Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will Hawkeye Be Killed?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3
TheSnig
I think she might (but I dont want her to, she's one of my favourite characters), because after Wrath let Mustang escape after killing Lust, he said to father that he would make mustang open the gate (by trying a human transmutation), and he didn't try to revive Hughes. Although I don't know, because for now she is a hostage so that the homunculi can keep Mustang under control.
Popogeejo
Wrath would have done it by now. He's had several opportunities before. He needs Riza alive to keep Roy in line, if he killed her then Mustang will fry Wrath.
riza hawkeye 9
thats funny .. i just post somenthing about it in ''royai thread''

heres my opinion .. i don't think he pretends to kill her ...for now she's beig kept as a hostage to keep roy in line .. but in some future she can be use to force him to open the gate ..since wrath already said once that roy kindness is is strenght and also his weakness ... but i guess that he wont kill her since its quiet proved that you can't bring a human back to life ( ed's mother as an example .. the body they found wasn't his mother) so if she dies .. it will be like permanent...thats just to sad... i don't think that will be a good ending for roy ...'cause after losing hughes if he loses hawkeye too he will probably kill himself ...no .. that man deserves a happy ending.. so does riza ^^

but ....if she dies and he can bring her back successfully what he will give in return ( equivalent exchange)?? ..i think his ability of using fire alchemy or any kind os alchemy will be a nice exchange ... okay .. just a silly ideia .. but this will make a good fanfic..( ho.. i think i gonna write somenthig about it....)
Nepharski
Neither side can sacrifice Mustang's queen. If Wrath loses Riza, he loses Roy. Even if he kills her to make Roy preform a transmutation, Roy would know better. He's seen Edward Elric.
Alxchemist
I seriously hope/doubt that she'll b killed
but these things happened so it would happen in a cool way
Popogeejo

This is either a massive contradiction or a massive gramatical error.
CodenameElizabeth
Ummmm... in my opinon, NO.

Why? Because, at this point in the story, Hawkeye is a hostage. And you don't kill the hostage. Like Nepharski said before me, if the Fuhrer loses the hostage, he loses Roy. And Hawkeye was 'taken' to keep Roy in line in the first place.

What is puzzling me about this situation is whether or not her flame-tattoo is going to come into play again. At this point, she is in the middle of the Fuhrer's circle, where the main plans are, more than likely, going to be hatched. we also know that the Fuhrer has the 'ultimate eye', so perhaps he can detect the presence of this tattoo. And there is still a LOT of things we do not know about the 'secrets' of Riza's father's research, and how else these 'secrets' could possibly be used. Even though Riza's tattoo has been scarred, will the Homunculi still find value in it? Will she uncover new secrets behind the Homunculi's plan because she is now so close to the Fuhrer?

What we do know about this whole tattoo business is very little. (1. Her father gave it to her to protect his dangerous research. 2. She entrusts these 'secrets' to Roy after her father's funeral, thus giving his flame alchemy its full power. 3. She asks Roy to destroy it after the Ishval war, because she has seen the destruction these powers can cause.)

I do not think that Arakawa would spend so many panels on this whole plot-point if it was meant to be insignificant to the climax of the story. I think we will see this tattoo again. And Riza Hawkeye will be ALIVE when we do.

Colette
Nah, she's too useful. Like others have said, she's the perfect "leash", if you will, for Mustang.

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Oct 14 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]459824[/snapback]

Mustang will fry Wrath.

Wrath would slice him to bits before he could move a muscle
Alxchemist
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Oct 16 2006, 01:39 PM) [snapback]460663[/snapback]

This is either a massive contradiction or a massive gramatical error.

i meant that i hope that it happens cuaz it would be an awesomely great battle
(unless she was just shot then that would suck)

but I seriously doubt that she would die, shes an important character,
and Roy wouldn't let her die, right?
Jato
Riza cant die, because:
-She and Roy have to..umm..get it on!
-She has to umm...No really just the Roy thing.
There, my perfect logic of why Riza Hawkeye wont die.
Nil-chan
I agree. happy.gif
And besides, I don't think Arakawa -sensei is that cruel. And as Summoner Collette and lots of others said, she's too useful. If it weren't for her, they'd have almost no control over Roy, and they need him or the sacrifice thing. although it would be an amazing plot twist if she did die, though if that happened, I'd join an Anti-Arakawa movement.
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
Well, she's kind of like Hughes, in a sense - it would be probable either way for her to live or die - OH! OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! POSSIBLE PLOT TWIST!!! OH!!!! What if the homunculi meant to kill her - SO ROY WOULD TRY AND BRING HER BACK!!! OH!!!!
Popogeejo
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 19 2006, 04:19 AM) [snapback]462044[/snapback]

Well, she's kind of like Hughes, in a sense - it would be probable either way for her to live or die - OH! OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! POSSIBLE PLOT TWIST!!! OH!!!! What if the homunculi meant to kill her - SO ROY WOULD TRY AND BRING HER BACK!!! OH!!!!

Damn. If only that had been thought of in the opening post...

They can't take that kind of risk with Riza and Roy. If they kill her he may refuse to do anything because, as has been said before, Roy has seen what happend to Ed.
True, but then again, look at what happened when Hughes died - he had time to cope a bit w/ Hughes' death, and he still toyed w/ using human alchemy... the human mind is a dangerous thing when left to act solely on impulse - if Riza died, and, better yet, Roy watched it happen, he'd have no room for rational thought... he'd just... act...
Tombow
QUOTE (The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 18 2006, 11:44 PM) *
if Riza died, and, better yet, Roy watched it happen, he'd have no room for rational thought... he'd just... act...
Men, god forbid this would happen, but yeah, I agree, if it did, Mustang might "lose" it.
Hope that would never happen in the manga!!
Nil-chan
Oh no... a reasonable argument leading to her death... crap. *crosses fingers*

I guess i can see it happening, but in reality, since she already killed Hughes, I don't think Arakawa-sensei would do something so similar again.
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 18 2006, 11:44 PM) [snapback]462062[/snapback]

the human mind is a dangerous thing when left to act solely on impulse - if Riza died, and, better yet, Roy watched it happen, he'd have no room for rational thought... he'd just... act...

Based on the events we witnessed in Chapter 39 (which I'm not going to describe at risk of spoilers since that chapter isn't out here in the states yet-- but you all know what I'm talking about) we have seen what the human mind is capable of when acting on impulse-- even for a character who was established early on as a very rational, duty-focused human being. This made the events of this chapter even more disturbing to watch as they played out in the manga.

This chapter, IMO, established the notion that Roy and Riza are each other's "Achilles heel", so much that just the thought of the death of one is bound to trigger irrational impulsive behaviour in the other. The Homunculi are aware of this now, which is why Riza is the perfect hostage. Even a mere threat to her well being is bound to put Roy over the edge. The Homunculi can technically now use her to lure Roy into whatever trap they have planned, simply by threatening harm to her, and allowing Roy to be aware fo her whereabouts.

However, I do not believe that they would go to the extent of killing her. I think it is pretty much established that Roy will not perform human transmutation (with the Hughes situation and all.) Therefore, this hostage is much more valuable alive, for that life can be threatened and used against Roy to keep him under control.
I agree a lot w/ what you said, LadyHawkeye78 - they really are each other's "Achille's Heel" - however, they already have Mustang on their leash by keeping Riza "away" from him - being in the Fuhrer's charge and everything, that is... I'm sure Roy fully realizes that, too - I don't think they'd actually kill her (at least, I hope not...), but I would certainly bet money on them saying she's dead - I seriously do think that, if taken close enough to the edge, Roy would pull all of the tricks out of his hat and come pretty damned close to making a Philosopher's stone...

Ch. 39 is a prime example of that, too... In Roy's case, he'd start out by smoking everyone's asses, then brooding for a few days, then, in his deluded state, attempt at doing a human transmutation... It's the perfect plot! I just hope Arakawa doesn't use it... Although, I won't lie, it would *extremely* interesting if she did...
Colette
I doubt it. After all, Hughes was one of his closest friends, and when he mentioned human transmutation, Riza got pretty alarmed. Riza wouldn't want Roy to try and bring her back and I think Roy would take into consideration her wishes and what happened to Ed and Al. Roy's not an idiot and Riza isn't a helpless little girl. Wrath isn't an idiot either; He wouldn't kill the perfect hostage for Roy.
DarkHaze
Don't read it If you don't want to know what actually happens
[spoiler]She doesn't die[/spoiler]
Popogeejo
QUOTE(DarkHaze @ Oct 21 2006, 08:07 PM) [snapback]462708[/snapback]

Proof plz.
Tombow
QUOTE(DarkHaze @ Oct 21 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]462708[/snapback]

Whoa!! How do you know!!?? ohmy.gif
You know how the story ends?? Please tell us!!! Pueez!! biggrin.gif
Spoiler Below: Highlight text below to view.

wow, now, do you mean in... what chapter was it? Damn... 30 something... Of couse she didn't! Chapter 64 was just released and she was still in it! No one but Arakawa (and maybe her "people") know how the whole story is going to end...

I doubt it. After all, Hughes was one of his closest friends, and when he mentioned human transmutation, Riza got pretty alarmed. Riza wouldn't want Roy to try and bring her back and I think Roy would take into consideration her wishes and what happened to Ed and Al. Roy's not an idiot and Riza isn't a helpless little girl. Wrath isn't an idiot either; He wouldn't kill the perfect hostage for Roy.

I was kind of just arguing the whole "it's entirely possible" point - Arakawa's already proven in her work that she knows how human impulse works... that's all I'm going to say... Maybe you didn't read some of my earlier posts... ^^
bemused_non-alchemist
I basically agree with what has been said so far, namely that given the present situation Riza is unlikely to be killed by the Homonculi. However, that's assuming that she won't be killed/die of other reasons. It's always possible that she'll be killed in action, for example, but plot-wise I see little reason to dispose of her.

QUOTE(LadyHawke78 @ Oct 17 2006, 03:54 AM) [snapback]460693[/snapback]

At this point, she is in the middle of the Fuhrer's circle, where the main plans are, more than likely, going to be hatched. we also know that the Fuhrer has the 'ultimate eye', so perhaps he can detect the presence of this tattoo.

Sorry, but this makes the Fuhrer sound like he has pervo X-ray powers. XD He might very well find out about this tattoo, ultimate eye or no, which would make her all the more valuable to the dark side. Although admittedly, they don't particularly need her to be alive for this purpose.
Very good point. And they may not need her tatoo for other reasons as well: 1) the homuculi can't do alchemy, and even if they got someone else to do it for them 2) that person (probably Kimbley) is experienced enough that he could come up w/ a circle on his own...

Hawkeye probably won't be killed, but if Arakawa is going for the plot points, then I think that someone in Hawkeye's relative position will be... Havoc's already been [spoiler]paralyzed[/spoiler]!!
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(bemused_non-alchemist @ Oct 23 2006, 11:51 AM) [snapback]463931[/snapback]

Sorry, but this makes the Fuhrer sound like he has pervo X-ray powers. XD

OMG-- I am SO sorry if that post came across that way! I totally did not mean for it to sound like that! laugh.gif (It *did* kind of sound pervy when I went back and re-read the post...)
I just meant the fact that, if it were important somehow, perhaps the Homunculi could sense its presence.

True that the Homunculi cannot do alchemy... I did not think of that originally. I was just curious to see if Arakawa works this whole tattoo business back into the plot somehow. It's a pretty big hint to drop, and then just leave it hanging, IMO.

QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 23 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]463954[/snapback]

Hawkeye probably won't be killed, but if Arakawa is going for the plot points, then I think that someone in Hawkeye's relative position will be... Havoc's already been [spoiler]paralyzed[/spoiler]!!

A-ha. Excellent point, but... [spoiler]In a way, she *has* been paralyzed. Albeit, not in a physical sense, but by being reassigned to her current post, it will be difficult for her to act being she is under the Fuhrer's thumb so to speak.[/spoiler]
A-ha. Excellent point, but...
Highlight text below to view.
[spoiler]In a way, she *has* been paralyzed. Albeit, not in a physical sense, but by being reassigned to her current post, it will be difficult for her to act being she is under the Fuhrer's thumb so to speak.[/spoiler]

EXACTLY! All the greater oportunity/position for them to use her as a "bait" to get Roy to do something involving the stone - they could stage her death, even ... They're already using her as leverage to get him to "behave" - that's why Roy...

[spoiler] asked for help from Riza's grandfather... and yes, he is her grandfather - I think that was stated in one of the character bio guide book thingys...[/spoiler]

But I totally agree that the tatoo is going to have to come back in somewhere... maybe the part that Roy burned was the only "valuable" part to it... like he used the rest for his alchemy, but the part "covered up" is the key to some greater secret... I bet they'll have Kimbley do whatever it is they need done about it, though... Probably interrogate Roy or Riza, get them to spill...

Keep in mind that I don't want to see any of this happen, but it's all just so good, I can't see some of it *not* happening...
Colette
QUOTE(bemused_non-alchemist @ Oct 23 2006, 08:51 AM) [snapback]463931[/snapback]

Sorry, but this makes the Fuhrer sound like he has pervo X-ray powers. XD He might very well find out about this tattoo, ultimate eye or no, which would make her all the more valuable to the dark side. Although admittedly, they don't particularly need her to be alive for this purpose.

But he does! xD He used those powers on poor Martel!
Nepharski
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Oct 25 2006, 07:20 PM) [snapback]465674[/snapback]

QUOTE(bemused_non-alchemist @ Oct 23 2006, 08:51 AM) [snapback]463931[/snapback]

Bradley: I see you in that suit of armor.
Martel: D:
*Facestab.*
Alphonse: Brother, I got my memory back!
Bradley: I see you in that suit of armor.
Martel: D:
*Facestab.*
Alphonse: Brother, I got my memory back!

WHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!! laugh.gif That's terrible!!! ... Bwahahahaaaaa!!!
Sensenic
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Oct 26 2006, 04:20 AM) [snapback]465674[/snapback]

No he doesn't. I think.

Because if he had seen her, I guess he would've killed her immediately.

How did he know she was there, then, you ask? Perhaps the fact that she was strangling him from within Al and shouting "BRADLEEEEEEEYYY!!!!" in a voice completely different to Al's, which he had just heard, helped a little wink.gif

Further proof? He suspected there was someone within Al again when he was talking with the Elric brothers and Mustang and he pierced through Al to check (in his particular, cold-blooded Bradley style ™ ;p ) if there was or not. He would have pierced through the leg, had he seen Mei was there.

And no, he can use his power even with his patch on, as his easy killing of so many chimeras and beating of Greed from the beginning, way before he took the patch out, in the Devil's Nest prove. At least to me.
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 25 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]465629[/snapback]

EXACTLY! All the greater oportunity/position for them to use her as a "bait" to get Roy to do something involving the stone - they could stage her death, even ... They're already using her as leverage to get him to "behave" - that's why Roy...

[spoiler] asked for help from Riza's grandfather... and yes, he is her grandfather - I think that was stated in one of the character bio guide book thingys...[/spoiler]

But I totally agree that the tatoo is going to have to come back in somewhere...

OMG YES! I can't believe I forgot about that little tidbit of info... the message in the Chess set... that he gave to Roy... beware spoilers ahead!!!

[spoiler]For some reason I just didn't make the connection. I keep forgetting that Grumman is Riza's grandfather-- and apparently, also her last living relative. (He is on her mother;s side fo the family, so I'm not sure if he knows about the Alchemy, and the tattoo and all that stuff or not.)

We already know that Grumman is one of the "good guys" who is uninterested in the Fuhrer's plans. That's why he was sent to be stationed at East HQ. The chess set must have been an emergency way for Roy to communicate with him. In the scene where Grumman give the chess set to Roy, he *IS* seen saying something to the effect of "When you're Fuhrer, you can make this old man happy by taking my granddaughter as your First Lady." So yeah. I see this connection now. There is some important reason why Grumman dressed in drag to meet Roy in the graveyard... wink.gif

NOW I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THAT NOTE IN THE CHESS PEICE SAID!![/spoiler]

I guess I've been so focused on other "new" parts of the plot we saw in ch64 (namely the ScarBro research notes and the North Country stuff) that I totally overlooked the significance of these events in chapter 63.
Nepharski
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Oct 26 2006, 03:21 AM) [snapback]465832[/snapback]
And no, he can use his power even with his patch on, as his easy killing of so many chimeras and beating of Greed from the beginning, way before he took the patch out, in the Devil's Nest prove. At least to me.

I think he only wears the patch to avoid questions like, "I think you've got something in your eye." That, and it's trendy. He's a fuhrer out on the town.
Colette

No he doesn't. I think.

No no, I was refering to this, not the actual scene =P We were talking about pervy x-rays powers...
Panda_Battle
QUOTE(TheSnig @ Oct 14 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]459821[/snapback]

I think she might (but I dont want her to, she's one of my favourite characters), because after Wrath let Mustang escape after killing Lust, he said to father that he would make mustang open the gate (by trying a human transmutation), and he didn't try to revive Hughes. Although I don't know, because for now she is a hostage so that the homunculi can keep Mustang under control.

I hope he doesn't kill hawkeye she is on of my favorite characters too but he has many chances so he would have done it by now if he wanted to
Sensenic
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Oct 26 2006, 11:54 PM) [snapback]466051[/snapback]

No he doesn't. I think.

No no, I was refering to this, not the actual scene =P We were talking about pervy x-rays powers...

Ooops >.< Had completely forgotten about that yonkoma. My bad happy.gifU
I think he only wears the patch to avoid questions like, "I think you've got something in your eye." That, and it's trendy. He's a fuhrer out on the town.

Hahahahaaaa! laugh.gif

I hope he doesn't kill hawkeye she is on of my favorite characters too but he has many chances so he would have done it by now if he wanted to

I know, me too - but, we already know just how conniving the Homunculi are - I don't think that, if they want to kill her, that is, they've had "the" opportunity yet... They're waiting for it to be convenient for them. Speaking of chess, they too are like chess players - really, really good ones! They plan and they look ahead, and if something "bad" happens they take it in stride and make it to their advantage ...
[spoiler]such as Roy and Ed finding out about Bradley being a homunculi... while it probably would've happened in a round-about way eventually, it gave Bradley the opportunity to cut of the head of the snake, so to speak - that is, splitting Roy up from his subordinates...[/spoiler]

So yeah...

LadyHawkeye78 - Heehee! I can't wait to see what happens w/ those two yahoos! (ie Grunmann and Roy...)
CowAlchemist
I hope she won't be killed. x_x

She's an awesome character.

But I think the tattoo on her back will come in handy eventually. I was curious why that was put into the plotline, then dropped.
Yeah, it certainly is quite a heavy pice of info...
Keoni
I actually think she will be killed. *ducks*
Not right away, for previously stated reasons, but eventually, yes she will. It would be great story telling and it would open up a whole range of possibe actions. Roy totally loosing it and going head to head with Wrath being just one of them.

I really don't want her to die, though sad.gif
I ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!!

I agree for the same reasons, too, which I have been stating, although in much larger, not-quite-so-easy-to-swallow sentences.

Finally, I have a friend! smile.gif

*I don't want her to die, either, but for story purposes she may...* We'll see, though!!

Only about 10 or 11 more days until chapter 64! ohmy.gif

How many did Arakawa say she was planning on there being?
Colette
Riza dying would be far too cliche, way too predictable, and a little Mary Sueish in my opinion. I doubt very much she'll die, but that's me.

But I'd like to hope Arakawa is a better writer than that >.<
Mary Sueish
????

How so?? huh.gif

Hmm, I'll have to argue on that one - by doing it she'll prove she's a good writer - being cliche would be letting nothing happen to her - which is what everyone wants. wink.gif I'm not necessarily saying that she will die, but something big will happen to her - I would be shocked to say the least if nothing did happen. Cliche is a happy ending where no one gets hurt. And in Arakawa's novels, like the real world, eveyone gets hurt sooner or later - unfortunately, that's life, and Arakawa has proven already that her works are about as non-fiction as fiction can possibly get. She ain't no Walt Disney! (sorry, my southern accent got the better of me... I really don't have one, I swear!)
Colette
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Nov 4 2006, 11:29 PM) [snapback]470080[/snapback]
Mary Sueish
????

How so?? huh.gif

Well, think about it. We just got a huge look in on Riza's past. If she died soon, the focus would be back on her again, and it would be as if she was the only girl character with a tragic past who dies for a cause. Not to mention the HUGE impact it would have on so many characters; Roy, Havoc, Falmon, Breda, Fuery, Ed, Al, Winry, ect. All of those aspects would be Mary Sueish.

QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Nov 4 2006, 11:29 PM) [snapback]470080[/snapback]

Hmm, I'll have to argue on that one - by doing it she'll prove she's a good writer - being cliche would be letting nothing happen to her - which is what everyone wants. wink.gif I'm not necessarily saying that she will die, but something big will happen to her - I would be shocked to say the least if nothing did happen. Cliche is a happy ending where no one gets hurt. And in Arakawa's novels, like the real world, eveyone gets hurt sooner or later - unfortunately, that's life, and Arakawa has proven already that her works are about as non-fiction as fiction can possibly get. She ain't no Walt Disney! (sorry, my southern accent got the better of me... I really don't have one, I swear!)

It really wouldn't prove she was a good writer; this whole thread is about the possibility of Riza dying. If we could predict that, that probably isn't good. Who here honestly predicted Ling turning into Greed? Pretty much no one, and that added to the aspect of that plot twist being, in my eyes, superb. Of course something big is going to happen to her; she's a main character and we just focused in on her the brought the focus out. SOMETHING is going to happen to her, which doesn't mean she's going to die.

Cliche isn't necassarily an ending where everyone is living and happy. Besides, we already know Roy isn't going to be happy because Hughes died. Adding Riza to Roy's angst would make him go all emo like he was in the movie and I don't want to hate Roy's character again >.>
riza hawkeye 9
Adding Riza to Roy's angst would make him go all emo like he was in the movie and I don't want to hate Roy's character again >.>

tottally agreed ...roy and riza in the movie .. no coments

i still don't buy that she is going to die , but i'm pretty sure that she will suffer an injury or something just to scary roy .. and i was thinking about what could happen and perharps the homunculus can fake her death you know .. don't kill her but make roy believes that they did and this way force him to open the gate ...and when he is giving up of his life riza came and save him ( okay now is just my creative mind 'cause i don't think its gonna happen - the riza part- but it will be nice happy.gif )...well this way they would have a chance to be together an have a happy ending ^^..........well lets see ....chap .65 in threee days \o/
Arantzain
"Roy and Riza in the movie" . . . le sigh.

I'm sorry, I'm working on a fiction that pulls from the movie for its startpoint. I have had to do BACKFLIPS to explain what Roy was thinking, haring off to the North and whining for two years. So this is sort of a subject-of-momentary-angst for me.

As for the original subject of the post:

1) I don't want her to die. So I am going to assume she's going to, and refuse to get my hopes up.

2) From the author's perspective, this is the time when the stakes need to go up dramatically. Death is a good way of introducing tension. [spoiler]To put it in perspective: Hughes died in 15. Greed and Co. died in 31-ish. Ling <arguably> died in 54. Each death has ushered in major plot twists and significant diversions --and in fact, we're due for another. I'm voting for Scar. tongue.gif[/spoiler]

All that said --I don't think Riza's going to die. Yet, at least.

I agree with Summoner Colette that Riza's death would aggrandize her character out of proportion. She is a protagonist, not -the- protagonist. Martyring her now would be counterproductive.

Attendant on this: Riza is incredibly useful where she is. If the author has information she wants to sneak us about the Homunculi (and especially if she wants to work on our perceptions of Bradley) this is the natural avenue for that information.

Similarly, Riza is a better hostage than she is a corpse. I know this has been said, but I don't think it can be emphasized enough. As long as Bradley has Riza, he has Roy's measure.

Right now Roy's goal is beyond his reach, and so he's can still afford to be moved by emotion. When Bradley pulls the "Hawkeye" string, then, Roy responds. But if the Flame Alchemist gets within spitting distance of overthrowing the Homunculi, do you really think that he'll falter at a threat to Riza? (And do you really believe Riza would allow him to?)

If Bradley wants to know what Roy's up to, all he's got to do is exert a little pressure on Riza. Depending on how quickly Roy responds, Bradley will be able to gage his progress.

Anyway: I think we're all in agreement that SOMETHING will happen to Riza. I'm more interested in WHAT.

There *are* fates worse than death. Being Bradley's assistant is not one of them. It is dangerous, but in a passive, uncomfortable way.

I can see her being maimed, I guess, but that would just seem to be a repeat of the Havoc incident.

A much more interesting tactic would be to turn Riza to the "dark side" --either by causing her to have doubts about Roy, or Homunculizing her. (As we saw with Bradley, nobody said the transformation was voluntary.) I dunno that I like the idea of her as Gluttony, but as Lust? You gotta admit, it'd be interesting. x.x

I have to admit that I really do not understand where all this speculation about Riza being used to chivvy Roy into opening the Gate comes from.

My understanding is that the Homunculi want gate-openers for two things: Sacrifices, and the final person who will be directing/focusing Xerxes-esque Transmutation that will cast God down. (Or whatever it is, quite, that they're trying to do.)

I'm assuming that Father will be at the heart of that "Devour Amestris in a Night" vortex. So . . . they need another potential sacrifice, and Roy seems likely to survive the experience. I'm fine with the reasoning to there.

I don't understand how Riza has anything (really) to do with that. By now, Ed and Al know that a dead human cannot be brought back. There's no indication in the Manga that a Philosopher's Stone makes it possible to revive the dead, either. I don't know if Ed and Al have shared their discovery with Roy, yet (they did have a prolonged car ride where they talked about alchemical things in 63). But I can't imagine that they won't tell him. Maybe when they get back from the north.

In effect: I have no idea why Roy would try to Transmute Riza back to life (especially, but not only if, he knew that the effort would fail.) "He loves her" isn't a sufficient reason to me. Roy knows what she expects of him, what Hughes died to promote. If he died, or seriously injured himself in a failed transmutation, he would be wasting all of their efforts. Riza really would KILL him the next time she saw him.

Just my meanderings on the subject, anyway. ^^

-Arantzain
pawnedbyme
I don't want hawkeye to die i like her biggrin.gif
QUOTE(Arantzain @ Nov 12 2006, 01:47 AM) [snapback]472656[/snapback]
Right now Roy's goal is beyond his reach, and so he's can still afford to be moved by emotion. When Bradley pulls the "Hawkeye" string, then, Roy responds. But if the Flame Alchemist gets within spitting distance of overthrowing the Homunculi, do you really think that he'll falter at a threat to Riza? (And do you really believe Riza would allow him to?)

If Bradley wants to know what Roy's up to, all he's got to do is exert a little pressure on Riza. Depending on how quickly Roy responds, Bradley will be able to gage his progress.

Anyway: I think we're all in agreement that SOMETHING will happen to Riza. I'm more interested in WHAT.

-Arantzain

Good points! About the "Riza" string, though... Depending on the circumstances, I think it's possible that he could be manipulated, even though Riza *wouldn't* want it, you're right.

But, the homunculi are bound to test his limits, though, aren't they?

So yeah, I guess I agree to an extent - Riza may not die, but something will sure as heck happen to her! Now we just have to wait and watch... I think she'll get cut up somehow... *ponders*

I'm doing an anime-based fanfiction, too... I didn't find it too hard, though, about his running away and all... I didn't really go back and explain, mostly just focusing on the current effects and whatnot... If you want to, pm me and we'll bounce ideas off of each other! smile.gif
Arantzain
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Nov 25 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]477734[/snapback]
I'm doing an anime-based fanfiction, too... I didn't find it too hard, though, about his running away and all... I didn't really go back and explain, mostly just focusing on the current effects and whatnot... If you want to, pm me and we'll bounce ideas off of each other! smile.gif

Done and done!

I am so interested to see what Wrath plans to do to "test" Roy.

When does 66 come out again? /flail.

-Rantza
riza hawkeye 9
I have to admit that I really do not understand where all this speculation about Riza being used to chivvy Roy into opening the Gate comes from.

wrath said so in chapter 40

http://www.readmanga.com/view.php?currtitl...p=040&img=8

he don't say that he will use her specificaly but in the currents events in manga , and as she is the one that is being used as hostage i really believe that they will use her to force him open tthe gate or help to do so in some way , after what wrath saw in roy vs lust battle , i'm sure that he decides that would be her who must be threanted to force roy to do what the homunculus want or to keep him in line
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.