Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monster
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
asunder
~This is an anime highly recommended by anime fans (in the top 10 at anidb and #32 on animenfo's list)~
Though I should warn that both horror and violence are present in this anime.

Title: Monster
Japanese Title: モンスター
Official Site: http://www.ntv.co.jp/monster/
Category: TV
Total Episodes: 74
Genres: Drama, Horror, Mystery
Year Published: 2004
Age rating: Mature (May contain sex, drugs, and extreme graphic violence)

AnimeNFO | AniDB | Animenewsnetwork

Description from animenfo.com:
Dr. Tenma is a Japanese brain surgeon working in Germany. He has it all: incredible medical skills, a great job, and a beautiful fiancée who also happens to be the daughter of the hospital's director.

One day he is ordered to forgo operating on a critically injured man in favor of a more illustrious patient. Disillusioned by the hospital’s politics, he decides from then on that he will do what he thinks is right, regardless of politics.

Some time later, a young boy and his twin sister are brought in. The boy has a bullet in his head and requires an operation that Dr. Tenma knows only he is capable of performing successfully. Just as Dr. Tenma is about to begin the procedure, the mayor is rushed into the hospital and the director instructs Dr. Tenma to leave the boy to operate on the critically ill mayor. Dr. Tenma decides that he will do what is right and go ahead with the boy's operation.

The young boy's operation ends in success but the surgeons operating on the politician fail. As a result, Dr. Tenma is passed over for a promotion and his fiancée calls off their engagement.

Soon after this incident, strange murders begin to occur, all of which benefit Dr. Tenma greatly. As a result, he becomes the prime suspect although the police have no evidence against him. It seems that the boy whose life he saved is heavily involved in it somehow and that there is much more to him than meets the eye.
description from anidb.net
Anime series based on the famous "Monster" manga by Naoki Urasawa.

Dr. Kenzo Tenma is a very talented Japanese doctor and he`s praised by all doctors in Germany. But after he saw how a woman cried for her man who died because someone else got more priority, he changed. He decides he wouldn`t let anyone pass; everyone is equal.

But one day, Tenma has to work on a little boy who was shot during the murder of his parents. He decides he will save the life of the boy, because he was first in line.

But then, the children disappear .. and the murders begin. Tenma, feeling both guilt and worry, goes off to investigate the case since he feels that it somehow relates to him ... and the horror begins, for both Tenma and everyone he meets in search for the children...

here are the first few episodes, i'll upload more whenever I get the chance.
Direct Download links --removed

Images

Quistis88
I finished that entire series a few months ago. I have to say that it's one of my favorites. smile.gif Very fast-paced in most places, and very "human". I like that.
Nepharski
A friend of mine practically hit me over the head with it till I agreed to read it (the Manga, that is). Up to volume 4, and it's rather good. I assume the Anime is no different, as I looked into that to and it seems faithful.

Still not licensed, is it? I find that odd, considering how good it is.
asunder
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Dec 12 2006, 07:27 PM) [snapback]483873[/snapback]
A friend of mine practically hit me over the head with it till I agreed to read it (the Manga, that is). Up to volume 4, and it's rather good. I assume the Anime is no different, as I looked into that to and it seems faithful.

Still not licensed, is it? I find that odd, considering how good it is.

Aye still not licensed in North America!
although the region 3 dvd for singapore has english subs~
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2006-...th-english-subs
Blitz
Ah, a Monster thread! My brother and I watched it obsessively like a year ago and only got to episode 16.... We only have the first volume of it. T^T
edsgirl
Thank you for the reminder, Asu! I started watching Monster ages ago and never got aruond to watching the last 5 or 6 episodes. Definitely one of the best manga to anime transitions that I've seen in a long time. I guess the reason I stopped watching it is because, it just wasn't that interesting once you get up there in the anime. Other animes just got more and more interesting to me, but I'm glad you reminded me to go back and finish it. Asu, helper to the gods sleep.gif
Hanozo
WOW cool

Can't wait to watch the whole series. XD
asunder
[I'm writing to bump this topic~ XD]

I just finished watching this amazing series last night.

All 74 episodes are now linked via megaupload~ enjoy~
Blitz
^ Wow, it must have taken a long time. Thanks for the links!
mei_tenshi
I finished Monster a couple of days ago, and even with all the time that I've had, it still took a while. And yeah, a good portion of my break went to watching Monster, which had me at the edge of my seat (or cushion, when I'm sitting on the floor) most of the time. And I admit it! At some points, I had to grab a cushion because I needed something to hug.

Awesome, awesome series.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
Thanks for the links! I haven't been able to find the last 40 or so episodes, but now I have.
Nepharski
Read the original Manga in its entirety over December. More brilliance from Naoki Urasawa. Checked up on some of the later episodes for referance, and I was right; pretty much a faithful adaption, so watching all 74 episodes is the same as reading all 18 volumes.

Monster is easily the second best Manga I've ever seen, and I'm assuming the Anime is right up there with it.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Jan 1 2007, 10:52 PM) [snapback]490377[/snapback]
Monster is easily the second best Manga I've ever seen, and I'm assuming the Anime is right up there with it.

It is right up there. Just for confirmation.
yoko0217
wuv that anime
Havanese
Thank you for making this thread! I adore this anime, but the ending had me boggled. I wish I could get into Naoki Urasawa's mind. sad.gif
Nekokitty
Thank you for the episode links, asu.
I've only seen episode 1 so far, I seriously need to get moving and watch the rest of this.
Popogeejo
I felt it dragged in the middle but that seemed to make the ending even better.
I'll have to get the manga of this soon.
Havanese
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Dec 10 2007, 06:46 PM) *
I felt it dragged in the middle but that seemed to make the ending even better.
I'll have to get the manga of this soon.

I could be wrong, but I think the manga is almost exactly like the anime, except for some differences with the pacing. It's a very accurate adaptation, so I'm not sure if there's any point in getting the manga except that you can read it anytime.

I agree, it did seem to drag in the middle. Some of the episodes bored me, but I hung in there and it was very worth it in the end (though the ending disappointed me a little... or maybe I just can't fully appreciate it).
asunder
QUOTE(Nekokitty @ Dec 10 2007, 08:42 PM) *
Thank you for the episode links, asu.
I've only seen episode 1 so far, I seriously need to get moving and watch the rest of this.

unfortunately, I posted those episode links about a year ago. So they're probably all expired. Maybe i'll reupload the episodes at some point.
Naivete
Halfway through this series at the moment. Teh most awesome thing I've seen in a long time, I need to finish it before I'm tempted to Wiki it. ><
DonnaDelDrago
Monster is one of my favorites too. So many episodes but not one of them gets boring or repetative.
It is very funny for me to see places in germany in an anime.
asunder
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages...1820114,00.html

pulitzer prize winning author praises Monster

oh yeah the anime got licensed too!

(About time!)
Nekokitty
QUOTE(asunder @ Jul 12 2008, 12:58 PM) *
oh yeah the anime got licensed too!

(About time!)

Wait, when?! O_O
By who? Viz Media?
Popogeejo
Yup. Good ol' Viz finally woke up and saw a profit to be had. I don't care if all the characters have comedy Jamaican accents, I am buying the hell out of those DVDs.
alphonse-fma
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Jul 13 2008, 01:40 PM) *
Yup. Good ol' Viz finally woke up and saw a profit to be had. I don't care if all the characters have comedy Jamaican accents, I am buying the hell out of those DVDs.

biggrin.gif
asunder
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-...the-world-plans

The North American distributor Viz Media indicated during the question-and-answer session at its New York Comic Con panel on Sunday that it will detail release plans for the Monster television anime series
phoenix dying
You guys are talking about the energy drink right?

huh.gif
Forgiven
This was an excellent Anime. You don't see many of those around. And it saddens me.

Anyways, a little side note:www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-07-08/live-action-monster-movie-screenwriter

http://www.anime-forums.com/showthread.php?t=92900

Hope it happens.
Popogeejo
Hey there folkty-folks, the dub of Monster will be airing on Syfy today at 11 pm. 2 eps each Monday. Check it out.
Check out some previews here; http://www.youtube.com/user/Ginko3827#p/c/EF675818B9E2EED8
Raichi
~ Japanese Anime Series Monster: where can I watch it? ~

A working version of the anime: Monster.

I've heard it's good so I want to see for myself smile.gif
Tombow
@Raichi - I know this U.S. info may not help you, but just as info for others... in the U.S., Monster has been shown on SyFy channel's AniMonday line-up since October 12, 2009. (Monday, 11:00 pm - 11:30 pm)
It was on hiatus for a while, and then restarted on Aug 30, 2010 for the last 6 episodes. (You can read more on this on AnimeNewsnetwork.)

Other than that I don't have info on other viewing options. Hope some others can help you. smile.gif

By the way, anyone who is interested in this anime, you can read more about this amine series on Monster thread.

We'll be merging this thread to Monster thread later.
Meantime, please feel free to add reply posts here. smile.gif
Raichi
i hope someone answers soon sad.gif I really want to start watching already.

ETA: Oct. 5, 2010
in my country it's legal to watch things online, as long as you don't upload it yourself for others to see/download.

sooo, can someone please PM me a link where I can watch it? THanks ^^
Tombow
Merged the thread.

ETAOct. 5, 2010:
Raichi, I merged your Oct. 5, 2010 post asking for help again (and bumping the thread) to your previous (Sep. 23, 2010) post because it was essentially the same/similar content of asking/urging for help as your previous post. Since we already have your two posts with the same/similar content, I think that should do. Please hold off adding any more of such posts. smile.gif

Also, Popogeejo, thank you for your advise. smile.gif
Raichi
OMG the ending left me hanging sad.gif
I never read the manga, but this anime... it left me hanging in the last episodes. Just what are their names? It feels so unfinished; they left out several kinds of information like them meeting up again and what happens next!!!

WAHT KIND OIF ENDING IS THIS~!!!! GYAAAAAA!~!! Is there a movie or anything to follow?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.