. Like my relationship with my girlfriend. I've gone through a lot within a year, and I've learned so much about how you should conduct a proper relationship, whether it is romantic and platonic. Which really correlates with the last, but certainly not least...

Friends/Peers:

This is the most important group in my life. I got my basic values from everyone else, but my friends have taught me so much. I used to be so reclusive, shy and unconfident before my freshman year, and I gradually grew out of my shell because of my friends. I think I stayed the same person, I just put myself out there more and enjoy life socially a lot more than I used to. I've built strong bonds with my best friends and continue to grow. These are the formative years of a person afterall.

As for peer groups... yes, people in school affect me, but I selected this more because people on this forum *in particular* have helped shape values, opinions and beliefs. Personal contributions to Arche, Bacon, Celes, EKE and Coffee-chan. I've been a member here for awhile and I can guarantee myself that I would not be even close to the same person if I had not joined this place.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I checked personal experience but really I feel that includes everything really.

Parent:
Made me the disfunctional person I am really. Thanks mom.

My personal experience has shaped me the most, the people I've met, the adventures I've gone on, the highest highs and lowest lows have all contributed to the person I am today. More than family or friends I feel what I've experienced in life has had the most impact on who I am as a person.
instantmirage
unfortunately for me:

here's the order of what might comes first and then the following,,,
Education
Religion/Spirituality
Intuition/Innate sense of right & wrong
Parents/Siblings/Other family
Friends/Peer groups
Personal Experiences
Media/Pop Culture

its just sort of preferance right?
Razzy
I learn my values from religion.
Carnal Malefactor
...that's it? Just religion? blink.gif
Naivete
...I suddenly feel more at peace with the world...

laugh.gif

Only personal experiences and intuition/innate sense of right & wrong so far in my life...
Nepharski
Actually, I think most of us would cover all out bases with just "Personal experiance," which encompasses all of the above really; family, religion, education, friends, pop media, everything except for intuition.

Although I hope for the sake of humanity that nobody here has their values shaped by pop culture media.
Carnal Malefactor
"Personal Experience" isn't a catch-all. It refers to things that you have actually witnessed and experienced firsthand that altered your perception of what reality is or should be. In other words, it's like anecdotal evidence in the first-person. Religion, Parents, Education, etc. would all be in the second or third person.
Thievesvinegar
Everything Bacon listed and karma. Although I was advised to spew everything out to become myself again.
Haruka_The_Alchemist
QUOTE(asunder @ Apr 7 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]526769[/snapback]

Haha,same here,but it wasn't only FMA it was also Friuts Basket(Manga),and I'm not
sure what else at the current time.-^-^-"
Carnal Malefactor
...Please tell me you're joking...
Chiyo
Initially it would be my family who taught me most, but independance taught my many things through personal experience. Whereas before I may have just gone along with families thinking I now try to think and make decisions for myself (though I have a fairly level headed family)
Nepharski
"Personal Experience" isn't a catch-all. It refers to things that you have actually witnessed and experienced firsthand that altered your perception of what reality is or should be. In other words, it's like anecdotal evidence in the first-person. Religion, Parents, Education, etc. would all be in the second or third person.

Alright, fair enough.
GREEDisGOOD
Of course family and religion have shaped me. But I also put media. Though don't be confused - NOT POP CULTURE!!! Thank god my values haven't been shaped by people like Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. My values have been shaped by media, like the books I've read and the movies and shows I've seen.
Haruka_The_Alchemist
QUOTE(Abstruse Eulogy @ Apr 18 2007, 03:09 PM) *
Um sorry for the late reply if your talking to me.well it kinda is true but I forgot to put that books that I've read also shaped my values,eheh sorry didn't remember that at the time and maybe some movies that I've seen with my brother but none are coming to mind right now,ehehe.-^u^-;
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Haruka_The_Alchemist @ Apr 18 2007, 08:58 PM) *
QUOTE(asunder @ Apr 7 2007, 02:19 PM) *

Haha,same here,but it wasn't only FMA it was also Friuts Basket(Manga),and I'm not
sure what else at the current time.-^-^-"
QUOTE(Haruka_The_Alchemist @ Oct 12 2007, 09:40 PM) *
QUOTE(Abstruse Eulogy @ Apr 18 2007, 03:09 PM) *
Um sorry for the late reply if your talking to me.well it kinda is true but I forgot to put that books that I've read also shaped my values,eheh sorry didn't remember that at the time and maybe some movies that I've seen with my brother but none are coming to mind right now,ehehe.-^u^-;

Poor Abby. His faith in humanity must really be wearing thin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.