Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did Gluttony Recognize Wrath In The Movie?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > FMA Conqueror of Shambala Movie
His Name is Unknown
<Edited the thread title from "Just Though Of Something [about Gluttony]" to "Did Gluttony recognize Wrath in the movie?" to clearly describe the topic of the thread. 02/21/07 ~Tombow>

When I first watched the movie, I couldn't figure out why Gluttony only went after Wrath and left Al alone in the Underground City battle.

But viewing it a second time, it looked as though Gluttony recognized Wrath when he saw him. He would hate Wrath because he killed Lust. I know he's just supposed to be a mindless eating machine now, but it would be awesome if there was indeed a deeper level to their fight.
Odysseus
An intriguing theory, I too pondered that, didn't come to that conclusion though. Well, there's no official explantion as of now that I know of, but good theory! happy.gif I suppose he wouldn't recognize Al either since last Gluttony saw of him he was still a suit of armor.
hisokaomi
I thought so too, since Al only regained his own body at the end of the battle when Glutton was nowhere to be found. But Wrath still looked the same...
Untitled
Hmm.. Yeah! Good point! The only thing that changed with Wrath was his arm and leg but everything else was noticable.. I was thinking of the same thing but I couldn't think of an answer. You gave it to me! Thanks! happy.gif
Wrath.
Sloth killed Lust buddy
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Wrath. @ Sep 21 2006, 12:38 AM) [snapback]448850[/snapback]

Sloth killed Lust buddy

[spoiler]Sloth and Wrath did. Mostly Wrath. He made the big bad circle.[/spoiler]
Migchao
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Sep 20 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]448852[/snapback]

QUOTE(Wrath. @ Sep 21 2006, 12:38 AM) [snapback]448850[/snapback]

Sloth killed Lust buddy

[spoiler]Sloth and Wrath did. Mostly Wrath. He made the big bad circle.[/spoiler]

Sloth? I don't remember her ever taking part in Lust's death.

It was Wrath's fault! He killed EnvyxLust!!!
Popogeejo
I belive Sloth lured lust into the trap. I could be mistaken though...
sweety_pie
I do not think Sloth helped with Lusts death. She was kind of busy being evaperated, maybe?
Anyways, Lust figured out that if she made Wrath cough up enough stones he would eventually die.So he ran, she chased, and forgetting about the transmutation circle.
Nicoli Flamel
If I remember correctly. Sloth was dealing with the Elrics at the time. Lust came after Wrath trying to cut him to peices. The two were bantering about why she was defecting. He lured her into the circle then, if I recall correctly, he still had the necklace, used it on her. She threw up her stones. In doing so he came over and slit her throat before that he asked why did she want to be human...and there was this talk about dieing. Lust goes on to say that she wanted to know if there was something more on the other side. Though I think in truth she just wanted to live her life as a normal woman. Then Wrath went and slit her throat and says something about her death, and then asks why it is that he wants to be human as well.

I don't think that it was the fact that Gluttony ignored Al. I think becuase he wasn't moving around as much as Wrath was, Gluttony didn't see him as a good enough target. Dante said his mind was gone but I don't see that being completely true.

NF
HagaRen016
That's pretty much what I was thinking, too. . .
Amol
hey i think the way Nicoli Flamel describes the death of LUST is preety right.
I totally agree.... i just finished seeing the searies second time and sloth was not involved with Lust dying.

And as for Gluttony ..... people here are just talking about - why is he after WRATH ? huh.gif
I was more amazed to see that huge form of his ohmy.gif and i was busy wondering how could he have acquired that. It was really cool and scary at the first sight.
His Name is Unknown
After having watched the movie a couple times and thought about the series a little more - I don't think it really matters whether Gluttony recognized Wrath or not. Just the fact that he fought (and beat) the one who killed his lust made it seem more appopriate (although, no less disgusting - poor wrath!) In fact, all the Homunculi have deaths that are appropriate/ironic in some way:

Envy - jealousy for Edward and Alphonse's relationship and hatred for Hohenheim leads him to venture beyond the gate. He does eventually get to kill his father, but dies as a result.

Gluttony - dies eating. Lol

Sloth - Killed by the one who created her, which also happens to be her son (in a weird sort of way). She slowly evaporates into the air.

Greed - Wants to have it all, but is prevented by Dante and co. Sacrifices himself to give Ed the guts and the knowledge to kill the other homunculi so he can be avenged.

Pride - killed by Roy Mustang, the man who would be Furher. His only exception for his disdain for the capacity of humans seems to be his son - which is also his undoing.

Wrath - Dies fighting; death is very gruesome.

Lust - desire for humanity is ultimately her undoing. This would be lust in the sense of an extreme longing.

Dante (not a homunculus, I know) - consumed by Gluttony. It's interesting to note that the other two homunculi she created were Greed and Pride, emotions which figure heavily into her character's motivation. That she is eaten alive is almost too perfect. Her body was already being consumed by her desire for immortality and ultimately her life is as well.

Mercy_Alchemist94
I never really thought about it. I always figured that Wrath was the first one he saw, and foccused on him made him completely ignore Alphonse. (Since you're the essense of hunger, when you see food you hunt it down and nothing else matters.)

I didn't see Lust's death, missed that episode I'm afraid... But it'll come up again.
The random alchemist
actually someone ask me that question once over youtube. when I read the "official" subtitles it is possible that at the last moment Dante was going to give back Gluttony's memories via alchemy however once she hit Gluttony with the alchemy she ultimately fell to her demise.
In this case Gluttony fell too and probably couldn't climb back up so he ate Dante's remains and what was left of her PS which probably resulted in the mutation. that's the only explanation if you believe Gluttony could has reconized Wrath.

though I tend to agree moreso with Merci Alchemist94's theory, in which is what I responded to the fellow on youtube. chances are it was simple irony of him seeing Wrath first. wacko.gif
GREEDisGOOD
I really doubt Gluttony recognized anything. Dante had erased his mind. He became an animal. Like a shark, just a great, big eating machine. He just attacked Wrath because he was FOOD!!
Yana
Nah, he couldn't recognize Wrath. I think that Wrath looked more interesting to eat than Al because Wrath started to move right after he saw Gluttony. Al wasn't moving at all, he just watched and was terrified. And because Gluttony had become more like an animal than a human, of course he wanted to hunt his food. That's what came up to my mind...
Fushi
I think Gluttony sensed the red stones still within Wrath and went after him because of that tbh. red stones are pretty much what the homunculi mostly lived on and I'm sure Gluttony was instinctively more interested in those than Al.
AA battery
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Oct 20 2007, 09:37 PM) *
I think Gluttony sensed the red stones still within Wrath and went after him because of that tbh. red stones are pretty much what the homunculi mostly lived on and I'm sure Gluttony was instinctively more interested in those than Al.

Hmm, agreed. Gluttony wants its food (red stone, not red jacket)... so it's Gluttony's instinct to go after Wrath.
Just watched the movie again on YTV 2 days ago because it happens to be airing when I got home... oh man, so much editing. I ended up staring at Al's face and filtered out the voice, heh. *gets shot for off-topicness*
Fushi
^I actually missed that. I didn't find out it was on YTV till the day after. XD;;; Not I really cared because I didn't really like the movie much...

I could just imagine the editting tho. Lol.
carbon
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Oct 21 2007, 10:07 AM) *

I agree, But wat i think is instead of sensing the red stones, Gluttony could smell it...
He sniffs at something after landing in front of wrath and al.
xXdark_kairinekoxX
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Sep 20 2006, 04:30 PM) *
I belive Sloth lured lust into the trap. I could be mistaken though...

yes she did help trap lust and wrath killed her, with eds help.
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
QUOTE (Untitled @ Sep 17 2006, 02:27 AM) *
Hmm.. Yeah! Good point! The only thing that changed with Wrath was his arm and leg but everything else was noticable.. I was thinking of the same thing but I couldn't think of an answer. You gave it to me! Thanks! happy.gif

that is what i think also. cause gluttony only knew alphonse in the armor not in the human form. but he did notice wrath and attack him.
flameshaft
i think that it is still ironic that gluttony went after wrath, who is dark-haired and wearing black clothes, and the only really noticeable things about him were his auto-mail limbs. and that al was wearing a red coat and all. i think all the above-mentioned theories are all very possible. i never really thought about this before.
Archiver
Dante did at that point turn him into a mindless eating monster. All his emotions and memories were gone so he wouldn't focus on Lust. If a hint of those remained, he would have mourned over 'his Lust'. So no, I think when Wrath moved, Gluttony naturally went after him. There is a part of me that wants deep down for Gluttony to remember and go after Wrath, but I think that's impossible.
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
ya i want that aslo. but i am happy with the way that gluttony died. and aslo the way that wrath aslo died too. he got to be reunited with his mother.
Haru0496
i think yes, but i dont know the reason why gluttony attacked wrath.. sad.gif
The_Duchess
NO Gluttonly didnt recognize Wrath.

After years of eating nothing but dirt and the remains of the buildings, Gluttony smelled fresh meat. When Wrath started to provoke him, he forgot about Al.

Some people are sujesting he wanted to kill Wrath for revenge,
but when Dante destroyed his emotions and his brain, all he knew how to do was eat and eat and eat. He was extreemly animalistic with the only goal of fullfilling his stomach. He wasn't smart enough to chase down two prey at the same time.

he was so stupid that he even ate his -assumed- creator Dante.

To quote Envy:
"Death is, as they say, the high cost of living" wink.gif

Jealous Rogo
I also don't think Wrath was recognised by Gluttony, purely because as pointed out, Dante erased his mind and made him into a killing and eating machine. He went after Wrath probably because he was the first to move or because of the the aforementioned red stones. And even if he DID recognise Wrath, it wouldn't explain why he went after Wrath anyway. I don't recall Gluttony ever being told Wrath killed Lust, in fact after he did it, I don't remember it being brought up at all to anyone, so why would he go after Wrath for something he didn't know he did?
The Copycat Alchemist
Wrath, more or less, DEMANDED Gluttony's attention in the movie, but yes, there was some form of familiarity in his mind as he went after Wrath. Because, Al, being the weaker target, would've gotten his attention once wrath started fighting back, so Lust's death would've been the trigger for the animosity.
lunneth
alright i'm gonna answer no because of the episode where glutony's mind is wiped and he becomes a living appetite. at least i think thats how dante describes him
Spooky_Chan
I agree. When Dante wiped his mind, I don't think he had any recollection of ANYONE anymore. I mean, come on, he ATE Dante, who was his master. >> But that's just me.
Flamez_Freak
i think he did...if he really longed for a meal , he would have attacked al too....(i dont remember well , but i dont think he attacked al)...so y go after wrath....

but another thing...how did gluttony find out that wrath/sloth were responsible for lust's death
Luxuria-Cat
No, I think since Gluttony's mind was completely gone, he didn't really understand.
Nature Path Alchemist
what if gluttony had trace thoughts?
despite being mindless, it would make sense to remember subconsciously what was a source of food, and other homunculus, due to the amount of red matter, would be able to help keep him sustained for as long as the red matter's life had. this link to homunculus as an eating machine and leaving subliminal thoughts from his previous self would make sense, especially asit tried first to get to the surface and prevent anyone else from doing so to make his home in the underground. despite being a mindless eating machine, it is logical that he would have had survival instincts and trace thoughts to help with eating, if going for a satisfying meal, of course, in vain as his hunger is insatiable.
AlanSchezar
I support the view that Gluttony was utterly mindless and had no emotions or thoughts whatsoever about Wrath or anything else beyond the instinctual, fleshly desire to eat.

I also support the fact that there is some ambiguity as to whether Dante actually got eaten...>:)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.