Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic And Giant Robots?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2
The random alchemist
Ok, someone made a topic on another online forum about anime being all the same so I decided to use FMA as an example saying: It has no magic, demon, giant robots, neko people, high school drama, etc...

So someone responses: There's Giant robots and magic in Fullmetal Alchemist

Ok I understand thinking alchemy is magic. But that simply isn't true: alchemy is my definition a science! Also magic requires a spell, potions ya know stuff like Happy Potter uses. Alchemy require true scientific ingredients in order to create a product. Ya can't create a dove from a toads eye and pigs feet: You need the real ingredients that a dove is made of.

But none the less the Giant robot thing is where I get confused. I watched all 51 episodes, the movie and read the first 59 chapters and I saw no giant robots Oo
Did anyone else see any? I'm confussed *scratches head*
Carnal Malefactor
oh dear...
Fushi
The giant robot thing is a referrence to Al.
The random alchemist
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Nov 24 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]477537[/snapback]

probably... poor Al ~.~ He already has to live in a suit of armor now he has to worry about non-fans calling him a robot. How more inhuman can they make the poor guy? D:
Le Monkey
QUOTE(I am random rawr @ Nov 25 2006, 04:29 AM) [snapback]477545[/snapback]
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Nov 24 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]477537[/snapback]

probably... poor Al ~.~ He already has to live in a suit of armor now he has to worry about non-fans calling him a robot. How more inhuman can they make the poor guy? D:

You really take everything to real.. Oo
Im supprised you didnt get the reference to Aru.. altho its to be expected..
Fushi
Yeah. I remember thinking Al was some kind of robot when I first saw pictures for the series. (or some kind of ghost) I've also seen tons of non-fans refer to him as a robot. Even video games critics who were reviewing the games referred to him as 'a robot in a loin cloth'. =/

Mind you tho, he's not a giant robot. In their face.
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
Mind you tho, he's not a giant robot. In their face.

True, dat! *nods*

Apparently when the manga first came out the big wigs at Viz were afraid people would think it was a mecha manga when Arakawa wanted to do a cover with just Al on the front...
Funderful
Giant Robot? [spoiler]Mabye when Archer went terminator on everyone.[/spoiler]

As for Al, It's okay for first time viewers, but I get easily pissed when someone calls him a robot.
He's not a robot! Anyone who's seen the first episode would know that.
Toby-Chan
They were probably confused by Aaron Dimsuke's voice acting.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Nov 25 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]477801[/snapback]
They were probably confused by Aaron Dimsuke's voice acting. reading.

Fixed.
The random alchemist
yeah, turns out this non-fan think it was Al. I sent her a message explaining Al is a kid traped in an old school armored suit and told her if she doesn't believe me she can check anywhere and ask any fan.

None the less she still think alchemy is magic. I'll go to my grave saying it really isn't >< The series clearly states it isn't. Even the description of alchemy on any dictionary or encyclopedia notes it as a science.. even if it really didn't work in our world its still not stupid magic. .__.
Le Monkey
QUOTE(I am random rawr @ Nov 25 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]477807[/snapback]
yeah, turns out this non-fan think it was Al. I sent her a message explaining Al is a kid traped in an old school armored suit and told her if she doesn't believe me she can check anywhere and ask any fan.

None the less she still think alchemy is magic. I'll go to my grave saying it really isn't >< The series clearly states it isn't. Even the description of alchemy on any dictionary or encyclopedia notes it as a science.. even if it really didn't work in our world its still not stupid magic. .__.

laugh.gif
So you were asking for someone else? XD
Get her to watch the serise and if she dosnt want to, she dosnt deserve to know, tongue.gif
The random alchemist
QUOTE(Le Monkey @ Nov 26 2006, 06:41 AM) [snapback]478102[/snapback]

laugh.gif
Get her to watch the serise and if she dosnt want to, she dosnt deserve to know, tongue.gif

that's true... then again I think she might be one of those "all anime is the same and sucks" people : x
Le Monkey
QUOTE(I am random rawr @ Nov 27 2006, 02:24 AM) [snapback]478427[/snapback]
QUOTE(Le Monkey @ Nov 26 2006, 06:41 AM) [snapback]478102[/snapback]

laugh.gif

that's true... then again I think she might be one of those "all anime is the same and sucks" people : x

If so, why dose it matter what she thinks of it? wink.gif
The random alchemist
QUOTE(Le Monkey @ Nov 27 2006, 12:01 AM) [snapback]478517[/snapback]
If so, why dose it matter what she thinks of it? wink.gif

very true wink.gif
Nepharski
I'm fairly certain there's some cosmic rule that every time someone calls Al a giant robot, somewhere an innocent child is being savagely devoured. Soul-bound to armor, people, no "Open the pod bay doors, Al."

As for alchemy, I sort of look on it as scientific "Magic." I've seen it described, and would describe it myself, as a blend of "Science, agic, and art." There's definitely a phenomenal aspect to it, albiet with a scientific backbone.
Reta McClain
I'm fairly certain there's some cosmic rule that every time someone calls Al a giant robot, somewhere an innocent child is being savagely devoured.

Isn't there an avatar which states: "Every time you call Al a robot, God kills a kitten." tongue.gif
Nepharski
QUOTE(Reta McClain @ Nov 27 2006, 10:26 PM) [snapback]478867[/snapback]
I'm fairly certain there's some cosmic rule that every time someone calls Al a giant robot, somewhere an innocent child is being savagely devoured.

Isn't there an avatar which states: "Every time you call Al a robot, God kills a kitten." tongue.gif

That too. Is there no end to this butchery?
Reta McClain

Isn't there an avatar which states: "Every time you call Al a robot, God kills a kitten."

That too. Is there no end to this butchery?

Probably not.

And so this post isn't completely off topic... Alchemy's flashy effects. That is probably why people think it is magic.

(Aaaarrrgg! My "Add Reply" button is dead! If I click it, it shows only blue! I can use only "Fast Reply"! Could someone please help me? )

Nepharski
QUOTE(Reta McClain @ Nov 28 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]478926[/snapback]
(Aaaarrrgg! My "Add Reply" button is dead! If I click it, it shows only blue! I can use only "Fast Reply"! Could someone please help me? )

Skim read, if you please.
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
Hmm... yeah, I guess after all the Harry Potter's and whatnot, everytime someone sees the sparkly lights with alchemy, they automatically correlate it with something that they know - magic. Damn you, human instinct!
Mercy_Alchemist94
This person sounds alot like my mother...

"All japanese animation is violent crap where everyone is beating eachother up and blah blah blah blah BLAH!"

I love her, but it gets so annoying! She's only really seen one anime.

If she is anything like my mother you're never gonna change her mind about anime... >>;; OH WELL! More for you! ^^
Nepharski
Well, strange things can happen. I used to be nearly blind to all Anime till I finally found some good stuff, and since then my taste has grown somewhat sufficiently. A little over a year ago, I would have told you there was no good Anime or Manga in my opinion.

Today, I'm balancing out 11 Animes with 6 Mangas with a strong love of Japanese pop. How's that for am 11th hour plot twist?
Ting
ARGGG hate ie 7 format... I CANT ADDREPLY! anyway...

Al might be a GIANT 'robot' compared to... *hem* Ed~

hmm... it seems its kinda off topic here, but id like to say, that GIRL knows nothing about FMA... Thats what my friends did, they were like:
"AH... I hate anime~ I dont watch anime~ BLAH BLAH"

But then I showed them FMA, and they are obsessed! happy.gif
Toby-Chan
Oh, now I know who you're talking about. (@ the original post)

Leave him alone. He's always hated FMA after watching one episode and reading a Wikipedia article that mentioned there were nazis involved in the movie. Everyone has their bitter hang-ups, (Most of the DA complaints regulars have a recognizable one) and that's his; something about fictional abuse of historical suffering being a disgrace to real history/real victims and whatnot.

So yeah. He likes to rattle off about FMA being the worst anime ever made if ever provoked/seeking an outlet, generally against fantards or anime in general. I've become used to it. His opinion. It's just a show, after all.
The random alchemist
reminds me of when I told my brother about the Nazi thing. He ask something I don't think I can even write here without getting banned about the movie D: I was horrified none the less.

People are really judgemental about anime. they think because cartoons like Pokemon an Yu-gi-oh "suck" that adult good plot anime like Naruto and FMA as this sites about are crap aswell >.>

btw... sorry if I offend any anime Pokemon or Yu-gi-oh fans out there x.x
Toby-Chan
LMAO!

Naruto... = 'adult' anime? XD
The random alchemist
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Nov 29 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]479392[/snapback]
LMAO!

Naruto... = 'adult' anime? XD

well, I meant adult as in I wouldn't let my children watch it (being the original japanese version not the ripped apart english one).
asunder
QUOTE(I am random rawr @ Nov 30 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]479566[/snapback]
well, I meant adult as in I wouldn't let my children watch it (being the original japanese version not the ripped apart english one).

You wouldn't let your children watch an anime marketed at kids? that's messed up.
Nepharski
I'd probably keep my kids from watching Naruto, but for very different reasons.
Toby-Chan
There are plenty of things that are 'marketed at kids' I wouldn't let my kids watch or use.

Bratz dolls for one thing.

For another thing, I'm not as okay with kids being exposed to 'cool violence' as most parents, even american parents, seem to be.

But for that matter, if it came to the point of letting them watch such 'kids shows', I would rather them see it uncut; not out of purism, but because they should at least be reminded that if you're swinging around a sharp object, there's going to be some frigging blood. And that people will die as a result of violence. There is no "Shadow Realm" in real life, sad to say.

But we're getting on another matter entirely.

While Fullmetal Alchemist is marketed to preteens for the most part and thus has elements that are meant to appeal to children, I would rather have a kid be at a point of development where they are able to be more thoughtful about the deeper meaning of things before they watched it, and get them into discussion about the more dark elements that it presents.

But, they'd be better off reading books and going outside in any case.
Nepharski
I think it all depends on what you feel your childrens could handle. People mature at different rates, so what I allowed them to watch, play, or do would reflect where I've seen their maturity is at. If I think they can handle it, I'd give them the go ahead.
asunder
I think this is a good sign of my future bad parenting. Since watching a significant amount of animated violence as a kid didn't significantly affect me, I don't have hesitations when allowing my (future) children to watch anime such as Naruto.
The random alchemist
well I was talking more along the lines of kids under the age of 10 Oo really I don't think a child should watch shows with these violent ninjas with blood, psychopath, and perverts Oo. And yes, when I was a child alot of kids got hurt from watching *le gasp* Pokemon so if I had a little boy or girl watching Naruto last thing I need is him taking a knife and throwing it like a kunai at one of his friends/siblings/relatives.

It is a matter of maturity but I find alot of young kids DO mimic what they see on TV. sometimes phrases said my characters, sometimes actions done my characters.
RoyMustangRox
Even though I love Naruto, I hate to agree with that...FMA isn't as bad because you can mimc using alchemy and nothind would happen...but, if you'd mimic Naruto, you could stab someone (with a "kunai") you could trow something shap (shruiken?) and you could try to jump off a tree, etc.
The random alchemist
QUOTE(RoyMustangRox @ Dec 2 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]480442[/snapback]
Even though I love Naruto, I hate to agree with that...FMA isn't as bad because you can mimc using alchemy and nothind would happen...but, if you'd mimic Naruto, you could stab someone (with a "kunai") you could trow something shap (shruiken?) and you could try to jump off a tree, etc.

Very true. FMA is a bit hard to mimic x.x I've tried to transmute stuff... it doesn't work ;3;
Mercy_Alchemist94
But there are still somethings in FMA that could lead to trouble... Such as fighting styles, and there are some knife throwing. (Hughes)

And let's not forgot Lust's mighty nails, people can stab people with their nails... I know, my sister does it to me all the time. 00 Course the growing five feet long thing would never happen, so we're safe from that. (Can we all say "Ubba duh?" ^__^)

(Also on a side not, because it's a little off subject, being young and seeing hard-core themes can lead to emotional problems... Mature or not. I would wait before letting my kid watch something like Naruto or FMA, like the ages they recomend. {FMA= wait for kid to be 14. Naruto= Wait for kid to be 11...Maybe 12.} The theme of FMA is a little for ME to handle, let alone a 10-year-old.)
The random alchemist
QUOTE(Mercy_Alchemist94 @ Dec 3 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]480524[/snapback]
But there are still somethings in FMA that could lead to trouble... Such as fighting styles, and there are some knife throwing. (Hughes)

And let's not forgot Lust's mighty nails, people can stab people with their nails... I know, my sister does it to me all the time. 00 Course the growing five feet long thing would never happen, so we're safe from that. (Can we all say "Ubba duh?" ^__^)

(Also on a side not, because it's a little off subject, being young and seeing hard-core themes can lead to emotional problems... Mature or not. I would wait before letting my kid watch something like Naruto or FMA, like the ages they recomend. {FMA= wait for kid to be 14. Naruto= Wait for kid to be 11...Maybe 12.} The theme of FMA is a little for ME to handle, let alone a 10-year-old.)

I agree fully *nods*
Kitty Chow
there weren't any giant robots in the series, it was in the movie but there were no giant robots, there were just soldiers wearing armor like what al used to be in when ed put his soul into one...the soldiers from germany were wearing them because they were crossing through the portal to get back to shamballa (or the world which u can use alchemy) because they lived in our world-a world without alchemy...

and o ya, some woman who was the antiprotaganist was learning alchemy in our world but she called it magic TxT
The random alchemist
QUOTE(Kitty Chow @ Dec 18 2006, 11:22 AM) [snapback]485878[/snapback]
there weren't any giant robots in the series, it was in the movie but there were no giant robots, there were just soldiers wearing armor like what al used to be in when ed put his soul into one...the soldiers from germany were wearing them because they were crossing through the portal to get back to shamballa (or the world which u can use alchemy) because they lived in our world-a world without alchemy...

and o ya, some woman who was the antiprotaganist was learning alchemy in our world but she called it magic TxT

yeah, that was eckart or something like that x.x and yeah, this person did believe it was Al... I can't believe when I corrected her another person respond: Armored Suits are pretty much the same as robots....

I think that person is a few fries short of a happy meal T.T
Popogeejo
Armoured Suits are pretty much the same as robots....

It's basically true though.
Robots:
Never sleep,
Never tire,
Obey their masters (or kill them)
Usually want to be human.

Al:
Never sleeps,
Never Tires,
Obeys Ed, Izumi, Winry, whoever.
Wants to be human.

It's easy for people to relate Al to robots. That fact that he isn't doesn't matter a single bit to those who will call him one.
The random alchemist
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Dec 18 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]485908[/snapback]

Robots:
Never sleep,
Never tire,

Al:
Never sleeps,
Never Tires,
Wants to be human.

It's easy for people to relate Al to robots. That fact that he isn't doesn't matter a single bit to those who will call him one.

Not really =/, as read in the title they're talking about giant robots, ya know like Gundams and stuff. Al is a human, just in a bad predicament. I understand associating him with a cyborg (human robots), but he isn't a real robot. Real robots are made by humans for whatever reason. Al was made by a human but.... ya know x.x
Popogeejo
Not really =/, as read in the title they're talking about giant robots, ya know like Gundams and stuff.
Al's over 8 foot tall isn't he? Close enough for most people to consider him giant.

Al is a human, just in a bad predicament.

But that's not going to convince people who want to insist he's a robot.

I understand associating him with a cyborg (human robots),
The difference is lost on the majority of most people.

Real robots are made by humans for whatever reason. Al was made by a human but.... ya know x.x

See the problem now? It doesn't even matter in any conceivable way. It won't change what Al is as a character so who cares if people call him a robot, a cyborg, a pice of Armour or a Bunny rabbit, it won't change anything.
A rose by any other name...
Razzy

Robots:
Never sleep,
Never tire,

Al:
Never sleeps,
Never Tires,
Wants to be human.

Not really. Al is human, and he doesn't obey Ed (he ran away that one time and fought with Ed a few times). He's just really helpful! (I obey people when they ask me to help them.... does that make me a robot??) Al has a soul, and robots don't have souls (well, none of the robots I know have souls).
Amaya Hawkeye
QUOTE(Steel Heart Alchemist @ Dec 18 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]485940[/snapback]

Robots:
Never sleep,
Never tire,

Al:
Never sleeps,
Never Tires,
Wants to be human.

Not really. Al is human, and he doesn't obey Ed (he ran away that one time and fought with Ed a few times). He's just really helpful! (I obey people when they ask me to help them.... does that make me a robot??) Al has a soul, and robots don't have souls (well, none of the robots I know have souls).

Poor Al, wasnt that the point of episode 20? Saying that Al was created, that he was a program just to be a convenience to Ed? He's not a robot. Remember the good old saying "Whenever you call Al a robot, god kills a kitten"

Tell me what god does when someone calls Al "pikachu"..... My dad keeps calling him pikachu when he sees Al's chibi face.... its annoying...
Popogeejo
Al has a soul, and robots don't have souls (well, none of the robots I know have souls).
Prove it. tongue.gif

Al is human, and he doesn't obey Ed (he ran away that one time and fought with Ed a few times).

That's only one point on the list. Still, MOST people will call Al a robot, they will insist he's a robot and nothing we can up with will change that so who gives a crap?

The random alchemist
QUOTE(Amaya Hawkeye @ Dec 18 2006, 04:36 PM) [snapback]485955[/snapback]
Poor Al, wasnt that the point of episode 20? Saying that Al was created, that he was a program just to be a convenience to Ed? He's not a robot. Remember the good old saying "Whenever you call Al a robot, god kills a kitten"

Tell me what god does when someone calls Al "pikachu"..... My dad keeps calling him pikachu when he sees Al's chibi face.... its annoying...

LMAO, actually yesterday my dad was watching FMA with me and thought it was Pokemon. So I pointed to Ed and said "You see that short blond guy. That's Pikachu"

and he believed me xD
Synth Alchemist
I have a theory

-The Giant robots are Alphonse and the robots that have numbers of name( forgot names)

-Magic, it probably says the alchemy

smile.gif
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Kitty Chow @ Dec 18 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]485878[/snapback]

laugh.gif Antiprotagonists are also simply known as "antagonists".
Starrieidgirl
Wow! I'm impressed to see how long this topic went on for.

So now I put in my two cents.

Alchemy is the basis for modern day science, medicine, and chemisty. Chemisty being heavily relied upon in medicine and is a branch of science. Alchemy is possibly the earliest sign of human curiosity, a need for answers. Magic is theortical alchemy/science, the idea of certain phrases, wand movement, or thought control can produce a desired effect. We all know magic is not possible, for many things are easily explained or debunked through science experiments, mathamatics, or just plain common sense.

The usage of alchemy is what has greatly attracted me to this series, much like the idea of a magical world paralleling the present world in Harry Potter.

So here is a thought, when Havoc is explaining to Fury about how Mustang creates the "flames", there is the mention of using alchemy to change the chemisty of the air. Is this due in part to the transmutation circle on his glove (which his left hand never touches), or does Mustang use his mind to alter the air around him? [Leading me to believe that Jedi powers do exist ^-^]

Onto Al...

By appearances, Al does resemble a robot. What we learn from the series is that he is hollow, for his soul is attached to the armor. If we were to open a robot, we would find computer components, wires, whirly-gigs, etcs. This maybe the best way to explain it to those that have a difficult time understanding why Al isn't a "robot."

You could can also state that he is one-third human, the soul, typically thought of as "unseen," is what makes the armor hollow. Therefore, not a "robot."

Okay, I'm done. I hope you all can follow, I, myself, was getting worried at the end. Too much to say with fingers that cannot keep up.

Hugs,
Starrie

PS It'll be interesting to see this thread go on...the nice part of this kind of discussion is that we are able to better educate ourselves and others. [Yay for more FMA fans!]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.