Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Older Anime
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Chiyo
(I don't think a thread like this lives? huh.gif )

This is a thread based around older anime, and I'm talking about ten years ago plus, or before Pokemania took over the world at least. It came to mind when I found my name in an anime, which is in fact older than me.

So what do you think of older anime? As it is a growing industry the animation has changed to a degree and the storylines in new anime can be related to easier (or can it?). But does that mean that older anime has no charm anymore? Would a new generation have no interest in the classic anime like they might a classic Disney film? I believe some older anime are dated, but some still have a large amount of impact, like Akira.

Oh and if anyone has seen the new Astro-Boy animations do you think it was worth remaking? I personally think its too confused between an old style and modern storylines, the audience being too young to know it is a remake.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
I think older anime is great. I like Neon Genesis Evangelion & Cowboy Bebop and others. I also believe the animation has become very detailed. If you look at Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo ,which were made by the same people, you can see that the animation for Samurai Champloo has far better animation in it if you ask me. I also think that older anime still has its charm, but some newer people wouldn't care for it unless it was recommended by a friend or somebody. I also think that older anime has more of an impact than newer anime.
ScarMySoul
In lieu to the Astroboy comment, I don't think it should have been remade, its just not the same. My mom is like obsessed with the original Astroboy lol, she has the shows and the comic books.

Anime like Lupid III and Gigantor and such, I'm not too fond of those myself, although I'll watch them if nothing else is on.

I also believe the animation has become very detailed. If you look at Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo ,which were made by the same people, you can see that the animation for Samurai Champloo has far better animation in it if you ask me.

I agree completely with that. I think detail in a lot of newer anime is amazing.
Fina
I haven't watched much original anime because it gets to be so corny its hard to stay interested in it. Ever watched Speedracers? Its, like... so cheesy it was hard to stay interested for more than a couple episodes. However, thats only my oppinion. Others probably think differently.
Chiyo
QUOTE(ScarMySoul @ Sep 17 2006, 04:03 PM) [snapback]447475[/snapback]

In lieu to the Astroboy comment, I don't think it should have been remade, its just not the same. My mom is like obsessed with the original Astroboy lol, she has the shows and the comic books.

It is just too old really isn't it? In the realms of a classic and they should not be fiddled with.

So alright, some people do like older anime, do you think when todays anime is old it will be loved by a new generation or will anime have moved on again?
Tombow
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Sep 18 2006, 08:30 AM) [snapback]447916[/snapback]
So alright, some people do like older anime, do you think when todays anime is old it will be loved by a new generation or will anime have moved on again?
I think some will remain (and will be loved) as a classic.
Good anime is not just graphics. Some are known to have intriguing story, humor, or something to make us attach emotionally to that particular anime, and so on.
..For example, I'm thinking these might survive the generation..each with different reasons:
FLCL, Paranoia Agent, and Samural Champloo. (Tho, I could be totally wrong!! laugh.gif )
Chiyo
Oh yes, but there is anime thats more of a 'craze' then a classic. I do think FMA will last as its not an anime that can simply wash over you, like perhaps Fruist Basket (anime not manga)
Mini Alchemist
Old anime...hmm...One that I still like a lot (one of my favourites) is :
Remi!!! (I think it's called Nobody's Boy or something like that..)
IPB Image
Here's the pic
Quistis88
I think older anime really will become classics. They were (or at least seemed) so good back then.

I really want to watch Pygmalio from beginning to end again, but unfortunately, I cannot find it anywhere. sad.gif

There seem to be more and more fansubbers taking up older anime titles, too. I just watched an episode of Creamy Mami the other day. Oh, the nostalgia . . .
Slashrose1010
I have not actually seen this anime, but maybe I should get around to it, but people on another forum really like one called Rose of Versaille? Has anyone here seen it?
Tombow
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Sep 23 2006, 10:09 PM) [snapback]450359[/snapback]
I have not actually seen this anime, but maybe I should get around to it, but people on another forum really like one called Rose of Versaille? Has anyone here seen it?
Oh yes, "Berubara"!! (It's a short for "Berusaiyu no bara" = "Rose of Versaille")
Yeah, I think it's another example of classic anime.
In this case, it has a good story-line, nicely intertwined with the historical facts (French revolution, and stuff like that,) although the animation is kinda "dated." tongue.gif
I'd only seen bits of this anime, but the story was turned into a play, and it's one of the longest running play at Takarazuka in Japan, I think.
I can recommend it to someone who likes shoujo manga/anime to check it out as a classic. smile.gif

BTW, @ Chiyo - I agree that FMA will be a classic as well. biggrin.gif
joanne45
In my old school anime years (in the 80's) I watched first it was Voltes V and then Mazinger Z, Danguard Ace and Daimos. And then it was Candy Candy, Remi: Nobody's Child, Ron-Ron the Flower Angel, Honeybee the Balloongirl, Alakazam The Great, Paul in Fantasyland, Getta Robot and then it was Star Blazers (Yamato) - my favorite. That's is what I remembered....*sniff*....brings back memories smile.gif
Dioma
I'm not really hyper about old anime series. Of course you can find some animations that look great (a lot of Ghibli movies) but Weiss Kreuz for example is NOT so great even if the storyline is pretty good (the animation is just ugly).
Le Monkey
Some of the anime from the past has been so gory that it puts people off ot the whole era, instead of just the anime.
One of my favorite "Old animes" would be thundercats, that was fun as a child to watch, ^^
000_neji
I don't really like old animes...
Kakashi
Mobile Suit Gundam/Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Really old, really good.
asunder
one of my favorite anime movies is considered an oldie:
Macross: Do You Remember Love

a great older series is Maison Ikkoku (1986-88).

Take a gander if you got the time.

also it's sad when people consider NGE and Bebop as old anime. The defining period for old or "old school anime" should be anything before the 90's.
Synth Alchemist
I see an anime too old...... Marco
Meitantei Conan
I think the best old anime is DBZ or Case closed those are some of my favorite anime!
Amol
I'd say NINKU , is worth trying out.
Its was really nice to see that animax are airing it.

Its has a nice story line too.
Surly worth a watch !
Chiisana
Marmalade Boy

Pretty old, but worth to watch!
Amol
I've seen that ^. Its pretty decent !
Soujirou
Robotech or Candy Candy are old animes that i watched when i was living my childhood
Synth Alchemist
Astroboy Rocks! laugh.gif
Nightfrost
Trust me, I don't have very conventional taste in old anime. My absolute favorite is one I highly doubt anyone here has ever heard of. It's this really neat dog anime from 1986 called Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, and it's about an akita puppy living with a pack of wild dogs. The story, though simple, is quite nice, and the animation and music isn't half bad either. Check out the opening sequence:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_mrdCI6Rw

That One Dude
I guess that anime can be pretty good, even if it is old, if it's good, it's good! However, most of us are too distracted by the look and the animation to actually notice the deepness and the originality of most anime, and I think that we don't give it a shot as often as we should. I mean, it's all about the graphics these days... *sigh*
Toby-Chan
Haha~ The oldest anime I dig is Utena, which only has a vintage of ten years. laugh.gif I don't dig the oldies too much.
MasterKris
Now, I still can't help but think that no matter how an anime is good, its graphics and animation are superb and high-quality and the plot is amazing, it can never measure up to old classic animes. I still regard some of my old animes as one of the best ones I ever watched. I guess it's the influence from when you were a child because tv shows were like treasure to kids. When I was little, I thought the graphics were beautiful and cool when I was young, but now that I watch it, the animation is so old! But the feeling I got from watching that show still leaves a hint of freshness behind I just can't endure. Old animes tended to aim at younger boys with mecha, sports, competition, and adventure and I love that. I love the goal to tell the message to kids about achieving dreams and trying their best. It gets you away to your children and realizing how it was back then. Animes now are aimed more at teens than kids now so it's all about fighting, killing, enemies being rotten evil to their core, etc. These cheesy old animes I think leaves us with something that modern animes can't.

One of my most favorite old anime was called Bakusou Kyoudai Let's & Go. I still watch it and enjoy it even till now. I sometimes regard it as one of the best animes I ever saw.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.