Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Most Difficult Thing(s) To Tell To Your Parents?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3
slayeralchemist
I saw this question somewhere, and I just wanted to know you guys' answers. Sorry if this has been posted before.
The most difficult thing for me to tell to my parents is "I love You," I swear I've tried so hard but I can't, do not get me wrong I love them, but I just can't say it, I always practice in front of a mirror but so far is not working sad.gif
Also I think it'd be really difficult to tell them that I'm a pregnant teen. (Hopefully, I'll never have to do that)
Zarpia
We share the same. I cannot tell my parents brothers/sister how much I love them. My Mother tells me that she loves me almost every day, that makes it even more difficult for me, all I can reply is "me too"...I love, but the words just can't come out. Another is I guess I will never be able to tell or ask him for advice on anything, I really don't tell them my personal life, although my sister does tell my mother about it O.o.
ἀρχή
"I majored in Philosophy"...I'm still traumatized by their reaction dry.gif laugh.gif
Vash_the_Gunslinger
I think if your a girl, it's obvious that telling them your pregnant is easily the hardest unless your an accomplished adult. If your a guy, I think it might be that your going to be a dad unless your also an accomplished adult or "I love you".
Chiyo
Well its a mix really, I can tell my mother everything and then my dad nothing. Haven't had the pregnancy issue no, but conversations around that sort of subject are never uncomfortable with mother. Daddy isn't an easy person to speak to, so anything is hard, but if it ever came up the worst would probably be if I decided to drop out of Uni. Thankfully, not planning to.
000_neji
Most of all,I'm afraid to tell them that i got a failing grade in a certain subject...they might punish me...
DantElric
I can't even say a simple "happy birthday" face to face. blink.gif What more if it's "I love you"?
As for getting pregnant, that won't ever happen, I hope.
Come to think of it, what if I told them they'd never have grandkids from me? blink.gif
000_neji
There's nothing bad if we told them I love you,i'm just confused why are others afraid to tell it?

(sorry for being offtopic..)
Lysander
The hardest thing to say to my parents is to ask for my allowance. I always stutter. When I do, and I have the tendency to pause from nervousness every now and then.
DantElric
QUOTE(000_neji @ Sep 22 2006, 02:53 AM) [snapback]449496[/snapback]

There's nothing bad if we told them I love you,i'm just confused why are others afraid to tell it?

(sorry for being offtopic..)

It's hard when you're not used to being all mushy-gushy with them, like in my case. I suppose they take it for granted that we all know that we all love one another, so.... blink.gif

Ah here: I can't ask my parents for anything I want to buy. Too shy! ph34r.gif Ok, call me weird.
slayeralchemist

Ah here: I can't ask my parents for anything I want to buy. Too shy! ph34r.gif Ok, call me weird.

Oh wow! Now that is weird, asking for money to my parents is the easiest thing for me to tell them.
I believe that another thing to tell my parents would be that "I'm sorry" for whatever mistake it is that I did, to be honest I do not think I've ever told them that.

Miss Sweet
For the question, it depends on what you mean. If you mean my real parents, it would probably be the 'I love you', 'cause I don't think I could really mean it. If you mean my granny (I live with her), It would be that I'm an Atheist.
mei_tenshi
I guess with my dad it'd be "I love you." It's not that I don't, or that it's particularly hard in any emotional way, it's just that you don't really say "I love you" to your parents in Chinese. (Unless I'm saying it to my mom to practice my Mandarin...and she's pretty Western in regards to her outlook, anyhow.) And with my dad, I try to speak in Chinese as much as possible. (There was a phase in my childhood where he'd gripe about us kids speaking in English all the time--since then, we've switched into the habit of speaking in Cantonese at home.)

I have no problem saying "I love you" to my mom, especially since she says it back to us in English. (She's currently in her phase of dropping English phrases here and there in our conversations...usually to be funny. Her favorite so far: "What the hellllll?!?" XD )

I have a hard time asking for money from either of my parents. I know the financial situation has always been tight at home, so I don't want to be a burden. I can't even think of asking them for money now when my financial aid transfers living expenses into my account, which is definitely a plus.

If I'm thinking in the long run, I guess another hard thing to tell them would be that I want to have a small wedding. Most Chinese parents are really into that, showing off their kids when they marry--my parents are no exception, I'd imagine. (Besides, my dad seems to be really good at standing up and taking charge at banquets, and he seems to enjoy it even if it's a lot of work.) It's too early to tell (since I have not plans on getting married anytime soon), but I think they'd be devastated if I were to tell them that I want to deprive them of that joy. Actually, my siblings made a mock-pact among us that we'd having small weddings, but I'm not so sure anymore...
Carnal Malefactor
Kinda hard to break to them that you just killed a man...

...and they're next...
DarkHaze
Never talk about death with them.
Quistis88
QUOTE(arche @ Sep 21 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]449390[/snapback]
"I majored in Philosophy"...I'm still traumatized by their reaction dry.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif What was the reaction? Traumatize the rest of us, too.

QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Sep 22 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]449826[/snapback]
I guess with my dad it'd be "I love you." It's not that I don't, or that it's particularly hard in any emotional way, it's just that you don't really say "I love you" to your parents in Chinese.

Yeah, I know how hard/awkward it is to do it in Chinese. That's why I do it in Chinglish ("Aye luff-fu yoo!"). Sometimes, I can't believe I'm capable of speaking Chinglish.

I have no problem saying "I love you" to my mom, especially since she says it back to us in English. (She's currently in her phase of dropping English phrases here and there in our conversations...usually to be funny. Her favorite so far: "What the hellllll?!?" XD )

I want to meet your mother, then do something crazy to provoke her to say that. laugh.gif Your mother sounds cute, mei-mei. smile.gif

I have a hard time asking for money from either of my parents. I know the financial situation has always been tight at home, so I don't want to be a burden. I can't even think of asking them for money now when my financial aid transfers living expenses into my account, which is definitely a plus.

I have a hard time telling my parents I don't want money. They're always giving me excess funds that I do not need. I have a job, I know how to provide for myself. Sure, they pay for my tuition and such, but other than that, I don't really need any financial assistance. The hard part isn't saying it, but getting them to understand. I'd much rather they keep the money for themselves. Save up for retirement and whatnot.

If I'm thinking in the long run, I guess another hard thing to tell them would be that I want to have a small wedding. Most Chinese parents are really into that, showing off their kids when they marry--my parents are no exception, I'd imagine.

You never know until you get there, and I understand where you're coming from. The tendency to "show off" really is too great of a burden for the children getting married sometimes. I suppose for me, I'm not looking for a spectacular wedding, and I never have, but I just want to make sure it's just big enough to minimally satisfy the parents. However, I hope they don't take that to mean that I never want to do more for them. It's just that having such a big wedding would be rather excessive, and I'd rather have more funds for a house later on than to have a huge wedding.

QUOTE(Void @ Sep 22 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]449833[/snapback]
Kinda hard to break to them that you just killed a man...

...and they're next...

That didn't happen to you, did it? mellow.gif

In addition to all that, I find it difficult to tell my parents that I prefer Caucasian men over Asian men. dry.gif Not that I don't like Asian men, necessarily, just that if I have a choice, I would opt for the former. However, once again, it's not the telling-them part that's difficult, but the part where they actually understand what's coming out of my mouth.
InsaneFangirl
Anything. ^^;; I try not to talk to my parents much.

Asking for favors, saying "I love you", telling them I'm trying my best but it's not enough, telling them they're hurting me (which I never have), and that I was worried about something, especially them.

(My need for "family" is more relied on my best friends, even if alot of times I'm not allowed to see them. Not the best home life. -sigh-)
Molecular Alchemist
It's hard to tell my parents that i'm not interested in relationships right now. They think i'm screwed up because i dont have a boyfriend, while my sis has guys throwing themselves at her feet. I tell them that I'm focused on my career right now, but their answer is either 1)i'm gonna die an old maid or 2) stop your schooling because your career isnt anything...and i want grandkids *shudder*. I really hated telling them that.

I cant wait to see their reaction when i tell them that i have no intention of marrying an Italian either....all of the Italian guys ive met are stupid and use girls as accessories....but thats what my dad wants for me dry.gif Yeah..can't wait
Indignant Judgment
The most difficult thing I had to tell my parents is that a while back when I was 13, I had thought that I was gay, but had realized by the age of 15 that they werent as attractive as I had once thought... blea wacko.gif
Densetsu_kid
QUOTE(ArmouredSoul @ Feb 25 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]509542[/snapback]
The most difficult thing I had to tell my parents is that a while back when I was 13, I had thought that I was gay, but had realized by the age of 15 that they werent as attractive as I had once thought... blea wacko.gif

Woah! Now that is difficult especially when your parents are like the religious type.

For me it'd be to tell them that I want to move out the house as soon as possible, wonder how they will react when I actually tell them unsure.gif
silentsky
it hard for me to tell my parents about a lot of things...
like dating or people problems...

i dont want to worry them... thats all...

Carnal Malefactor
You shouldn't be dating at your age, anyway.
silentsky
yeah i know but boys ask me out...
i agree with you!!!

i think we should start dating once our heads dont look disproportional to our bodies...
[hahaha just kidding but sort of seriously!!!]
Zarpia
"Mom, Dad...I'm a Gay guy trapped in a lesbians body!"
Densetsu_kid
QUOTE(Zarpia @ Feb 26 2007, 12:43 AM) [snapback]509714[/snapback]

Woah are you serious about that?! Because I really admire gays and lesbians who come out of the closet, they have a lot of courage smile.gif
Slashrose1010
"I'm dating Jess..."

"I HATE the Catholic faith, and religion in general"
Chiyo
Finally managed to tell papa I have a second tattoo. Technically I had it when he got a tad cross with me about the first one...but I thought it best to wait a year or two before telling him. This time round, he ackowledged I was old enough for it to have been up to me all along.
animejunkie429800
Just everything in general. mellow.gif The fact is that they're Asian... (you know how they are dry.gif) Hmm, when I really need to communicate, I talk to my mom. Technically not talking, per se, but more of a note-writing thing.
Densetsu_kid
I actually want a tatto but I've no idea how to tell them sad.gif
Amalthea
Your orientation if you are bisexual/homosexual.

I'm not, but I know people who are and can't bring themselves to talk about it with their parents. Not that I can blame them.

Also, if you parent's have had a close relative/friend die a looong time ago who you may have had some sort of connection with, but don't remember. My dad's brother died before I was born, but he never ever brings him up, yet I'm curious about it. I'm afraid to bring it up with him. sad.gif
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Amalthea @ Feb 26 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]510049[/snapback]
Your orientation if you are bisexual/homosexual.

I have to agree with you there.
A lot of my gay/lesbian friends found that "Coming Out" to the parents was the most difficult thing they ever had to do...

For me, the most difficult thing to discuss with my parents is anything regarding Religion.
I am an adult, I haven't lived with my parents in a long time, but I still cannot discuss religion with my mother. It's strange because we have such a different opinion on religion. She is incredibly religious, and I'm Agnostic. Yeah. blink.gif
Nekokitty
I really have nothing to hide from my parents right now. .-.
My mom's a little disappointed that I'm agnostic and asexual.
slayeralchemist
To tell my mom that I have been ditching school. I had to though, she was to hear it from either me or my teacher at the Parent conference.
Kenji
So far the most difficult thing to tell/ask my parents

-Who is on the line just now?
-I want to hang around with my friend whole night... and I am not returning home to bed..
Carnal Malefactor
For me, the most difficult thing to discuss with my parents is anything regarding Religion.
I am an adult, I haven't lived with my parents in a long time, but I still cannot discuss religion with my mother. It's strange because we have such a different opinion on religion. She is incredibly religious, and I'm Agnostic. Yeah.

Don't you wish there was an Everybody Poops type of book that you could read to your parents when you wanted to explain to them that you're not sure that you believe in god?
ed_drink_your_milk
^YES! Although, I sort of ended up telling telling my parents about that in a...blunt way, to say the least. I had to apologize big time later on, but at least they know. That was one of the hardest things for me, but now that they know, I guess the hardest thing would be to explain how I really feel about the family, but I doubt I'll never tell them out of respect for my elders. *shrug*
ゆきえいり
For me, it would be difficult to say "i love you" and mean it and "I'm lesbian...." And they want me to open up, but I don't. They just aren't understanding.
Zarpia
QUOTE(Densetsu_kid @ Feb 26 2007, 01:01 AM) [snapback]509738[/snapback]
QUOTE(Zarpia @ Feb 26 2007, 12:43 AM) [snapback]509714[/snapback]

Woah are you serious about that?! Because I really admire gays and lesbians who come out of the closet, they have a lot of courage smile.gif
The problem is when to tell them..I can't find the right time for it..no matter how hard I try >>
ゆきえいり
Trust me, you aren't the only one. Personally, I'd come out because I don't care what people think. I can't because my parents would ship me off to a christian school if ever they knew. No joke.
quiddityofquid
Failing classes (or just doing badly). The aforementioned prefrences problem. That they're wrong. And that no, I don't actually want to go shoot things with them (that's one of the few things my dad asks me to do with him; he's on a pistol team and it always seems like it breaks his heart that I don't go even though it's just because I have no time).
Envy II
Being an atheist.

I just can't tell them... They already think so poorly of me.
Carnal Malefactor
Why would they think poorly of you?
Densetsu_kid
QUOTE(Saxophonist @ Feb 28 2007, 05:45 PM) [snapback]510801[/snapback]
Being an atheist.

I just can't tell them... They already think so poorly of me.

Girl/dude Cheer up! You are way too young and have your whole life ahead of you! I mean you seriously sound so depressed. You know if you have any problems and feel like talking to someone, I've heard that it always works to talk to total strangers (and friends of course) My point? Feel free to talk to me if you want any advice or something. I swear I'll try my best to cheer you up biggrin.gif

Zarpia: Well I recommend you to keep on trying! I mean they have to find out eventually. Now don't get me wrong if I was in your position I'd be scared to death. I just recommend you to get such burden out of your life as soon as possible. And be prepared to face whatever happens next. I seriously hope everything turn out alright for you smile.gif

My problems right now are how to tell my parents that I am having some serious doubts about religion. As I was reading all the posts I realized I'm not the only one smile.gif
Envy II
What does age have to do with anything? Oh yay... I'm 18... but truth be told I have no potential. It's somewhat my fault... but enough of the "You're so young." It means absolutely nothing in my case, I'm already a failure. Nothing's going to change that.

So lets move on... shall we?

Why would they think poorly of me? Hm... well I don't know. I have low grades. That's one thing.

but to tell them that I'm an atheist... That'd seal the nail on the coffin. In fact that pretty much goes to anyone where I live... I live in the Bible Belt, Oklahoma.
Carnal Malefactor
...Your parents seem like major dicks from where I'm sitting.
Razzy
Telling my parents that I'm dating the boy they hate most.
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
I don't really have anything that would be difficult - all the things I can think of are pretty much equal in difficulty and "shout output" - but they're all petty to what a friend of mine is going through...

He's gay, but doesn't want to tell his parents, b/c he believes that they will literaly throw him out of the house the day he turns 18. None of us quite believed him, until a few days ago when his parents found in his room a Teen romance where one of the main characters is gay (nothing dirty - just general teen romance novels), and went through the roof. He's still grounded - they found the book about two or three weeks ago...

I feel so bad for him - if that's their reaction for him just *reading* a book about a gay guy, what'll happen to them if he ever decides to tell them? unsure.gif Nothing good, I'm sure... Right now he's saving up money, b/c he plans on having to be totally self-sufficient the day he moves out of the house to go to college...

I'd have to chalk that up to being one of the most difficult things to ever have to tell your parents... especially if it means that they'd disown you...
Razzy
TNFMA- I hope everything goes well with your friend... That must be really tough for him. sad.gif
InsaneFangirl
^ Same here...I don't have much of a sense of sympathy/empathy because of my medication screw up...but I could feel my heart sink a little when I read this. My mom thought I was bi (thought) and wanted to send me away to therapy. WTH?

To be afraid to be rejected by people important in your life is the hardest thing people come to face. Praying for him, okay?
Stealth
I can talk to my dad about anything, other then if i did bad at school. i can face him when it comes to my grads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.