Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vol.16 (chapters 62, 63, 64, 65) Out In Japan March 22, 2007
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Sensenic
Vol. 16 covers chapters 62, 63, 64, & 65, and out in Japan on March 22, 2007

(Lazily copying the LJ entry... sleep.gif)

Volume 16 cover out:

Uh... dunno. After all those exciting covers, this one looks like a step back to the origins. Which is not a bad thing, I mean, the story does kinda restart too, what with a new trip, a new saga, new objectives for the main characters, blah, blah, blah.... Specifically reminds me very much of volume 2's cover...
I think this reinforces my theory that Ishval FB marked the halfway of the story, just after the bigass vol. 13 and 14 climax (it is usual in manganime to do so halfway through the story... See Monster, Naruto pre/post timeskip, Trigun anime, etc.).

So? Whaddaya think?
Nepharski
I think everything I already thought back at LiveJournal. Simplistic but tasteful. I like it.
Triple Soul
^ My sentiments exactly.

Any idea on who the picture on the spine may be of? For me, the most logical one would be Olivia/Olivier, but who knows.
Chiisana
Wow! Nice cover O_O Ed in winter coat!! xD Damn sexy! <3
Jedi28
Anyone notice that Ed has gone back to wearing the zipped coat he wore when he was 12? You can see it in Chapter 24: FullMetal Alchemist, by the time he gets to Liore he's already got the jacket with the clip. I can't remember when he switched back to the zipper but it was relatively recent. Sorry if it's been pointed out before! smile.gif
Reta McClain
I don't think it's the same jacket, Jedi28. Ed must have grown over the years and there is some odd ummm... holes(?) in the collar.

This cover is cool. It's easy to understand and it really doesn't spoil anything. (Well, apart from the fact that Ed has a cool furry collared version of his coat and that they are somewhere cold.)

Whee, I love blue^^
Edamame
I have to say that this cover is rather simplistic in comparison to the more detailed work featured on the latter volumes. I have to admit that I was expecting something a little more elaborate, but it is a tasteful cover none the less. I do like Edward's pose, although there is something odd about Alphonse that I can't seem to place.
Jedi28
Ah, you're right Reta. I hadn't noticed those before. I went and looked at the latest chapter and it looks like the left side of the collar actually has tiny hooks that would go into the holes on the right side so it would be double clasps then. Cool, I thought it was the same jacket but it's actually a third style that we haven't seen yet. smile.gif

I actually really like Ed on this cover, nearly as much as I like him on the Cover of Volume 13 I believe (with the hood up and all). I'm not so sure about Al, his pose looks a bit unnatural and you really can't see his mouth. In all though, I pretty much like ANY cover with Ed and Al on it or Mustang so I'm happy. smile.gif
Astria
Simple but quite neat. It is very similar to earlier covers, and I do prefer the ones that showed something other than 'Ed-in-a-fighting-pose' (vol 12 being my favourite so far because, well, it's cool). But, there's something nice about this, and I like how it sort of suggests a new beginning for the series.
Nekokitty
Awesome cover. I like the action poses.
Though I really like the covers for volume 13 and 12 the best so far.
Tombow
@Edamame - Al does look different.

Here is Ed and Al on Vol 1 cover:
Click to view attachment
The jaw piece is gone?? And, maybe plume is shortened also (hard to tell from this, tho)??

As for the cover, I was expecting something different, but it's nice.
I like the cold mountain ranges in the back ground. smile.gif
Triss Hawkeye
It's because his head is turned and that bit that goes round hisneck area is obscuring his face. I think.
Nepharski
Because of the angel, Al looks like he suffers from under-bite. That's what odd about it.

Olivia is an obvious candidate. Certainly more than the other Briggs personnelle. Sloth pretty much has no chance. Maybe Raven.
CowAlchemist
^^ I like the cover. It's simple yet effective.

Also, I'm very amused at how many shirt/cloak changes Ed seems to make.
Jedi28
I like the collar design that I have now noticed on his new shirt. I also liked the white long sleeve shirt he briefly wore earlier in the Manga. It's funny that he managed to find a red parka and put THE symbol on it to make it a cold weather copy of his standard red coat. Shows that he hasn't gotten tired of his red coat even after wearing it for nearly four years. I'd still like to know what that symbol means though, we know what it means in the Anime but what about the Manga? I noticed that on the cover of Volume 7 the same thing happens with part of Al's face being covered by the piece of armor on his shoulder, he also appears to be in a similiar pose.
Naivete
It's a nice cover ^^- the colours really compliment each other and I don't have a problem with Ed's pose (Al looks kinda awkward though blink.gif)

I still prefer volume 10's cover though happy.gif
Amalthea
Wow, cool design. Al's... "mouth" is different. huh.gif

I wish Arakawa would put the homunculi on the cover more often. They've only been on volume 4, if memory serves me correct. And I think only Wrath has had a spot on the spine before.
Nepharski
Volume 4, volume 7, and volume 14 (and possibly 12).

That, or Envy secretly appears in all of them.
jefe
the spine is where they show the people how died recently, with the wings as if they were going to heaven?
Sensenic
QUOTE(jefe @ Mar 5 2007, 07:29 AM) [snapback]513538[/snapback]
the spine is where they show the people how died recently, with the wings as if they were going to heaven?

That's the inner spine. In the outer one there's a different character's portrait each time.

BTW: No one died in 16 again, no? Oh, maybe the chimera Scar used to fake Marcoh's death... happy.gifU
AA battery
i think it's gonna be Olivier as well, on the outer spine.

Al's mouth does look weird at first glance, but it is indeed drawn correctly... it's the angle that made it look weird.
Nepharski
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Mar 5 2007, 12:34 AM) [snapback]513561[/snapback]
QUOTE(jefe @ Mar 5 2007, 07:29 AM) [snapback]513538[/snapback]

That's the inner spine. In the outer one there's a different character's portrait each time.

BTW: No one died in 16 again, no? Oh, maybe the chimera Scar used to fake Marcoh's death... happy.gifU

Well, they had the fish and rabbits for volume 6.
Sannom
Well, they had the fish and rabbits for volume 6.

But they forgot the snake, poor reptilian... laugh.gif
Nepharski
Nobody cares about snakes.
AA battery
Ya, that's why snakes on the (a?) plane sucks.

Random reference:
Vitor 3000
Maybe they show the deads in the Ishbalian war.
Sensenic
Volume 16 material dump!!

VOLUME 16
- HQ cover image
- Lan Fan on the spine ( *o*)
- Arakawa-sensei's message (LOL, she's quite the otaku. Moeee! XD)
- Inner front cover
- Inner back cover - Riza-sensei is back!
- ZOMG bishie!Alphonse - Mei is to blame for this
- Knox sketch reversed
- Omake: Hagaren Plastic Surgery Clinic!
- 4-koma #1: genie!Alphonse returns
- 4-koma #2: ZOMG PLOT TWISTS!! (This one's just great! XDDDD)
- 4-koma #3 + extra: Alphonse wants his hair back

NOTE: Everything scanned and uploaded by hamsterfactor from Roy-mustang.net.
The comments are also hers except for the ones between parenthesis (however you write that word). I'm lazy. sleep.gif
Credit is given... etc.

EDIT: Simply amazing. I think this is one of the best rounded up volumes ever, omake-wise. IMHO.
I may try to translate some if noone else does, later. Editing them, now that's a whole other story sleep.gif
Tombow
Third time tonight... thank you, Sensenic!! happy.gif

I agree!! Awesome Omake!!
Hagaren Plastic Surgery Clinic! and #2: ZOMG PLOT TWISTS!! are totally hilarious!! laugh.gif
kuzon234ray
If only I knew how to speak in different languages than just english...
well! The drawings are cool!!!
Sensenic
Also noteworthy: According to csakuras, GreedLing's missing ouroboros tattoo is back. That means, no "tattoo disappearing when Ling takes control over body" ,blah blah... for you. Just an inking error, like Comanche's hands and Mustang's glove on the previous volume.
Nekokitty
Thanks for sharing these, Sensenic!
Hurrah for Ranfan finally being on the spine!
I can't wait to get my own copy now. x)
paca
Thanks for sharing the omakes! They are great! (*Wishing to be able to read them* But anyways they are easy to understand -some of them- without text)

Summarys (it can be a kind of "translation")
Nepharski
Best omakes ever.

"As you can see, I'm actually General Grummerman."
"And as you can see, I'm actually Lt. Riza Hawkeye"
*Gasp.*
"And as you can see, I'm actually still alive."
*GASP!*
"Daddy! I have a new boyfriend!"
*RARGGH!*
AA battery
QUOTE (Sensenic @ Mar 27 2007, 01:38 AM) *
Volume 16 material dump!!

VOLUME 16
- HQ cover image
- Lan Fan on the spine ( *o*)
- Arakawa-sensei's message (LOL, she's quite the otaku. Moeee! XD)
- Inner front cover
- Inner back cover - Riza-sensei is back!
- ZOMG bishie!Alphonse - Mei is to blame for this
- Knox sketch reversed
- Omake: Hagaren Plastic Surgery Clinic!
- 4-koma #1: genie!Alphonse returns
- 4-koma #2: ZOMG PLOT TWISTS!! (This one's just great! XDDDD)
- 4-koma #3 + extra: Alphonse wants his hair back

NOTE: Everything scanned and uploaded by hamsterfactor from Roy-mustang.net.
The comments are also hers except for the ones between parenthesis (however you write that word). I'm lazy. sleep.gif
Credit is given... etc.

EDIT: Simply amazing. I think this is one of the best rounded up volumes ever, omake-wise. IMHO.
I may try to translate some if noone else does, later. Editing them, now that's a whole other story sleep.gif

Saw them @ LJ already, but still, awesome-ness! Scar + Mei's plastic surgury was totally awesome.
Shiho-Chan
Hehe. 8D I love those 4komas. happy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.