Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Haibane Renmei
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Triss Hawkeye
Haibane Renmei (灰羽連盟 lit. Ash Feather Federation, translated by the author as Charcoal Feather Federation?) is a 13-episode anime series based on the work of Yo....oshi ABe. It began as an original dōjinshi comic series, The Haibanes of Old Home (オールドホームの灰羽達 Ōrudo-hōmu no Haibane-tachi?), but this was quickly superseded by the anime and was never completed. Original run 9 October 2002 – 18 December 2002. Directed by Tomokazu Tokoro.
(Source - Wiki)

Plot Summary: A dream of falling from the sky...and then birth. Rakka is born from a large cocoon into the Old Home, greeted by a group of females with small wings on their backs and shining halos above their heads. Soon Rakka’s own wings grow, a halo is placed on her head and she is told that she must work in the nearby town of Grie. She soon realizes that the town and the entire world they live in are confined behind the Wall, a tall, impenetrable wall that none except the mysterious Toga are allowed to exit.
Rakka, a newly born Haibane (Angel) awakens into an unfamiliar world with only a strange dream of falling from the sky as her only memory. Alone and scared of who and what she is, she is cared for by fellow Haibane as they try and search for the meaning of their existence as well as what lies beyond their town's imprisoning walls.

Genres: drama, fantasy, mystery, psychological, supernatural
Themes: angel
Episodes: 13
Age Rating: PG
(Source - ANN)

-------

I was shocked that there wasn't a topic in the whole anime section on Haibane Renmei (otherwise known as Charcoal Feathers or something similar).

I first learned of it from the webcomic Megatokyo. There was an omake called 'Circuitry' based partly off this anime, so I decided to investigate. I have to say it is the most beautiful anime I have seen (the music is wonderful too).

Has anyone seen it or heard of it?
Popogeejo
Ailuro told me about it. Kind if very girly but I'm not complaining, it's not bad.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
Another anime I haven't heard of. Either way, with what Popo said, I might not check it out. I don't like girly anime and such. Not my cup of tea.
Toby-Chan
Just because it has a lot of girls in it doesn't make it girly. :/ "Girly" makes it sound like sailor moon or something.

Haibane Renmei is an emotional classic. Understated and gorgeously crafted overall. It's a cute little piece of modern philosophical mythology focusing on theories of the afterlife. And ABe's art is always nice to look at. (Background paintings are his forte it seems.)
VeRi
Haibane Renmei is pretty much a tear jerking anime, the excellent music, design, and voice acting for english and japanese VA's really pulled me in to this anime. This anime was so good that it got me depressed for awhile laugh.gif
Vash_the_Gunslinger
I might give it a try if I can find it.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jan 23 2007, 11:49 PM) [snapback]496876[/snapback]
Just because it has a lot of girls in it doesn't make it girly. :/

Too true, it's because it's and emotion driven plot about coming to terms with yourself and maturity that makes it girly. That does not mean, though, that it is bad or that guys shouldn't watch it.
It's a lovely piece of animation with a great score and great character designs.
It's not the best out there but it's defiantly worth a try.

([spoiler]Also, the moment when Rakka's wings sprout out may be one of the coolest things ever.[/bloke made][/spoiler])
ed's numbuh 1 fan
ohmy.gif I love this anime! I first watched it when my friend lent me the dvd from the library. happy.gif

I love the animation tons and the characters and all are so well done. I wanted to see the rest of the episodes right after i saw the second episode. smile.gif

I dunno why i did'nt think to make a thread of this. XD
Zarpia
I saw this one a long time ago, well not that long ago.

It is truly a beautiful anime.
Triss Hawkeye
It is! happy.gif

And I know some guys who like it, so it's not all a girl thing.

The charaters are brilliant - really well thought out and three dimensional. Very philosophical too - I like that sort of stuff.
Bakka
ITS AWSOME! i absolutely loved it *squee*
InsaneFangirl
I saw maybe one or two episodes of it. I find it very calming, but not exactly addictive. There are several animes were I didn't start to like it until later, like Peacemaker and Chrno Crusade...Where did it start to get good for you?

The animation is beautiful, though.
VeRi
after episodes 5 or 6 it starts to get depressing
Triss Hawkeye
I loved it from the beginning, but it started to get very gripping from epiosde 6 I think. I won't give away any spoilers, but it is a turning point and you begin to worry about Rakka.
Popogeejo
Having finally finished this, while I still think it is kind of girly, it is a truly lovely story with some rather interesting under tones.

[spoiler]Were the Haibanes kids who committed suicide? It was kind of obvious that Rekkis dream of of being hit by a train and Rakkas could have been jumping of a building...[/spoiler]
Triss Hawkeye
[spoiler]It is generally thought that Rakka and Reki both commited suicide, given their depressed state and them becoming Sin-Bound. However the Haibane in general are probably children who died before their time.[/spoiler]
Haruka_The_Alchemist
Hey I've heard of this,I'm intrested in the series but I dunno where I could find the DVDs at a good price (since I don't have that much money happy.gif').
CodenameElizabeth
I have SO MUCH LOVE for this anime. I own the entires series-- in the limited edition box-- and it's definitely one of my favorites.

It gets bonus points for totally making me tear up. I never get like that over movies and stuff. The characters are so well developed and real for being from a fictional story. (I was like, OMFG-- Reki has the same emotional baggage as me!! WTF?)

The series never really does answer the question of "what are the Haibane?" You are still left wondering after the show ends.

Triss Hawkeye, your icon WINS.

AND I picked up the same undertones about Rakka and Reki [spoiler]both being 'sin-bound' due to being suicides[/spoiler]. Good to see I wasn't the only one who picked up on this. The tought was kind of morbid to me at first. I wonder if our theory was correct... (I love philosophical anime like this.)
Triss Hawkeye
Yeah, me too. Do you know of any other good philosophical animes? Makes a change from all the action (don't worry Ed - we still love you!!) biggrin.gif
CodenameElizabeth
Triss, one simply cannot beat Evangelion for a philosophical anime. It's the ultimate mind-fcuk IMO. wink.gif

If you like ABe's art style from HR, you can always try Serial Experiments LAIN. Another good, thought-provoking series.

Another series I like is "Now and Then, Here and There." It's not well known, and it has a simply art style. But the simple art masks a crazy deep message about the futlilty of war, and the people it affects.

Seeing this thread caused me to go home from work and MAINLINE Haibane Renmei last night. In a six-hour geek-a-thon.
And yeah, it still makes me cry after all these years...

Back on the topic of HR, when I was watching the series last night, I got to thinking about your theory about the Haibane [spoiler]all being children who died 'before their time.' Since every Haibane has a 'dream' before thy are born, I was thinking that perhaps the dream had something to do with how they died. Take for instance Rakka and Reki. Our theory is that they were suicides-- Rakka jumping from a high place, and Reki throwing herself in front of a moving train. So, the other Haibane could easily have their 'dreams' compared to the way they died. Nemu dreamed of sleeping, so I equated this with a coma, or perhaps Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Kuu had a similar dream as Rakka, but was not sin-bound, so I assumed she also died from a fall, but hers was accidental. Hikari dreamed of being surrounded by bright light, so I immediately thought of a fire causing her death. Kana dreamed of floating in a river, so she may have drowned. Hyoko (spelling?) the boy from the abandoned factory, was named after a frozen lake, so maybe he fell through a frozen lake and also drowned...[/spoiler]

Just my two cents, but figured I'd share. wink.gif
Triss Hawkeye
That's a very good point.

Yes, Haibane Renmei made me cry too. I practically burst into tears at the final episode and also [spoiler]when Kuu had her Day of Flight[/spoiler].
Popogeejo
QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Feb 13 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]504696[/snapback]
Back on the topic of HR, when I was watching the series last night, I got to thinking about your theory about the Haibane [spoiler]all being children who died 'before their time.' Since every Haibane has a 'dream' before thy are born, I was thinking that perhaps the dream had something to do with how they died. Take for instance Rakka and Reki. Our theory is that they were suicides-- Rakka jumping from a high place, and Reki throwing herself in front of a moving train. So, the other Haibane could easily have their 'dreams' compared to the way they died. Nemu dreamed of sleeping, so I equated this with a coma, or perhaps Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Kuu had a similar dream as Rakka, but was not sin-bound, so I assumed she also died from a fall, but hers was accidental. Hikari dreamed of being surrounded by bright light, so I immediately thought of a fire causing her death. Kana dreamed of floating in a river, so she may have drowned. Hyoko (spelling?) the boy from the abandoned factory, was named after a frozen lake, so maybe he fell through a frozen lake and also drowned...[/spoiler]

Just my two cents, but figured I'd share. wink.gif

I read something similar on Wikipedia. Nemu could have been anything from a coma to suffocation.

The ending managed to surprise me.
[spoiler]I knew Rekki would be freed from being Sin bound but I didn't expect her to get her day of flight. The twin cocoons were a cute little extra.[/spoiler]
I wouldn't have minded seeing a bit more but thats always the way with most anime...
Triss Hawkeye
Yes - with a lot of things you just want there to be more, but I guess it's best being short and 100% wonderful, rather than long, bloated and filler-full. *cough*Naruto*cough*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.