Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Episode 40, Do You Hear Scar's Name? Answer: NO
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Magnum Opus
I just finnished rewatching the series for my second time, and I noticed something new this time:

Scar's brother called Scar by his real name.

I know, I know, Scar left Lust without telling her what his name was... which makes this one of those subtle details that's easy to miss.

It's in the flashback when Scar tells Ed about what had happened between him and his brother, Scar's brother is about to die and he calls Scar: Al

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed, and I just had some interesting thoughts on it:

I just thought Scar and Alphonse made a good team. They were both the brothers to great alchemists who desperately wanted to bring the dead back to life. Both Scar and Alphonse tried to prevent their brothers from doing it (though Alphonse eventually participated). I just thought it was cool that they share the same real name ^ ^

Any thoughts?

<Fixed the spoiler tags. ^^ 08/06/07 ~Tombow>
Funderful
That's odd.
I wish I knew the episode
('Al' doesn't seem very Ishbalan, does it? tongue.gif)

It might have been a variatian, Al still being his nickname.
Interesting topic, though.
Magnum Opus
QUOTE(Funderful @ Nov 26 2006, 02:57 AM) [snapback]477945[/snapback]
That's odd.
I wish I knew the episode
('Al' doesn't seem very Ishbalan, does it? tongue.gif)

It might have been a variatian, Al still being his nickname.
Interesting topic, though.

I believe it was in "The Holy Mother"... when he talks to Ed a bit after Lust dagger pins his automail.

No, it's not a very Ishbalan name >_> I thought that too, I had to rewind and relisten, but that was definitely it. Probably a nickname, but still. I thought it was pretty sweet.
The Iron Heart Alchemist
Yes I do remember seeing that...and it was indeed in the Holy Mother episode...his brother does call him by his real name which Ironically was Al...Maybe it was shortened from a more Ishbalian name but who knows?
Nepharski
Meh...I'd have to hear it to believe it. I've got the whole Holy Mother arc in English, so if someone would give me the episode and segment I'd check it out. But I don't want to browse scenes indefinitely on what just might be a wild goosechase or mistaken hearing.
Amol
I think you have a point there.
I've seen that part too.

And they sure make a good team.
And many times in the series Al has kinda teamed up with scar , i dint see Ed anywhere.

But about the fact scars brother calling him Al huh.gif ...ummm i guess i havent noticed or may be missed it...
Amaya Hawkeye
Its actually in the episode "The Scar". I just watched it. Oh my god, thats awesome. its around 16:10 if you happen to have the episode on your computer. Its right after scar's brother gives him his arm. I just assumed in the past when I watched it that he said "now" but I just rewound it 5 times and theres no "N" there, its definitely "Al" (whenever my friends say Al every once in a while I think they say "ow" haha) Wow, I think your theory's right. Thats why he seems so trusting and compassionate to him.

Ah I'm shaking! Thats so awesome!

As for not being "Ishbalen" enough, Rick and Leo arent very Ishbalen names now are they? besides, other than them, we dont know any Ishbalens by name.
Amol
QUOTE(Amaya Hawkeye @ Dec 18 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]485677[/snapback]
Its right after scar's brother gives him his arm.

I dont he gives him his arm... its only i markings i guess and the ability to perform transmutation !
Amaya Hawkeye
QUOTE(Amol @ Dec 17 2006, 11:46 PM) [snapback]485678[/snapback]

I dont he gives him his arm... its only i markings i guess and the ability to perform transmutation !

Scar loses his arm, and when he wakes up he has an arm again and his brother doesnt. He transmuted his arm onto Scar. Episode 40
Amol
QUOTE(Amaya Hawkeye @ Dec 18 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]485679[/snapback]
QUOTE(Amol @ Dec 17 2006, 11:46 PM) [snapback]485678[/snapback]

Scar loses his arm, and when he wakes up he has an arm again and his brother doesnt. He transmuted his arm onto Scar. Episode 40

Oh, thanks there..... i guess i missed that part, is it where the philosophers stone is being created and scar is sort of recalling these thoughts ?
Amaya Hawkeye
Yeah, Scar and Ed are in the basement of a building in Lior and Scar is telling Ed how he got his arm.
Amol
Ahh... thanks for the info.
CowAlchemist
Duuuuuuuuude. Really?

I'll have to check that out.
KiM xxALPHONSE
That's awesome, lol, I just had to watch the episode, and sure enough he calls him Al. biggrin.gif

I also noticed that, Scar calls his brother 'Brother', just like Al calls Ed 'Brother'. BD
Miss Sweet
I always thought his name was Francis... *shot*
r315razor
QUOTE(Amaya Hawkeye @ Dec 18 2006, 01:41 AM) [snapback]485677[/snapback]
Its actually in the episode "The Scar". I just watched it. Oh my god, thats awesome. its around 16:10 if you happen to have the episode on your computer. Its right after scar's brother gives him his arm. I just assumed in the past when I watched it that he said "now" but I just rewound it 5 times and theres no "N" there, its definitely "Al" (whenever my friends say Al every once in a while I think they say "ow" haha) Wow, I think your theory's right. Thats why he seems so trusting and compassionate to him.

Ah I'm shaking! Thats so awesome!

As for not being "Ishbalen" enough, Rick and Leo arent very Ishbalen names now are they? besides, other than them, we dont know any Ishbalens by name.

Are you sure he is saying "Al" and not "now" ?

He said the souls that were in my body, I have given them all to you Al/now.
EdwardElricsgirl
Positive cause I have seen that episode many times and I can saftly say that scars real name is indeed Al. Which as was so happy about cause if you notice scar took a likey to Al cause I think that he saw himself in Al.
archangelkatherin
You know, I noticed this, but I thought I was just going crazy.

Al...Doesn't sound to Ishbalan, maybe it's shorthand for something like Aladin?

Aladin and Alphonse XD!
GREEDisGOOD
I've heard this before, and I've watched the episode plenty of times, but are you sure Scar's brother didn't say: "I've given them all to you, now" instead of: "I've given them all to you,Al"?

In any case, naming Scar Al just seems way too ironic and staged that they would actually do it.
Super Casual
Great discovery, ty
Tuckersux
I just finnished rewatching the series for my second time, and I noticed something new this time:

Scar's brother called Scar by his real name.

I know, I know, Scar left Lust without telling her what his name was... which makes this one of those subtle details that's easy to miss.

It's in the flashback when Scar tells Ed about what had happened between him and his brother, Scar's brother is about to die and he calls Scar: Al

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed, and I just had some interesting thoughts on it:

I just thought Scar and Alphonse made a good team. They were both the brothers to great alchemists who desperately wanted to bring the dead back to life. Both Scar and Alphonse tried to prevent their brothers from doing it (though Alphonse eventually participated). I just thought it was cool that they share the same real name ^ ^

Any thoughts?

Finally! Other people who heard!

<Fixed the spoiler tags. ^^ 08/06/07 ~Tombow>
Fushi
It's not Al.

This is in the dub right?

There was no mention of that name in the subtitles in that scene.

If it really was his name it would've shown up in the subtitles. But it didn't.

Now why would a huge piece of information like that be in the English dub but not the original Japanese?

It wouldn't.

So what we have here is a case of an English VA saying his line slightly wrong and fans interpretting it the wrong way. Sorry folks.

(from now on you should really practice watching the scene in Japanese just to double check before jumping to a conclusion. I commend you for listening closely and yes, at first it does sound suspcious and even I believed it for a moment - because that's a lovely case of irony. However, if it's not that way in the subs, it's a mistake or mis-interpretation. There have been other similar incidents of stuff like this in the dub before so it doesn't surprise me)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.