Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Name A Character That Needed More Show Time?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
Scythoro
In my opinion Basque Gran did not play as much a part in the series as he could have. The only time you kinda see the Iron Blood Alchemist fight is during some of the flash backs. dry.gif Anyway post someone you would liked to have seen more of during the series.

<Moved the thread from FMA Anime forum to FMA Cgaracter Discussion forum. 04/18/04 ~Tombow>
Chiisana
Alphonse human version, Maes Hughes and Maria Ross!
Nekokitty
Alfonse Hiederich, Human! Al, Maes Hughes, Scar.
The random alchemist
hmmm.. well Greed could have use a bit more time. and like the others mention Maria and Hughes could have used some more time.
Nepharski
Bradley. His pretty much backstaged in the Anime, but he gets so much time to be awesome in the Manga.
Alchemical
Bradley and Maes needed a bit more time, I think.
yagami takaishi
sad.gif waaaaaaa! maes hughes of course! i love him! hes soooo cool! and sweet, i would love him as my dad! lol he shouldnt have dies, if you read the manga, its even more said sad.gif
Little Washu
1.) Maes Hughes
2.) Elysia Hughes
3.) Gracia Hughes
4.) Nina Tucker
5.) Scheiska
6.) Barry the chopper
7.) Psiren

Those are my choices. Hughes because we all love and miss Hughes, he was the best. Elysia didn't have much of an important role in the series, same with Gracia. Nina needed more attention, so did Scheiska. Barry could've been more like manga Barry. And we never see Psiren again so.......
Indignant Judgment
Alphonse Human, Maes, and Psiren
Scythoro
Ha, I had forgotten totally about Psiren. She definitely had potential to become a main character in the series.
Amol
I think it should have been LUST , in my eyes she deserved more than that .. !
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Needed more Izumi.
Toby-Chan
Rose didn't get nearly the amount of personal character development that she deserved. We were given more of a list of tragedies that happened to her, and then were left to guess how she dealt with them emotionally.
Ratzenheich FMA Super fan
Maes Hughes, Rose and Lust.
Kenji
Pride...
He shows up in a lot of plots but his history is still blurr...
All homunculus does have their respective history in the anime except him...
Astria
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Mar 9 2007, 08:52 AM) [snapback]515618[/snapback]
Rose didn't get nearly the amount of personal character development that she deserved. We were given more of a list of tragedies that happened to her, and then were left to guess how she dealt with them emotionally.

Agreed, and you already know my thoughts on Rose from the Winry & Rose thread.

It's an interesting question, thinking of who should have gotton more screen-time.

My initial thought is of Mustang's group. The way I see it, the 'comedy' of episode 37 (Flame Alchemist....etc) could have been replaced with something that showed them all in a more serious light. Granted, the anime didn't have the manga's need to explain the characters and their motives (we don't get much, but we get enough to work on). But still all we are left with is that Mustang's apparently an arrogant prat and his gang are clowns and morons who don't behave like soldiers.

There's a section in the manga where we see Mustang and co. working together - Farman keeping an eye on Barry the Chopper, Havoc & Hawkeye waiting for a move from the homunculi (or something like that), and the two of them keeping touch with Mustang through a radio....thing hooked up by Fury. Now, this scene wouldn't work exactly in the anime (rather different circumstances), *but* the anime could have used something similar to show how this lot work together. In comparison to the manga, I think Mustang's lot got a bad deal, and that the anime could have shown them in a better light.

As for other characters, one 'scene' I would have liked to see was Armstrong's background in the Ishbal war. It says something about his 'soft-hearted' reaction to some things when you know why he ended up leaving the battlefield. It could have fitted neatly into 'The Ishbal Massacre' (ep. 14), but I'm just being picky.

I think Bradley needed more screen-time. He's one of the most important 'baddies', yet he's almost introduced as an after-thought. Seeing more of his interaction between his job and his family would have been interesting.

Not a character, but I would have liked - from a fan POV, not necessarily something practical for the anime - to hear more about the state of Amestris. The most we know is that the State Military *appear* to be in charge of the country, and are 'A Bad Thing'.

Oh, and I was thinking this morning that for the mastermind behind the homunculi and Amestris, we didn't hear nearly enough about Dante and who she is/her plans. Like Bradley, she seemed to be added in as generic baddy no. 1. Which, considering what Bones managed otherwise, came off as a little cheap.
Scythoro
QUOTE(Kenji @ Mar 9 2007, 04:56 AM) [snapback]515631[/snapback]
Pride...
He shows up in a lot of plots but his history is still blurr...
All homunculus does have their respective history in the anime except him...

Agreed; however, there is relatively no story from what I remember to Gluttony. At least Pride has a purpose.
And now that I think about it Frank Archer 2.0 could have had more action than he was given. At first he seemed invincible, and then that changed very soon afterwards.
Triss Hawkeye
Hmm...I wanted Barry a bit more - like he was in the manga. [spoiler]And in love with Riza!! XD[/spoiler] Also Rose and Mustang and his sbordinates like Astria pointed out.
Elric13
I really think Greed needed more time in the Anime. He was introduced and then gone in such a short amount of time.
Fushi
How about everyone besides Ed in the movie? >.>

But back to the series...

Eh, I would've liked to see more of Hughes, it just keeps on feeling to me that for such an awesome character, they could've showed a bit more of him before killing him off. Or maybe that's just me pining for more Hughes-y. DD:

Pride too, like others have mentioned. Also I feel Paninya could've been around a bit more. =)
Triss Hawkeye
Well, I'm not that concerned with Hughes. He was there for half the series and got a flashback or two as well...but they could have gone into his real character a bit more. Most of the time we only saw his uber-cheerful walking photo album personality - but we should see more of the more serious and cynical side of him too.
Astria
I think the problem with the anime when it came to screen-time for certain characters, is that the story quickly ended up about two v. specific storylines; the Elrics, through Ed's point of view and character, and the military side, through Mustang's. That way of doing things just cut down the amount of information and perspective we got on other people; Al comes across as submissive to Ed because for the most part they are together. Mustang's motivations come across as guilt and uber-angst, not his genuine desire to do good for the country as a whole.

The anime doesn't go too far in showing how these characters are affected by those around them, and in some cases makes those people out to be surplus to requirements, all for the sake of foregrounding the two main characters (Edand Roy, in this case). That's definitely one thing I don't like about the anime adaptation, and one which isn't excusable through series length or lack of manga info.

I don't mean to sound as though I'm expecting too much of a shounen, action-y series, but it was just something that struck me about the plot.
Claudius
I think a real MaesxGracia scene was one focus that both anime and manga lacked. Sadly, the only moment we get showing Hughes' great love for his wife is Envy's cruel impersonation in episode 25. When I first saw that scene, as deeply affected/traumatized as I was (and still am), there is still a part of me who thought the impersonation of Gracia a bit misleading. Considering most of Hughes' family scenes center on his daughter, it might have fit better if Envy took Elysia's appearance instead (I guess one can argue that AnimeEnvy had no faith in fatherly love, and seriously thought taking Elysia's form wouldn't have worked).
Considering that Bones gave Anime Hughes more screentime than his manga counterpart (and let's face it; it's FMA the anime that gave the character his popularity), they should've given Gracia more attention as well. Give the two at least one serious, romantic Elysia-less scene to show Hughes' great love for his wife, or maybe a big series of flashbacks like Hohenheim had of Trisha when confronting Sloth. This would given more poignancy to Hughes' fate.

In Conqueror of Shamballa, [spoiler] we the MaesxGracia scenes the manga and anime needed. Here we see Hughes' serious love for Gracia in three scenes: (1) His flustered reaction when Edward persuades him to confess his feelings for her, (2) His grim expression dissolving when Gracia defies him, and (3) That memorable sequence of Hughes hiding in an alley from Gracia, then summoning enough nerve to face her with his feelings.[/spoiler]

Speaking of CoS, [spoiler] I guess I can agree that with the exceptions of the Brothers Elric, Al H., Noah, Wrath, and Nazi Hughes, the rest of the cast were wasted. Roy Mustang especially so. Although- I'm in the minority here- I understand his depressed status at the beginning of the movie, Roy seems to progress from A (depressed state) to C (saving the day) without a sign of B (why does he return to Central?) or D (does he survive crashing?) [/spoiler]

Claudius
Xurma
Tringham brothers
Astria
I love the idea Claudius suggested of a Gracia/Hughes scene in the anime. It is an interesting point, especially since considering we barely see the two together. Therefore, I think the scene with Envy's transformation almost lacks a certain emotional impact. It's painful because we know the fact that this 'woman' appears to be Hughes' wife, but it would have been even more so if we'd seen something of their relationship. It is one part about Arakawa killing off Hughes which didn't work as well as it could have (and the manga has even fewer scenes with him).

QUOTE(Claudius @ Mar 11 2007, 12:16 AM) [snapback]516289[/snapback]
Speaking of CoS, [spoiler] I guess I can agree that with the exceptions of the Brothers Elric, Al H., Noah, Wrath, and Nazi Hughes, the rest of the cast were wasted. Roy Mustang especially so. Although- I'm in the minority here- I understand his depressed status at the beginning of the movie, Roy seems to progress from A (depressed state) to C (saving the day) without a sign of B (why does he return to Central?) or D (does he survive crashing?) [/spoiler]

Claudius

Word on that. The thing which got me about CoS was that they really were trying to do too much, and ended up having to focus on certain points or people....and then not doing that very well. [spoiler]Even the characters who weren't quite wasted, ended up in almost cameo roles; not explained, not expanded at all. And a lot of it, with Al's entrance in Lior, and Roy's part in the battle in Central, was frankly just empty fanservice - entertaining, but a waste of space.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I agree with you about Mustang. On the one hand, I was glad to see him at all, but was disappointed at how the movie showed him. The end of the anime left us with the possibility that something, somehow, might work out for him, but the film shoved in random angst with no explanation. He gets a raw deal, because we're not given even a hint about why, after all that he had done, he simply gave up. If anything, his place in the movie (depressed at the beginning) contradicts what the anime revealed of his character - if he sees he's made a mistake, running away and moping (which is the way it came across for me) just isn't his style. Saying he missed out a stage between 'depressed' and 'saving the day' is a good way of putting it.[/spoiler]

Some might say that wanting more of certain characters within the space of the film is just 'fan talk' and not worth considering. But I think the film would have been a lot better if the writers had chosen a different scenario, and had paid attention more attention to the characters - and then the action side of things - rather than trying to factor in Nazi Germany and doing so quite poorly.
Claudius
QUOTE(Astria @ Mar 11 2007, 04:58 AM) [snapback]516530[/snapback]
[spoiler]I agree with you about Mustang. On the one hand, I was glad to see him at all, but was disappointed at how the movie showed him. The end of the anime left us with the possibility that something, somehow, might work out for him, but the film shoved in random angst with no explanation. He gets a raw deal, because we're not given even a hint about why, after all that he had done, he simply gave up. If anything, his place in the movie (depressed at the beginning) contradicts what the anime revealed of his character - if he sees he's made a mistake, running away and moping (which is the way it came across for me) just isn't his style. Saying he missed out a stage between 'depressed' and 'saving the day' is a good way of putting it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yeah, the last time he made a mistake, he almost killed himself.
As I said before, unlike most of this forum, I actually can understand why Roy went emo. Although no mention is stated, there is a lot of evidence to make conclusions. Roy is still haunted by Hughes' death. That problem has been expanded by: 1) A decision to actually let go with the stoic facade and actually mourn the guy during the recovery stage, and 2) The recent realization that he sent Hughes to a Homunculus death trap. The killing of Bradley is also a sore spot because Roy allowed himself to be moved by petty emotions of revenge. So much for the great man Hughes wanted Roy to be! A man like that has no right to be a Fuhrer (or an Alchemist). One can also consider that Roy thinks he's some 'death magnet' considering what happened to Hughes and Salim. Thus his life is a wreck with a lot of demons to live with. True, Roy had some happy moments at the end of the series. It can happen. But he backslid. That also can happen. [/spoiler]

Sorry if I'm sounding too OT. It's just something I wanted off my chest.

Some might say that wanting more of certain characters within the space of the film is just 'fan talk' and not worth considering. But I think the film would have been a lot better if the writers had chosen a different scenario, and had paid attention more attention to the characters - and then the action side of things - rather than trying to factor in Nazi Germany and doing so quite poorly.

Well, considering there is a lot of Nazi metaphors in the series (Fuhrer, dictatorship, genocide, inhuman experiments), factoring in Nazi Germany was inevitable. Perhaps it could have been done better, but I don't think including that point was the problem.

Claudius
Fullmetal007
They so need to put Ling Yao into the TV series.He would be so cool in it.
Astria
QUOTE(Claudius @ Mar 11 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]516550[/snapback]
[spoiler]Yeah, the last time he made a mistake, he almost killed himself.
As I said before, unlike most of this forum, I actually can understand why Roy went emo. Although no mention is stated, there is a lot of evidence to make conclusions. Roy is still haunted by Hughes' death. That problem has been expanded by: 1) A decision to actually let go with the stoic facade and actually mourn the guy during the recovery stage, and 2) The recent realization that he sent Hughes to a Homunculus death trap. The killing of Bradley is also a sore spot because Roy allowed himself to be moved by petty emotions of revenge. So much for the great man Hughes wanted Roy to be! A man like that has no right to be a Fuhrer (or an Alchemist). One can also consider that Roy thinks he's some 'death magnet' considering what happened to Hughes and Salim. Thus his life is a wreck with a lot of demons to live with. True, Roy had some happy moments at the end of the series. It can happen. But he backslid. That also can happen. [/spoiler]

Sorry if I'm sounding too OT. It's just something I wanted off my chest.

.....You know, I'd never thought about it in quite those terms, and it does make sense in that way. There is enough information to come to that conclusion. Fair point.
Densetsu_kid
To me it is Rose, perhaps I am the only one who thinks so but she seemed like a pretty interesting character.
Twilightz
Here are some characters that in my opinion needed more show time:
Greed and his gang ( I think that they are interesting)
Mustang and his subordinates ( I like them)
Psiren ( Psiren was cool)
Maes Hughes
Barry ( I don't know why)
Archer ( I don't like him very much, but I wish that he had played a bigger role)
Kimbley ( He's cool too)
Twilight Warrior Alchemist
I though Maria Ross should have, I mean in the manga
she has a little more time and more story than just
being Ed and Al's bodyguard. After all, I thought
her to be like a mothering guardian to them.
fantacy alchamist
maes houghes !!!!
maes houghes ( I like the funny charicters)!!!
these would be my first choice but also
they could have shown more of hoenhime of light and pride (Bradly) all of the humunculi and roys and his men biggrin.gif
shugrrl
mustang and hawkeye
Amalthea
Izumi, Bradley, Greed, and Envy*

*I'm predictable. I know he showed up a couple of times, but his scenes were always so short.
Zachelle
I think Greed deserves more show time^_^
Also Hughes, Havoc and Psiren -we only see her in one episode- tongue.gif
Kisara
Scar - I love his story and him. tongue.gif

Psiren should have at least appeared in another episode.

The Tringam brothers.

Maybe Sloth. Cause she's got A LOT to do with the main storyline.

And, of course, Hughes.
Colette
Sloth for sure, she had so much potential but zero air time to pull it off.

Greed and Izumi too because they're sexy.
Triple Soul
Hohenheim and Sloth.

I think those two could have had interesting encounters...encounters that lasted more than once scene.
Envy II
Definitley Hughes. He's an awesome character.
Sword Alchemist
Sgt. Denny Bloch and Lt. Maria Ross needed a lot more show time. We all know Denny was in love with Maria but it would've been cool to see if Maria loved him too.

MINOR MOVIE SPOILERS AHEAD

Denny and Maria really got the shaft in the movie. I really think they should've been the ones to accompany Winry in CoS instead of Sheska.

Demon x
Greed didn't get his fair share of show time, although those minutes were worth it at least.
Luxuria-Cat
I agree with the people who said Roze, she was a good character but it felt like the story presented what happened to her more than what she was actually like.
Also, I'd like to have seen more of Dr. Knox in the manga. He was interesting and I felt he could have played a larger role. Father as well, he was shown a lot but I'd like to have seen more of his thoughts and personality since so much of his appearance was just his plots and whatnot.
Definitely Sloth in the anime, she was a really complex character but that wasn't really shown a lot since she was outwardly unemotional, compared to the conflict she felt inside.
rosieechan
Hughes - for obvious reasons.
Rose - more than just the character, I'm really curious about Liore, I want to know more about the city.
Father - oh, this! Father is the main villian, yeah, yeah, but we never exactly got to see more of his personality...
All of the Xing characters - yeah, they got a lot of screentime, I know. But I'm interested in their country as well...I was kind of disappointed that we never exactly got to see Xing.
Luxuria-Cat
Rosiee, we always seem to agree on stuff XD
I'd loved to have seen more of Liore itself as well, more of how the people reacted to the turmoil and whatnot, especially after Envy!Cornello was saying "the false devil came" (is that even a spoiler if it's the second episode or something) or whatever...and the rebels in the first anime. Xing would have been cool, especially seeing the Emperor and May's clan...and Maria's life there too.
RadicalDreamer
Hughes. That's a given I guess (I would have loved to know Gracia better also... and how her relationship with Hughes developed *what ? They're cute.*).

QUOTE (rosieechan @ Dec 19 2010, 02:23 PM) *
I was kind of disappointed that we never exactly got to see Xing.

I agree so much. I was waiting for Ed and Al to go there... it never came. Oh well.

Also, I would have liked to see Mustang as the main character (hey, I love the Full Metal Alchemist... but the Flame Alchemist is awesome too). But the story wouldn't have been the same without the focus on the brothers' bond and quest.

Maybe I also would have liked Lust to stay a bit longer... I like the way she is in the manga, way better than in the first anime. But she's the first homunculus to get fried and that's not fair tongue.gif .
And RanFan to be less transparent.
rosieechan
QUOTE (RadicalDreamer @ Dec 20 2010, 01:16 AM) *
Maybe I also would have liked Lust to stay a bit longer... I like the way she is in the manga, way better than in the first anime. But she's the first homunculus to get fried and that's not fair tongue.gif .

Wow! you're the first I've met!

And RanFan to be less transparent.

I agree. RanFan is a great character, honestly, but she needs a bit more...uh, character development and personality other than just her being loyal to her master.
Fullmetal666
Lyra. I'd like to know more about why she wanted to be a state alchemist.

Dante, and Hohenheim. They have been alive so long, I'd like to know more about there past together.
LoMXD
I think that Rebecca needed more screen time. She was really cool but we only get to learn her name and that she's a friend of Riza
xUltimate_Shieldx
QUOTE (Legolas of Mirkwood @ Dec 28 2010, 07:02 PM) *
I think that Rebecca needed more screen time. She was really cool but we only get to learn her name and that she's a friend of Riza

I agree! I always love when people have relationships that are friendship based, and the fact that Riza had a friend that was so unlike her (or just a friend in general) was very intriguing! I wish they showed more of her; Rebecca seemed to be a very comical and interesting character happy.gif
Dark-Winds
QUOTE (xUltimate_Shieldx @ Jan 18 2011, 04:52 PM) *
QUOTE (Legolas of Mirkwood @ Dec 28 2010, 07:02 PM) *

I agree! I always love when people have relationships that are friendship based, and the fact that Riza had a friend that was so unlike her (or just a friend in general) was very intriguing! I wish they showed more of her; Rebecca seemed to be a very comical and interesting character happy.gif

I also agree because I'm lame like that o____o

I think that Rebecca was super cool and awesome. She could have been a good character for comic relief. And I would have been really interested to learn more about her relationship with Riza. Because it's sort of like "Why is someone so stiff like Riza best friends with someone as crazy as Rebecca?" >.>

Yes, I would have liked to see more of her as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.