Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Death Penalty For Criminals
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
000_neji
We all knew that death penalty has been widely ratified in other countries such as singapore and other Muslim countries but what I want to know is your opinion 'bout it. It is mostly debated in our country if they will approve it or not...As for me,I agree with it...
Roy Jr.
Wahahaha...>:)

I agree with it. All criminals should DIE!!!

Actually... no. smile.gif
Life is important, no matter who or what they are.
Death is not really a punishment anyways... (You die. You feel nothing.)
They should just rot away the rest of their useless lives behind cold bars... ph34r.gif
000_neji
Well,the criminals wouldn't learn if the punishment's way too light.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(000_neji @ Sep 19 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]448302[/snapback]

Well,the criminals wouldn't learn if the punishment's way too light.

But isn't killing people abit over the top? I mean it's not like we'd just fine a murderer $50 instead of execution.

Crimes I think shopuld be Captitol offences;
Pre meditated murder,
Pre meditated Rape,
Any Olsen twin film.

Ofcourse I'd rather stick 'em solitary confinement for the rest of their lives but thats expensive and problematic.
hitokiri
the death penalty is lame, costly, and horribly inefficient as a deterrent.

answer?

if someone is horrible enough to be put to death, they aren't human. they should be stripped of their rights and the title of human and demoted to flesh sack with organs who does manual labor for scraps of food...

slave labor is the way to go.
MeLRizA
All depends on the jurisdition the court has over the defendant. If the crime committed is severe, slavery should be the way to go. If it involves peoples' lives, death penalty may be an option. However, some murderers are insane (read me) and in my opinion, they deserve death penalty. smile.gif

You can't let a mad man who kills and rapes on the loose, can you?! sad.gif
Sharingan Serpent
Um but what if there was an innocent who didn't commit the crime? And was set up?

We must also know that there are many people who are also being framed or blammed for a crime they did not commit and then there are the acidents...

And what are we acheiving by simply killing the person who has done the crime? Wouldn't it just set off a chain reaction of some sort?

Would it be bad if I said that I do not think that criminal punishment in death sentences is not the way to do it... and that it seems a bit too far... unsure.gif

Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Sep 19 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]448343[/snapback]

the death penalty is lame, costly, and horribly inefficient as a deterrent.

answer?

if someone is horrible enough to be put to death, they aren't human. they should be stripped of their rights and the title of human and demoted to flesh sack with organs who does manual labor for scraps of food...

slave labor is the way to go.

Organ bank.
hitokiri
QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ Sep 19 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]448365[/snapback]

Um but what if there was an innocent who didn't commit the crime? And was set up?

We must also know that there are many people who are also being framed or blammed for a crime they did not commit and then there are the acidents...

all good reasons to implement mandatory, focused, penal caloric expenditure to achieve communal improvement; that's slave labor for you dumb people....

you know that, in general, it takes anywhere from 1 to 10 years from the date of initial sentencing for a person to actually get offed right? so while you appeal you can get all toned and buff with our new anaerobic mining workout... burn over 9000 calories in a day!!!

also, accidental murder is considered manslaughter 90% of the time, and i don't think there is a state in the US that does death penalty for manslaughter

And what are we acheiving by simply killing the person who has done the crime? Wouldn't it just set off a chain reaction of some sort?

exactly how would this happen? its not like me coming into your house at night, killing your family in front of you and you vowing revenge.... you'd have to take down The Man. very few have ever actually done this, both historically and currently, throughout the world. i truly doubt that many people would go as far as a revolution or coup just cause someone they know got fried, hung, gassed, etc....
Carnal Malefactor
Don't mind her, she's a dullard.
MeLRizA
QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ Sep 19 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]448365[/snapback]

Would it be bad if I said that I do not think that criminal punishment in death sentences is not the way to do it... and that it seems a bit too far... unsure.gif
Hahas, the juries do consider such stuff. Its written in law that for such actions, the defendant is authorised to a certain defence against the plaintiff.

QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ Sep 19 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]448365[/snapback]
I highly doubt it, unless those in relation with the victim takes revenge.
DantElric
Just leave those criminals to get punished in Cloud 9 by the powers that be, or whatever... blink.gif

This is such a typical topic coming from you, 000_neji. laugh.gif Just kidding. Personally, I don't like the idea. No one, not even the meanest, cruelest, most brutal criminal deserves to be put to death. If you're referring about it in our country, well, we live in a Catholic country, right? Why are they even thinking about this, it's written in the 10 Commandments that ''thou shall not kill.'' Fine example this would be, dontcha think? dry.gif
Popogeejo
If you're referring about it in our country, well, we live in a Catholic country, right?

I asumme you are reffering to Amercia. It's not Catholic, it just has a high majority of them. Seperation of Church and state means America cannot be classed as Catholic or any other religion as far as I'm aware.
phoenix dying
QUOTE(dantelric @ Sep 20 2006, 05:58 AM) [snapback]448702[/snapback]

Personally, I don't like the idea. No one, not even the meanest, cruelest, most brutal criminal deserves to be put to death. If you're referring about it in our country, well, we live in a Catholic country, right? Why are they even thinking about this, it's written in the 10 Commandments that ''thou shall not kill.'' Fine example this would be, dontcha think? dry.gif

Um...Do you realize the massive amount of people the Catholic church has put to death since its existance?!? Thats half the reason why there still 'alive and kicking'. Back in the day if you wern't Catholic, you would get that wonderful heathen death of being burning at the stake! Look at thoes dammed Crusaeds...

-------
Isn't the whole idea of death for captical crimes kind of going back to/refering to/using the Hammurabi Code, in a sence. You know, eye for an eye kind of thing. lex talionis for you biblical people...

But then again let me contradict myself here and quote Hammurabi directly about something different:

"If any one bring an accusation of any crime before the elders, and does not prove what he has charged, he shall, if it be a capital offense charged, be put to death."

crazy fun stuff...
slayeralchemist
No human has the right to take the life of other human, no matter the circumstances.
So yeah I do not Agree with that.
hitokiri
QUOTE(slayeralchemist @ Sep 21 2006, 01:53 AM) [snapback]448979[/snapback]

No human has the right to take the life of other human, no matter the circumstances.
So yeah I do not Agree with that.

no human has the right to wrong society and leech off it for the rest of their lives behind bars either... it would be like me owning a cereal company and one of my employees takes a crap in a box of puffs that causes me to get sued to for millions. do i then put him transfer him to an office where he can't wrong me anymore? no, i either fired him or force him to pay you back.... simple as that.

i love how simple things are for the "moral"... i wonder where they find those drugs they take... must be some good shit, to be able to forego the rational part of your brain.
slayeralchemist
no human has the right to wrong society and leech off it for the rest of their lives behind bars either... it would be like me owning a cereal company and one of my employees takes a crap in a box of puffs that causes me to get sued to for millions. do i then put him transfer him to an office where he can't wrong me anymore? no, i either fired him or force him to pay you back.... simple as that.

Well yeah, exactly but you do not kill him! And that is the issue here, y'now do you agree with death penalty or no. Your explanation made no sense what so ever.

i love how simple things are for the "moral"... i wonder where they find those drugs they take... must be some good shit, to be able to forego the rational part of your brain.

WTF! What is wrong with you! All I said was that criminals don't deserve to be killed, but I still believe that they must be punished, but not killed! Spending the rest of their lives behind bars is more than enough, having your freedom taken away is awful, but of course criminals do deserve that.
To think that humans have the right to kill someone else is pretty messed up, and because of people with such thoughts this world is so messed up!
Miss Sweet
QUOTE(slayeralchemist @ Sep 21 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]449266[/snapback]

Well yeah, exactly but you do not kill him! And that is the issue here, y'now do you agree with death penalty or no. Your explanation made no sense what so ever.

WTF! What is wrong with you! All I said was that criminals don't deserve to be killed, but I still believe that they must be punished, but not killed! Spending the rest of their lives behind bars is more than enough, having your freedom taken away is awful, but of course criminals do deserve that.
To think that humans have the right to kill someone else is pretty messed up, and because of people with such thoughts this world is so messed up!

Rock on. ^^
DantElric
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Sep 20 2006, 06:08 AM) [snapback]448730[/snapback]

If you're referring about it in our country, well, we live in a Catholic country, right?

I asumme you are reffering to Amercia. It's not Catholic, it just has a high majority of them. Seperation of Church and state means America cannot be classed as Catholic or any other religion as far as I'm aware.

Oh, no. I'm from the Philippines, and so is 000_neji. We're the only Catholic country around Asia, and like I said, a fine example that would be, legalizing death sentences. <---bad grammar? blink.gif

@ phoenix dying: Forgive me, but I didn't get a word you said. ph34r.gif
000_neji
I knew some would agree and some would not but I will only stick to my belief,death penalty is the answer to criminals..

No innocent will lie guilty as to the fact that the court assures 95% that the criminals aren't innocent before taking them to such grave punishment,thus,no innocent life will vanish. Giving them a second chance isn't the right thing. The criminals were conscious to what they have done so they must deserve what they should. Only crimes that are way behind human dignity are the crimes punishable by death...were talking about very grave sins here.
DantElric
Yeah, but if you kill your fellow human, that's a sin as well. You would think you're doing it for the right reasons but that instantly makes you a killer as well. There is just no right reason for taking lives of others.
000_neji
Its is a sin if you would think it is a sin...Okay,if that makes you a killer then so be it as long as it is for other's sake...Jails kept on overflowing
because of it and you can't let a criminal loose just because he promised he will not do it anymore,the criminal might do it again if we let them go again.
Popogeejo
I thought Catholism was about fogivness and turning the other cheek. Seems a bt hypocitical.

Its is a sin if you would think it is a sin...Okay,if that makes you a killer then so be it as long as it is for other's sake...

So what if someone murders someone else to protect others but does so in cold blood? Would that not be ok by your own standards?

Jails kept on overflowing because of it and you can't let a criminal loose just because he promised he will not do it anymore,the criminal might do it again if we let them go again.

Build bigger prisons. There must be some deserted Islands around the Philippines. Just stick a prison there...
000_neji
Forgiveness isn't the right thing for a criminal to deserve especially when he commited grave sins a couple of times...on the second thought,criminals should be on a rehabilitation center or other centers that will help them on becoming a good person again but if it gets nonsense,then death penalty will come their way...
DantElric
Forgiveness is exactly what they need. Who're you gonna forgive if not the sinners? Really, now. Death penalties are barbaric.
I stand by what I've said before.
000_neji
Forgiveness isn't the right thing for a criminal to deserve especially when he commited grave sins a couple of times...on the second thought,criminals should be on a rehabilitation center or other centers that will help them on becoming a good person again but if it gets nonsense,then death penalty will come their way...

I kindly repeat what've said before...
Sharingan Serpent
Maybe so 000_neji but some people like to think the opptimistic way, like there could actually be some hope for that person...

Although I'll agree with you with one thing, there are times when they lie too much keep promising that they'll change but if they keep breaking that promise then we should really give them death penalty...

Cause as they always say no crime can go un punished...
Popogeejo
What, so they should try and behave unless they do bad again in which cases they should be killed? Why not rehabilitaion and prision sentences?
Sharingan Serpent
Thats what I meant at first...

(Maybe I should stop before I hurt my brain laugh.gif ;;)
000_neji
I already stated that rehabilitations are other ways that criminals can get to be good again,thus,forgiving them but in such grave cases,death penalty should come and be implemented.
DantElric
Okay. The barbaric point of view. Give them pain and suffering. As much as they have caused. But don't kill them. If you do, that'll just help them escape the hellish life they've entered. You'll just relieve them of their 'problems', whereas if you keep them alive and keep punishing, they'll go through a tough life and who knows, they'll get sick of it and stop their crimes.

....forgive me, I'm not usually this mule-headed.
Chiyo
Although I believe criminals should suffer as much as they can, I do believe in a death penalty. Why the hell should my taxes pay for someone to have a roof over their evil little heads. Think one of the most recent cases that peeved me was when it was spalshed across the news Ian Huntley had tried to kill himself again. Oh lordy no, a sicko nearly died? He wants to die, and I don't want him getting around the clock care, so yes he should die.

The rate of criminals who commit crime days after being released from prison is horrifying, and some of them are not just petty theives.

Course, I would only pass death on those who take away anothers life.
Carnal Malefactor
I believe the punishment should fit the crime.

That's all I'll say.
kaizenyorii
i wouldnt mind if rapist and murderers who dont seem to regret their actions die
Carnal Malefactor
Why should a rapist die? A rapist should get raped.
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Void @ Sep 22 2006, 11:45 PM) [snapback]449855[/snapback]

Thats kind of ph34r.gif ...and who really would hand out that kind of punishment?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(phoenix dying @ Sep 22 2006, 11:46 PM) [snapback]449857[/snapback]

Thats kind of ph34r.gif ...and who really would hand out that kind of punishment?

Preferably someone with a really big dick.
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Void @ Sep 22 2006, 11:53 PM) [snapback]449863[/snapback]

QUOTE(phoenix dying @ Sep 22 2006, 11:46 PM) [snapback]449857[/snapback]

Preferably someone with a really big dick.

Quite so!

but still who would actually do that?!? If this system was used in reality. Who would pick that as a job...rape rapist
Carnal Malefactor
You ever seen Pulp Fiction?
MonsterEnvy
Sorry to use large capital letters, but- IT TAKES WAY MORE MONEY TO KILL SOMEONE THAN LOCK THEM UP FOR 200 YEARS

Just so we're clear on that. The legal fees alone and hassle in our justice system could feed a small town for a week. (That's a guess, but it sounds about right. It's a hell of a lot of money.

Additionally, it is possible that some murderers really aren't. It's not possible to unelectrify someone, but it is possible to let them out. For that tiny doubt alone, there's reason enough not to use the death penalty.

I loved this- I think 000_Neji said it (to paraphrase)

How will they learn their lesson unless you kill them?

Brilliant. Genius logic, there.
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Void @ Sep 22 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]449869[/snapback]

You ever seen Pulp Fiction?

Yes i have.

And i do get where you coming from. Its just wierd...
Brig.General Hughes
I agree with death peniltys when that certain person deffinetly deserves it, but I don't think they should use a $3,000 potassium ingection when they could use a butter knife for $2
000_neji
It doesn't matter what process they're going to be killed,they just seem to deserve what they have done wrong.
Chiyo
It really can be nice and cheap to kill someone, heck the murderer themself probably didn't spend all that much when they did it. If there is a shread of doubt then no they should no be killed...but too many get away with what they have done.
(^-^)sammyxeddy
IT depends if he/she does somthing really BAD death penalty if the criminal just stole something or not that bad stays in prison for like.. a yr. or month
Molecular Alchemist
IMO...if a person can kill someone, and they have been proven guilty...so there is absolutly NO WAY that they could be innocent...then i dont see the point in having to be humane to them. If they dont respect the lives of others, then we shouldnt respect theirs. Therefore, I think that the death penalty is a good option, and quite frankly, i think that its used less than it should be. The amount of money that taxpayers spend to keep ppl in prision of life is astronomical.

Although...I want to know why we cant use human who are on death row as human test subjects for scientific research. I mean, seriously, they're gonna die anyway...what good is it just to kill them, when you can use them for some GOOD! If I had my way, i would have the human rights laws for specific inmates waved and use them for cancer research or aids research, or something like that. Then they could die having contributed something to society, not just destroying it.

And it might deter ppl, if they learned that by getting life in prison, or the death penalty that they will become human labmice...
Migchao
I most certainly agree if the person had done something really bad, such as killing numerous people, then yes. It's kind of like I agree with it, but I don't agree with it.

Also, Molecular Alchemist has a good point too. It should be used more often.
MonsterEnvy
Wow, I find this shocking and horrendous. Personally, I think it would be worse to be locked up in a small cell for the rest of your life than simply killed. Also, even though it's possible that criminals can't be proven innocent now, and seem guilty, in the future there might be the ability to prove those cases more definitively. For example, there are a substantial number of murder cases, and especially murder-rapes, that have been reopened based on DNA evidence and innocent men have been set free. Some innocent men, however, have already been put to death.

I'll repeat myself in saying that the cost of putting someone up in a cinderblok with minimum amounts of food for sixty years or so is nothing compared to putting them up in a cinder block for ten years while also paying enormous sums of money for lawyers and courts. This includes not only the government's lawyers, but, in the vast majority of cases, the defendant's lawyer as well.

Molly, I'm sickened by using prisoners as test subjects. If they want to, then it's fine. Otherwise, forcing a prisoner to try a new type of antiperspirant may not be cruel punishment, but it's definitely unusual. It would never fly with the basic rights we guarantee people.

As for the deterence factor- In a premeditated murder, the murderer knows full well what he's doing before he commits the crime. In a spur of the moment murder, the murderer has no time to care about that and it probably never crosses his mind. There's absolutely no evidence that the death penalty deters crime in the slightest.
Chiyo
The only touble with sticking them behind bars all their life is the amount of prisons too packed out...hence building more and no-one wants a prison on their doorstep
000_neji
Prisons aren't enough for them to suffer...anyways,I respect all of your opinion about Death penalty...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.