Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Band Nerds
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
Hey, there, everyone! I know I'm not the only person on these forums who's a total band nerd - you know the type, is in the marching band, practically lives in the band room, totally obsessed with almost any kind of music...

So, tell me about yourselves and the bands your in! It's always fun to connect w/ a fellow band nerd! happy.gif

I'm a senior in high school, and I've been in my school's marching band all four years. I was section leader last year (flute) and this year I'm techically a captain, even though my directors came up with a really stupid name...

Um... Oh! Our half-time show this year is "Music from the movie 'ANTZ'" - it's pretty cool! Last year we did a bunch of movie songs (ie Disney), the year before was Gustav Holst's "The Planets," and my freshman year was "The Music of Eric Whitacre"

Anyone else care to share? ^^
DustStorm
I'm a freshman in high school. I'm in my school's jazz band, and sometimes I'm a backup in marching band so like if somebody gets sick I play for them. I play the trumpet and the alto sax. I'm going to be promoted to section leader of the trumpets, because there's only 2 trumpet <including myself> and the other guy goofs off all the time...... so yeah. I consider myself a band geek. laugh.gif
Haha! Awesome! ^^ So how does your marching band "work?"

I know some schools do it differently than others... we have one show the whole year that we do for games, competitions, etc - and once you're in, you're in! We don't do "backups" or anything since we move and play...
DustStorm
Our jazz band plays in lots of competitions. We play at running events <like half marathons>, school dances and at other school events.
In marching band, we play at competitions, football games, and we have a really big show on the last day of school. We still haven't gone to competition but we're going to one next Sunday, I'm so excited. laugh.gif
Mustang_93
I am part of my middle school marching band and I play the trumpet. We do 2 parades each year: the first is the "Hay Days" one which is like an old-fashoned carnival, the second is a competition with most of the bands in NE but this year we suck. When i was in 7th we played lots of rock songs and stuff from the 70's. This year we played Blitzkreig Bop alot which is pretty easy. Also Bang the Drum all Day, Ready to Go, our school song (our director). At leat next year i will be in the HS band. I dont consiter myself a geek because all of the smart kids are in band. And i belive the definiton of geek means "socialy inept" which i am not.
@ Mustang_93: Haha! You have a lot to learn about being a band geek, my friend! happy.gif We don't take it literally - more of a badge of honor - that and to turn around the words of anyone who does call us geeks and means it. Kind of poke fun at them for thinking that we're all socially inept - and if you're in a marching band, it usually means quite the opposite. It's just sort of a fun term we refer to ourselves as, y'know?

@ DustStorm - that's awesome! Good luck at your competition! smile.gif
22-250
I'm in my school's marching band playing the Bari Sax. Although my friend is gonna teach me baritone.
Hugh the Hit Man
I graduated last year but I still staff the local marching band. I don't think you can get much nerdier than that. Anyway, I play and own all four saxes, clarinet, oboe, flute, and I am currently learning how to play bassoon. I was in marching band for four years playing clarinet, alto sax (as section leader), and then was drum major for the next two years. I was in the Wind symphony in high school and was a tenor sax in the jazz band and lead tenor my senior year. I pretty much think that qualifies me as one of the ultimate band geeks. Oh yeah, our marching band always plays music like a symphonic band would, like Steven Melillo and stuff like that. Anyway... Power to the Geeks!!
Funderful
Alto Saxophone! >:D

I'm forced to be in band, though.
I'm quitting at the end of the year.

I still play guitar though.
Rock on! ohmy.gif
Actually, it's acoustic.
So how 'bout I don't.
Let's here it for portable-ness!

I <3 Music, though.
Any type.
Celtic, Rock, Punk, J-Pop, Techno, You name it, I've Listened.

Except for Britney Spears.
I've listened, but it hurt.
Kal Rommel
Well...I'm in flags. We're a marching band this year, we've already been to 3 competitions, where we were royally dissed...
Last Saturday, we went to a competition, and they announced all the bands in our category as 'superior'

WC High School Band: 'Good'....let's all give a 2nd round of applause to WC Band!!!!!!!!

It really really sucked...
We've got one show set for this year, as far as I know of. It's called a 'Touch of Latin'
Tigers of San Pedro, Rhythm is Gonna Get You, and Children of Sanchez.

We play at home games, there are like...four parades...Homecoming, Festival, Christmas, and Apple Blossom.

We've got another competition this Saturday...and a game on Friday.

Anyways. I know I may not be a true band geek...but I like to consider myself in there somewhere. Lots of people look down upon the flags, just b/c in previous years the flags haven't been that great. I'm a sophomore and it's my first year, so of course I get a hard time b/c I'm a sopphie.

A flaggot is what I am, and I am proud of it! >>;
Maybe.
I can play piano, but that doesn't count in marching band. So I just twirl my flag and dance all Latin-ish and stuff...

By the way...I love that this thread was created...even if I'm not a true band geek, it's still awesome.
Yay, I'm glad you like the thread! And I understand what you mean about people looking down on flags - I'm not in it (we call it "colorguard"), but my friend is teaching me... actually, when you get right down to it, each section dislikes another section... Here's what this cool band-related motivational speaker said when a bunch of us went to hear him speak:

"The brass hate the woodwinds, the woodwinds hate the guard, and the percussion hate the world!"

Haha!

BTW, everyone please thank Ailuro for unlocking the topic for us! We're not sure how it got locked, but it did, and Ailuro fixed it! Thanks, Ailuro!
Kal Rommel
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 25 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]465405[/snapback]

Yay, I'm glad you like the thread! And I understand what you mean about people looking down on flags - I'm not in it (we call it "colorguard"), but my friend is teaching me... actually, when you get right down to it, each section dislikes another section... Here's what this cool band-related motivational speaker said when a bunch of us went to hear him speak:

"The brass hate the woodwinds, the woodwinds hate the guard, and the percussion hate the world!"

Haha!

BTW, everyone please thank Ailuro for unlocking the topic for us! We're not sure how it got locked, but it did, and Ailuro fixed it! Thanks, Ailuro!

Well...technically, we are color guard, but we're not THAT special, so we're just flag corp. Such a wonderful title. Especially when followed by flaggots. We want rifles...but it's not going to happen . -sigh-
And about the motivational speaker...it's so true.
Although our drumline is...funky. With 3 snares, because our drumline captain quit, two quads, and 4 bass drums...one of them's a cheerleader , whom I have nothing against, I just find it funny when we're all in our uniforms and the cheerleader is in her squad uniform. She's quite nice , actually.
Our pit's pretty cool. They pick up our flags for us and stuff. But at our last competition they put our flags down like...on the wrong side of the 50, so we had to take an extra 16 counts to run and get them and run back...It was awkward...

Band fundraisers came into today! xDDD Woohoo!!! Go Joe Corbi's!!! Now onto the fruit and candle sales!!!!!

Anyways. I can rant about band stuff, even if I AM in the flag corp. Funny.
----------------
Thank you Ailuro-sama!!!!!
22-250
QUOTE(Hugh the Hit Man @ Oct 24 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]464621[/snapback]

I graduated last year but I still staff the local marching band. I don't think you can get much nerdier than that. Anyway, I play and own all four saxes, clarinet, oboe, flute, and I am currently learning how to play bassoon. I was in marching band for four years playing clarinet, alto sax (as section leader), and then was drum major for the next two years. I was in the Wind symphony in high school and was a tenor sax in the jazz band and lead tenor my senior year. I pretty much think that qualifies me as one of the ultimate band geeks. Oh yeah, our marching band always plays music like a symphonic band would, like Steven Melillo and stuff like that. Anyway... Power to the Geeks!!

I thought there were five saxophones.

Soprano, alto, Tenor, Bari, and bass?

Yeah, I think so... (about the saxophones)

Haha! That's great, Kal Rommel! You can "band nerd" w/ the best of us! ^^ Fruit and candle sales? huh.gif It seems like every band in america but ours does stuff like that! laugh.gif We do cheesecakes... don't ask... I'm not even sure...

Kal Rommel
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 25 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]465615[/snapback]

Yeah, I think so... (about the saxophones)

Haha! That's great, Kal Rommel! You can "band nerd" w/ the best of us! ^^ Fruit and candle sales? huh.gif It seems like every band in america but ours does stuff like that! laugh.gif We do cheesecakes... don't ask... I'm not even sure...

YAY!!!!!
Cheesecakes sound yummy...oO
Well...we're a very badly funded band...and our trip to the NYC costs like...$450...more than I've been able to make at my nursery job in like....5 months...

I've never really done fund raisers before oO;
It was always...Jump Rope For Heart or something...and that was forever ago...><;
But I'm like...1/4 of the way there....

haha! You guys are going to NY?? That's cool! We went last year for the... was it Veteran's Day parade? I don't quite remember... all I remember is freezing my ass of and being in the last line w/ one other girl (b/c I'm section leader, I get to make all those fun sacrifices...) but these people kept trying to cross the street in between groups, and sometimes in front of me and the other girl, so the assistant band director came back (he's pretty young, he's alright...) and walked w/ us to make sure we didn't get cut off (again...) So, the next time people cut in front of us, he yelled at them - too bad it was a couple of cops! They kind of just stared at him, then started laughing. He was pretty bewildered. He looked over at me, and was like, "Did I just...?"
Me: "Yeah. Yeah you did... HHAHAHAAAA!!"

I will always remember that... smile.gif
Hugh the Hit Man
About the saxes, if you want to get technical there are actually seven different ones. The E flat Sopranino, the B flat Soprano, the E flat Alto, the B flat Tenor, the E flat Bari, the B flat Bass, and the E flat Contrabass. The thing is, soprano, alto, tenor, and bari are the most common so those are the ones I play. If I could get my hands on a sopranino, bass and contrasbass saxophone I'm sure I would play those too. Oh, well...
Kal Rommel
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 25 2006, 09:58 PM) [snapback]465654[/snapback]

haha! You guys are going to NY?? That's cool! We went last year for the... was it Veteran's Day parade? I don't quite remember... all I remember is freezing my ass of and being in the last line w/ one other girl (b/c I'm section leader, I get to make all those fun sacrifices...) but these people kept trying to cross the street in between groups, and sometimes in front of me and the other girl, so the assistant band director came back (he's pretty young, he's alright...) and walked w/ us to make sure we didn't get cut off (again...) So, the next time people cut in front of us, he yelled at them - too bad it was a couple of cops! They kind of just stared at him, then started laughing. He was pretty bewildered. He looked over at me, and was like, "Did I just...?"
Me: "Yeah. Yeah you did... HHAHAHAAAA!!"

I will always remember that... smile.gif

xDDDDDDDD
We don't go to cool stuff like that ....although we do have a TOB competition this Saturday. But they're threatening to postpone it to Sunday, and like...No one in band can come b/c they rearranged their schedules for Saturday...
So our Band Director (Another story about him below) sent in a letter asking the panel to exempt us b/c we'll be missing like...20 people out of a 60 something band, and just let us go to the Charter Championship thing next weekend without going to the 2nd TOB comp.
Hopefully they will, b/c we don't want to go Sunday. I won't be there. Another flag won't be there...and we only have 3...so the really really really geeky one will be there >>;
And one flag is just...awful. The Flag Judge Dude will be like.. dry.gif

That parade thing sounds really hilarious...whenever we march in parades, this b*tchy Drum Major yells at us and disses us and stuff.
She was like..."If you can't march correctly, you shouldn't even be in band. What's wrong with you?! You should just leave!"
The other two are really nice! Just not...her.

We freeze...we have these really skimpy outfits that are cut really low on the neckline and it's very revealing...and very cold...and it's velvet...and mesh...and they look like clown suits!!!!!!!!!!!! -sobs-
(This leading up to the B.D. story)
So one game it was like....41 degrees out...the band was in their nice warm wool uniforms, while we where in our skimpy velvet uniforms freezing.
So we call the B.D. over and are like...Hey! Mr. D!!!! We want underarmor!!!!!
B.D: Well...I don't think it'll help much...
Flags: It'll cut off this chill! WE'RE FREEZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! -wrapped up in our flags as a testament to the cold-
B.D.: Hm....-looks us up and down, stopping periodically at the weighted part of our upper bodies.(couldn't think of anything else...I'm in a hurry)Stares there again. Gives an approving nod of his head, grinning.- Well I think they look great.

Pervert...I KNOW he is...I know it. And HE picked the stupid things out!!!!!!!!
So know he's the Pervvy Band Director.
He's a great B.D., don't get me wrong. He's just...a pervert.

Anyways. I have a math project to do before I go to band practice tonight...(It's freezing outside right now too...hope it doesn't rain like last week...we were out for an hour and a half in 38 degree weather and rain...it sucked...><;...)

I'll shall be back...with another long/short post...geez...I type ALOT don't I? I love band anecdotes!! Go Band Geeks! -And lone flaggot-
Quistis88
I was a total band geek/nerd back in high school. Started all the way from Grade 6 right on until I graduated. I used to be in marching band in high school, but that was only for about half a year (since marching band wasn't all year), because the year after that, they disbanded it (though the marching band was essentially just the concert band, only with marching). I remember how the band had trouble making turns nicely. biggrin.gif We had cowboy outfits complete with the hat.

Played the flute in concert/marching band, and though I never really practiced, quickly rose up the ranks to become one of the lead flutes (but I placed 2nd flute parts willingly, and they need stronger players on the lower parts), something that I'm relatively proud of since it means that I either have really good sight-reading skills or I learn fast.

Jazz band is more enjoyable because people tend to be more eager to learn their parts, whereas the people in concert band just didn't seem to care too much. I played keyboard/piano/synthesizer and the occasional maracas. I got pretty good at that, too, and they're very fun to play. Contrary to what people might think, it does take a certain amount of skill to play those things.

Now I feel like I'm bragging. mellow.gif
Kal Rommel
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Oct 26 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]466065[/snapback]

I was a total band geek/nerd back in high school. Started all the way from Grade 6 right on until I graduated. I used to be in marching band in high school, but that was only for about half a year (since marching band wasn't all year), because the year after that, they disbanded it (though the marching band was essentially just the concert band, only with marching). I remember how the band had trouble making turns nicely. biggrin.gif We had cowboy outfits complete with the hat.

Played the flute in concert/marching band, and though I never really practiced, quickly rose up the ranks to become one of the lead flutes (but I placed 2nd flute parts willingly, and they need stronger players on the lower parts), something that I'm relatively proud of since it means that I either have really good sight-reading skills or I learn fast.

Jazz band is more enjoyable because people tend to be more eager to learn their parts, whereas the people in concert band just didn't seem to care too much. I played keyboard/piano/synthesizer and the occasional maracas. I got pretty good at that, too, and they're very fun to play. Contrary to what people might think, it does take a certain amount of skill to play those things.

Now I feel like I'm bragging. mellow.gif

Aww!!! That's alright, Quistis-sama! -newbish respect-
It sounds like you have a right to brag!!!!! I'm just a flaggot...so you sounded really important... smile.gif

It wasn't that cold tonight!!! But our B.D. made us keep going over the first 3 sets of the third song in our show...
And one of our old flags from earlier this year came back...she turned into the Fun Police. She kept telling us to count and how to do things that we had to adjust to because she QUIT....
So we messed with her head and kept doing the routine different ways. Eventually she threw her flag down on the sidelines and made rude hand gestures while stomping off. We just laughed at her.

I heard a jazz band in PAVAN this summer...they sounded SOOOOO awesome. I've seen how it takes skill to play the maracas. I know one guy in the pit plays the cowbell and he messed up his beats and the whole song like...died.
If the pit's off, everyone's off, and they're mainly maracas, cowbells, cymbals and the marimba...But they're cool anyways.

So...I quoted Quistis-sama and typed a lot too...I must be obsessed. I'm clinging to this thread for dear life. There must be something wrong with me dry.gif

*EDIT*
I feel rather stupid now...I talk about all the stuff that goes on in band...I rant...at least it's, for the most part, in proper English...I mean...I rant ALOT. It's so sad. From now on I'll limit myself to a paragraph...to save everyone the trouble of skipping through my post to read the next one.
WHAHAHAAAAA!!! Oh, God, Kal, you poor thing! I'm so sorry! smile.gif That's hilarious, though!!!

As far as those "lovely wool uniforms," they ain't that warm! They don't contain or absorb heat or anything... they're just a mess...

Quistis88 - no, that's not bragging! It's only bragging if you say, "Hey, look! I'm first chair! But I never practice, though, heehee!" (There's someone in my band who does that, and I hate her... I work twice as hard, but she gets twice as far...) So, no, as long as you're not being... ahem... "mean" (I really want to use another word) then it's certainly not bragging!! Yeah, jazz bands are definitely more fun - basically any sort of band where it's small and everyone there is a volunteer... smile.gif
Kal Rommel
Mr. D clapped me on the shoulder today...we were out on the practice field...I was huddled in my sweatshirt and he walks by me and pats me on the shoulder, smiling all...weird like...

Then later on he was talking to one of our snares...-cracking up-

He was like...Eric...I want you to come to the band room during your 1st period lunch... -saying this loudly-
Eric: Huh?
B.D: I'm going to lock you in the band room with me....
Band: O_O!!!!! EWWWWW!!!!!!!!
Eric: -takes a step back as B.D. walks towards him-
B.D: I'm going to lock you in a room with Dr. Beat...oh god that made it worse.
Band: -starts cracking up-

My comfort zone was invaded during that time. Then he came to the flags and told us to 'sell it'
Flags: -smiling nervously , sort of edging away-

Anyways. That was my eventful day!
And we have that competition tomorrow since the rain never came!!!!! -sigh-

Oh well...
WAHAHAHAAAA!!! Oh, that's really not all that funny, but it is! I"m so sorry!!!

OK, so the assitant (the same one who yelled at the NYC cops), was talking to me after practice yesterday - he was all congested, b/c he's coming down w/ a cold, and he's like, "Do you know what I need? One of those snot-sucker things like they use on babies..." I kinda just stared at him, smiling and nodding, and then he added, "I used one of those things until I was six... But don't tell anybody that!"

Me: "haha! *snort* Sure, thing!"

I haven't told anybody yet... there's only certain people who would truly appreciate that w/out harassing him... smile.gif
Kal Rommel
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 27 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]466927[/snapback]

WAHAHAHAAAA!!! Oh, that's really not all that funny, but it is! I"m so sorry!!!

OK, so the assitant (the same one who yelled at the NYC cops), was talking to me after practice yesterday - he was all congested, b/c he's coming down w/ a cold, and he's like, "Do you know what I need? One of those snot-sucker things like they use on babies..." I kinda just stared at him, smiling and nodding, and then he added, "I used one of those things until I was six... But don't tell anybody that!"

Me: "haha! *snort* Sure, thing!"

I haven't told anybody yet... there's only certain people who would truly appreciate that w/out harassing him... smile.gif

It's alright.
We use dehumidifiers like you use on little kids if we get colds...and the almighty Vicks Vapor Rub for my little brother! (10)
I don't think I'd harass him. It would be a bit funny, then I'd be like...okay...well, it's not so so weird...
Our B.D. says he's been sick for the past two weeks...everyone's sick. Marching outside in this weather is unhealthy for anyone...blech.
I came home and flopped onto my couch and slept for three hours.
Just b/c we were marching in the rain again...

Again, oh well. ^^
Celestial Shadow
Mmm, I guess you could call me and my best friend ones...But my band is way cooler than hers >>
Kal Rommel
QUOTE(Celestial Shadow @ Oct 27 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]466950[/snapback]

Mmm, I guess you could call me and my best friend ones...But my band is way cooler than hers >>

Well...our band sucks period. We are small and underfunded...we can't even call our color guard a real color guard...and we just...suck...-sigh-

But go Dr. Beat! -plans to enshrine the memory of Dr. Beat-
Hahaha! You're not a band nerd if you don't know what "Dr. Beat" is! laugh.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(Kal Rommel @ Oct 26 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]466251[/snapback]
Aww!!! That's alright, Quistis-sama! -newbish respect-
It sounds like you have a right to brag!!!!! I'm just a flaggot...so you sounded really important... smile.gif
Haha, thanks, but I'm sure you're important, too. It's a band, after all. Everyone is important. smile.gif

QUOTE(Kal Rommel @ Oct 26 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]466251[/snapback]
I feel rather stupid now...I talk about all the stuff that goes on in band...I rant...at least it's, for the most part, in proper English...I mean...I rant ALOT. It's so sad. From now on I'll limit myself to a paragraph...to save everyone the trouble of skipping through my post to read the next one.
Please do not feel stupid. We encourage our forum members to make big and long posts! Only feel stupid if it's a really short/spammy post. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 27 2006, 02:17 PM) [snapback]466753[/snapback]
Yeah, jazz bands are definitely more fun - basically any sort of band where it's small and everyone there is a volunteer... smile.gif
Good to see that someone agrees. I just hated how people didn't take it seriously and how that, in turn, greatly affects the overall performance of the band. sad.gif

QUOTE(Kal Rommel @ Oct 27 2006, 06:15 PM) [snapback]466923[/snapback]
He was like...Eric...I want you to come to the band room during your 1st period lunch... -saying this loudly-
Eric: Huh?
B.D: I'm going to lock you in the band room with me....
Band: O_O!!!!! EWWWWW!!!!!!!!
Eric: -takes a step back as B.D. walks towards him-
B.D: I'm going to lock you in a room with Dr. Beat...oh god that made it worse.
Band: -starts cracking up-

My comfort zone was invaded during that time. Then he came to the flags and told us to 'sell it'
Flags: -smiling nervously , sort of edging away-
Is he even allowed to say stuff like that? laugh.gif

Speaking of comfort zone invasions, your incident reminds me of this one time back in junior high, where our jazz band had two keyboardists (me and this other guy), and we would always be jokingly competing with each other to play all the "good" songs. One day, he told me:

Guy: I had a dream about us the other night.
Quis: Uhh . . .
Guy: We were alone in a tent together.
Quis: O__O
Guy: Then a bear came in and ate you.
Quis: Uhh . . .

Yeah. And he also jokes around a lot about wanting to break my fingers so he wouldn't have competition anymore. tongue.gif

QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 27 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]466981[/snapback]
Hahaha! You're not a band nerd if you don't know what "Dr. Beat" is! laugh.gif
"Dr. Beat" is such an oxymoron, because Dr. Beat makes me sick. tongue.gif
Kal Rommel
To Quistis-sama's comments: (My quote thing wasn't working properly...or else I'm just challenged that way...)
Thank you so much!!! That makes me feel really good ^^ The judges in our competition said we did really well....-dies of the embarassment and shock of good comments-

To another one of Quistis-sama's comments:
Oh god...our band director is just...a pervert.
He likes to have physical contact with you. My friend said she was shivering the other day and he went and rubbed her arms.
And today, at our competition, me and 4 other girls were huddled together because it was very very very windy and cold...and he sat behind us, giving us that weird smile.
And he always likes to pat me on the back. I'm like....GET AWAY blink.gif

We lost our competition today...in our category (class 3 or whatever...)
We came in 5th...FIFTH...I say it was location discrimination. All the other bands were from W.VA and we were like the only ones from VA....
It was awful.
And freezing. We were in our skimpy clown suits too, so we were cold.
One of our drum majors didn't use a voice command to start the third song, so that screwed us up...

But now I have a pin that says: I <3 My Flag!
It makes me happy and feel geeky. Woot!!!!
And now I get hugs from random band members...and I have a band member bus buddy. I'm climbing the ranks of importance!!!
Woohoo!!!

Anyways. That was my day. I'm sure I'll wake up with pneumonia or something. Oh joy.
We had an all-day competition Saturday (I say all day... it kind of wasn't... got to school at nine, had a 2 and a half hour bus ride, performed at five, sat around until the awards at ten, then went back home - another 2 and a half hour bus ride! I'm so far behind on everything... *sobs*)

Yeah, sometimes you meet such random people at band competitions - my friend called the number someone had put up in teh window of the bus next to us (the windows were foggy) - they talked for twenty minutes! Haha!

Kal Rommel
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 29 2006, 05:05 PM) [snapback]467749[/snapback]

We had an all-day competition Saturday (I say all day... it kind of wasn't... got to school at nine, had a 2 and a half hour bus ride, performed at five, sat around until the awards at ten, then went back home - another 2 and a half hour bus ride! I'm so far behind on everything... *sobs*)

Yeah, sometimes you meet such random people at band competitions - my friend called the number someone had put up in teh window of the bus next to us (the windows were foggy) - they talked for twenty minutes! Haha!

Aw...sounds like a long competition.

To the phone call thing...xDD
Sounds funny. I wouldn't have the courage.
Neither would I! XD !! She ended up writing down a friend's number on our own window, at first I thought it was mine, I was about to kill her - then I realized that she only got about half-way through putting it into "mirror" format before totally giving up! laugh.gif
Kal Rommel
Wow. This thread fell back really fast...and look what we started. Band name thread, jazz thread...go us!!!
Or at least you, New Fullmetal!! Thanks so much for starting this thread...I haven't been online for the past two days to rant here...
Oops. Off topic.
Anyways!!

We've got our last competition on Saturday!!! Then marching season is over until Christmas and the Apple Blossom Parade next spring. Woohoo!!!!!
-ecstatic-

Flags are actually getting some respect now!!!! We're performing well, our three remaining members are together and work well with one another...the band director (now referred to as the 'Pancake Monster') came on the bus last Saturday and said some of the best comments he heard were about the flags...-squee-

We got to listen to the visual judge's tape. The only negative comment was about our flag switching.

Respect! It's a great thing. People don't really look at us funny. They give us compliments, more people want to steal our flags...xDD

Anyways. That's bragging. And I've got no right. I mean...we're just a funky color guard.
But it made meh happy ^^!!!

Alright...nothing else to say....

*EDIT*
Okay. So the band name thing was there in Aug. 2005...it just reappeared...nvm then. xDD
Hey, there now, you deserve to brag! smile.gif You and your other flaggies have been working hard, and you earned it! happy.gif

"Pancake Monster??" Can't wait to hear that one! laugh.gif

Thanks for the thanks about starting up this thread! I have the warm fuzzies - I'm glad at least *we're* enjoying it! Haha!
Kal Rommel
Ah yes, the Pancake Monster...
Mr. D. came out of the bandroom one morning while my friend Kura and I were just sitting there, waiting for our Driver's Ed teacher to show up.
So he comes out and I start saying to Kura: OH NOOES!! IT'S THE EVIL PANCAKE MONSTER COMING TO ATTACK THE EGG VILLAGE!!!! HE'S GOING TO EAT THE EGG PEOPLE!! RUN!!! EEEEKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE EGG VOLCANO IS EXPLODING! -makes a BOOM noise-

Mr. D. heard me, I know it, and he looks over. I just waved.
Me: -waves- Hi , Mr. D!! -says it really brightly-
Mr. D: .... .... .... -raises an eyebrow- Hi, Kal...oO;

It was funny.
And yesterday was our last competition -froze to death-, so our flag captain said that if we didn't smile she would beat us up. So I told the other flag to imagine the Pancake Monster rolling around in syrup...it was a hilarious visual and it kept me grinning until the third song when I had a uniform malfunction...

I'll tell about that later.

Funderful
Yay! I switched the Electric Bass! ^^
No more Alto-Sax for me.
It can go to hell.
Hahahaaa! laugh.gif Finally gave up on the reed instruments, eh? wink.gif

Welcome, Funderful, to the band nerd page! Feel free to share stories of your nerdiness with us!

@ Kal - I have a funny uniform malfunction too from our second-to last (ie second of third) competition - but I don't have time to type it out right now... sad.gif Sorry, but you must wait in suspense! laugh.gif
Kal Rommel
@New
That was cruel... THE SUSPENSE!!!!!!

For my uniform malfunction...I partway flashed the audience at the competition. I'm praying nobody noticed. Praying very very very hard.
-sobs in the corner...real ones-
It was so embarassing...and that's as far as I'm going into it...

We lost our competition...it sucked...we froze to death from like 4:45 to 9 o'clock...it was awful.
Once again we came in 5th place.

I'm just waiting for the B.D. to come to me and say: Kal...I need to talk to you about the competition.
I just KNOW IT'S MY FAULT!!!!!! sad.gif -cries-

-sigh-
Oh well...
Quistis88
You kids make me miss band so much. laugh.gif
Ice Blizzard
Hooray for band! I've been in band for about 2 years now laugh.gif .
I got classes every Wednesdays at 1:30, And at 6, And fridays at 8:30 smile.gif
Yaaay, a new band nerd! smile.gif Hi, Ize Blizzard!

Quistis88 - Awww, I'm sorry! But hey, once a band nerd, always a band nerd! Why don't you come and reminisce (sp?) with us sometime? smile.gif

@ Kal - That's awful! I'm sorry! But I know it isn't your fault - stuff like that happens... Anyway, for me, when we do a part of a song where we all have to do this stupid dance, I had to crouch down to get my instrument. It was really cold, so I had on bulky sweats underneath, which made it hard for me to move in my uniform (stupid things...) oh, btw, this was a competition, also... So, as I bent down, I heard it - the rip... And I thought, "Oh, shit..." And this was in the second of five parts, too... So, basically, I went throught the whole show with a popped seam on the inside of my leg by my thigh... I figured *everyone* could see it, and I mean everyone (I'm on the front sideline for almost all of the last part - sob!) So basically, I was trying not to either cry or burst out laughing the entire show. Whe we finished and were back by the buses to change, my director gave us her usual post-performance talk, and was like, "Now, I'm sure there's all some things we wished hadn't happened..." everyone kind of laughed and nodded - there had been a really bad tempo tear right at the beginning of the first song - and I was standing behind her, kind of away from the crowd (b/c I had to help bring a prop off the field), and was said kind of casually in a normal voice (w/ lots of people it's hard to hear anyone talking...), "Yup. Wardrobe malfunction." One of my friends, standing next to the director, kind of laughed and looked at me like, "WTF?" And then I modeled my leg for her and she burst out laughing. My director heard my comment also, but really turned around only when my friend started laughing. She gave this "deer in headlights" kind of look, turned back around, and went, "Well, ok, then!"

so now I'm the fool... here I thought everybody had seen, and it turns out no one had! At least, until I drew attention to myself... *smacks herself*

If you want to unload about your "malfunction," you can pm me if you'd like! happy.gif I'm here to help! *hands Kal a cookie...* It's ok...
Kal Rommel
Thank you for the cookie, New!!
And all your PM support and what not.

Marching season is over and all the flags have to do is sit on our bums until they learn the Christmas music...then we have to make up routines to the Grinch...><;

But we pass the time by playing Old Maid with Fullmetal Alchemist playing cards.
So we're content.

I just get so bored...

Anyways. I'll be back to rant later.
JoshP1389
I am currently one of the four BBb tuba players in my wind ensemble. When it comes to lead parts and solos I always aspire to audition to get the part. I know a majority of my major scales (9 of the 12 to be descript) and can sightread a level III solo with ease. At the moment, we're playing Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring in G major. Sousa's Gallant Seventh, and the Lord of the Rings (Symphony No. 1) by Johan De Meij.

For my marching band, I play a portable right-handed BBb tuba that weighs about 20-25 lbs. (a third of the weight of the tuba I play in wind ensemble!) I keep myself athletic to keep up with the demand of playing it while marching. This year's halftime show we did Paul Simon's Late in the Evening (<3), Kansas' Carry on, Wayward Son, and Chariots of Fire (who doesn't?).

Due to budget cuts, unfortunately our school doesn't offer a jazz band program. However, in my spare time I enjoy songwriting with my guitar and fiddling with the string bass in our band room. I'm currently trying to form a band with my peers, but it has a been difficult.

Spread the tuba love.
Kal Rommel
QUOTE(JoshP1389 @ Nov 14 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]473514[/snapback]
I am currently one of the four BBb tuba players in my wind ensemble. When it comes to lead parts and solos I always aspire to audition to get the part. I know a majority of my major scales (9 of the 12 to be descript) and can sightread a level III solo with ease. At the moment, we're playing Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring in G major. Sousa's Gallant Seventh, and the Lord of the Rings (Symphony No. 1) by Johan De Meij.

For my marching band, I play a portable right-handed BBb tuba that weighs about 20-25 lbs. (a third of the weight of the tuba I play in wind ensemble!) I keep myself athletic to keep up with the demand of playing it while marching. This year's halftime show we did Paul Simon's Late in the Evening (<3), Kansas' Carry on, Wayward Son, and Chariots of Fire (who doesn't?).

Due to budget cuts, unfortunately our school doesn't offer a jazz band program. However, in my spare time I enjoy songwriting with my guitar and fiddling with the string bass in our band room. I'm currently trying to form a band with my peers, but it has a been difficult.

Spread the tuba love.

Yay!!! New band nerd poster!!! Hi, JoshP1389!!! Welcome to our wonderful thread! I'm Kal, the nerdy flaggot!! smile.gif

Wow. Sounds awesome!!!! -insanely jealous of real band members-

I have a friend who plays the tuba. She's a thin athletic type...and as they shouted in band when she picked up her tuba and tuba case (a big blocky black thing that's pretty heavy)...she's beast.

They just got out all the stuff that I've never seen before for concert band.
The concert tuba for one...chimes...or those huge ones...

I'm so clueless. -is obviously a flaggot-
But I have a sweatshirt that says color guard on the back now! I belong to something!! woohoo!!!

Sorry.

The B.D. hugged me on Friday blink.gif He's such a pervert. -Shiver-

Alright. I'm done ranting. I'll be back as always...
Funderful
I got splinters from that damn reed. >>

Anyway, I have to hire a tutor to help me on the bass, since I changed instruments recently.
If we enter competitions, we get to go to Europe or Hawaii or something or our last year of band for a competition.
Somewhere interesting or tropical.
I <3 my music teacher.
Come term, I always recieve the full mark.

It's off topic, But my class is going to Europe in a little while along with the grade higher. Progue and Munich are the only places I can remember.
And you know why I remebered Munich. ^^
Just thought I'd bring it up, since I already included band-travel in the post.

>> I ramble.

So much damned fundraising, though...
Our school is relatively poor.
Quistis88
Speaking of tubas . . . I remember once upon a time when I could fit into a tuba case. How do I know? Because I have friends, and they like to shove me into things, like lockers and tuba cases, just to see if I could fit. biggrin.gif
Kal Rommel
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Nov 15 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]473931[/snapback]
Speaking of tubas . . . I remember once upon a time when I could fit into a tuba case. How do I know? Because I have friends, and they like to shove me into things, like lockers and tuba cases, just to see if I could fit. biggrin.gif

Wow!!
xD
That's kind of cool...if not a bit...morbid...in a way...but cool!

OT:
I'm reading Crime and Punishment at the moment and the author suffers from the overuse of the word 'morbid' so...It's lurking in the back of my brain.

Sorry about the OT'ness!!!

hahaha! Some of our tuba players did that at our last game - 'twas quite chilly, so they shut themselves in! One of the parents didn't know they were there, though, and tried to load up the cases back onto the trailer - that was a laugh and a half!!!

yaaay! More postings since I was last here! The band nerds are finally taking over! MWAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!! *ahem* Welcome, JoshP1389, we hope to hear more from you soon! happy.gif

@ Kal - you're welcome! Anytime! smile.gif
JoshP1389
QUOTE(Kal Rommel @ Nov 15 2006, 07:30 PM) [snapback]473922[/snapback]
The B.D. hugged me on Friday blink.gif He's such a pervert. -Shiver-

lolpedophilia

I love flaggots. They're great.

QUOTE(Funderful @ Nov 15 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]473928[/snapback]
So much damned fundraising, though...
Our school is relatively poor.

Same here, but it's relatively easy to get buyers because most of the time people don't have the balls to not offer to buy at least one thing. :3

QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Nov 15 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]473931[/snapback]

Pics plz.
Quistis88
Josh, there are no pictures. tongue.gif Back in my time, junior high school students did not own cameras, nor did parents let them take cameras to school.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.