Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shou And Nina - Possibly Alike In More Ways Than One?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Becca-chan
Aww man.. why do I get the feeling I'm treading fine wire here?

But this was something that came up in a conversation between me and an online friend of mine who both believe that Nina would of grown up to be just like Shou.

I already posted this on another website.. but I really wanted to see if anyone here had mixed views about it.

The only reason that I seem to think that Nina would of grown up to be like Shou, is because there's small little hints; probably more so in the anime than the manga..and also save for the fact that she looks a lot like a child ( and of course, girl) version of her father too.

I have a few examples showing why I think the way I do about why I reckon she would of become like Shou.. but I'll reserve them for later if the need be.

Anyway.. discuss and share your views on this topic!
I look forward to reading them. happy.gif
kaizenyorii
if youre gonna withhold your reasons then this thread is pointless. thats my view
Becca-chan
Well *that* was friendly.. you didn't have to sound mean about it >.<; because that's how it sounded to me..

Anyway.. I'll present my reasons..

Example 1 - The ( rather well-drawn) drawing of the transmutation circle.. I know that seems like a silly reason, considering she drew it to help Edward with his wish..

But think about it, since Nina was exposed to alchemy at a young age ( and saw the wonders of it, thanks to Ed) ..it would be possible that she would of thought about taking it up when she got older.. although that's just speculation.. but it wouldn't surprise me if that really did happen, she seemed to be very enthralled by it.

Example 2 - Both Nina and Shou's reactions to seeing Al for the first time, Nina seems extremely curious about her ' Bigger brother' and if you look at Shou for that split second
he's looking at Al, he's also curious as well ( and even has a shine in his eyes too)

Here's two screenshots of that particular scene..

Nina's reaction.

Shou's reaction.

My personal favourite example.. the dinner scene in episode 7, here they are practically doing the same thing.

And then there's the hug scene between father and daughter that takes place at different times in the manga and anime.

In a way.. the two of them seem to have switched roles and the hug postures have sort of been switched around.

Click to view attachment
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Yang...TheHugScene.jpg
- as the scene shows, in the manga; it's Nina who goes to Shou and wraps her arms around him in a hug.

- While in the anime, Shou's the one that goes to Nina and wraps his arms around her in a hug.

Surely all of those say something about who Nina would of been like when she got older.. even though all we can do is speculate on the topic.. I want to hear what everyone else has to say on the matter.

<Switched the posting of 1 oversizw pic to an Attachment to stop stretching of the forum page. ^^ 7/05/07 ~Tombow>
Popogeejo
Example 2 - Both Nina and Shou's reactions to seeing Al for the first time, Nina seems extremely curious about her ' Bigger brother' and if you look at Shou for that split second he's looking at Al, he's also curious as well ( and even has a shine in his eyes too)
They were curious to see a giant suit of armour? That makes them totally alike...

My personal favourite example.. the dinner scene in episode 7, here they are practically doing the same thing.

Nina was raised by Shou so it's not that hard to see why she acts like him...

I think it's completely silly to:
1) Speculate on a four year olds future personality,
2) Speculate on a dead four year olds future personality,
3) Base such speculations on very trivial stuff.

Also, what do you mean by "Grow up to be like Shou"? I'm assuming you mean she'd have grown up to be a Chimera alchemist who turns family members into pets. None of what you showed would imply she would.
Becca-chan
Maybe it sounds silly to you.. but sometimes us fans like to speculate on that kind of stuff since nothing was really set in stone on a subject like this.. despite what other fans ( who don't do this sort of thing) think.

And since little Nina didn't last long ( unfortunately), we never really got the chance to see whether she would of become like him or not.

But the idea of her becoming an alchemist is there.. maybe not exactly the same as her father ( I wonder what people's opinions of Nina would be like then?) but an alchemist nevertheless.
I've already said, the poor kid was exposed to enough of it in order to gain some kind of interest in it, and could of been something that she might of taken up when she got older.

And it's a little known fact that children do become a lot like their parents, whether they notice it or not..and this is no different for FMA.

Of course that would then raise the idea that Nina could of grown up to be like her mother instead.. even though we have *no* idea what her mother was like..aside from what Nina and Shou say about her.
Amol
Does this Suggest that Nina would have grown up to somewhat like Tucker ?

Well , I think she would have !
sarah_mary_williams
I agree with the examples you put, Becca-chan. You really put some thought into them! I'd also like to add something to what you put as a response to the person who said
I think it's completely silly to:
1) Speculate on a four year olds future personality
Take how Ed and Al got as they grew older. They, just like Nina, started showing an interest in alchemy at about the same age. Their mother after seeing their first attempt at alchemy stated how they really did take after their father in their ability and interest in alchemy. I think seeing this within the show proves what you're saying is most likely what would have happened. I mean, I don't think she would have exactly been like her father, just like how Ed and Al weren't just like their father as well. Still, I think if we did get to see Nina grow up, she would have taken an interest in alchemy similar to her father's.
Alchemical
I would think Nina would act a bit like Shou, with him being her father and all... But I think she would have grown up to be more like Ed in the view of alchemy and determination, had she been able to, well, 'grow up' with him. I could only assume Ed would still visit her after he had become a famous State Alchemist and the series progressed.
Misty- Nala
Where to begin.. I think Nina would have become an alchemist. As pointed out, she drew good circles for someone her age. Even I can't make that good transmutations circles and I'm over a decade older than she was happy.gif
It's has though not been stated whether alchemic abilities are inheritable. We have no info if Roy's parents were alchemists or Armstrong's. Hohenheim's case is so complicated there are no means explaining it. Yet, if Nina showed tendency to alchemy, I think Shou would have told her not to pursue practising her talents. He knows what alchemy does to people and does not want her daughter to step on the dangerous path of an Alchemist.

The people you grow with affect your habits and your way to look the world. Living with Shou, Nina got lots of love from her father but sadly, she didn't have any friends outside her palace. I'm pretty sure Shou was an overprotective parent, possibly because he was afraid the Military would take Nina in order to force him to do some experiment for them. Also, Shou had an ability to sugar coat things. He never told her daughter what was the exact form of his testing. Okay, it's understandable, she was only four. Shou created a kind of bubble around himself and his daughter and even ticker one over Nina.

Taken Shou's personality, I think Nina would have grown into a cheerful, social young woman but there's still one thing that can affect her character; will she go to school like any other child? If she is home-schooled then she will become more like her father: a quiet lovely wolf. If she stays inside her castle all her childhood she will never be able to practice her social skills, not counting the occasional visitors.

Shou's roles are switched in the two adaptations: In B, he is a loner and had separated himself even from his daughter. In Anime 1, we see a lot more interaction between them and that information gives a much better picture of their relationship. Who could forget the tender smile in ep 7 when Shou lifts a sleeping Nina in his arms.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.