Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 64 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Reta McClain
This chapter is one big O_O I wore that expression whole time I was "reading" this chapter.

I think Selim was cute looking through his meeting with Elric Bros. So innocent and... uh... clueless?

Darn, I thought the person with Mei in chapter 63 was Yoki. I was sure about it.

Notes... I think we'll see them more closely in couple of next chapters. (Did I spell that one right? Being from somewhere where English isn't everyday thing can be hard in web...)

I almost fell from my chair when Kimbley found that person in cloak... I was sure it was Marcoh. But when I found out it was Yoki I just... started to giggle.

Scar vs. Kimbley... Scary... Two blow-people-up persons against each other...

Ed vs. Bakkaki(?!) was interesting. Was that chainshaw-thingy auto-mail?! Was he trying to break Ed's arm? (It looks like it... to me.)

What the f*!@ Garfiel is wearing? Does anyone here have a clue??? Because I don't...

O_O Mj. Gen. Armstrong is cool. (I think I just found someone whom I could copy hairstyle... I have already copied Ed's and Riza's. laugh.gif And Hoho-papa's.)

Edward's expressions were funny tongue.gif The one when Selim (probably) called him tiny...

*goes somewhere to wait patiently scanlation*
Antimony
I think it's cool that automail is becoming more important to the story. The chainsaw guy must have some pretty special machinery to not be affected by Ed's alchemy. By contrast, the frozen climate has taken a toll on Ed's arm and leg, and we saw how uncomfortable he was in the desert. As a Winry fan, I hope she'll get more involved and make limbs Ed can use in any environment, but it may not be until this story arc is done with.
Chiyo
*agrees with Antimony* I do think we saw Winry for a reason, even if it was just a page. As said above Ed is having issues with his auto-mail and he can't carry on in pain. But then this crocodile clip of an auto-mail man might have someone who can see Ed instead (hopes not)
Wyrd_Raven
Well if automail is like any machinery, I think ed needs to get his winterized. Its obvious that extreme temperatures affect the nerve-automail reaction time. This may mean that Ed is going to need Automail for different temp regions now. THE FOUR ARMED ALCHEMIST!
AA battery
orz TT____TT

There is no free download slot available

*sighs and continues to retry*
Tombow
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Oct 11 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]458310[/snapback]

It keeps telling me no free download space....thats a dirty lie... I'm gonna keep trying till I can get it.
@Chiyo - The link seems working fine now... unsure.gif
Chiyo
Yea I got it fine, I just had to keep trying
Animeoldtimer
QUOTE(Kirara @ Oct 11 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]458313[/snapback]

Armstrong’s sister’s reaction was the most unexpected thing for me this chapter. I mean she’s Armstrong’s sister. But I still expect her to be one of the good guys. Apparently she said she wanted to judge people for themselves. I am sure Ed and Al will win her over.

I was just thinking about that. The conclusion I came up with was that maybe she is tired of her identity as an Armstrong and wants to think for herself. Maybe his constant bragging drove her crazy and that's why she wanted to be stationed up North.
GS4Life

Well I'm guessing Armstong of the North isn't as loving as the Strong Armed Alchemist. If Garfiel turns out to be Pride I will commit suicide, he sure seems to have a lot of uh gay Pride(Not that there is anything wrong with that,but Garfiel seems to make it wrong). The lack of Greed and RanFan is really depressing. They need to have some kind of interaction already it's been Ten Chapters since Ling became Greed. Where do they stand? One minute it seems as though Ling will marry RanFan(if Xing allows that that is), then poof..........and nothing much more about Ling following that(Kay he's fighting to gain control and.............and!?). Looking at Armstrong's sister, I wonder if Riza and Martel did some kind of fusion dance<_<
Kirara
This is taken from Umeko's translation

Letters of introduction have no meaning to me.
I don't need evaluations from other people.
I judge people with my own eyes.

Come in, Fullmetal Alchemist.
A word of precaution: I will not treat you as a child.
This is Briggs, the land of natural defense.
A world of survival of the fittest.

Anyways from this I would gather that Armstrong's sister is not necessarily a bad person

I suppose she should take her brother's word but I also respect that she wants to judge people herself. I guess the North is a tough place and you can't trust people too easily. Of course I don't know how things are going to turn out but Ed and Al gaining Olivier's (or however you spell it) respect will probably be more valuable to them in the long run then her trusting them right away because of Armstrong's letter.

Well she has only appeared for a few panels but I am already a fan of her.
Nekokitty
Yay! Chapter 64! I'm crazy'I'm at school right now and I'm downloading it but the school computer is too slow!! Can't wait to look at it!! laugh.gif
MasterKris
GAH!!
Chap 64 is out already! (also, how long was it since I posted in this place? huh.gif)
Gotta download! O_O
Nepharski
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Oct 11 2006, 02:03 AM) [snapback]458231[/snapback]

(with an "uneventful trip for once", indeed, Neph wink.gif )

But then that would mean that...Baka is Pride!?!? ohmy.gif

I kid. Maybe. You knew someone would say it.

On a deeper not, The Elrics meeting with Salim further confirms my suspicion that Bradley might not be entirely under Wrath's control. Reading the translation is certainly enlightening; Mrs. Bradley has no idea what she's dealing with; she dated the living incarnation of Wrath and slapped the sin in the face. Bet ya don't hear about that in the knitting circle.
Tombow
QUOTE(Kirara @ Oct 11 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]458408[/snapback]
I would gather that Armstrong's sister is not necessarily a bad person

I suppose she should take her brother's word but I also respect that she wants to judge people herself. I guess the North is a tough place and you can't trust people too easily. Of course I don't know how things are going to turn out but Ed and Al gaining Olivier's (or however you spell it) respect will probably be more valuable to them in the long run then her trusting them right away because of Armstrong's letter.

Well she has only appeared for a few panels but I am already a fan of her.
@Kirara - I totally agree!! I never got the impression that she's a bad person.
Indeed, she seems to be totally awsome figure!! Her subordiantes rock, and I love the way she didn't go for brother Alex's letter, and said she would trust her own assessment.
Uber cool, IMO!! cool.gif
Antimony
Is anyone else wondering if Armstrong's sister is also an alchemist? It would be nice to have another female character besides Izumi who can use alchemy.
Reta McClain
Antimony: Why not? If Katherine Armstrong (Side Story in volume 7: The Second Lieutenant Goes to Battle!) normally picks up piano rolleyes.gif then why Olivia(?!) wouldn't be playing around with alchemy?
Her second name could be something like Blade Alchemist, because that sword she was holding in the end of chapter 63.

*waits the scanlation*
riza hawkeye 9
Is anyone else wondering if Armstrong's sister is also an alchemist? It would be nice to have another female character besides Izumi who can use alchemy.

Antimony : yeah that would be nice too , since her brother is an alchemist and also in the military i guess it would be possible 'cause we know almost nothing about her ..

i guess this chapter is really a kind of prologue ....and have to agree with the coments that were made a few pages ago....that now we are absolutelly clueless about whats gonna happen in the next chapter ( thats is soooooooo exciting ^^)

Kirara and Tombow : i totally agrree with you guys !!! she's uber cool !!!
and i love what she said to the elrics about the letter and how she preffers making her own opinios !!! that was so cool !!!!!!
Panda_Battle
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Oct 2 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]454470[/snapback]

Democracy at a 520 Cenz discount? That's a steal!

As GreedLing ponders the merits of single flesh-colored glove, Trinity...I mean, Ran Fan seeks medical attention. While Knox has a pep talk with God, Kimbley, tired of being just a plot device for 50 chapters and running, begins his new life as a trick watchmaker with some assassinations on the side (Cover the bills, you know). Elsewhere, Roy meets with a very-much-Gummerman-and-not-very-much-Pride-whatsoever-nope-no-Pride-here in a dress; Immortal armies, religion 101, and Raven's inherantly creepy smile will never be the same. Finally, Edward and Armstrong meet in a library (also mysteriously not Pride IPB Image), deciding to head for the northern boarder, guarded by Sir Not Appearing In This Manga for generations.

Yeah, I probably overdid that.

So discuss!

that was really confusing i don't understand it but it might be true:D
Tombow
Another thing... this part just cautght my attention...
QUOTE(Kirara @ Oct 11 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]458313[/snapback]
I remember reading Arakawa saying that once the story moves North things are going to move quickly towards the climax. So I guess that is what we are starting to see here.
(Bolding by me.)

Does "climax" mean... ending of FMA manga???!!! Does this mean from this point on, the FMA manga will move quickly toward the end of the series??
If so, how much longer/shorter do we have till the end of FMA manag??

I'm begining to worry, because we also know that Arakawa-sensei's another (new) manga series, Juu shin Enbu will start October 21st, with the GanGan Powered magazine, too!!

This is kind of scary thought!! ohmy.gif
Nepharski
There is such a thing as a mid-story climax. Graphing the flow of a story often has a build up to one central event, from which everything else snowballs. When you watch a tragedy, things usually start to go wrong in the third act. That's for a reason.

If reaching the North means a climax, I wouldn't worry to much. It only means it's the beginning of the end, not the end itself.
Tombow
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Oct 13 2006, 01:51 AM) [snapback]459133[/snapback]
There is such a thing as a mid-story climax. Graphing the flow of a story often has a build up to one central event, from which everything else snowballs. When you watch a tragedy, things usually start to go wrong in the third act. That's for a reason.

If reaching the North means a climax, I wouldn't worry to much. It only means it's the beginning of the end, not the end itself.
@Nepharski - That makes sense!! Thanks, I feel much better now!! biggrin.gif
Sensenic
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Oct 13 2006, 07:51 AM) [snapback]459133[/snapback]

Yes, I believe there is a mid-story climax in FMA. But I also believe we've already gone through it.

I mean, all those last chapters before the Ishval FB were all so climatic... And they meant many a turnpoint indeed: what about the main guys knowing about the whole top of the country being corrupted and Bradley and hommunculus? What about Ed & Al meeting Father and thus knowing who is behind everything? What about Ed confirming his theory on Al on the most OMG-some way there could be (chapter 53 was so, so good...)? etc.

My personal theory is that FMA will have around 30 volumes, with the Ishval FB (volume 15) marking half the way. So I believe we're beginning the 2nd half now.
But of course, that's just speculation.
Kirara
I think I agree with Nepharski and this is the beginning of the end. I also heard that the manga was going to be about 20 volumes. But don't quote me on that because I can never find an official source for this.
Buddi-chan
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Oct 13 2006, 01:51 AM) [snapback]459133[/snapback]

Right. The way a story is normally set up, the climax is the peak of the conflict, and then comes the deneument, or the falling action, in which the plot is finally resolved. So yes, we are nearing the end (as horrifying as that is), but there's still a lot more to come. smile.gif
Antimony
I just remembered another important thing to look forward to in this current arc--Hohenheim! We already know he's up in the Briggs mountains somewhere, and if the main cast is going to be there for a while they're bound to run into him at some point.
Kirara
QUOTE(Antimony @ Oct 13 2006, 05:40 PM) [snapback]459394[/snapback]

I just remembered another important thing to look forward to in this current arc--Hohenheim! We already know he's up in the Briggs mountains somewhere, and if the main cast is going to be there for a while they're bound to run into him at some point.

Oh you are right. I am excited to see him again. smile.gif

We might also get Falman since he was stationed in the North.
riza hawkeye 9
yeah .. i almost forgot about Hohenheim ....hope he appears soon...we still need to now what about him and father ^^

and yeah... falman too....we will probally see him

Reika
I have a question: If this really is the beginning of the end... why are Roy and Roytachi SO out of it?
Greed The Homuculi
hey where can i read chapter 64 and 63, i have only read up to 62.
Tombow
QUOTE(Reika @ Oct 14 2006, 07:47 PM) [snapback]459863[/snapback]
I have a question: If this really is the beginning of the end... why are Roy and Roytachi SO out of it?
@Reika - Haha, good point!! XDD Maybe they are behind the scene and secretly planning the counter attack?? biggrin.gif (Hey, we can hope. tongue.gif )

And, @Antimony - Thanks for reminding us about Hohenheim!! This is getting so interestng!! cool.gif

@Greed The Homuculi - For chapter 63: Visit ZOMGFT, or, Scroll down to the bottom
Chapter 64 scanlation will be out on ZOMGFT soon (Not out yet. We are all waiting!! smile.gif )
Reika
Even if they are, Arakawa always explains it, so it'll take her another while to end the manga.... she first has to place EVERY character where they must be, give us the explanation, and then give us their conclussion and the final ending. I'm counting about 5 volumes at least, before the ending.
Sannom

Because they are OUT the main plot for a moment. Now the story is focused on Ed/Al and Scar's Team, not Mustang's Team. They had their great moment of glory, now is the turn of the scarred man.
Sensenic
QUOTE(Kirara @ Oct 14 2006, 03:06 AM) [snapback]459402[/snapback]

QUOTE(Antimony @ Oct 13 2006, 05:40 PM) [snapback]459394[/snapback]

Oh you are right. I am excited to see him again. smile.gif

We might also get Falman since he was stationed in the North.

Yohoho... hold yer horses there... I'd like to remind you we haven't been told where Hohenheim is yet. It's true that he is in a mountain area and that, for plot reasons and the like, it's most probable to be the Briggs mountains BUT it was never said so in that brief appearance of his in chapter 54, the Briggs mountains has become kinda fan-made fact, but not official yet, so don't rush it.

In fact, there seems to be a difference between the mountains Hoho was in (low, no snow in them) and how Briggs are depicted in both this last chapter and Izumi's gaiden: tall, peaky and with a really wild weather.
Yes I know this proves nothing, but it's just a little thing I observed.

I still believe he's on Briggs too, anyway. Just reminding you that it's not necessarily so, though. happy.gif
QUOTE(Sannom @ Oct 15 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]460083[/snapback]

Because they are OUT the main plot for a moment. Now the story is focused on Ed/Al and Scar's Team, not Mustang's Team. They had their great moment of glory, now is the turn of the scarred man.

There.

Be patient, my young padawan tongue.gif, after all Roy's the character "number 3" in this story. He'll appear sooner or later.
Scars Right Arm
QUOTE(Greed The Homuculi @ Oct 14 2006, 10:23 PM) [snapback]459943[/snapback]

hey where can i read chapter 64 and 63, i have only read up to 62.

if you're still looking for chapter 64, i made a scanlation a few days ago. you can find it Here
Reika
@sannom & sensenic: I wasn't reffering to that, little padawans, XDDD I know why they aren't being shown, I was just trying to make a point at why it wouldn't end as soon as it seems it will.
Kirara
I still believe he's on Briggs too, anyway. Just reminding you that it's not necessarily so, though

I know it's just a theory and not definite. smile.gif

I think Briggs is a very good guess since that is where the story is moving but Arakawa could have purposely made us think that just like she purposely tried to make people assume Hohenheim and Father were the same.

However we will see Hohenheim again whether he is in Briggs or somewhere else and I am excited to get back to his story regardless of where he is. Although I do hope it is in Briggs because I want more Hohenheim/Ed interaction.

@sannom & sensenic: I wasn't reffering to that, little padawans, XDDD I know why they aren't being shown, I was just trying to make a point at why it wouldn't end as soon as it seems it will.

Saying it's going to end soon doesn't mean 1 chapter. I would say there is still more than a year left which gives plenty of time for things to wrap up for all the main plots. But just considering this manga has gone on for 5 years, a little over a year is not long at all.
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Kirara @ Oct 11 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]458408[/snapback]

Anyways from this I would gather that Armstrong's sister is not necessarily a bad person

Hmmm... I have been reading similar discussions on this topic on other forums/LJ groups, and I have to agree with you, Kirara. Aside from Maj. Gen. Armstrong's intimidating presence (I read on another forum that she looks like "Martel and Riza's illigitamiate love-child." LOL!) I think she is going to turn out to be a strong ally for the Elrics and Mustang's group.

I'm basing this theory on the evidence that Arakawa threw out there in previous chapters that seems to indicate that any of those who would 'oppose' the Fuhrer's plan have been sent far away from Central. When Lt. Gen. Grumman is speaking with Mustang in chapter 63, he mentions that he had a conversation with Raven back in the day when he was stationed at Central. Upon expressing disinterest in Raven's "Immortal Army", Grumman was relocated to East HQ. (More than likely to get him out of the way of the Fuhrer's plan.) I have a feeling that this "opposition" to the Fuhrer's ambitions is also the reason why Gen. Armstrong was sent to guard the Drachma border in the North.

Both Grumman and Armstrong are among the highest ranking officers we've been introduced to so far, so Bradley and his comrades woudl be wise to get them as far away from their base of operations as they can.

Opinions? blink.gif

Tombow
^^ @LadyHawke78 - Welcome to the forums!! biggrin.gif
Yes, I agree with you. That, and her being an Armstrong family, and other stuff Kirara and others have pointed out, all indicate she will be an awsome ally!! smile.gif
Sassa-san
Where can you download this chapter? Is it translated too? I've searched for it but I only find StopTazmos site who "only" have chapters 1-63. I would really appreciate your help! smile.gif
Tombow
QUOTE(Sassa-san @ Oct 16 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]460675[/snapback]
Where can you download this chapter? Is it translated too? I've searched for it but I only find StopTazmos site who "only" have chapters 1-63. I would really appreciate your help! smile.gif
@Sassa-san - Welcome to the board!!
If you want Raw, the link is on the other chapter 64 thread on this forum (see post #33).
If you want scanlation, ZOMGFT version is not up yet.
For Scars Right Arm's version, see the post #35 on this thread above. biggrin.gif
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Tombow @ Oct 16 2006, 12:52 PM) [snapback]460601[/snapback]

Hey, thanks! I've been reading them for QUITE a while, but never bothered to register and post until now. (Just got ALL caught up on my manga, and wanted to participate in some spoiler-party action. LOL!)

Yes, I agree with you. That, and her being an Armstrong family...

Hmmm... interesting. Never really thought about the family lineage thing, but yeah. Doesn't the Armstrong family have some sort of long military history or something? I am trying to remember that comic (where Havoc asks Major Amstrong's sister out on a date) because Father Armstrong babbles on and on about family history. Maybe something important was said there. And also, doesn't Major Armstrong refer to his "other sisters" not being home which means that Katherine and Maj. Gen. Armstrong aren't his *only* siblings? O.o

So, perhaps the Armstrong family's presence as a whole is going to become MUCH more important in this new storyline. (I often wondered if there was significance this running joke about the history of their lineage and whatnot.)

And hooray for other female officers! I mean, Hawkeye rocks hardcore, but the military definitley needs more bad-ass chicks. Not to mentions, I was quite distraught by Lt. Ross's departure to the east... HOWEVER I think we will be seeing her again soon as well. She DID mention to Maj. Armstrong that he should contact her if she is needed...

And, now for something TOTALLY off topic, did anyone notice back in in chapter 35 that Ross and Ling have the same bracelets? Ling mentions something about "a stray dog must be kept on a leash" in reference to these bracelets and his status as a foreigner in Amestris, which leads me to question Ross's family history. Is SHE an immigrant from an outside country? How did she get involved in the military if this is so? blink.gif

I really need to stop theorizing and get back to work. XD
Sensenic
QUOTE(LadyHawke78 @ Oct 16 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]460684[/snapback]

Hey, thanks! I've been reading them for QUITE a while, but never bothered to register and post until now. (Just got ALL caught up on my manga, and wanted to participate in some spoiler-party action. LOL!)

Welcome from here too! Enjoy! happy.gif

Yes, I agree with you. That, and her being an Armstrong family...

Hmmm... interesting. Never really thought about the family lineage thing, but yeah. Doesn't the Armstrong family have some sort of long military history or something? I am trying to remember that comic (where Havoc asks Major Amstrong's sister out on a date) because Father Armstrong babbles on and on about family history. Maybe something important was said there. And also, doesn't Major Armstrong refer to his "other sisters" not being home which means that Katherine and Maj. Gen. Armstrong aren't his *only* siblings? O.o

I remember sth from the Perfect Guide Book about him having 3 sisters... I can't remember, tho', whether they're 3 in total or 3 older sisters and Katherine... so there's at least one more to go.

And, now for something TOTALLY off topic, did anyone notice back in in chapter 35 that Ross and Ling have the same bracelets? Ling mentions something about "a stray dog must be kept on a leash" in reference to these bracelets and his status as a foreigner in Amestris, which leads me to question Ross's family history. Is SHE an immigrant from an outside country? How did she get involved in the military if this is so? blink.gif

Those are from the detention center. Since both of them were arrested they were given those bracelets with their name on one and some kind of serial number on the other.
Sassa-san
QUOTE(Tombow @ Oct 16 2006, 12:27 PM) [snapback]460678[/snapback]

QUOTE(Sassa-san @ Oct 16 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]460675[/snapback]
@Sassa-san - Welcome to the board!!
If you want Raw, the link is on the other chapter 64 thread on this forum (see post #33).
If you want scanlation, ZOMGFT version is not up yet.
For Scars Right Arm's version, see the post #35 on this thread above. biggrin.gif

Thank you very much! biggrin.gif Just one thing, could you put up a link to ZOMGFT site? smile.gif
Tombow
QUOTE(Sassa-san @ Oct 17 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]461061[/snapback]
Thank you very much! biggrin.gif Just one thing, could you put up a link to ZOMGFT site? smile.gif
ZOMGFT has been supporsedly undergoing change...I got this. unsure.gif
Tombow
Ummm.. could someone tell me if the sanlation is out at ZOMGFT...
I checked ZOMGFT site, and it looks diffefent, and I'm getting confused... unsure.gif
riza hawkeye 9
hi tombow , i just checked ZOMFGTA and to me it's still look the same page , with the dancing dog and the message from umeko saying that chap 64 isn't avaible yet ...did you see anything different ?...
they didn't post any news since oct 12th O.o
Tombow
QUOTE(riza hawkeye 9 @ Oct 17 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]461381[/snapback]

hi tombow , i just checked ZOMFGTA and to me it's still look the same page , with the dancing dog and the message from umeko saying that chap 64 isn't avaible yet ...did you see anything different ?...
they didn't post any news since oct 12th O.o
Yeah, that dancing dog... are we ever going to get the old ZOMGFT page back?? unsure.gif
Chiyo
Doggie is from Arthur...and thats all I see still too. Maybe they are trying to sort out the site?
Antimony
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Oct 18 2006, 05:18 PM) [snapback]461883[/snapback]

Doggie is from Arthur...and thats all I see still too. Maybe they are trying to sort out the site?

The old site is now up! However the translation isn't done yet. sad.gif
Full Metal Elf
Hmm...It's been a while, I must reply. God, I can't wait for scanlations! This chapter is sooo interesting! O_O...

I mean...KIMBLEY vs SCAR..already!? o_O....wow, this is so exciting, I hope it doesn't just, like get cut-off or something. I want to see the fight.

Haha...Selim is so cute...though problem, because from the translations I read, apparently Al tells Selim what him and Ed are researching in the library...oops...let's hope Selim doesn't tell daddy wink.gif.

And Yes, Winry and Garfiel...though Winry seemed worried, almost makes me wonder if Winry will go after Ed or something (shrug).

And yes, Armstrong's sis...scary lady, though she looks awesome. I cant' wait to see what she's like more.

And no Pride again...gotta be coming soon. Though I hope we run into Hoho again and see what he's up too there wink.gif smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.