Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Samurai Deeper Kyo
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga > Let's discuss your fav manga series here!
DarkWater Alchemist
Anyone of you who reads this manga? I'm reading it now (I even buy them, in french, because there is no other way) and it's really good. I like the style and the story, it has really good characters. (my avatar is one of the bad guys)
It puts up so many questions without answering them soon, which makes you want to read on all the time.

Well I'm curious if this manga is known among members here.

(OT: I've also seen the anime, and it has been changed so much it isn't like the manga at all... They even made every human that dies into some monster. That sounds like censoring mad.gif Really, the only good thing in the anime is the use of colors in the background *cries*)

(Source: wiki, Samurai Deeper Kyo)

Genre Chanbara, Supernatural
Written by Akimine Kamijyo
Published by Kodansha
English publisher Canada United Kingdom United States: Tokyopop
Demographic Shōnen
Magazine Weekly Shōnen Magazine
Original run October 15, 1999 May 10, 2006
Volumes 38 (List of volumes)

Samurai Deeper Kyo is a manga series written and illustrated by Akimine Kamijyo. The manga was serialized from October 15, 1999 to May 10, 2006 in Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine, and collected over 38 volumes.

Samurai Deeper Kyo follows the story of Demon Eyes Kyo (鬼目の狂) as he seeks to regain his body after his soul was sealed inside the body of his rival, Mibu Kyoshiro. Kyo is joined in his search by the bounty-hunter Shiina Yuya, the heir to the Tokugawa shogunate Benitora, and Sanada Yukimura, a known rival of the Tokugawa.

As of December 2009[update], 34 volumes had been released in the United States and Canada by Tokyopop, at which point Tokyopop dropped the series; it was picked up by Del Rey, who have released volumes 35 and 36 in a single volume and will be releasing the final two volumes in a second single volume. The series has also been released in Denmark, England, France, Germany, Indonesia, Singapore and Spain. It has also been adapted as a Game Boy Advance video game, released in Japan in late 2002. It was later released in North America in February 2008, as the last title for the system.

(Source: MangaFox)

Years of Released: 1999
Author: Kamijyo Akimine
Artist: Kamijyo Akimine
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Historical, Martial Arts, Romance, Shounen

Summary
At the dawn of the 17th century, at the end of the era of civil wars, in a world of chaos, the epic Battle of Sekigahara was joined. One man emerged from the largest battle ever fought on Japanese soil; a terrible warrior of unspeakable power, he was nicknamed 'the unconquerable.'
Kyoshiro is a peaceful medicine peddler who harbors the soul of an assassin. He accompanies a young bounty hunter across Japan in search of a murderer and on a quest to discover the terrible secret of his own identity.

Sycia
YES~ *Raises hand*

Love the manga. It's the first manga I've ever really read. :X

The anime is.... not for fans of the manga. I wanted to kill the director for making it the way it was, but then again I'm biased because I've known the manga.

Even made a personality quiz on it. ^o^

It's quite a popular manga over here, particularly among girls...

P.S: Shinrei (the guy in your avatar) isn't bad! He's just... hmm.... doing right things the wrong way... :X
DarkWater Alchemist
yeah, what he does is the right thing for himself. Poor guy... *hugs Shinrei*
Don't spoil me! I'm only at volume 17 (soon) tongue.gif
Thievesvinegar
how many volumes are out?

does anyone know which volume does yukimura pop up?
Sycia
@DarkWater Alchemist - Not spoiling~ ^_^

I dunno, even with his first appearance, I knew he just wasn't the same as the other baddies. ^_^

Shinrei and Hotaru are muh favorite characters along with Kyoshiro~

Waiting for volume 29~~~

@Thievesvinegar -28 at present~

I think it's the 3rd volume, after Benitora joins Yuya and Kyo... If not, it's the 2nd...

Sorry I can't confirm it... #01 - #18 isn't with me at the moment. >_<

It's been here quite some time. o_O
DarkWater Alchemist
It's the third volume. I only know you can find the anime on www.kickassanime.tk... but the manga is better, so I hope you can find it smile.gif

DWA
Strenathan
Oddly enough I too read samurai deeper. This is somwhat noteworthy because i live here in the middle of nowhere in Finland smile.gif
I have managed to get my hand on volumes 1-3 and am waiting to get more at christmas
Shoko
Yeah, I'veread them. I'm on the tenth... Just finished, actually ^^ I buy them too...
Quistis88
I've read up to the 9th volume and don't really remember what happens (I read them before I give them to my friend, because she gives me the money to buy them for her). Is 10 any good? Cliffhangers?
Sycia
It's getting a little stale of late... fight fight fight fight... and... fight... o_O

Well I like the various supporting characters the manga has. happy.gif I'd say the fights are getting a little predictable at... volume #29, but well, the characters are still weird enough to keep me interested.

.... or my expectations of a anime / manga just shot sky-high after seeing FMA... ohmy.gif
DarkWater Alchemist
Do you mean when they're dealing with the guardians of the gates? (curse the french translators for translating too many names!)

It's true that it's alot fighting there...

Quistis: Volume 10 is interesting, you get some good information and a new character is introduced.
Sycia
:O

My... my... I just went out just now and dropped by a convenience store to read the latest chapter of SDK in the weekly comic compilation. I'm sick and tired of long-drawn out battles as it is, but THIS chapter had a bit of a surprise, and it was somewhat touching... ^___^ All I'll say is... Kyoshiro is my favorite character at the moment. ^______^
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)

PS: I think this will be out in volume 31.
Jaganshi
This manga reminds me alot of Kenshin, but anyway......I love Benitora^_^. He looks alot like Chichiri, from Fushigi Yuugi. ----->-----> See?

Amazing and or Creepy, right?
Asakura_yoh
QUOTE (Jaganshi @ Dec 26 2004, 05:05 AM)
This manga reminds me alot of Kenshin

It does? I didn't know that *cough* maybe they really do look alike in some ways

QUOTE (Sycia @ Dec 22 2004, 07:51 AM)
ohmy.gif

My... my... I just went out just now and dropped by a convenience store to read the latest chapter of SDK in the weekly comic compilation. I'm sick and tired of long-drawn out battles as it is, but THIS chapter had a bit of a surprise, and it was somewhat touching... ^___^ All I'll say is... Kyoshiro is my favorite character at the moment. ^______^
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('65ce5686f0c4524e585d7120ca7cc20a')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="65ce5686f0c4524e585d7120ca7cc20a" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->Seems like Yuya is the only one who can reach out to our man behind the face~<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->

PS: I think this will be out in volume 31.

Ooooh... *does not look* I don't want to be spoilered... 31... I'll have to wait such a long time before I can read that sad.gif

I've never read Kenshin either, but I could look at it when I visit my manga shop next time biggrin.gif
Sycia
QUOTE (Jaganshi @ Dec 26 2004, 05:05 AM)
This manga reminds me alot of Kenshin

I never read Kenshin before, but I did compare it with my best friend (who's a fan of the Kenshin manga) and indeed... o_O the similiarities are scary. Especially when you compare the 1 books of each series...

Hmmm... a little painful actually~

Anyway, I think the editors must be pestering the manga artist... for the past 3 volumes (weekly compilations), there've been MAJOR twists, turns, appearances of important characters etc... O_O YAY! happy.gif There's a LOT to look forward to~
Kitoky
Why does Samurai Deeper Kyo remind me so much of Kenshin?
DarkWater Alchemist
Yay! I still need to wait a long time, but hey, there are so many mangas to read...

Kitoky, because it has samurai? sleep.gif
I'll read Kenshin once... I will.
Jaganshi
Well it reminds me of Kenshin because Both of the main characters are kinda stupid, but they both have evil-y mean type alter egos.

Then theirs the girls, Kaoru and Yuya, who are both strong and they both push the main characters around alot.

And theres Sanosuke and Benitora, who both tried to kill the main characters in the beganing, then became friends with them and stayed/traveled with them.

The main story line isn't really the same, but the characters have alot in common.
nezz
QUOTE(Jaganshi @ Jan 25 2005, 09:22 AM)
Well it reminds me of Kenshin because Both of the main characters are kinda stupid, but they both have evil-y mean type alter egos.

Then theirs the girls, Kaoru and Yuya, who are both strong and they both push the main characters around alot.

And theres Sanosuke and Benitora, who both tried to kill the main characters in the beganing, then became friends with them and stayed/traveled with them.

The main story line isn't really the same, but the characters have alot in common.
[snapback]97088[/snapback]

yip.nod.nod

actually some RK fans even accused SDK 4 plagerizing. some of the fighting techniques r even the same....

kenshin's doryusen........kyo's muzuchi (forgive my spelling error, can't really remember the names well)....etc. there r few more examples but i just cannot remember the names of those techniques...lolz

yet, i really love SDK.......can't wait 4 the 32v!!!!! biggrin.gif

1 more thing....i hate the anime!
DarkWater Alchemist
QUOTE (nezz @ Jan 26 2005, 07:14 AM) *
yip.nod.nod

actually some RK fans even accused SDK 4 plagerizing. some of the fighting techniques r even the same....

kenshin's doryusen........kyo's muzuchi (forgive my spelling error, can't really remember the names well)....etc. there r few more examples but i just cannot remember the names of those techniques...lolz

lol, I never knew it would even have the same fighting techniques... unnless, they exist, then it would be natural. But don't think the Mizuchi was a real technique biggrin.gif

However, I wouldn't say that Kyoshiro is stupid... he kinda acted stupid in the first volumes. Probably the relationship between the alter egos is different in sdk and Kenshin...

And, I just got vol 19 ^^ Woooh!

I've been looking into the first kenshin vol, and it seems some things are alike. Kenshin is way too cute with those big eyes of his laugh.gif
Elderberry
Hmm...I never thought of that...I love both series, though~ laugh.gif

Like Darkwater-san, I'm kind of behind compared to all you lucky people with easier access to original Japanese manga...I'm stuck reading the Tokyopop volumes my friend buys...happy.gif||
Ryuji1314
eeep... I love Samurai Deeper Kyo... haven't read much or seen much, but I like what I've seen...
darknite
well, im not going for translating, just half way...reading...im not sure if thats how everyone is supposed to learn but oh well, my friend did it that way so i am too, thanks a bunch
Elderberry
Yes, the Kyou/Kyoushiro plot is being handled very well, in my opinion. happy.gif Yukimura is pretty cool, but I like Sasuke the best~ tongue.gif
edsgirl
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Mar 13 2005, 08:22 PM)
Yes, the Kyou/Kyoushiro plot is being handled very well, in my opinion. happy.gif  Yukimura is pretty cool, but I like Sasuke the best~ tongue.gif
[snapback]132315[/snapback]

smile.gif I see ^ He's pretty tough for a little kid.
I like Yuya better in the Manga. Mainly because while reading, you can't hear her talk.

Doesn't matter though, because Benitora/Hidetada is better than anybody else.
Elderberry
Yay, I just finished reading volume 12! laugh.gif (In English...) Shinrei seems to be a very cool character, despite the fact that a lot of SDK fans seem to want him dead...
alchemist922
Samurai Deeper Kyo good manga i only read up to vol 3. for now plan to get more never seen the anime but good manga

Omakase Shimasu: Please refrain from using the attachment feature if the attachment in question isn't relevant to the post itself. Thank you.
Elderberry
Shannarou~!! laugh.gif Samurai Deeper Kyo volume 13 comes out in English this month!! XD laugh.gif *pops confetti*

*looks around at others who are already on volume 27+*

OK...so it might not mean a whole lot to you...but to me, who has no access to a Japanese bookstore, it does! biggrin.gif
akari-chan
I've only read the 1st volume and I think this book is awesome. I love it. This book roks!!
DarkWater Alchemist
@ Elderberry: Whew, I hadn't realized up till now that even the French translators are further than the English ones. I think vol 21 is just out now, I might check the mangastore some day this week. ^^

Eeeeh... Vol 13 ends with a cliffhanger XD

biggrin.gif Sasuke is a cool kid ^^

I just got vol 21 - I really like Shinrei - ever since he appeared.
And Hishigi too, weird guy ^^;
Elderberry
Eeee....true, volume 13 has a cliffhanger...(*read it in a bookstore yesterday*) but Sasuke was soo cool!! laugh.gif *obsessive mode* And I was worrying about whether he'd be OK against that Mibu guy...*obsesses* tongue.gif

Hee, I kind of like Shinrei. happy.gif

I really must obtain the Japanese manga sometime so that I have even some idea of these newer characters I haven't seen yet. biggrin.gif
kishi809
does anybody know a good site with pics from SDK? I really want to get the pic of Kyoshiro from the later part of the series.
Xeth
QUOTE(DarkWater Alchemist @ Jun 14 2005, 08:10 PM)
Eeeeh... Vol 13 ends with a cliffhanger XD
[right][snapback]191983[/snapback][/right]

biggrin.gif nearly every volume from than on ends with a cliffhanger...
currently I'm reading volume 22...it's so good but I want to know how it continues...(it ended reaaaaaally thilling!!!
I'm also happy that Akari finally arrived smile.gif
DarkWater Alchemist
Ooooh, I still have to buy vol 22, maybe tomorrow... i'll drag my non-manga friends to the mangastore, dammit! XD
Does anyone know where to get english titles past the current ones(I'm at 15) Or am I stuck with tokyo pop?
QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 17 2005, 10:11 PM) [snapback]301116[/snapback]

Does anyone know where to get english titles past the current ones(I'm at 15) Or am I stuck with tokyo pop?

Hm...I don't think there's any other english publisherout there publishing SDK... This is why I read it in French...(as I know they are one of the widest except the Japanese who are at something like vol. 32 or so...) huh.gif
DarkWater Alchemist
The french are at 25 now, I bought vols 23-25 last week <33 Still gotta read them though.
instantmirage
sasuke is a boy or girl ?

A boy, obviously.
Black Zero
I just recently looked at a Samurai Deeper manga. I was vol. 2.
beyondredemption
Yukimura enters the story at the end of the second volume as the carefree drunk, but you could say that it's really the third volume because that's when you find out who he is. Samerai Deeper is one of my fave mangas, but I am only up to volume ten, and I have so much more to go! sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.