Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 68 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Nepharski
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 68 here. smile.gif

For info on the "Reading Reference", go to page 10.

======================

Spoiler party starts on page 3~~

"As you can clearly see from the charts, sir, the aerial shape of our country is actually a giant...oh...I see."

In the wake of Sloth's refusal to ask for directions, Edward and Alphonse find themselves questioning the extent to which General Armstrong's S&M fantasies control her actions, and their current scenario still sadly better off than in the bulk of most fan fiction. Meanwhile, Miles and Kimbley sit down to a chat about ethnic differences, and General Raven's world tour brings Bradley's pediatrician for a house call. Back at the Batcave, the Elric brothers explain the details of the first 15 volumes of Hagane no Renkinjutsushi to General Armstrong (not an avid subscriber I take it), and Falman comes to the chilling conclusion that Amestris is, in fact, a giant jigsaw puzzle! Kimbley decides to drop in for the open house, Oliva tries her hand at dating sims, and the Elric Brothers and Buccaneer quickly learn that there's not much worth listening to on late night radio. Finally, we end with Marcoh and Mei each going into their respective Alchemic prowess descending from Xerxes, ("Alchemy was born in the kitchen." Pfft, right), and Hohenheim is investing into some new physical therapy.

<Last edited by Michiyo- on Sept. 18, 2011>
CSakuraS
Great topic starter as always. XDD
Tombow
Nepharski is back with another awesome introduction!! biggrin.gif
If FMA weren't such an exciting manga, I would say, better than the chapter itself!!! XDDD
joanneblessing
blink.gif but... why is the rum sake random alcoholic beverage plot gone?

(sorry. I just love to play with the strike tags.)

You had me going there at first tongue.gif
Reta McClain
Oh god... That's so... random... and funny xD

"Back at the Batcave..." oh dear...

LOL

I should probably quote the whole thing and worship you, Nepharski but that would be stupid biggrin.gif

I want more Hoho-papa dry.gif Two pages isn't enough after about a year of waiting.

Tho, I don't think Arakawa-sensei will fulfill my wish... *sigh*
kaizenyorii
maybe it was born in a kitchen in xerxes
Chiyo
Late night radio is always so poor, sad the Elrics find out so late
CowAlchemist
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Feb 3 2007, 11:51 PM) [snapback]500725[/snapback]
and Hohenheim is investing into some new physical therapy.

... I love you for that. XD

Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.

HOHENHEIM IS THE NEW LUST.
... kay, I don't see that happening in any way, shape, or form ever...
But it would make for an interesting chapter.
*is just kidding and doesn't at all mean that seriously; knows Lust is dead and dead for good*
Reta McClain
QUOTE(CowAlchemist @ Feb 4 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]500804[/snapback]
Tho, I don't think Arakawa-sensei will fulfill my wish... *sigh*

I think he's gonna have an ENORMOUS part in the upcoming Chapter(s). I don't think the whole "poking self with fingers and spewing all over ground" thing will be unnoticed.

Yeah, I know that we'll probably have lots of Hoho-papa very soon, but I said I don't think we'll have too much about him in the next chapter^^

Well, in reality I try to act as the worst possible thing will happen next. Because if I act this way I:
1. Will be very happy if the worst doesn't happen.
2. Won't be disappointed if I hoped that the good thing'd happen and it's the worst one instead.

That is what I'm trying to do. Be sure that Hoho doesn't appear and then I'll be enormously happy when he actually does tongue.gif
Nepharski
QUOTE(CowAlchemist @ Feb 4 2007, 04:19 AM) [snapback]500804[/snapback]
Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
... kay, I don't see that happening...
-edit-
Sorry guys, but I had to do it:
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8341/lusthohopapayh9.png

*Sepuku.*
CowAlchemist
-can't wait for the new chapter-
Does it mean FMA is ending soon, though? Since all this information has been given?
Nepharski
QUOTE(CowAlchemist @ Feb 4 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]500995[/snapback]
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Feb 4 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]500972[/snapback]
QUOTE(CowAlchemist @ Feb 4 2007, 04:19 AM) [snapback]500804[/snapback]
... kay, I don't see that happening...
-edit-
Sorry guys, but I had to do it:
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8341/lusthohopapayh9.png

*Sepuku.*

Huh? ^^; Sorry.

Nah, I'm fine.

Five days till Chapter 68.
Triple Soul

*dead*
oneangredwarf
bwahahah i cant wait for the next chapter.....CSakuraS i love your avatar its freakin' hilarious, i hope the next chapter comes out for my birthday~
-liz
Wyrd_Raven
It should be interesting to see what's up and to see if the current theory is going to be proven or altered.
Edamame
Nepharski, I always look forward to your chapter introductions.

Cow Alchemist: The thought of Hoho papa as the new Lust made me die a little inside.

In short, I am seriously looking forward to this chapter. I am dying to know what in the world Hohenheim was doing in chapter sixty-seven. Hopefully, this chapter might give us a glimpse of what is happening back at Central.
Chiyo
Its unfair to leave us on such a cliffhanger as this one...unfair I tells ya!
Kirara
Nepharski..your signature! Can I just say you are my new hero laugh.gif

And amusing chapter starter as always smile.gif

I can't wait for the chapter to come out (going through serious withdrawal)
The random alchemist
darn I wanted to make this thread :<

Oh well, maybe next time *plots chapter 69 mhahaha*

anyway, I'm like horribly excited about another chapter. I've come to the conclusion that the manga pwns the anime so bad xP so I must see how it all goes down.

anyway, I predict they'll probably not tell us what happen with Hohenhein this chapter just to piss us off x.o

However I think we'll learn maybe a bit more about Father devious plan to make Amestrie one big alchemy funhouse. And possibly, if we all are good we might get to see Greed!Ling : D Lets hope!

PS: I wanna see Riza for some reason :'( may she appear soon
Nil-chan
Nah, sorry, The Random Alchemist, but it wouldn't be the same without Nepharski doing it. wink.gif And you're robably right. We won't find out about Hoho for about, hmm, say, 5 more chapters?

What I really want to see is what Olivier does. I'm pretty sure Arakawa isn't going to make her a homunculus zomfgwtf, lyk, its teh new Lust!!two!1?, but I'm not sure she's completely trustworthy yet. She strikes me as the kind of person who's on their own side, woking for their own benefit zomfg, she's stealin greedz stone and iz teh new greed!!1%2!
CowAlchemist

I wonder if that tattoo on her back will be mentioned again....
Kirara
I think people who are in a chapter 68 thread better expect to see spoilers from earlier chapters. smile.gif
Nepharski
Question in the back: Olivier? I thought her name was Olivia.
Nil-chan
I guess it's in the way you translate it. One of my friends says Olivier, (Which I assume is pronounced Oliviay), so i just started saying it like that.
The random alchemist
QUOTE(CowAlchemist @ Feb 6 2007, 03:04 PM) [snapback]501836[/snapback]

I wonder if that [spoiler]tattoo on her back[/spoiler] will be mentioned again....

*wasn't sure if that qualified as a spoiler or not, so she put it in spoiler tags*
Does it count as one?...

though I'm no admin or mod since this is pretty much an entire spoiler thread in itself I don't think spoiler tags were necessary. But I do wonder that myself. Though me its more that Riza is one of the few good guys that I like and I miss seeing her ;3;
riza hawkeye 9

i think it's about time for her to show up T.T .. if arakawa follow the others chapters this one should contain at least a small appearance of roy ( and with luck riza ^^) ...

but i really really miss her .... so as her tatoo - i really wanna know more about it.

roy, dear , please come back XD
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(riza hawkeye 9 @ Feb 6 2007, 09:19 PM) [snapback]501966[/snapback]
i think it's about time for her to show up T.T .. if arakawa follow the others chapters this one should contain at least a small appearance of roy ( and with luck riza ^^) ...

but i really really miss her .... so as her tatoo - i really wanna know more about it.

Well, normally, I'd be aching for some glimpse of Riza (or Roy for that matter...) being the insane Royai fangirl that I am...
But now that Maj. Gen. Armstrong has totally replaced Riza as my fav. female character of the manga, I'd be really happy just to see more Briggs action. smile.gif

However... what I'm REALLY hoping for in '68 is some more Marcoh/MeiChan and info on Rentanjutsu and ScarBro's research notes.
And more Hoho-papa and his philosopher's stone...

CowAlchemist
QUOTE(LadyHawke78 @ Feb 6 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]502041[/snapback]
But now that Maj. Gen. Armstrong has totally replaced Riza as my fav. female character of the manga, I'd be really happy just to see more Briggs action. smile.gif

Haha. She is awesome. XD

(About Roy)
"Right. I don't care. That's alright. It would be nice if he'd hurry and fall from power, I would have one less rival."

(About Winry being a 'hostage')
"It's a very rational and effective method against humans like these in an emergency. I would also probably do the same thing."

*/major/ thumbs up*
(pun intended.)
Kirara
Once again Kasumicc from LJ comes through for us all and finds the chapters

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ebxwoq

2nd link just in case

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oz4kgo

This chapter is so great biggrin.gif
Tombow
Thank you Kirara!!!! Once again, you made my day!!! happy.gif
Nekokitty
Hurrah! It's already out! Thanks Kirara!
*downloads and reads*
Tombow
~ Chapter 68 Spoiler Party! Arakawa-sensei never ceases to surprise me!!! ~

Chapter 68, "Portrait of Family"!!!

This year's Hagaren "Valentine's Day moment" goes to... Hohenheim X Trisha!!!

Information-wise, not much in this chapter, but it got awesomely cute young Ed and Al, and fluffy lovely Trisha x Hohenheim family moments!! ^^

Here is a quick summary!!

The chapter starts with the snapshot moments of happy times at the Elrics with Trisha, Ed, Al and Hohenheim, leading to the day Ho-ho papa leaving the Elrics....

Trisha decides to get the family portrait, and although the visit by the photographer was unexpected to him, Ho-ho papa poses for the family photo.

Later on, Hohenheim ponders. He used to accept his immrotal body, but now he wants to grow old (and die) with Trisha and his sons.

He draws the Amestris Transmutation circle, (probably draws the conclusion as to what Father is up to... he says "that bustard!!")
He mutters to himself.. "this is the only way," and packs his bag.

Before he leaves he works on the swing for Ed and Al, ties the ropes tight again so that the swing will last for another while.

He was going to leave without seeing Ed and Al, but of course they would show up!! tongue.gif
(Baby Al had to pee and Ed took him to bathroom.) And, that's how he left Elrics.....

Back to the current Hohenheim, by the campfire at night... looking at the family pic and remembering the day he left Erlics... .

Meantime, at the North, the team that was investigating the tunnel gets slaughtered by some force. (Not much information is revealed as to what killed them yet.)

Olivier keeps on with the charade, but before she could obtain any further information from Raven the conversation was interrupted by the report of incident at the tunnel. (We see both what Armstrong is "thinking" and what she actually says. Likewise for Raven. Good scenes.)

Raven uses this incident (slaughter of solders by some unknown thing) as an excuse, and orders Armstrong to put back Sloth in the tunnel and seal the tunnel off.
(Hmmm... How will Armstrong dodge this?? We have to wait till next month to find out!!!)

Kimblee meets Ed and Al. Kimblee mistakes Al as the Fullmetal Alchemist.
(Me feel nostalgic about the old joke. biggrin.gif )

Kimblee reports on the phone to Bradley that Ed is in the North.

Bradley decides to raise the level of security a notch. .... Winry gets the phone call from "the military"... (Long time no see Garfiel-san!!)

Oh no!!!!! Dark cloud above Winry??!! Another cliffhanger!!!

(The next chapter is coming out on March 12!! And, Vol. 16 coming out on March 22 in Japan!!)
riza hawkeye 9
thank you Tombow !!!! even if i can't say much, because i'm guessing looking at the pages XD ....

but while i'm waiting for translation ^^ ...

hoho-papa in the picture made me really sad ... i didin't expect that (and i don't understand waht they are talking either XD) , but seems a very sad chapter ...all the scenes between ed and hoho made me very sad ... especially the one when he picks him up ( to take the pic ) ... maybe we will know a little bit more about trisha's secret in this chap

and OMG what's that in the tunnel ??? Pride ??? ( i doubt .. but you never know ..) or even better Alucard XDDD

i'm gonna stop know so i won't say baseless things ... after i have some ideia whats going on i'll be back ^^

and OMG 2 ... King brandley !!! *jumps* ...the action is possible central in next chapter ... anyway happy to see him (more chances to see riza \o/)
oneangredwarf
wow i really wanna read the scanlation for this, i hope it comes soon!!!
-liz
Kirara
I am dying to know what that thing was...

And oh no Winry is in danger. ohmy.gif But I squeed with delight when I saw her at the end of the chapters (and in cool goggles too).
Triple Soul
OH OF ALL THE TIMES TO NOT KNOW JAPANESEEEE...

Hohenheim cried. I wanna cry now. D:

...WTF was that thing in the tunnel? It scared me.

Winry! Long time no see!

[/bulletpoints]
The random alchemist
oh my, can't wait to read this one Oo, Winry was in need of an appearance that's for sure. And it sounds like Hoho finally got his own chapter :3
N. Havoc J.
I think that thing in the tunnel was just some gaint super cimera that was watching over Sloth from a distance, thats why it attacked when they were going further into the tunnel.
Wyrd_Raven
Pride theories rising... RISING... RISING!

But overall I like this chapter :3
Reta McClain
O.O That was my expression after I saw this. O.O

This is... WOW!

-YAY! We got more Hoho!
-I love Ed's pajamas, ya know^^ They're seriously too cute. Al is cute too, don't worry Al-fans wink.gif
-I... didn't have any clue that Hoho was crying in that family portrait! I thought his face wasn't shown b/c Ed didn't like him!
-...How can someone be in that kind of position when they fall from a tree? O_o
-That tunnel thing scared a shit out of me *shudders* It looks like Truth somewhat...
-I hate Raven even more at the moment. He is creepy.
-Kimbley meets Elrics *gigglesnort* Way to go, Kimbley. Make enemies with them.
-What on Earth Garfiel is wearing?! O.O
-Winry-chan^.^

BTW, did someone alse notice that the first Winry panel in the chapter looked somewhat familiar? Dark room, stuff on the walls and on the table, alonely lamp... And someone's back when that certain someone is doing something important.
The beginning of the chapter 20 *wink wink*

[offtopic] The first Volume of FMA will be published today in Finnish! What should I do with it? [/offtopic]
Nepharski
Meantime, back to the future (I mean current Hagaren story) and at the North, the team that was investigating the tunnel gets slaughtered by some force.
(Not much information is revealed as to what killed them yet.)

Grues are rather irritable this time of year.

Excellent. Can't wait to read it.
Guys, I know you're sick of crack Pride theories, but that horrible... *thing* the soldiers met in Sloth's tunnel is most likely Pride.

So for those of you who haven't downloaded the chapter, the scouts exploring Sloth's giant tunnel/transmutation circle encounter a giant shadow with handed tendrils resembling those from the doors, and giant, deformed, cat-slitted eyes. And what's more, it's a living shadow: the tendrils are actually drawn as shadows on the rocks. So whatever it is, it's *NOT* a chimera.

The creature is almost unmistakably Pride. First, Pride hides himself in the shadows. This creature *is* a shadow. Next, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, the creature has the slitted eyes of a homonculus. Eyes, as I remarked months ago, are the *only* consistent visual difference between people and homonculi. All six homonculi have inhuman eyes, and the eldest three we've seen, Lust, Envy and Greed, all have slitted cat eyes. Pride is the oldest homonculus and therefore should have these slitted eyes. In that vein, the creature demonstrates powers resembling Lust's, lashing out with tendrils of shadow.

Finally, the creature demonstrates intelligence by *not* pursuing the final scout outside the hole. In fact, it seems to stop just outside the sight range of the soldiers. And it would have to be intelligent enough to avoid attacking Sloth. As wild as the idea seems, I'm thoroughly convinced this creature is Pride in his "monster" form.

Now for some wild speculation. smile.gif I've always wondered why Pride hid his face. After all, he didn't seem to be deformed, and probably isn't a character we've seen. If he's a being of shadows, then perhaps he's *always* restricted to the shadows and can't function in the same capacity as the other homonculi. Furthermore, perhaps since he's a "shadow", he can be in more than one place at once, or at least *observe* more than one place at once. It would certainly explain the respect the other homonculi show for Pride.
Sensenic
What the....?! blink.gif

So early? Impressive! Thx a lot Kirara!
Tombow
QUOTE(Quote @ Feb 9 2007, 04:03 AM) [snapback]502798[/snapback]
Guys, I know you're sick of ....

@Quote - I'm going to move your post to Chapter 68 Spoiler Party thread where actual content of Chapter 68 are being discussed. biggrin.gif

ETA : I moved your post. smile.gif
Sensenic
Another vote for Shadow!Pride here ( ^o^)/

Immmpressive. But the best was Hohenheim indeed. I remember now I kept wondering why she kept hiding Hoho's face on that photo even after we had met him... Well, guess we know now. How touching ;_;
And WTF does Hoho mean with "ever since I turned/got/whatever into this body" or "that's why I turned into this body" (or similar)? Aaarrgh, the suspense! What is he?! Damn!

And Tombow, those last panels of Hoho looking at the pic are from now, no more FB. You can tell because the space between panels is white, whereas in all flashbacks is black. happy.gif

Whatever he's doing, seems he's getting close to finish it. Took him damn long enough.

Arrrr! A chapter that seemed so explicative, what with the FB and all, and it added many more questions! I want Moar!
Nepharski
Alright, now that I've downloaded and browsed 68, some thoughts.

-The top corner of the infamous family photo is finally revealed. I enjoyed Hohenheim's flashback, seeing him acting the father and such. I'm really waiting for the translation on this part.
-Now that I have seen the awesomeness that is a non-descript Cheshire thing in a cave, I now demand that one day some FullMetal Alchemist Manga OVAs are made so I can see that scene animated. After the (personal) lull of the past few chapters, I'm finally impatient for new chapters again.
-I really should wonder what Raven and Armstrong are chatting about here. Also, why is Raven pulling such a convincing Pierrot le Fou impression later on?
-"Dude! I got an arm!"
-Kimbley evokes nostalgia. I'm just as surprised as you are. Also just as amused.
-Bradley has the widest ranging wardrobe of any character in the series. Seriously.
Tombow
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Feb 9 2007, 04:47 AM) [snapback]502803[/snapback]
And Tombow, those last panels of Hoho looking at the pic are from now, no more FB. You can tell because the space between panels is white, whereas in all flashbacks is black. happy.gif

Oh!! That's right!! Thank you for pointing that out!! (You're always so helpful!! ^^) happy.gif
*Goes to edit the first post*
Chiyo
Chi has bad feeling in pit of stomach for Winry....but nice to see some childhood flashbacks of the Elrics to break up the North story for a while. Can't wait for the translation....and the next freaking chapter!
Animeoldtimer
Just a few simple thoughts:

*Good thinking ahead, Winry! A book on alloys and one on carbon fiber (my hubby works with that he he!)-she seems to be developing new automail for Ed.

*Garfiel keeps getting weirder and weirder. lol!

*That thing in the tunnel was freaky. I believe it was Pride too.
Wyrd_Raven
Garfiel is wearing beauty mud to keep his face wrinkle free. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.