Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Link By L'arc~en~ciel
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Music > FMA-1 Anime Music
Ratzenheich FMA Super fan
What do you guy's think of "Link" by L`Arc~En~Ciel. This is the opening theme of the Fullmetal Alchemist movie.

I feel that this song fits Fullmetal Alchemist the most. I feel like it was specially crafted for Fullmetal Alchemist. Just listening to the lyrics gives me this genuine feel that only watching the Fullmetal Alchemist can give. I love this song so much and I listen to it a few times a day. It's a good tandem with "Lost Heaven", the FMA movie ending theme. Yes, the brothers are apart and long to see each other again. Yet when they are finally together again they lose everything else.

Anyway, here are the lyrics in romanji.

Oboete iru kai? Osanai goro kara
tsumasaki dachi de
todokanai tobira ga atta yo ne
Jikan wo wasurete
samayoi tsukushita
meiro no michi wa itsumo soko ni iki ataru
Muishiki ni kimi no egao wo
sagasu no wa tomerarenai
Nani hitotsu kawarazu ni ima mo
boku wa kakete yuku

Tatoe haruka tooku hanarebanare
ni natte mo... tsunagari au omoi
Itazura na unmei ga, furikakarou tomo
kowareyashinai

Nozomareru asu ga
sono saki ni aru to
atama no okude dare mo
ga kizuite iru hazu sa
Harewataru hibi ni
arasoi no dogu ga
kiesaru toki wo
itsuka kimi ni misetai na
Kizutsuke au no wo yamenai
ochite yuku sekai dakedo
Kimi ni deaeta koto dakede mou
nani mo kowaku wa nai

Tatoe kono karada ga
itsuka moetsukitemo iisa
kimi ni sasagu nara
Oozora e to boku wa
mashiro ni mai agari
mamotte ageru

-bridge-

Tatoe haruka tooku hanarebanare
ni natte mo... tsunagari au omoi
Itazura na unmei ga, furikakarou tomo
kowareyashinai

Tatoe kono karada ga
itsuka moetsukitemo iisa
kimi ni sasagu nara
Itsuka umare kawaru
sekai ga sono me ni
todoku to iina

Translation in English:

Can you still remember, when we were young?
Even by the use of tip-toe, there was that door that we couldn't reach.
Forgetting about the time, always lost and wandering and ending up there in that path of the maze.
I subconsciously search for your smile and can't stop doing so.
And even now, nothing's changed and I'm still running forward.

No matter how very far apart we are
...there is this feeling that connects us.
Even if an ill fate were to befall us,
that can't be destroyed.

I hoped for a tomorrow wherein everyone thought that
there were no more tools of war and someday show you that on a sunny day.
Everyone can't stop hurting each other and this world is falling.
When I finally meet you I will have nothing more to fear.

No matter how much this body burns, it's ok, I'll offer it all to you.
I will fly up to the blue sky in white to give you protection.

-bridge-

...there is this feeling that connects us.
And even if an ill fate were to befall us,
that can't be destroyed.

No matter how much this body burns, it's ok, I'll offer it all to you.
Someday when this world has changed, we'll reach it and it will be all fine.

*I had to make a few changes when it was translated into English. It's weird and vague if it's translated directly without changes. Gah... Japanese and its vagueness.

I hope you like it.
Kenji
The song is nice...
Among my favourite L'arc~En~Ciel's songs
and I mastered the whole song in 3 nights... XD

even the opening AMV is nice... ^.^
Edamame
I believe that there was already a thread for "Link", but I can not seem to find it currently. L'Arc en Ciel is a rather versatile band, but I thought Link sounded rather different from some of the darker songs on their last C.D. Awake. It is definetly not my favourite song by the band, but I found it rather upbeat. Personally, I just think that the lyrics are rather inspiring and fit the the general mood of F.M.A. (I really wasn't a fan of Tetsu singing the chorus though.) I liked Link a lot more than the ending "Lost Heaven." The music video still manages to baffle me somehow.
You did a rather nice job with the translation into English; you maintained the meaning of the song and didn't confuse the syntax. It is rather hard to maintain the original meaning of the song without making it sound garbled and vague. I was looking up some of the words in my dictionary, and there are numerous meanings for some of them.
I do agree that L'Arc~En~Ciel is a very versatile band, that's why I consider them my favorite J-Rock band, or Japanese artist for that matter. I didn't really like the music video of "Link" much. I'd rather watch the FMA movie opening instead. I wish that there is an official "Link" music video only featuring FMA. When my video editing skills reach a certain level wherein I can recreate some things that are present in the FMA movie opening, I'll make a music video for "Link" in the same style as the FMA movie opening, but using the full 4:48 song. But that's probably a few years from now.

Regarding the translation, thanks! I tried to keep the translation as close to the original as possible but there are just so many connotations for some of the lines. I've checked some of the translations made by other people and it seems that they altered many parts of the song to make it sound better when said. But so far that's the closest I can go without making it sound really awkward. The translation was easy... but choosing the right meanings for the lines was hard.

BTW, did I hear you right? Tetsu was the one singing the chorus? I'm positive that Hyde was the only one that sang during the entire song.
Kenji
QUOTE(Ratzenheich FMA Super fan @ Mar 20 2007, 08:05 AM) [snapback]519722[/snapback]
BTW, did I hear you right? Tetsu was the one singing the chorus? I'm positive that Hyde was the only one that sang during the entire song.

I think so too... My sis say the whole song is sung by Hyde...
Edamame
Kenji: Wow, you are right. I have no idea why he sounds vaguely like Testu though. Hyde sounds more nasal than usual. His voice has a much warmer and deeper quality on the Awake C.D. Perhaps I am so used to their earlier songs where Hyde and Tetsu sang together.
Kenji
The chorus requires a lower pitch of voice, thus the sound produced will be a little different...
Whenever I utter out

"Tatoe haruka tooku hanarebanare ni natte mo... tsunagari au omoi
Itazura na unmei ga, furikakarou to mo koware yashinai"

and the other part that starts with "tatoe..." my voice can't be same when I sang out both part of:

"Oboete iru kai? Osanai goro kara tsumasaki dachi de
todokanai tobira ga atta yo ne
Jikan wo wasurete samayoi tsukushita
meiro no michi wa itsumo soko ni iki ataru
Muishiki ni kimi no egao wo sagasu no wa tomerarenai
Nani hitotsu kawarazu ni ima mo boku wa kakete yuku"

and

"Nozomareru asu ga sono saki ni aru to
atama no okude dare mo ga kizuite iru hazusa
Harewataru hibi ni arasoi no dogu ga
kiesaru toki wo itsuka kimi ni misetai na
Kizutsuke au no wo yamenai ochite yuku sekai dakedo
Kimi ni deaeta koto dakede mou nani mo kowaku wa nai"
Twilightz
I LOVE the song! Yeah, the music video isn't very fancy. It looked a bit cheap and anyway the FMA movie opening is far more better than the original vid. It's a shame that they didn't use that long version in the opening, but I understand. It would' ve been too long.
Chiisana
I love this song along with the lyrics >w<
When it comes to
Tatoe haruka tooku hanarebanare ni natte mo... tsunagari au omoi
Itazura na unmei ga, furikakarou to mo koware yashinai
I totally love that >w<
Even when we become separated far, far apart, our thoughts will interconnect
Even if impish destiny befalls us, they won’t be destroyed
Nyuuuuuu love <3 Entire lyrics sounds like Edward singing (I know it isn't sung by Paku Romi, but I like to assume Edward singing to make it more emotional x3 ) about him and his beloved brother <3 Strong brotherly bonds <3 Squeeee~!!
GAAAHHH! Chiisana PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE change your avatar to something non-Yaoi! That Ed x Al yaoi kissing thing is sickening me... No offense but it's because I'm a guy. Having something like that wouldn't be so nice if it's paired up with the song "Link"... its like... defiling the meaning of the song. Please... take it off.
Kenji
LOL-ism
Whats an avatar gotta do with Link?

Nyuuuuuu love <3 Entire lyrics sounds like Edward singing (I know it isn't sung by Paku Romi, but I like to assume Edward singing to make it more emotional x3 ) about him and his beloved brother <3 Strong brotherly bonds <3 Squeeee~!!

I don't think she even suggested Link should be sing by Ed and Al...

----
By the way...thats too fangirlish...
Well, I think you missed the point. "Link", due to lack of better words, is like telling the listener the wish of the brothers. They want to be together in a family and brotherly way. But her avatar screams Ed x Al yaoiness. OMG! That's incest already.

BTW, Kenji... I did just notice now due to your sig that the Mr. Pringles logo, if the mustache is inverted, looks like the new Mazda emblem. LOL.
Kenji
Hahaha... real brothers will not commit incest...
So I am pretty sure Ed and Al won't commit it... XDXD
Whats wrong with L'arc~En~Ciel?
I mean...this song will be too high pitched if Romi paku sing it... Her singing voice and acting voice are completely different... While her speaking voice bears assembles to an average teen boy [14-16 yr olds], her women voice will be unleashed when she sings... wink.gif

-------
Actually thats the Mazda logo...and if both of the strokes are inverted...it will look like Mr. Pringles

Click to view attachment >>> Click to view attachment

By the way, this is off topic, so this discussion ends here... laugh.gif
Chiisana
My avatar isn't yaoi T-T It's shounen ai~ (Haha okay I won't argue in this one xD)

but one thing is clear; I don't interpret the song with Elricest at all. I interpret is as normal brotherly, family love.
My Elricest fandom is something else, so please don't get me wrong xD

About my avatar. Can I stick with this? T-T There isn't any rules bout having shounen ai avatar here, right? >.< Why can't I have Elricest avatar when other have RoyxEd? T___T
Kenji
Ok...ok...you can have it...
That yaoi/shonen-ai/hentai avatar discussion ends here, right now...
This is a tread dedicate for the song Link by L'Arc~En~Ciel

Thanks for your understanding, co-operation etc etc...
Tombow
^^ Good call Kenji!! biggrin.gif

And, even though I can understand Ratzenheich FMA Super fan's point, I believe Chiisana's avatar is well within the board guidelines, and unless Chiisana reposts that particular pic on the post itself to make specific point or something, IMO, I don't see any issue in having that as an avatar and posting here. smile.gif

Anyway, you guys are having good discussions on this song! Please keep on. happy.gif
Mudkipblader
I'm not so familiar with the rest of the songs sung by L'arc~en~ciel, but I really like Link and Lost heaven.
I've rapidly read the translation you wrote, and it's very nice. Totally expresses the bond between the two brothers. I think it also gives a good opening to the movie. I mean, it gives a bit rithme to it, it throws you in the movie. I really like that. Lost Heaven on the contrairy, closes the story with a more calm theme.

I still can't figure out which one I like more, Link of LH. But I know that I like Link. It's one of my favourite FMA songs. I once started to watch the MV of Link, but didn't finish it 'cause my internet connection was bugging me. X_X

((REALLY oftopic: You know, Pringels is made in my homeland. xD))
Nekokitty
I love this song. One of those songs I could listen to all day without getting tired of it! X3
And the lyrics do remind me of Ed and Al's brotherly bond.

I like Chiisana's avatar, I thought the picture was cute so I added it to my faves on DA.
Kenji
QUOTE(Mudkipblader @ Mar 24 2007, 04:50 AM) [snapback]521090[/snapback]
I'm not so familiar with the rest of the songs sung by L'arc~en~ciel, but I really like Link and Lost heaven.

How unfamiliar?? LOL laugh.gif

((REALLY oftopic: You know, Pringels is made in my homeland. xD))

So you are from the States...
made by Procter & Gamble...
Those chips are yummy...once you munch, you cant stop till the last piece!!

-Pringles discussion ends-
@ Chiisana

It's the same... yaoi is just more explicit. Shounen-ai is less. Just passing by and seeing the avatar sickens me. You probably feel different because you're a girl, too bad I'm a guy. It's disturbing, and especially given that it's by two of the main characters in my favorite show. I know it's within board guidelines but I'm seeing leniency here because this is a predominantly female forum. But just a personal request... change it to something else, Ed x Al if you want just no kissing or anything suggestive. Have some consideration... please.

@ Mudkipblader

So, what's that country? XD The USA like what Kenji said? I'm not sure where Pringles is made. I buy Ruffles. biggrin.gif

It's the best opening and closing theme for a movie. But Lost Heaven makes things even look more bleak and sad that's why I prefer listening to Link. When Lost Heaven starts, that scene starts rolling in my head, the part wherein the Elric brothers are riding on a truck and leaving off towards a horizon in a new world. And we see Rose, Pinako and Armstrong playing with the kids and then we see Winry polishing the dog's nails and finally it shows a corkboard with pictures of their past and what may send a chill down any dedicated fan is the picture of Ed and Al in formal wear and *POOF*, down rolls the credits of the movie. It's really sad...

@ NekoKitty

OMG. Another female shounen-ai lover. sleep.gif
Yeah, same here, one time I had "Link" play for like 5 hours straight while on the computer. ph34r.gif
Mudkipblader
@at everyone above me: No, I'm from Belgium, If I'm correct Pringels is made in Mechelen (I read that on a foreign box of Pringels xD)

And how unfamiliar I am with LAeC? eh....I know, RSG, Link and Lost Heaven. That's so sad, Isn't it. xO

I still think that Link is great as an opening.
Chiisana
@ Ratzenheich FMA Super fan - Well I can't really say that Yaoi and shounen ai are same except from that both are boyxboy. Because I dislike yaoi (a lot) but still like shounen ai. I can understand how you feel since you're a guy xP But the fangirls overall are -cough- "crazy" so it can't really be helped. xD Gomen ne~

(In case some fangirls here get mad at me for calling them "crazy", I will state that most of them, or probably only me. So please don't get insulted for that happy.gif)

@ NekoKitty - Yaaaaay -glomp-

Okay let's get back to Link - L'Arc~en~Ciel. Again I just love this song ^__^ Were listening to this song at the bus (my own mp3) and concentrated a lot on the lyrics tongue.gif
Wait... did you just say "WE'RE LISTENING"? As in... how many of your girls were there? >_< OMG. I don't like it when I play the songs I like while people are around and they're hearing it.
Kenji
QUOTE(Mudkipblader @ Mar 24 2007, 10:57 PM) [snapback]521342[/snapback]
@at everyone above me: No, I'm from Belgium, If I'm correct Pringels is made in Mechelen (I read that on a foreign box of Pringels xD)

aah...home to finest chocolates! Love Belgian chocs!

And how unfamiliar I am with LAeC? eh....I know, RSG, Link and Lost Heaven. That's so sad, Isn't it. xO
Ooh... lol... Do you mean you only get to know L'Arc~En~Ciel [Damn...I hate typing out their band name... making my fingers ache!] after you watched FMA ?? Hahaha...me too! A few days ago, I just downloaded another song by them, Dive to Blue... very nice and the style is quite different. IMO Ready Steady Go!, Link, Lost Heaven and Dive to Blue has its own, respective uniqueness...

I still think that Link is great as an opening.

Obvious... if not, it won't be featured as Conqueror of Shambala opening song and BONES will be flamed by fans for putting suckie song as an opening theme... tongue.gif
Mudkipblader
Yes, in fact I got to know l'arc en Ciel after I found out that RSG is sung by them. xD

If the opening song was bad, I'd curse Bones forever. (found out not so long ago they made FMA xD)

Yes our chocolate is the said to be good, I still prefer the Swiss Toblerone =x
Roy Mustard
I didn't think the opening song was cheap, I thought it was made pretty good since it bought back the memories of what happened in the TV show. I liked how all the flashbacks in the Link opening were brown-crumpled-paper like, and the last one where Ed rerives Al, it shines with blue.
Link was my best song in the movie.

I don't know if it's just me, but I liked that gypsy song as well. It didn't really sound like Japanese in the chourus though. ._.
I liked "Kelas ~ Let's dance" too. The opening song and the video that was with it was a very good tandem. The crumpled brown paper thing is one thing I really liked.

BTW, the chorus in Kelas isn't Japanese. I think it's Russian or German, as I've heard elsewhere.
Kenji
QUOTE(Ratzenheich FMA Super fan @ Mar 25 2007, 09:38 PM) [snapback]521751[/snapback]
BTW, the chorus in Kelas isn't Japanese. I think it's Russian or German, as I've heard elsewhere.

Russian...

Mudkipblader
Really? It could be German too, but I can't recognise it. (When Eckhart lays her hand on Envy, she speaks German, but the only word I can understand is "Zusammen" (Together).

I think Kelas is a great introduction to Link. You see all those Gypsies dancing, and then we see Ed, thinking about what Noah said. Then Link starts, maybe the Opening song is what's written in Ed's memory. It would make it even better.
Yes. I agree. The eerie theme of Kelas and then an up beat theme plays.

BTW, I had an idea while I was at the mall. I though of making an English version of "Link". Please feel free to tell me if the idea sucks. I've already thought of altering the lyrics a bit to fit the tune of the song. I'll try to record it later or tomorrow. Yes... you'll be unfortunate to listen to my ugly voice and hear the really crappy lyrics. ph34r.gif

Does anyone here know a good audio hosting site? If not I'll be forced to upload it on YouTube and the sound quality will suck.

I love the song so much! I wanna make an English version of it for some time now... But I'm scared of being flamed to death if they think it sucks. sad.gif
Twilightz
Actually that's pretty interesting idea.. happy.gif
Mudkipblader
Yes, It sounds like a very interesting Idea. ^^
Go Ahead if you want.
Kenji
QUOTE(Ratzenheich FMA Super fan @ Mar 25 2007, 10:57 PM) [snapback]521770[/snapback]
Does anyone here know a good audio hosting site? If not I'll be forced to upload it on YouTube and the sound quality will suck.

You can upload it on Filefront then we can download from there... of course, the link you provide will helps a lot... ^.^

I love the song so much! I wanna make an English version of it for some time now... But I'm scared of being flamed to death if they think it sucks. sad.gif

Good idea... You may consult a vocal teacher if you want before you record... just a suggestion... tongue.gif
OMG! I'm so sorry if it took long to make this. It's only today that I had the time to record the song since I'm the only one in the house today. The rest of the family went somewhere I don't know. I couldn't record it before because my family might think something's wrong with me because I'm singing loudly.

BTW, I'm sorry if it's posted in YouTube. Couldn't find other hosting sites that provide quality and easy audio streaming. I also don't have the karaoke version of Link. I tried to do a method I saw somewhere to make karaoke tracks using Audacity but it didn't work for Link. So the song I recorded is using Link with the lyrics. I faded it a bit though so the original lyrics won't be heard as loudly.

This is my first run. I hope you like it! happy.gif And if someone can provide me Link without the lyrics, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

My first run of "Link" in English

EDIT:
Fixed it.
Kenji
"The video you have requested is not available.

If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process."

LMAO... tongue.gif

--------
You can upload it on Filefront, provide us the link and we can download it from there... If you want to upload audio, upload it under "Add File".

Anyway, applause to you for doing it. ^.^
Fixed it. The link in my other post and this post is the same.

This is my first run. I hope you like it! And if someone can provide me Link without the lyrics, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Twilightz
Man, you did it! Nice! I'm listening your song right now. biggrin.gif
Mudkipblader
Nice. ^^

One thing: can you post the lyrics here? Sometimes it's hard to hear you over the original version. =i
Wow. Thanks! happy.gif

I checked out other translations of the song by other people so I can get ideas of what words to use and replace. Anyway, it still isn't the final version. I'm open to comments so I can improve on my second run. Hopefully by then I have the karaoke track of Link.

Anyway, here are the lyrics:

Can you remember back then
when we were all just so young
there was this door we couldn't reach
no matter how many times we tried to tip-toe

We always forgot about the time
as we ran around and laughed
wandering off to places and quickly felt that we're all so lost

I can't stop myself from subconsiously seeking your smile
that I've always missed and kept on longing

And even if nothing in this world has changed
I will just keep on moving on!

there are just these dreams I can't stop seeing
I think it's a link between our hearts

And even if a mischievous and perverse fate
were to ever befall us
that link can't be broken

There's that tomorrow I hoped for
where everyone would just laugh and smile
and everything would just whizz by
as if the only thing that mattered is peace

I know that this world is filled with love
There can be a time with no more war
I hope I can show that world on
a bright and breezy sunny day

But the truth looks so bleak and this world is falling
The people around us just can't stop hurting
Though on that day that I meet you
I will have nothing more to fear!

No matter how much this body burns out
Don't say a word because it's okay
I'll offer it all to you

I don't want to see that smile go away
So to the great blue sky I promise
I'll always protect you

-bridge-

There are just these dreams I can't stop seeing
I think it's a link between our hearts

And even if a mischievous and perverse fate
were to ever befall us
that link can't be broken

No matter how much this body burns out
Don't say a word because it's okay
I'll offer it all to you

And when this world finally changes
We'll hope across the horizon
And things will be alright

I'll be working on my second run when I'm all alone in the house again, just like yesterday.

Kenji
You can fade out the lyrics part using Adobe Audition 2.0 leaving only the instrumental. The site I posted provides free trial downloads and when it says trials, the program only works for 30 days.

Or you can buy the pirated copy in stores which will last until you delete it... tongue.gif
Chiisana
Woa! Very nice O_o
Zachelle
It may be a little bit late to reply here, but what the heck, laugh.gif ..
I'm listening to your song right now, very nice! Link is my favorite song and i think you really did a great job! Good luck on your second run, and you can count on it that i'll listen to that too! biggrin.gif
esrz22
Hrm. I first thought of the Zelda series when I saw the word Link. Amusingly, the translated lyrics up there have stuff that can be applied to Zelda Games (especially Majora's Mask, with the time forgetting and world (moon) falling (and the world not changing (time resetting), and Ocarina of Time, with the young-and-couldn't-reach bit.). >.>
Chiisana
Hey guys! I've got a link where you can download Link Karaoke version! PM me if you want the link happy.gif
Especially Ratzenheich-san biggrin.gif We're all looking forward to your song >w<
Kenji
We have the Hyless-version of Link uploaded for us not long time ago by Elderberry-san in the Karaoke thread. ^.^

Thanks for the sources guys but I already got it from Elderberry in the karaoke thread like a week ago. Seems like you haven't read the posts there. tongue.gif

Anyway, I'm still waiting for a day wherein I'm all alone in the house so I can go karaoke mode! biggrin.gif
Mudkipblader
Can't wait for that one. =D
Fujihakama
I LOVE THAT SONG! Lost Heaven is a good song too. But I still like Link better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.