Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sample Of English Dub For Fullmetal Alchemist...
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
TheVileOne
Fullmetal Alchemist information from Funimation

On the website you can click on a link to a video which features Funimation working on the English dub and their impressions of the series and characters. Looks pretty good.

There's also links to transcripts of some interviews about FMA with the ADR directors and voice actors.
Quistis88
Fascinating indeed. But I still must admit that I am always more partial to the original seiyuus (no one else can deliver an Ed like Paku Romi!). Overall, I'll be interested in seeing it dubbed, whether I end up liking it or not.
Ninie
It's so... strange to hera them with these voices! I think it's really good, but I like more the original ones (it's normal)...

It's so strange!

It really made me want to hear more of it... I think i'm going to buy 1 DVD or 2...
Shrimpusmaximus
I was suprised. No revulsion. A curious sensation. I think that if I had seen that first I would think that the "real" voice actors would sound just as strage as these guys do now. I think its for the most part a "Ed doesn't sound like that" sort of thing. I'll adapt fast.
Maliza
what the hell? I dont't hear anything! O.O
Maenos
QUOTE(Maliza @ Oct 19 2004, 12:48 AM)
what the hell? I dont't hear anything! O.O

Do you have Real player? Perhaps that's why (or maybe you don't have the latest version...).

Anyway, I have to say, I like what I heard happy.gif Vic did a pretty good job as Ed, I think, and from the bit of Al we heard, he still has that metal...whatever the heck you call it (echo?).

It was strange to hear a new voice come out of their (well, Ed's mouth, Al's armor) mouths, but they were good voices, heh.
Shinigami
Sounds pretty good so far but then again there never going to be able to beat the orignal. you really can't tell much from it though since you need to see a high emotion bit or other bits which make ed, ed.
TheVileOne
A couple things guys. The interviews in the links say they have not changed or altered any of the shows concepts for American audiences and haven't "dumbed" it down as many sub-nazis fear and said they would. The ADR directors also said that the dub from the episode shown at Otakon has been changed and edited significantly, so hopefully that means improvements are being made.
Queen of the dammed
Whoa... Ed's voice broke... no more growing for him!!!! laugh.gif Actually, they sound okay... BUT ROMI PAKU OWNZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Renkinjutsushi
oh man! you thought that was good? wow.....WOW blink.gif i thought that my ears were going to start bleeeding from that. no thing personal or anything but dubbing in general is bad, but that was horrible. als wasnt /too/ bad but it needed more echo in it.
Queen of the dammed
Well, in my opinion, english dubs aren't that bad when compared to cantonese dubs ( all the boys sound like middle-aged women...)
Ninie
Some French dubs are horrible, too... And it's always the same voice actor for the main boys, the same one for the main girls, and ect. It's annoying! I never heard an American dub, but I don't think it's like that.
RolfKaese
side note: the woman you see as Co-Director is actually the voice of Riza in the US FMA...

I dont like the dub, I hate their accent. its horrible. ed is talking like is chewing gum all the time and al sounds like he is hiding in a barrell talking...
There are way better American Subs than this, but... no. I will watch some episodes of it, but only because I'm a FMA Fan.
No far my impression: bad job on the dubbing.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(RolfKaese @ Oct 19 2004, 07:11 PM)
side note: the woman you see as Co-Director is actually the voice of Riza in the US FMA...

I dont like the dub, I hate their accent. its horrible. ed is talking like is chewing gum all the time and al sounds like he is hiding in a barrell talking...
There are way better American Subs than this, but... no. I will watch some episodes of it, but only because I'm a FMA Fan.
No far my impression: bad job on the dubbing.

Collen Clinkenbeard is also the voice of Rose. You know Rolf...since you're German, maybe you just can't appreciate the English dub enough or something smile.gif .
Queen of the dammed
Ahhh..... it's not like I'll be able to watch it because we don't have cable.... stupid parents....
wolfi1412
I can't imagine how the Gluttony will say "Can I eat him?"
RolfKaese
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Oct 19 2004, 09:40 PM)
Collen Clinkenbeard is also the voice of Rose.  You know Rolf...since you're German, maybe you just can't appreciate the English dub enough or something smile.gif .

Nah, thats not it. English Voices are cool, though ^^
But sometimes they just dont fit! Dubs which change origin voices so badly... urgh...
And german dubs are often also horrible! I just remember the dub of Yugioh... wtf what a shit.... and the best example why I hate localized anime versions... changing the names only because they dont sound "american"... enough for me to hate us dubs so far tongue.gif

and that they still do this... I just say Case Closed... what a pain in the a..

Thank god the german dub is great and as good as the japanese ^__^
Cloud28
well, i am never going to see the dubbed anyways, YTV is never going to show FMA in Canada! mad.gif
Kakashi
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Yeah it sounds like YTV do be like that.
Ninie
I'm in Canada, and my friend has it (don't know how...) I'll ask her to tape it.
Uirumusu
someone to explain to me how it sounds, I can't imagine them in english, it's just not right!
Queen of the dammed
Ed sounds... err..... Well his voice kinda sounds lower, with that sort of typical American male hero of his age... and Al sounds like an typical american kid talking in a barrel.... yeah... basicaly typical americaniss all over.... blink.gif
hmmm...
as it is am not really feeling ed english voice. i keep wondering how its gonna sound when he goes into one of his comical anger moments. on the other hand i don't mind al voice really.am glad they for one did'nt give al some deep tinman voice( as was one of my fears originally><;;)

i want to think the voices of the other characters should be alright for the most part but then even so i'll more then likely still enjoy the original voices better. smile.gif
cirle
Awful, just awful. Please if you have never seen the series never ever put the English track on. Geez the Ed voice trying to explain his character was awful. I'm not sure if this guy passed elementary school or if he needed cue cards.
Gashole
Can't find FMA one. unsure.gif
It may be bad, but it can't be worse than DBZ. laugh.gif

I'm just confused why is it voice actors for dubbed anime always have this up-and-down way of talking, if you know what I mean.
alpha
The only problem I have with the dub is that they made the whole talking in a metal suit too noticable.

All dub complainers are biased anyways don't post here.
Ailuro
It wasn't quite what I was expecting. But I suppose it could be worse. Its going to be hard getting used to his new voice. His other voice was so.. so.. Ed-like. Does that make sense? sleep.gif What will Ed sound like when he cries? >>;

Al sounded decent though. It still had that same sweet and innocent feel about it.
Vael
I HATED Ed's, but liked Al's. I like what they did with Al's.

Ed, on the other hand... has that typical... whiny.... nasal voice.... He reminds me a LOT of the Ash voice from Pokemon. it's so... AUGH! AAAH. Oh well.
Queen of the dammed
QUOTE(Vael @ Oct 22 2004, 03:11 AM)
Ed, on the other hand... has that typical... whiny.... nasal voice.... He reminds me a LOT of the Ash voice from Pokemon. it's so... AUGH! AAAH. Oh well.

Ahhh.... yes that's what my sister said:
Me: So how do you think of the dub voices?
Sis: Ed sounds like Ash.
Me: But the only anime you've seen dumbed are Pokemon and Yami no Matsumei...
Sis: Thank goodness for that... I don't wanna listen them screw up the voices...
Tashi
al sounds ok, but ed is...blah
alpha
Ed's voice is actually pretty good though it might sound a little too mature.
TheNothingAlchemist
Ditto, i think the voice is way too old for ed, i prefer the japanese actress who does ed's voice in japanese better than that Vic guy who does it in english.
(It sounds like... something from DragonBall Z , which the voices get annoying)
AAhh man......the guy just ruined everything (we not everything, just the feeling and stuf)........Ed sounds like Al stuck his big metal fist into his throat! Now everytime i watch FMA at school (we have a club every Monday to watch undumbed anime, which is grete), ill be banging my head against the wall...
if only they had gotten the dub right like they did with cowboy bebop. in my opinion that was the best dubbing ive seen. still waiting to hear how the others turn out
filimonovna
Oh, my God! What have they done!!! Well, Ok, I must admit, Еd is not THAT bad, but well, the voice isn't the voice you could expect from that kind of a character (even if you hadn't heard the japanese version). Al... AL is awful! The voice of him doesn't suit him completely! Corneloo is pretty confusing too, but he and Rose are ok. But what about Ed... I'm embarassed and disappointed! Let's see, what's going to be with Roy and others, but...
Kokoro no Hana
It's really awful! Ed's voice doesn't match his personality at all, Al doesn't sound any kind of cute and Rose sounds too old when she screams T0T
filimonovna
QUOTE(Kokoro no Hana @ Oct 23 2004, 11:02 AM)
It's really awful! Ed's voice doesn't match his personality at all, Al doesn't sound any kind of cute and Rose sounds too old when she screams T0T

*Nodds, nodds* What will they do to Winry, Maes, Roy? And others?
Kokoro no Hana
QUOTE(filimonovna @ Oct 23 2004, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE(Kokoro no Hana @ Oct 23 2004, 11:02 AM)

*Nodds, nodds* What will they do to Winry, Maes, Roy? And others?

It's awful T0T

They could at least TRY to found some good voices :/
America is lazy. the first person who comes running in to adition is picked. in this case, a bum who caught fma by the window(and saw 30 seconds of it) went running in and got picked. al was heard from a garbage can, so they picked him. To me, Cornello isn't that bad, but that's only for like 2 episodes so who cares
QUOTE(filimonovna @ Oct 23 2004, 07:29 PM)

They could at least TRY to found some good voices :/

Well... I think they DID try that. Remember that the people working on the dub are... well, people, too...
But then again, it's your right to complain, after all, you pay for the DVDs.

QUOTE(Rolf)
And german dubs are often also horrible! I just remember the dub of Yugioh... wtf what a shit.... and the best example why I hate localized anime versions... changing the names only because they dont sound "american"... enough for me to hate us dubs so far tongue.gif

and that they still do this... I just say Case Closed...  what a pain in the a.. 

I didn't really watch much of the german YGO-dub because I don't like the show, but the little bits I've heard sounded pretty okay. o__O I mean, at least they got Sebastian Schulz *fähnchen schwenk* XD

And about Case Closed, AFAIK it's not Funimation's fault. I heard the japanese creators of the Anime told them to change the names and stuff.

Anyway, back to topic:
I think it's not THAT bad... Al's voice is cute, but Ed sounds too old. And this Vic-guy trying to explain his character sounded REALLY funny. Altough I like it when he says that Ed 's the coolest guy in the world. ^^

But it's not like I'll be watching much of the American Dub anyway...

Oh, and am I the only one who can't download the clips from this site? I always get an error which says that the page couldn't be found =/
speshle_ed
Listening to the voices were wierd ...they didnt really suit me so I dont know if I am going to watch it on CN/AS cause of it or if I do I am going to be screaming at teh TV because it is wierd =^.^;=
Quistis88
I just heard the clips.

I . . . I think my ears are bleeding . . .

Yes, in a figurative context.
Queen of the dammed
The priest guy was okay...but I loved the bit when he yelled "SINNARZ!!!!!!" for some reason... tongue.gif
xrninja
cornello's VA isn't bad, and rose sounds okay so far, but i'm still not that happy with ed and al. they just both sound too old and manly. i'm warming up to ed a liiiiittle bit, but i can't stand al. his VA (who's a 12-year-old boy, i think) has this irritating scratchy voice, and he says all his lines with very little emotion. his voice is also a lot lower than al's, and he just doesn't have that higher pitched, more innocent ring that al has. and i think that's a big part of al's character.

and i got a little annoyed when during the interview vic was talking about fans who were telling him that they preferred him as ed over paku romi. maybe that's okay for people who have only watched the dub or have watched more dub episodes than subbed, but that's just WRONG for sub FMA fans in my opinion. i'm reluctant to even call them fans, even though i'm being sort of elitist about this. but paku romi was just plain AMAZING as ed; i have zero complaints about her seiyuu work.
blackasknight90
UGHH NOOOOOOOOOO WAT HAVE THEY DONE!!! I HOPE IT SOUNDS A 1000 TIMES BETTER WHEN IT ACTUALLY AIRS! mad.gif
alpha
If you guys never heard the Japanese version you wouldn't be complaining.
WaveMaster
They sound like little kids, they killed it
TheVileOne
QUOTE(WaveMaster @ Oct 24 2004, 10:16 PM)
They sound like little kids, they killed it

How did they kill it? Believe it or not, the Elric brothers ARE little kids.
xrninja
personally i think that they don't sound enough like little kids in the dub samples we heard.
Quistis88
QUOTE(xrninja @ Oct 24 2004, 11:00 PM)
personally i think that they don't sound enough like little kids in the dub samples we heard.

I completely agree. With Ed's new voice, at least, since Al's voice actor IS a kid . . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.