Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do Over!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Popogeejo
Which anime series do you think could do with an update?
By update I don't mean a new series but taking an old sereis (Like NGE) and re-animating it.

As I jusy said I think Eva would really fit the bill. The Series is nicly animated but is starting to date, plus I hear later episode ran into funding problems which effected the quality.
FMA4ever
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Oct 12 2006, 06:33 PM) [snapback]458948[/snapback]

By update I don't mean a new series but taking an old sereis (Like NGE) and re-animating it.

As I jusy said I think Eva would really fit the bill. The Series is nicly animated but is starting to date, plus I hear later episode ran into funding problems which effected the quality.

Yeah! Evangelion would be awesome to remake! biggrin.gif
asunder
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Oct 12 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]458948[/snapback]

eva is a pretty recent series .-. it first aired 10 years ago...

On September 9, 2006, Gainax confirmed a new animated film series called Rebuild of Evangelion, consisting of four movies to be released in 2007 and 2008. The first three movies will be an alternate retelling of the TV series (including many new scenes, settings, backgrounds, characters), and the fourth movie will be a completely new conclusion to the story.

interestingly enough this season they've remade kanon which is an anime (based off a hentai game) that came out 2 years ago .-.
Popogeejo
I am aware of the new films (and slightly concerned about them but thats for the Eva thread) and 10 years is along time in animation technology. I'd love to see CowboyBebop and Eva brought up to date.
Ergo Proxy was better animated than most feature films I've seen ()admitidly not alot.

Think Dragon Ball could look these days.
Toby-Chan
While I think it's best not to touch something near perfection, I wouldn't mind seeing the Utena TV series looking a little less grainy in image quality. It'd be interesting to see it done again with digital cel animation this time.
Fushi
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Oct 13 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]459224[/snapback]

While I think it's best not to touch something near perfection, I wouldn't mind seeing the Utena TV series looking a little less grainy in image quality. It'd be interesting to see it done again with digital cel animation this time.

More like the movie in other words? =)

Utena was actually the first one that came to my mind too, however, for a while I've been under the impression that they intentionally did it that way, because I'm sure I saw some animes from the same time period that had better animation. But then again I'm not quite sure how many years ago Utena was done, I only have an estimate. =/
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Oct 13 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]459234[/snapback]

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Oct 13 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]459224[/snapback]

More like the movie in other words? =)

Utena was actually the first one that came to my mind too, however, for a while I've been under the impression that they intentionally did it that way, because I'm sure I saw some animes from the same time period that had better animation. But then again I'm not quite sure how many years ago Utena was done, I only have an estimate. =/

Haha, yeah.

It was in 1997, so compare it to NGE, and Cowboy Bebop the next year.

It is possible that the older look was intentional; seeing as Utena was highly stylistically influenced from 1970's animation, namely 'Rose of Versailles'.

It might also be a budget constraint, as the series was 39 episodes, and a lot of focus had to be placed on other details possibly to make up for it; character design, the color scheme, backdrop symbolism, etc. Whatever is done, though, it all seems to work towards a greater purpose in the story. Even when footage is reused, for example; it doesn't feel like a typical Magicalgirl-esque copout; it feels like all repeated frames have some purpose to the scheme of things.

But, we did get to see the movie, so that's all good. biggrin.gif
beyondredemption
I am aware of the new films (and slightly concerned about them but thats for the Eva thread) and 10 years is along time in animation technology. I'd love to see CowboyBebop and Eva brought up to date.

Do not, under any circumstances, try to mess with Cowboy Bebop. Even if it is an older series, I happen to think that it is perfect as is, and cannot be improved upon.
DarkHaze
Neon Genesis has been refined already.

Here's a scene from the renewed version

It is all sold out all over Asias already after its recent release smile.gif

Unbelievable refining!

IPB Image
Le Monkey
QUOTE(beyondredemption @ Oct 17 2006, 01:02 AM) [snapback]460842[/snapback]

Do not, under any circumstances, try to mess with Cowboy Bebop. Even if it is an older series, I happen to think that it is perfect as is, and cannot be improved upon.

You will find that the segestion wasnt to try and improve the anime, just take the grainyness out of some of the images, I will agree with you that some places its good to to have a litle grain, "Eg flashback parts" but I do think if it was just cleaned up it would be a good thing
Popogeejo
Technicaly a full reanimatoin could be tasty.
Compare a normal Ep of Azumanga to the OVA.

It's not like I'm suggesting we get rd of the original version in favour of the revamped version.

Neon Genesis has been refined already.

Here's a scene from the renewed version

It is all sold out all over Asias already after its recent release

And very pretty it is but compared to someting like Ergo proxy or Fate/stay night it still has a slightly dated look. I'm not saying it's bad (I really like it) but that doesn't mean we can't entertain the idea of a totaly redone version.
asunder
Giant Robo is also getting a makeover:

http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6939

40th anniversary special ...details sketchy on if this is a new series or just a movie/ova.

read more here: http://www.gr-anime.com/
beyondredemption
QUOTE(Le Monkey @ Oct 17 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]461064[/snapback]

QUOTE(beyondredemption @ Oct 17 2006, 01:02 AM) [snapback]460842[/snapback]

You will find that the segestion wasnt to try and improve the anime, just take the grainyness out of some of the images, I will agree with you that some places its good to to have a litle grain, "Eg flashback parts" but I do think if it was just cleaned up it would be a good thing

Maybe, but that grainy-ness gives the animation a warmth that newer versions tend to lack. It's like when people went to CD's instead of cassettes-they gained better quality, but lost the warm audio sound when they went digital. If Cowboy Bebop was all crisp and clear, it just would not be the same.
Le Monkey
QUOTE(beyondredemption @ Oct 17 2006, 10:02 PM) [snapback]461181[/snapback]

Maybe, but that grainy-ness gives the animation a warmth that newer versions tend to lack. It's like when people went to CD's instead of cassettes-they gained better quality, but lost the warm audio sound when they went digital. If Cowboy Bebop was all crisp and clear, it just would not be the same.

WEll it would bring the anime forward and bring in more money, and that is the ONLY reason it would ever be done IMO, money.

And you would prefer all of your music on tapes and your videos on VHS?

I am much happyer with my music as MP3s and Videos as digital avis and such, lol
GunGrave101
yeah i'd love to cowboy bebop re-animated
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I'm curious why Cowboy Bebop in mentioned in this thread. The animation was nice and it's not that old.

How about some reprints of Gatchamon?
Migchao
CRAP, WRONG THREAD!
asunder
they need to remake macross!

specifically the macross do you rememeber love movie <3
beyondredemption
And you would prefer all of your music on tapes and your videos on VHS?

Actually, I just prefer songs that I've first heard in cassette mode on cassette, and newer ones on CD. As for movies, even if they're on DVD, they rarely do a lot of touching up on them, so I only keep a few of my favorite VHS. Plus, it saves money on buying the same DVD for a movie I like.
Quistis88
I want them to redo Pygmalio, with no changes to the storyline or characters whatsoever and just the animation quality, even if that one looked really nice when I watched it in my childhood. If they redo it, then I could actually download it.
beyondredemption
Maybe Sailor Moon should be reanimated. When I was a kid, I loved it, but looking back, the animation quality was pretty crappy. Unlike Cowboy Bebop, it would do really well with a rehaul.
Popogeejo
I'm curious why Cowboy Bebop in mentioned in this thread. The animation was nice and it's not that old.

It was just the first "non current" anime that came to mind. It still looks Ace and at most just needs abit of digital love to sharpen the colours.
Nepharski
After seeing Mad House' update of Hellsing, one wonders what they could do with Trigun.
Popogeejo
Having seen a remake of a series from 2002 (Kanon) I really think NGE or Cowboy Bebop should get a remake. (Yes, I'm back to this again.)
Kyotostudio would do an amazing job with NGE if they were given a decent budget. (Plus they have the voice talents.)
I'm not saying the original versions are bad, they're amazing, but that shouldn't mean they couldn't have a remake.
*Random musings*
Haruka_The_Alchemist
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Oct 21 2006, 02:12 AM) [snapback]462549[/snapback]
After seeing Mad House' update of Hellsing, one wonders what they could do with Trigun.

Yeah I wander that too.

I would like to see a remake of Tokyo Bablyon (hopfully a series unsure.gif ). smile.gif
edsgirl
I was talking about this yesterday on another forum, but I have a couple. Ronin Warriors, Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac),Voltron, Fist of the North Star, The original Gundam Wing and not one of it's spinoffs.

Zarpia
QUOTE(edsgirl @ Jan 21 2007, 09:58 PM) [snapback]496334[/snapback]
I was talking about this yesterday on another forum, but I have a couple.Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac)
I agree, I loved NoZ, I saw the series and everything when I was younger, and I would download it again or heck even buy it if it were to be remake.
Little Washu
I'd like to see Super Gals 2: Heart of Shibuya reanimated. It's not a movie, it's the sequel to the origanal series (which I've never seen) but I really like it. But ya know, some animw is better off being left the way it is (was). Like the 'Tenchi Muyo!' series. It was on Toonami when I was in 2nd grade and I didn't care about the old-ish animation, but I also like the way the old animation had that kinda' 'appeal'. Like 'Dragon Ball'. I think 'Tenchi Muyo!' is about 10 years old. Like Pokemon. But anyway, they made another saga 'Ryo-ohki' with better animation but I hate it. I also hate it cause they changed the voices. I would watch it if they didn't screw around with the voices.
~Kurenai~
hnm, lupin the 3rd?

cowboybebop definitely and big o
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.