Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where Do You Stand With Marijuana?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Semiotic Alchemist
Hello all my fellow forum members. In here I wanna hear your personal opinions about marijuana, and all the things that go with it. I want to hear its benefits, arguments, and its harmfullness.

Personally, I think that there is nothing wrong with marijuana, seeing as we as a society allow worse things to go by unoticed. Alchohol kills more then marijuana ever does, and it's perfectly legal. Cigarettes of every ilk are easy to get off the shelf. too bad they're bound to kill ya, just for some company to rake in the profit. And wouldn't it be better to spread awareness and make it safer for people, then to remain ignorant and contrary about the whole issue.

Let me hear what you think. If any of you think at all.
Carnal Malefactor
Weed is boring. I'm sure I'm one of the few here who's actually done it, and it's really not a whole lot of fun on its own. There are movies and stuff that it might enhance, but I feel better doing things sober.
Semiotic Alchemist
QUOTE(Void @ Oct 29 2006, 01:18 AM) [snapback]467475[/snapback]

Weed is boring. I'm sure I'm one of the few here who's actually done it, and it's really not a whole lot of fun on its own. There are movies and stuff that it might enhance, but I feel better doing things sober.

True, there is deffinitely a time for everything. But on it's own it is just so relaxing and deep. And for some people it's theraputic.
Carnal Malefactor
There are other things that are therapeutic that won't make you cough like crazy.

I'm not saying, 'don't do it', I'm saying don't go in with high expectations, because you'll be disappointed.
Nepharski
It may come as a shock to some of you, but I have little actual inturpretation for this. Yes, Neph is open minded and not beating around the bush. Marijuana can be as harmful as any other non-countertop drug, but I've heard (not confirmed) it's been used for medical purposes to good effect. But there is more to consider.

Alcohol has killed many, yes, but in small doses can be good for you (I've heard of people having a glass of wine a day for their health). The best arguement I've heard for marijuna seemed to revolve endlessly around "taking away the pain." Eyebrow raise. Certainly there can be other methods.

Cigars, cigarettes, pipes, and so on and so forth have no benefit whatsoever and seem to be aquired tastes, usually brought on by people who have themselves had to aquire it from other people.

In the end, though, I have to ask: how many people really want to legalize it just for medical purposes, and how many people would really want to use it that way. I'd wager a fair share of people would leap at the chance to get doped up, though I doubt they'd know what they're doing (A la' Void).

Of course, if any of you have further arguements for or agianst marijuna, I'd love to hear them.
Popogeejo
I just don't like smoking so I've tried weed. I probably would once, just to see what it was like (I don't apply this method to everything I haven't tried).

I'll sit back and watch my friends smoke away without complaining. It's up to them.

I don't think it should be legalised as such. Make it medicinal but don't just make it fully available. It should probably be like tobacco but probably a bit more cheaper (it messes with your head but I have been told there's less nasty crap that's found in normal smokes.)
Chiyo
Been there done that.

Well not to a great extent, I don't smoke so I only got it 'second hand' that way...and that wasn't desired. The other way I chose to try some was in a cake, oddly that one of the lads mothers made. I guess I ended up giggling a lot but nothing that sugar and alcohol won't do. Its not something I'd go back to nowadays anyway...though it made a school day pass with great ease.

I think its 'demonized' so much as its the most common drug to take (bar cigarettes and alcohol). Although taking too much all the time can lead to long term illness, I don't see the problem with a little here and there. Just like alcohol its addiction that the issue, not everyone gets addicted.

However, don't go out and take it kiddies....more then anything its not really worth the risk.
Lysander
I guess a little here and there is fine and if it's being used for medicinal purposes by all means, but what I'm against is that long term users have a tendency to get violent when they want it and someone could be seriously injured. unsure.gif

As for trying to make it legal, why bother? People will still do it legal or illegal. But it would be nice if they controlled the flow of it.
Semiotic Alchemist
Void
There are other things that are therapeutic that won't make you cough like crazy.

I'm not saying, 'don't do it', I'm saying don't go in with high expectations, because you'll be disappointed.

Well idunno about other therapeutics, like glaucoma seems to be a good instance. It does alot for sufferers, things that Dr prescribed drugs can't. And as for coughin that's just for the seasoned abusers; a little every two weeks won't make you cough although it is for sure damaging them.
And as a matter of fact, I disagree with the last point. Don't 'go in' with any expectations. For a trial, one should be prepared for anything and the first encounter (should you even chose to for whatever reason) should be like a test drive just to see what you think of it, not what you've heard from others. It's like alchohol in the way that it affects everyone a little differently.

Nepharski Those are good points, yes it's said a glass of red wine a day can help your health (I think it's heart). But that falls into basic toxicology right? Dose is all that draws the line between death and beneficial. Too much water can possibly kill you, too much air can even kill you. A small amount of influenza virus in your system (flu shot) can possibly keep you imune for the whole winter season. The theme here is, everything in moderation. Yes marijuana can be bad but it can also be good. It only takes away pain yes, but pain that some modern medecines can't reach. It can pacify an epileptic, it can relax a paraplegic. And if it were decriminalized then the honest people whose lives could be made so much more functional can obtain their cure without being afraid day and night of being caught.

Popo Yes, decriminalized is different from legalized. There would be boundaries on it. It deffinitely does mess with your head, and usually one must be levelheaded in order to not be consumed by it. Sort of like alchoholism and addictiveness. But usually the burnouts who end up losing their lives to drugs, were prone to do so in the first place you know? There is responsable usage. But I find it funny. Comparing cigarettes to marijuana. The nicotine alone in cigarettes is ten times more addictive then THC. And cigarettes are further manufactured to be addictive. And take a moment and think about it. What good has a cigarette EVER done for anyone? Any amount of good. None in my opinion. Except for a small hit of a dizzy spell. Which goes away shortly after the habit continues. Marijuana (MJ) does so much more, and is more natural then the tar and "flavour" you'll find in cigarettes.
(boy this one's long)
and Idunno about people being violent . . . that sort of behaviour is usually inherent in their own character, not effects of the drug, but still fueled by their addiciton and mental wall telling them they can't live without it.
And if you're looking for an energetic experience then by all means go for sugar, and if you desire to lose all control and inhibitions, make a complete ass of yourself, possibly throw up your guts, and kill your brain cells sperm and kidneys then chose alchohol, and see how much you need til you can't stand let alone speak or function in any useful way. But MJ (although it does also kill brain cells, sperm, and your lungs) keeps you in control. After about three hours it's all done. Poof right back to where you were. And it's such a creative release, and just makes you feel good. I still do not advocate it's usage though, because if not clinically needed, most users are abusers which is sad. I once read an article about a pair of parents who habitually smoked MJ, and held down they're high end jobs and had a well functioning family of two kids(Mcleans magazine in Canada), and they had actually explained to the kids about the drug. just like having a sex talk. It clarified lots for the two kids, preteen and postteen, and they could responsibly partake in MJ. Whereas now, most of the kids do it (usually alonside cigarettes) more out of rebellious youthfullness, or peer pressure. And this is becoming a problem, seeing as the majority of first timers are now on Average in grade 6 sad.gif What possible moral decisions can a grade 6 make towards something like this without the aid of their parents. Awareness is very important, yet is being neglected mostly because the "If we ignore it it'll go away" approach is easier.
Nepharski
Valid points, Semiotic Alchemist. I would think if they legalized it, however, it would strictly be on a medical counter-top basis, so "Fear of being caught" would be a rather odd thing for you to say.
Semiotic Alchemist
Well yes, but that wouldn't be legalizing it, decriminalizing it would would make it medical over the counter. I meant more, the people who use medicinally right (in Canada and the US at least) could be prosecuted for the possession of it, of any amount as it stands. And it has happened in the past where Canadians have gone to jail for 15 years or more for possesion and cultivating, so yes in a way they are scared of being caught now because it is still illegal. If the gov. said that your DR could issue you a legal perscrition to it, then they could rest a little easier.
Nepharski
Ah, I see, I see.

Then I suppose Marijuana could be legalized under a medical backing and discrimination process. Preferably temporary, though. Eventually we should be able to find a way to work around the "some modern medecines can't reach" problem at hand.
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Void @ Oct 29 2006, 01:18 AM) [snapback]467475[/snapback]

True, its really pointless to do it alone. Its really a social activity (if your going to do it all) It all really depends on the person doing it, and what your doing while your on it.

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Oct 29 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]467586[/snapback]
I just don't like smoking so
I don't think it should be legalised as such. Make it medicinal but don't just make it fully available. It should probably be like tobacco but probably a bit more cheaper (it messes with your head but I have been told there's less nasty crap that's found in normal smokes.)

Of course there is less nasty crap in weed than 'normal smokes' have you looked/seen the shit that they put in cancer sticks? Nasty shit...
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I'm not going to vote in the poll because there is not option supporting medical use or the wasting of tax dollars. Plus your options are biased.
QUOTE(Bacon)

You don't have to smoke to it use it. It can be used in a vaporizor, in edibles such as candy, baked goods and cooked into other foods. You can also buy tintures and pills so the smoking thing is out the window.

QUOTE(Lysander)
I guess a little here and there is fine and if it's being used for medicinal purposes by all means, but what I'm against is that long term users have a tendency to get violent when they want it and someone could be seriously injured

First of all, people on marijuana do not get violent unless it's like Popo said, the people were already pre-disposed to violence. You are thinking of drugs like meth and heroin.

I think it should be legalized period. #1 for medical use since studies have shown how much good it can do for people. There was a study a few years back done on people who were HIV positive and on all these awful drugs to keep it in check. These patients suffered from nausea and vomiting and couldn't keep weight on but when they took MJ it counteracted the nausia and they were able to have an appetite and gained weight.

I have a perscription for my migranes and insomnia and it has helped me considerably in those areas. Now before you all say "go buy some sleeping pills" let me tell you they suck. I tried them once and was groggy the next day for the rest of the day, I felt like I was in a deep fog dragging a rock behind me. When I use MJ I sleep then wake up and only feel like I've had a good nights rest. As for the migranes, if anybody here has every had a migrane then they know how quickly you want it to go away. Smoking pot has an instantaneous effect where a pill can take several hours to take effect, meanwhile you're curled up in a fetal position wishing for death while the asprin takes it's sweet time to work it's way through the bloodstream. Also, just having the THC in your system will help cut down on having migranes at all which has been my experience. Marijuana has been used for medical purposes for hundred of years while over the counter drugs have been maybe used for the last 20-50 and are made up of man made chemicals.

As for recreation. So what if people want to smoke some pot, eat a bag of cheetos and watch a movie. Who are they harming? Marijuana is non-toxic so you can't overdose so aside from smoking they aren't even harming themselves. I know pleanty of people who smoke and still work their 40 hours a week, pay their bills and are productive members of society. If you think making it legal will just encourage people to do it think again. Some here in this thread have already said they tried it and was not impressed why would that attitude change? People will not start abusing it anymore more than they already abuse drugs such as vicodin, valium, oxyconton and over the counter drugs such as cough syrup. People even become addicted to asprin.

Obviously keeping it illegal will do nothing but make the pockets of drug dealers fat while wasting our tax dollars while police have to raid pot farms and busting pot heads. The police are sick of it too, many cops here in CA will mearly confiscate someones pot and let them go if they even do that. It should be legalized and taxed so we can start making money off it instead of wasting money trying to get rid of it.

It's been around of centuries, it's not going anywhere.

Article of interest
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Envy's lil...)
Plus your options are biased.

Are you calling this could be Biased?:
Hippie. Can't live without it.
rolleyes.gif Personaly, I don' see it tongue.gif

QUOTE(Envy's lil...)
First of all, people on marijuana do not get violent unless it's like Popo said, the people were already pre-disposed to violence.

I agree with that but all I said was that it can mess with your head, even then it's uncommon.
Violent people will always be violent. Weed would probably calm them down for the most part.

I see no real reason not to legalize it other than it may increase the amount of people smoking it. Weed can still cause health problems, just not as much as cigs or other drugs.
If it was fully legalized it should be just above or below the same level as cigs.
As I'm uniformed on of the full effects of weed I'll go on hearsay an say it should be available to people 16 and over. It should probably have health warnings though...
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Show me an article stating it causes health problems. I haven't even found anything to support smoking it is harmful the same way that smoking tobacco is. Yes, you cough after smoking but with all the pot smoking hippies I've met none of them have experienced the same loss of breath or long term coughing that tobacco smokers have and that's with 20+ years of heavy use. I've never run across an article stating there were long term effects from smoking pot.

One that wasn't biased against pot anyway. But those sites make assinine claims to begin with.
Popogeejo
Show me an article stating it causes health problems.

Most of the info I've got was from school and therefore extremely biased and probably out of date. The health problems weren't even that bad. Blood shot eyes and a slightly fuzzy memory in later life is hardly a problem.
I don't have any articles at hand and I honestly think if Marijuana does cause any problems they will probably be nothing remotely severe.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
They came out with a study a few years back that it in fact does not have long term effects on memory, just short term. Blood shot eyes, visine baby!

If I find the article I'll post it. It was in the paper so I think it's safe to say it's pretty non-biased.
Popogeejo
Thanks. I'm probably the least educated 18 year old on Earth (yay for exagerating) when it comes to drugs.
Chiyo
I heard somewhere they believe taking it too much can be connected to schizophrenia, but frankly many things are used to blame something else with little connection.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
That's meth that causes, or rather brings out, schizophrenia and other psycological disorders.
Slashrose1010
I think that MJ should be explored as medicine if people really want to. I don't think that the government should stop it, especially if it truly has more good qualities than bad. I did a research paper on it last year (not a very good one, but a research paper nonetheless) and I found that I think pot is OK to explore as medicine. Like Mini already stated, you don't even have to smoke it to gain benefits from it. Of course, if we were actually allowed to research it medically, we would find out how much potential marijuana really has as medicine, but that's not the case in the States right now. Why not research it? The only reason people are adverse to even trying it for medical purposes is because it is illegal as of now and has been demonized through the government and media. Yes, all drugs can have bad effects if used improperly, but honing the medicinal essences in marijuana can potentially be very beneficial.

As for legal issues, illegalizing marijuana does nothing but wastes tax dollars. I think it would be better to try and regulate it. Going off of what Mini and Popo have said, it definitely is not the worst drug for anyone, whether it be the abuser or someone around them. It makes you sedated if anything, unlike alcohol, which was prohibited and proved to be a monumental failure. Plus, it could help drive the economy. Which is good for everyone. Also, tobacco is legal and harms your health many folds over because of the extra chemicals, toxins etc added, and each cigarette is far more compact that hand-rolled blunts, so you get a higher "dosage", if you will, of tobacco in a cigarette than you do in a joint. I am not saying at all that marijuana should truly be commercialized in a way that tobacco is, but I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if it were legalized.

Pot may alter your functions etc, but I think it is good idea to research it medically over all. But I am a little more conservative when it comes to recreational use because bad things could potentially happen, like being high while driving etc.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I still think that medical marijuana is not embraced by the pharmacutical industry because it's cheap to produce and people can grow it themselves therefore the industry stands to lose money. They would rather people take some kind of chemical they can charge $20 a pill for. It has nothing to do with marijuana being good or bad it's a money issue.
Slashrose1010
Oh yeah... I tend to be naive and forget things... I know the pharmaceutical industry is pretty currupt and junk, like many other corporations. My cousin is a doctor, I forget what field exactly, but a very popular allergy medicine me thinks (perhaps some type or Allegra or something?) anyway, it turned out to be pretty much nothing more than a placebo, and the company had already made millions off of it. I don't think any extreme consequences came of it...

I'm not saying all companies and junk in pharmaceuticals are like that. Good does come out of it, but it is a business and many companies do it for the money, rather than truly helping people.
Chiyo
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s777336.htm

I knew I wasn't making it up, it has been discussed.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
That's interesting but I have a feeling Mark was already schitzo before smoking since he was having such severe effects but then again not everybody can smoke pot just like everybody cannot take certin herbs or over the counter drugs. I've even heard of some people being allergic to it.

I agree with the researchers that teenagers should not be using it unless perscribed. Well I said the perscribed part.
Chiyo
Mmm although I posted to show its studied I don't think it causes schizophrenia...rather more encourages it in those who are more likely to get it. Chemical reactionsin the brain and such.

I hadn't heard of it as an alergy but I supoose makes sense it could be to some.
Semiotic Alchemist
I'm gone for a day and this happens, stealing my thunder smile.gif
(and my cred) and as for the poll options, I tried to balance out the extremes and gray areas. I guess the medical option would be option 2?

Even I'm am being enlightened, I'm happy I started this thread. And yes Mini I too suffer from the occasional migraine, (and not just a really bad headache) it can be vicious, but not as much lately smile.gif And I find it interesting that you use MJ to help your insomnia.
I also like in the article posted before; and I've heard this before, that they say the cells that MJ does kill, Are(or can be) beneficial in preventing their chances of turing cancerous. Which is the opposite of most preconceptions.

but as for the Catalyst article I think it is just like someone said before, it's easy to make up a link betweent ow things. I'm sure it isn;t alie that the prefrontal cortex and the cerebellum, or more acurately the complex thinking sections of the brain are affected by both schizo and MJ, but it doesn't mean they are directly correlated. If this was the case then half the "young heavy dope smokers" I know should be schizo by now. Especially if in Mark's case he only needed 10 months worth at the age of 16. They basicly say look at this: this is your brain on weed, this is your brain when schizo. don;t the pretty MRI scans look similar?

And Popo's eighteen . . . ?
quiddityofquid
Well I saw this thread and came into it with practically an entire rant planned out, and then found out that Mini already said all of it...

Another point for legalizing marijuana is that being locked up for 2 years because you grow a marijuana plant to smoke for your migraines or something is ridiculous. It's not harming anyone, in fact, it's actually helping your health.

Oh, and, almost off topic, a fun game from people who agree.
Nepharski
Quid, I'd hardly say it's "Helping your health." At most, it works to dull pain and such, calming the senses and so forth.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Something of interest.
O'Shaughnessy's

This is a medical journal about medial marijuana which includes some studies. Interesting stuff.

And for fun.
Very important potheads
Carnal Malefactor
"I believe pot should not only be legal, but mandatory." - Bill Hicks
esrz22
I support marijuana legalization. It's less harmful than alcohol overal, or so I've read.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Two professors in Canada allowed to medicate on the job.

It's a step in the right direction.
Nzm
Marijuana can be harmful, but not more than alcohol or cigarettes which are 100% legal. Ofcourse, it gets you high but ethanol and nicotine can get you high too. Actually, even caffeine can.

Also, all the drugs should be LEGALIZED (not only decriminalized). I know that many of them are extremely harmful (for example herion), but legalization would make it easier to heal the addicts (who take drugs even if they are forbidden) and would minimalize the dangers connected with drug dealers (gang would loose source of income, like after alcohol legalization after US prohibition; you'll be sure that you buy drug, not simple poision; you wouldn't have to sell your house, wife and dog to to buy a few more doses)
HannahBlack09
Marijuana should be legalized, remember that mostly is the whole "forbidden" that makes it more attractive, drug dealers would have to pay taxes, blah blah blah.. and you know that just because its legalized, it wont do any good..

sweety_pie
QUOTE (Nzm @ Jul 16 2009, 07:02 AM) *
Marijuana can be harmful, but not more than alcohol or cigarettes which are 100% legal. Ofcourse, it gets you high but ethanol and nicotine can get you high too. Actually, even caffeine can.

Actually alcohol and cigarettes aren't 100% legal. If you're under the age of 18 in America it's illegal to buy them. I would say tobacco-about 80% legal, alcohol - about 78.5% legal in America. (just a guess on those figures)
They say that for every joint a person smokes is five times more likely to cause cancer than one ciggerette.
Also a ciggerett buzz and being drunk is absolutley nothing like being high. You know of anybody who has forgotten their whole nights activities from smoking a couple ciggerettes, maybe drinking to many beers yes but not ciggerettes or caffiene.
And drunk driving versus high on weed driving being worse, I totally agree with that. But the US already tried the whole alcohol=totally illegal thing and let me say Epic Fail. It lead to rapid organized crime in America.

Also, all the drugs should be LEGALIZED (not only decriminalized). I know that many of them are extremely harmful (for example herion), but legalization would make it easier to heal the addicts (who take drugs even if they are forbidden) and would minimalize the dangers connected with drug dealers (gang would loose source of income, like after alcohol legalization after US prohibition;

What happens when/ if marijuana is completely legal along with all those other terrible drugs which you think are better off being allowed. You think all those drug dealers have college diplomas or something better to fall back on when that happens? Most likely not or they would already be doing it. Theyll turn to something else that they do know or could learn quickly that would make them lots of money like pot did. (robbery, slave trade, sex slave trade) that stuff sound better than selling pot? How do you think the criminals that sold alcohol made a living after it was legalized? Not still selling alcohol. With all the taxes on that stuff it wasn't the same. They moved on to pot, lsd, heroin, crack, etc. to make the big bucks like they were.

you'll be sure that you buy drug, not simple poision; you wouldn't have to sell your house, wife and dog to to buy a few more doses)

I recall a couple years ago some bad spinache got out, I don't remember if anyone died but quite a few got sick, what makes you so sure you won't get poisoned from drugs just because the government is involved. Ecoli is poisonous, is it not? What about all those ads on tv telling you that you can get compensation for injury or death of a loved one for taking medications that turned out to be harmful? Isn't prescription medication regulated? Accidents can still happen though. Just because the government is involved doesn't mean it will be totally safe. Also, what makes you think pot would be the same price it is now if it was legal? The government is always needing more money.You would at least have to sell your house and wife just to buy a couple ounces after all the hefty taxes the man puts on your baggie. (just like with ciggerette/alcohol taxes) Keep the dog though, no one likes to smoke alone.
Nzm
Also a ciggerett buzz and being drunk is absolutley nothing like being high. You know of anybody who has forgotten their whole nights activities from smoking a couple ciggerettes, maybe drinking to many beers yes but not ciggerettes or caffiene.

After drinking too much you are very likely to forget what you were doing. About stuff like nicotine or caffeine: yes, their psychoactive effect is mild. But it still exists. And if you really want to, you can get high with very big doses of it (for example, very big doses of caffeine may cause euphoria, chaotic thinking and nervous reactions).
And drunk driving versus high on weed driving being worse, I totally agree with that. But the US already tried the whole alcohol=totally illegal thing and let me say Epic Fail. It lead to rapid organized crime in America.

And drug delegalization effects were the same. You know, in XIX century and before drugs were legal - even pope Leo XIII was drinking coca wine. And guess what, he wasn't a junkie - this form of taking cocaine was quite safe, similarly to chewing coca leaves, was much safer than snorting it or smoking crack.
What happens when/ if marijuana is completely legal along with all those other terrible drugs which you think are better off being allowed. You think all those drug dealers have college diplomas or something better to fall back on when that happens? Most likely not or they would already be doing it. Theyll turn to something else that they do know or could learn quickly that would make them lots of money like pot did. (robbery, slave trade, sex slave trade) that stuff sound better than selling pot? How do you think the criminals that sold alcohol made a living after it was legalized? Not still selling alcohol. With all the taxes on that stuff it wasn't the same. They moved on to pot, lsd, heroin, crack, etc. to make the big bucks like they were.

Crime has always existed and will always exist. But psychoactive substance prohibition means giving them an easy source of income. Alcohol was easy to make, now when it's legal they can easily make amphetamine (as chemical synthesis of it is very easy) or plant marijuana, as well as create more complicated stuff to gain more money. And when they have this money, they have more influence, better weapons etc. Drugs are their main source of income (just like alcohol was) so legalization will simply cause them to have less money (ofcourse, theft, murder, slave treade etc. will still exist, but it's not so easy to get rich with it - if you have enough patience, from a few seeds you may start a palntation which after a few years will be worth more than one million dollars).
I recall a couple years ago some bad spinache got out, I don't remember if anyone died but quite a few got sick, what makes you so sure you won't get poisoned from drugs just because the government is involved. Ecoli is poisonous, is it not? What about all those ads on tv telling you that you can get compensation for injury or death of a loved one for taking medications that turned out to be harmful? Isn't prescription medication regulated? Accidents can still happen though.

It's less probable to buy something legal and piosoned than illegal and poisoned. Because when you buy something legally, you can tell the police if it's piosoned (if you buy something illegally, police will arrest you for buying it). Press will know about the case and the company will become infamous and no-one will buy their products. Also, read more about alcohol prohibbition. When it was illegal, people were producing it, for example, in bathtubs, dissolving it in water to cheat on the buyers etc. Because they both couldn't achieve better conditions of producing it (because it was too risky to buy proffesional distillery machines when police could take it from you) and had no interest in it (because no-one asked about how it was produced and there was absolutely no alternative). And now, does any big alcohol company produce alcohol in a bathtub?
Just because the government is involved doesn't mean it will be totally safe. Also, what makes you think pot would be the same price it is now if it was legal? The government is always needing more money.You would at least have to sell your house and wife just to buy a couple ounces after all the hefty taxes the man puts on your baggie. (just like with ciggerette/alcohol taxes) Keep the dog though, no one likes to smoke alone.

You don't seem to understand my ideology. I am libertarian, I support minimalization or removal of goverment in spite of free market system. If there are no taxes on pot, price is lower. Also, alcohol even with taxes became cheaper when it became legal.
Snows of Yester-Year
Hm. Personally I have no interest in smoking it, but I still think it should be legalized. Take a look at Prohibition in the US; all it did was encourage and perpetuate organized crime as well as the illegal distribution of alcohol. It did next to nothing to limit the consumption of alcohol, it just sent it underground. I think we see something similar playing out with the war on drugs, and, well...prohibition didn't work. It was repealed because it didn't work. I don't see bans on drugs being any more successful :/ I understand that some drugs are much more dangerous than alcohol, but I don't believe marijuana is in that class.
Disasterpiece
btw, weed is not physically addictive in the same way that nicotine is but is psychologically addictive.
Night Watcher Alchemist
I've met people with relatives that died doing drugs, including marijuana, and one of my friends has a sister who's on it.

I fear for what may happen, and people think that it's okay to watch people die of it, and think that it won't happen to them? They're a bunch of morons, and would only get lucky.

As for criminal charges, I have one thing to say: they made drugs illegal for a reason. So, if you buy, use, or sell marijuana, good luck avoiding the cops; you're gonna need it!
Popogeejo
As for criminal charges, I have one thing to say: they made drugs illegal for a reason. So, if you buy, use, or sell marijuana, good luck avoiding the cops; you're gonna need it!

Inter-racial relationships used to be illegal. Alcohol used to be illegal. Weed isn't even all that illegal in it's current state in the US. You can get it for medicinal purposes. In some countries it's just there; legal to buy like any other tobacco.

If you saw people dying from drugs it is highly unlikely that it was the weed that did it. Marijuana is one of the safest narcotics out there, even the nasty, more potent versions like skunk.
Disasterpiece
I've been around friends who were high.

Not fun. They lit up and drove to meet me somewhere and were just not themselves. Thank god that I was sober or they would have done stupid .... in the parking lot.....like park sideways in a space.

Even if we do regulate it and even if it can get on the market, do you have any idea how hard it will be to regulate it? People will simply grow their own weed and the weed business will crumble, not to mention drug cartels pushing businesses (this is all assuming weed will be sold legally)

As for health issues, ANY SMOKE YOU INHALE WILL HARM YOU.
Popogeejo
Even if we do regulate it and even if it can get on the market, do you have any idea how hard it will be to regulate it? People will simply grow their own weed and the weed business will crumble, not to mention drug cartels pushing businesses (this is all assuming weed will be sold legally)

You mean like how so many people grow their own tobacco and brew their own alcohol? Lord knows the cigarette and beer companies have well and truly crumbled.
As for Drug Cartels stomping on any attempts at regulation; Drug cartels have little to no interest in pot. It's not all that profitable considering how easy it is for local dealers to grow. You'll note that Amsterdam has been doing pretty well and even in the USA there are legal shops that sell loads of pot in a wide range of forms. You can get pot-beer, pot-lolipops and pot-chocolate. They're all doing pretty good business as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.