Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greed Wants To Transfer His Soul To A Suit Of Armor To Gain 'immortality'?!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
The random alchemist
If there's one thing about the anime and manga that confusses me its Greed's interest in Al's body.

Why you might wonder: Greed suggests he wants to transfer his soul to a suit of armor to gain 'immortality' however... wait a sec... Greed's a homunculus.
As far as the series are conserned homunculus ([spoiler]to the exception of Greed!Ling [/spoiler]) don't have souls.

So why would Greed want to transfer his soul if he doesn't have one? Does he think he has one? Does he not know homunculi don't have souls?

This has bother me since I got volume 9 of the FMA DVDS, it bothering me even more when I read the subtitles to one of the OVAS (screenshot below).

So what's up Greedy-poo?

happy discussions smile.gif
Popogeejo
Okay...
Recall the little black babies in the gate? They take the place of the soul in the homunculus body. He would transfer that into the armour in lace of an actual soul.

Atleast that's how I see it.

This should probably have gone in the "Ashamed to be asking this" thread.
The random alchemist
I didn't bother going to the "ashamed to be asking this" topic because this is more of a character discussion than a question =/ hense why I put it in this forum.
GREEDisGOOD
You ask why Greed would want to be like Al. Well, he was sealed in Lab 5 for over a hundred years, and it's obvious that he hated it. Though as a homunculus he's immortal, he can be sealed by his bones. But Al is basically immortal too, only that he can't be sealed. I think Greed wanted Al's body because then he couldn't be sealed (only at the time he didn't know that Al could have been killed by breaking the blood seal)
pawnedbyme
I think greed has a soul.....
Chiyo
QUOTE(pawnedbyme @ Jan 20 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]495900[/snapback]
I think greed has a soul.....

^.....you missed a lot of the point of FMA didn't you?

sweety_pie
If there's one thing about the anime and manga that confusses me its Greed's interest in Al's body.
He is 'greedy as hell', he wants everything. Als armour makes him immortal. Although Greed is a hummunculous, he can still die. [spoiler]and did[/spoiler]

Why you might wonder: Greed suggests he wants to transfer his soul to a suit of armor to gain 'immortality' however... wait a sec... Greed's a homunculus.
As far as the series are conserned homunculus (to the exception of Greed!Ling ) don't have souls.

I guess that is true... But the baby things take the place of souls in the hummunculous (like Popo said)
So why would Greed want to transfer his soul if he doesn't have one? Does he think he has one? Does he not know homunculi don't have souls?

Like I said, Greed is 'greedy as hell', he want everything, including immortality.
He does not have an actual soul, but having a body of armour, he could live forever, and I guess that is better than a soul.
GREEDisGOOD
Now, I'm not so sure Greed didn't have a soul. He may not have had a soul in the conventional sense, but wasn't that the whole point of Lust's character, that she wasn't just the Ishbalan woman brought back to life, that she acutally had a personality to herself, perhaps what could be considered a soul.
The random alchemist
QUOTE(GREEDisGOOD @ Jan 20 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]495977[/snapback]
Now, I'm not so sure Greed didn't have a soul. He may not have had a soul in the conventional sense, but wasn't that the whole point of Lust's character, that she wasn't just the Ishbalan woman brought back to life, that she acutally had a personality to herself, perhaps what could be considered a soul.

very true. but my question was what was Greed thinking at the time.
I know people have mention he's "greedy as hell" but being greedy doesn't really explain why he'd want something he couldn't possibly have use for.Sorta like Greed wouldn't want a disease or a male companion, his greed only goes so far o.O
Hunterk
I also thought of this question when I watched the anime.
and well.. in the manga I don't remmember them saying anything about homunculus not having a soul, since they are made in a diferent way.. they probably do have a soul. (in the manga)
Chiisana
Actually Ed can't be the only one who know how to transfer a soul into armor or something.
In the flashback of Martel, she has also seen armor with nothing inside but a kind of bloodseal.
Ehm... Let's see here... That was after King became Furher... Ayeeee I'm all confused~
AnimeFantasy
I think it's that he just didn't know any better. And you know how the homunculi(s) want to become human right? Well I think that maybe if he transfer he'd get a soul too...? Basically I think it's just that he was naive and didn't know anything.
Automne
[continues the reviving of the ubber old thread]

You know why Greed want to transfer his 'soul'? Because he thinks of himself as so great he believes he's got one (well, okay, he isn't Pride, but you can't deny the cockyness). Also there's nothing solid enough to prove homunculi don't have a soul besides Ed's rambling, which can easily be ignored, at least by me...: D
Raych
Soul or not, I think the reason Greed wants to be transfered into a body like Al's is so he can be immortal. He's only immortal now [spoiler]because of the stones he's eaten[/spoiler].. right? smile.gif If he didn't have them, he could die.
GREEDisGOOD
I swear to god the answer is so EASY. Greed was the only homunculus to be sealed, and for over a hundred years. Take what Marta said after Greed died. She told Ed that Greed had wanted him to end his life, that he would rather be dead than be sealed. He knew from Tucker that Al was imortal but not under the same restrictions as him. All he cared about was getting a body that was immortal but couldn't be sealed.

I'm pretty sure that's it. END OF STORY...hopefully.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.