Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 7 Sins (not Homunculi, Real Sins ^^) Discussions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Amol
I was wondering , which of the seven sins is the most dangerous ?

(not talking about the FMA characters here, I mean in real life )
Chiyo
^ I might be wrong but I think this sort of thread does exists somewhere, or at least a sin one does. The mods will know but for now I will say lust.
000_neji
i think Pride is the most dangerous amongst them,because of Pride they are unconciously doing bad for their own sake...
Nepharski
Traditionally speaking, Pride is the father of all sins.

Pride is essentially a spiteful intolerance and scorn for everything, really. To Pride, everything in life, actions, people, things, are all means to an end. That end? Supremacy. Over what? Give them something. Anything. Pride hatefully despises and attempts to cast down anything that is better than itself, and has nothing but scorn and disrepute for whatever lies below it. As for those on par, well, they must be destroyed as quickly as possible.

Greed makes a man want wealth for the sake of wealth. Pride makes a man want wealth for the sake of having more wealth than our previous man. Pride hoards not because it needs more, but so others may have less. Pride is jealous. Pride is hateful. Pride corrupted the Catholic Church in the Medieval period; Pride sparked the Jewish Holocaust. Pride leads a man to destroy his neighbor. Pride is a natural friend to the Envious, Greedy, and Wrathful.
Triss Hawkeye
It might seem strange, but I voted Sloth. It's probably the most dangerous to yourself more than anything else, and I know I'm guilty of it sometimes. The feeling of 'oh, I just can't be bothered', procrastination, and just plain laziness. People won't like you because you don't put any effort into anything and you won't bother to help out. But also to yourself, if you don't make an effort in something or decide not to take part in something you will miss out on what life has to offer. It can have lasting negative effects on your future that are hard to change.

Also Sloth, once an ingrained habit, is extremely difficult to get rid of. It's almost as if it dullens your willpower so that you eventually become a slave to the way you feel. Your life can go into a downward spiral - it makes beating addictions and amking difficult decisions nigh on impossible. You will choose the easy way all the time, the 'broad road' as the Bible describes it.

C. S. Lewis said: "The safest road to hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts."

In other words, you can slide gently down without even noticing it. That's why Sloth actually scares me sometimes.
Demon x
I'd say lust is the most dangerous .
Amol
Please give me reasons too. ^^^
Popogeejo
All are deadly, hence the seven deadly sins.

Pride comes before a fall and I don't like falling but lust can lead to lovin' which can lead to diseases which could kill ya. Greed can lead to all kinds of badness like ripping off a Mafia made man resulting in him taking a hit out on you.
Gluttony > Food > talk show host crashing through a wall in a bulldozer to free you only to accidentally kill you.
Envy could kill you if you envied someone dying and you tried to out do them...
Sloth is easy to imagine. There you are in a house when it sets on fire (as houses often do) and you're to lazy to get out.
I can't see how wrath would get you killed....

I'd think Greed is the most dangerous as Greedy folk will take stupid risks for anything.
Triss Hawkeye
Heh, interesting points - some of them made me laugh, although the word 'deadly' here, I think means in the spiritual sense rather than in the physical sense (ie. you go to hell because of them).
Amol
^ yea i agree ... that was a nice post.
000_neji
I agree with Popo this time..they're ALL DEADLY...
Triss Hawkeye
Yeah, you're right of course. But still, each of them could be considered the most dangerous for different reasons.
Amol
Before now i used to think Wrath is the most deadly sin as when a person he is out of mind and you'd never know what he would do, but after the reading these views i think its Pride thats most deadly.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
Pride. Pride can be paired with the other sins to double the sin so to speak. For example, you have pride that you can eat like no tomorrow. So you have pride and gluttony. You can make other ways, but that is one that I thought of randomly.
Demon x
to give my reasons in an earlier post lust could cause ... which will cause diseases and mostly AIDS! which turns your immunity to ZERO as I remember, which will bring diseases right away and make you isolated and then GRIM gives you a friendly... visit then you can enjoy that visit!!!
Edamame
I agree with Nepharski that Pride is the "Father" of the six other sins. In biblical and religious allegory Pride was linked with seeing one-self as being higher than God. Pope Gregory the Great listed Suberbia or Pride as the foremost and ultimate sin followed by Envy. Dante Alighieri defined Pride as: " The love of self perverted to hatred and contempt of one's neighbour." The Catholics considered Pride to be responsible for Satan's fall into damnation. In classical mythology, the tragic hero is always destroyed by his own hubris or Pride. Pride has been a continual motiff throughout history and Nepharski draws on a wonderful point that Pride sparks hatred between men. Pride spawns all other sins and its contrary is the Heavenly virtue of Humility.
All the sins are dangerous in one way or another, but I would still place Pride as the front.

Vash_the_Gunslinger
^^^^^
Very true. Pride is the leader in this contest.
Demon x
yeah but you forgot a very important point that pride can be easily avoided un-like lust.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Demon x @ Dec 31 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]489845[/snapback]
yeah but you forgot a very important point that pride can be easily avoided un-like lust.

1) You can't avoid feeling pride in the same way you can't avoid feeling any other emotion.
2) While you also can't avoid Lust you an choose not to act on it, like when one sees a delicious looking cake in a bakers window but does not go in and buy/steal it then proceed to gorge upon it.

Also:
Lust does not cause AIDs. You can AIDs without lusting for the heroine/sexual partner/bodily liquid of those with AIDs.
Yeah, if you lust after someone and screw them without protection then you can get AIDs. If you are Greedy and sleep with many partners without protection or take heroine then you could get AIDs. Or some ass could just spit in your Big Mac and spread AIDs that way.
Lust =/= AIDs.

phoenix dying
How the crap did you get AIDs and other grand sexually transmitted diseases from the '7 deadly sins'.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(phoenix dying @ Dec 31 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]489862[/snapback]
How the crap did you get AIDs and other grand sexually transmitted diseases from the '7 deadly sins'.

He found away!
Vash_the_Gunslinger
Yes, lust isn't as deadly as pride. Lust doesn't spread AIDs either. Not unless it is purposely done.
Demon x
@popogeejo: what do you mean by protection?
and what is the sin exactly (for lust) the emotion or the act?
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Demon x @ Dec 31 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]489961[/snapback]
@popogeejo: what do you mean by protection?
and what is the sin exactly (for lust) the emotion or the act?

Protection = Condoms.
Lust is a feeling/urge. It's not a sin. None of these are sins. People can be Proud, be Greedy, be Glutinous, be Slothful, be Lustful, be Envious and be Wrathful without committing sin the same way one can be happy or sad or confused.
The seven "sins" tend to have negative effects but it's not certain.
Feeling isn't a sin and acting on them in an way that will effect others badly isn't a sin (It's not nice though).

People can't help what they feel but they can help how they act on these feelings.

Stupidity is the greatest sin, IMO.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Dec 31 2006, 05:23 PM) [snapback]489966[/snapback]
Stupidity is the greatest sin, IMO.

This is true.
Envy II
I'll have to say all of them are dangerous, obviously. Even though I'm an atheist I can see how they are wrong.

I'd say the least is Gluttony, unless you eat people (like Gluttony from FMA. XD), and Pride doesn't seem that bad to me either, unless you just become flat out arrogant, it's good to have some confidence over your accomplishments.

I'd say the three worst are wrath, envy, and sloth. Wrath, because revenge is never any good. Two wrongs don't make a right. wink.gif Envy, because envying someone can make you lose yourself... and try to be more like them. (something I hate.) and of course sloth... Something I'm very guilty of. Laziness, it's a bad thing. I'll say that.

EDIT: How could I forget greed? XD It can be very bad I think... but not so bad if you don't let it get out of control.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
^^^^^
Laziness isn't so bad.
Envy II
It can be... if you don't do your homework. XD
Vash_the_Gunslinger
^^^^^
Homework is overrated.
Envy II
Well I want to make good grades and get a job I really want, so it's kind of important to me. tongue.gif
Popogeejo

Try and stay on topic, don't crap up debate district with mindless drivel. Go to the Character discussion for that.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
I also think that envy is pretty high up there. If I were to put them in order:

1. Pride
2. Envy
3. Wrath
4. Greed
5. Lust
6. Sloth
7. Gluttony

I think that is reasonable.
ed_drink_your_milk
I'd have to say envy. I say this because its ok to have some pride, but IMO envy is never ok. Envy only causes problems and I haven't found a situation yet where envy was a good thing. Wars are started because of envy (and others, but I'm just pointing out envy). EX: Wars over oil. One country ENVIES anothers oil supply, and starts a war. (I am aware wars are not that simplistic and that greed plays a roll there to.)

Also, relationships are easily crushed because of envy. EX: At work. It's hard to get along and work well with a co-worker that you envy.

Anyway, after envy I would say greed and then pride.
Demon x
QUOTE(Sax4Life @ Dec 31 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]489997[/snapback]
I'll have to say all of them are dangerous, obviously. Even though I'm an atheist I can see how they are wrong.

I'd say the least is Gluttony, unless you eat people (like Gluttony from FMA. XD), and Pride doesn't seem that bad to me either, unless you just become flat out arrogant, it's good to have some confidence over your accomplishments.

I'd say the three worst are wrath, envy, and sloth. Wrath, because revenge is never any good. Two wrongs don't make a right. wink.gif Envy, because envying someone can make you lose yourself... and try to be more like them. (something I hate.) and of course sloth... Something I'm very guilty of. Laziness, it's a bad thing. I'll say that.

EDIT: How could I forget greed? XD It can be very bad I think... but not so bad if you don't let it get out of control.

didn't you see popogeejo's post?
QUOTE(popogeejo)
None of these are sins. People can be Proud, be Greedy, be Glutinous, be Slothful, be Lustful, be Envious and be Wrathful without committing sin the same way one can be happy or sad or confused.
Feeling isn't a sin and acting on them in an way that will effect others badly isn't a sin (It's not nice though).

People can't help what they feel but they can help how they act on these feelings.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
QUOTE(Demon x @ Jan 1 2007, 03:15 AM) [snapback]490066[/snapback]
QUOTE(Sax4Life @ Dec 31 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]489997[/snapback]

didn't you see popogeejo's post?
QUOTE(popogeejo)
None of these are sins. People can be Proud, be Greedy, be Glutinous, be Slothful, be Lustful, be Envious and be Wrathful without committing sin the same way one can be happy or sad or confused.

So you think that Popogeejo is right automatically? In his quote, he said that people could be proud, greedy, envious, and such, but the thought still remains. If you are thinking lustfully, you are committing a sin. Sex is reserved for the marriage partner. That is what it says in the Bible. Now everyone is entitled to an opinion and I am just pointing out that Popogeejo's post can be right or wrong. Use your own judgement.
Popogeejo
If you are thinking lustfully, you are committing a sin. Sex is reserved for the marriage partner.
Thinking lustfully does not mean having premarital sex. You can think Lustful thouhgts without acting on them.

That is what it says in the Bible.

Chapter and verse please?
esrz22
Wrath and Greed are most potent, I'd say. People'll do incredible things for Greed.

On a side-I'd say Gluttony is just Greed when it comes to Food. tongue.gif
Vash_the_Gunslinger
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Jan 1 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]490097[/snapback]
If you are thinking lustfully, you are committing a sin. Sex is reserved for the marriage partner.
Thinking lustfully does not mean having premarital sex. You can think Lustful thouhgts without acting on them.

To your first statement, yes, thinking lustfully does not always mean having premarital sex, but for such other things like lust of power, life, and such. And thinking is nearly the same thing as committing. If the thought ever crosses your mind of acting lustfully, then you would say that the thought crossed your mind. I know there is a Bible quote for it, but I can't find it now that I have my Bible in my hand.

To your question: 1 John 1:15-17 and I quote, "15Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.16For everthing in the world-the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does-comes not from the Father but from the worlf.17The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

Now there are more quotes, but this one is I think significant enough. When they say "the lust of his eyes", I say that just looking at things lustfully, whether they be a man/woman or something you can own, can be committing a sin. Also, since the world is sin, if you love the things of this world, then it is a sin. That is my two cents.
Popogeejo
if you love the things of this world, then it is a sin
So people shouldn't love their family? I knew the Bible was a barrel of laughs but wow, that's just stupid.

And thinking is nearly the same thing as committing.

So if I thought of killing someone that would make me a murderer? I'm sorry but that is just crazy. People can't help what they think. you can't avoid thinking "That guys a bit of an ass." or "That lady sure has a nice ass."
It's just complete nonsense to to believe that having a thought is a sin.
No wonder Catholic people are all so glum.

but for such other things like lust of power, life, and such.

I never knew "Lust for life" was a bad thing...
And lust for power isn't inherently bad either.

Please explain why such things are bad, why does the Bible say Lustful thoughts are bad? Surely God can't blame you for thinking in the same way he can't blame you for breathing...
Ronaldo Rodregez
...How can you guys not find Gluttony to be deadliest? Sure, they're all bad, but most only by moral standards. Gluttony's the only one that directly affects your health.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Jan 1 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]490372[/snapback]
if you love the things of this world, then it is a sin
So people shouldn't love their family? I knew the Bible was a barrel of laughs but wow, that's just stupid.

Also, loving your family isn't that bad. All the Bible is saying there if you love things that can never be in heaven and such like anime shows or game systems. People have souls that don't stay in earth.

And thinking is nearly the same thing as committing.
So if I thought of killing someone that would make me a murderer? I'm sorry but that is just crazy. People can't help what they think. you can't avoid thinking "That guys a bit of an ass." or "That lady sure has a nice ass."
It's just complete nonsense to to believe that having a thought is a sin.
No wonder Catholic people are all so glum.

Well, when you think "I'm going to kill him" don't you think that thinking of killing him is a sin? Just the thought of killing someone can cross our minds. Also, I know you can't avoid thinking things like that. It is human nature. We can try and stop it, but what does it matter, right? Also, I am looking up verses to where they have thinking wrongly is a sin. Also, I am not Catholic. If that is what you were inquiring or stating.

but for such other things like lust of power, life, and such.

I never knew "Lust for life" was a bad thing...
And lust for power isn't inherently bad either.

Lust for life is like bloodlust. You want someones life. So you lust for life.

QUOTE(Ronaldo Rodregez @ Jan 1 2007, 11:32 PM) [snapback]490386[/snapback]
...How can you guys not find Gluttony to be deadliest? Sure, they're all bad, but most only by moral standards. Gluttony's the only one that directly affects your health.

That is true.
Demon x
QUOTE(Vash_the_Gunslinger @ Jan 1 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]490360[/snapback]
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Jan 1 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]490097[/snapback]

To your first statement, yes, thinking lustfully does not always mean having premarital sex, but for such other things like lust of power, life, and such. And thinking is nearly the same thing as committing. If the thought ever crosses your mind of acting lustfully, then you would say that the thought crossed your mind. I know there is a Bible quote for it, but I can't find it now that I have my Bible in my hand.

To your question: 1 John 1:15-17 and I quote, "15Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.16For everthing in the world-the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does-comes not from the Father but from the worlf.17The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

Now there are more quotes, but this one is I think significant enough. When they say "the lust of his eyes", I say that just looking at things lustfully, whether they be a man/woman or something you can own, can be committing a sin. Also, since the world is sin, if you love the things of this world, then it is a sin. That is my two cents.

but what are you saying depends On religion which means that not all people are religious but as I know most religions say that It's for the marriage partner but getting further into religion will start a conversation or discussion that'll never end.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
QUOTE(Demon x @ Jan 2 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]490558[/snapback]
but what are you saying depends On religion which means that not all people are religious but as I know most religions say that It's for the marriage partner but getting further into religion will start a conversation or discussion that'll never end.

Yes, if this gets religious we might as well stop going into one sin so much. Also, I personally think that it's for the marriage partner, but we are all human anyway.
Demon x
QUOTE(Vash_the_Gunslinger @ Jan 2 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]490562[/snapback]
QUOTE(Demon x @ Jan 2 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]490558[/snapback]

Yes, if this gets religious we might as well stop going into one sin so much. Also, I personally think that it's for the marriage partner, but we are all human anyway.

that is why we were created with the natural sin of lust which let's you get paired up (or married)to the opposite gendered person which will results (most cases) to offsprings which will do the same and so on with the simple human life.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
^^^^^
I don't need a lesson about how the human race thrives. Thank you anyway.
Demon x
QUOTE(Vash_the_Gunslinger @ Jan 2 2007, 06:46 PM) [snapback]490568[/snapback]
^^^^^
I don't need a lesson about how the human race thrives. Thank you anyway.

It's not about you only, tenths may read these posts so I shouldn't treat this forum as only one is going to.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
Fair enough.
GREEDisGOOD
I think greed, because you want something for yourself bad enough that you'll take it from other people. Think about it: WWI and WWII, the worst actrocities in human history, were results of greed.
Popogeejo
Think about it: WWI and WWII, the worst actrocities in human history, were results of greed.

Care to explain that one?
Matt Perry
Lust. Though some of this may fall under Envy.

There was a woman back in the Medieval(sp?) Times that killed countless beautiful women and drank and bathed in their blood because she wished for more beauty. Hundreds of women were lsain for this, she would rub the blood on her skin in a way we might use lotion today.

There were kings overthrown and killed by their wives.

You wish to be someone else, or wish to have something that you do not.

I can't say this would fall under greed, because that is more like.. hoarding things because you can, even though you have plenty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.