Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fma Ending Discussion [major Series And Movie Spoilers!]
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > FMA Conqueror of Shambala Movie
His Name is Unknown
<I'm moving this from FMA Anime American Audience sub-forum to FMA Anime Movie sub-forum. 02/19/07 ~Tombow>

Just wanted to discuss the ending of the Fullmetal Alchemist movie. Just to repeat, there will be some major spoilers in my post, so if you haven't seen the movie or the series yet - stop reading now.

Anyway, I just finished the Fullmetal Alchemist series a couple days ago and watched the movie recently. I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about the ending (of either the series or the movie)?

Personally, I would have been satisfied with the ending presented to us in the series - I thought it was very well done and satisfying, not rushed as some people have claimed. While several important plot elements were left without definite conclusion, the ending was, for me, a very nice thematic book end.

Consider the following:

[spoiler]

Dante is consumed by Gluttony (which is without a doubt the most appropriate way for her character to come to an end considering her amoral quest for eternal life).

Winry still has Al, but continues to wait for Edward. This is in perfect keeping with her character throughout the series, and while sad, it enables the series to have an ending that isn't cliche while still allowing for the possibility that Ed will one day return.

The two brothers both make tremendous sacrifices for one another, and its ironic that it is their love for one another which ultimately separates them.

Hawkeye finally displays the full depth of her feelings towards Roy, and we are left with a strong indication that they will be together.

Envy is last seen pursuing Hoenheim as a green dragon, which symbolizes her envy and rage. Whether or not he/she dies is irrelevant at this point.

Ironically, Wrath finally gets his wish to have Ed's body - he is fitted with the automail arm and leg that Winry had been making especially for Ed. He wanders off into the forest where he first originated.

[/spoiler]

Overall, I'd say this was an excellent ending. Things get a bit more complicated when the movie is taken into consideration however. While more is resolved, we're left with at least one (in my opinion) terrible conclusion.

[spoiler]

Ed and Al are reunited. I supposed this had to be done to satisfy the "fans." I have nothing against this in and of itself, but it does leave Winry with neither of the brothers - permanently. Pretty much inexcusable if you ask me.

Wrath destroys Gluttony and allows himself to be transmuted to help Al. He finally finds peace with his true mother Izumi. Great ending to the character. Second best conclusion in the movie, in my opinion.

The resolution of the Hughes character is perhaps my favorite in the film, although it doesn't get that much screentime. While many people have complained about what a jerk Hughes is in the film, I think they fail to see how much his character really does develop. He begins the film as a Nazi party affiliate with a very stern appearance, but gradually begins to open up to his softer side. The climax of his character's arc is when he shoots Eckhart to protect the gypsy Noa. We then see him (without his stern constable hat) walking to Gracia's house and it is assumed they end up together (we see them together at Alfons' grave).

Hawkeye and Roy are given almost no time together, which I thought was peculiar. I guess the makers figured this had already been dealt with, but still, the absense of any scene does seem out of place.

Ed and Roy's story is given nice closure, but to be honest, I thought the series had a much better parting.

[/spoiler]

All that to say I think the series was better off ending at episode 51. Thankfully though, the movie is still excellent in its own way. Thoughts?
Matt Perry
Wasn't to happy about the way the series ended. Yet, I have yet to see the movie so I will not go down that branch until about the 18th of September.

Anyhow, what makes me uneasy is that it was all so unclear for the, the last 6 episodes just seemed to rushed.

I had no clue what was going on, yet it all stil happened. He found that equivalent exchange did not have a meaning, and that human transmutes were possible because it did happen. Who knows, maybe it'll clear up after I watchthe movie.
His Name is Unknown
Ahh, but Equivalent Exchange did have a meaning. That's why the final episode was called Laws and Promises.

At the beginning of almost every episode starting after #2, Al would recite that quote about equivalent exchange, ending with the line, "In those days, we really believed that to be the one and only truth." With this fact in mind, it was almost inevitable that EE would be revealed to be not entirely true.

By the end of ep 51, Ed and Al view Equivalency not as a law, but rather a promise between the two of them - a belief, a way of life, and a hope that one day they will see each other again.
Popogeejo
Holy search function Batman, I've found some threads this could have gone in!
For those who have seen the movie, rate it.
Your emotions after seeing the film.
Chat about the movie anyone?

Jiminy jilickers, a whole sub forum about the movie! Why didn't you search?
His Name is Unknown
Well, seeing as this is a comparison of the ending of both the anime and the movie, I don't really think the topic would fit in any of the locations you specified.

All the topics you pointed me to were geared towards rating the movie specifically, whereas this is meant to be a thematic/plot comparison between the two.

While I appreciate the Batman reference, the sarcasm was unwarranted. Perhaps you could try contemplating exactly what I posted before jumping the gun.
Matt Perry
People are quick to jump the gun, but I can see where Popo was coming from.
Popogeejo
Fair game to you, the firt too links are indeed more about rating although they have become wider discussions. The third link is fine as it's general chat about the film and the last link is where this should actually be.

I appolgise if I'm not being polite but thats just me (and it's 3:45am).
His Name is Unknown
Haha. That's fine.

Truth be told, I wrote this somewhere else and posted it but just didn't get any responses and I was really in the mood to discuss, so I started an account and posted it here. I gave the forum a quick once-over, but I guess I could have searched more thoroughly.

Anyway, what's done is done, so I'll just add another comment I forgot in the initial post.

The one thing I was really glad that was retained in the movie was the faithfulness to Equivalent Trade. Even though it was stated several times that the principal was not the ultimate truth, nonetheless it always seems to work out to be true in the end. I liked how the sad ending was tempered by the fact that the two brothers were together, Hughes seemed to be rejecting his sterner ways and become more like his Artemis parallel, and the inclusion of a possible love interest who Ed can really relate to.

Tombow
His Name is Unknown - Welcome to the board!! biggrin.gif

Very nicely written, well-thought out post!! smile.gif

But... Batman references aside, I have to second Popo's notion.
We have/have had so many posters who wants to have his/her own "My thoughts on FMA ending" threads, we really have to enforce the traffic control.... even as well written, and well thought out post as yours... So sorry!! sad.gif

I understand your post includes the thoughts on series ending, as well as the movie ending...but, for the purpose of the trafic control for our board, I believe this discussion belongs to FMA "Shambara" movie" sub-forum.

And, since we already have many threads discussing the movie ending (and ending of the whole FMA anime story-line) in that forum, including the ones Popo has posted, and some other threads, please join our discussions on any of those threads there. smile.gif

We would love to see your posts on any of those threads, and on other threads throughout the board!! biggrin.gif
His Name is Unknown
Will do! laugh.gif
Tombow
^^ Thanks, His Name is Unknown!! biggrin.gif
Nepharski
This may have been brought up, but the bullet that blinded Roy's left eye. Who shot it? Archer or Hawkeye. I know where I stand on this, but I'd like to see the general consensus.
Wyrd_Raven
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Sep 11 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]445371[/snapback]

This may have been brought up, but the bullet that blinded Roy's left eye. Who shot it? Archer or Hawkeye. I know where I stand on this, but I'd like to see the general consensus.

Well I just finished watching volume 13 and I don't know myself. Its plausible the shot was done by Archer but its also possible for Riza to have done it, though I'd have to double check the amount of shots Riza fired compared to the wounds Archer got.
Nepharski
QUOTE(Wyrd_Raven @ Sep 12 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]445863[/snapback]

QUOTE(Nepharski @ Sep 11 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]445371[/snapback]

Well I just finished watching volume 13 and I don't know myself. Its plausible the shot was done by Archer but its also possible for Riza to have done it, though I'd have to double check the amount of shots Riza fired compared to the wounds Archer got.

All I know is that I've seen that scene quite a few times, in English and Japanese, and both of them, Archer doesn't fire even once. No noise, no flash, nothing. He raises his gun to shoot Roy, and then is interupted by Riza's gunshots. It's concievable that she missed once, or even shot straight threw him.
Jen_Elric
Nepharski, When I first saw episode 51, I was adament that Archer shot Roy. But, after seeing that part again, and really paying attention, I too heard no gunfire before Riza started shooting. I now believe that she shot (accidently, of course) Roy. And her seeing him bleeding, and then her crying, could have been her realizing that she did it. I'm not happy that I realize this, because I don't like Archer and I really like Riza.
Nepharski
QUOTE(Jen_Elric @ Sep 14 2006, 06:33 PM) [snapback]446458[/snapback]
(accidently, of course)

Of course.

Unless you hold with the evil Riza theory.
I_like_FMA
I think the ending in the anime was fine and the ending in the movir sucked.
dahomunculi
IMO, I think the ep. 51's ending was better. it was more touching then the movie's. Ed and Al should've stayed in thier world-
IttyBittyPretty
[quote name=Anyhow, what makes me uneasy is that it was all so unclear for the, the last 6 episodes just seemed to rushed
[/quote]

How true. The final episode should have been an hour long, even my sister (not the anime fan I am) disliked the credits appearing so early, she thought the episode was over before the final shot!

QUOTE(I_like_FMA @ Sep 15 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]446799[/snapback]

I think the ending in the anime was fine and the ending in the movir sucked.

I suspect the movie ending was such to allow for the possibility of a sequel.
Wyrd_Raven
QUOTE(IttyBittyPretty @ Sep 17 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]447707[/snapback]

I suspect the movie ending was such to allow for the possibility of a sequel.

Except they aren't going to. The Director said as much.
IttyBittyPretty
Today's mail brought me a DVD of the movie and I watched it right after work. And it was...OK, but it could have used 30-40 minutes more. The carnage on the cutting room floor must have been terrible.
And now I've seen the ending, Ed's final speech to Al virtually guarantees a sequel. Don't know if it'll happen, but I really hope it does. And I also hope it'll be better.
The anime ending is still more bittersweet because I feel the series was done to a higher standard than the movie.
shorebay
I loved the series and I love the manga. The movie is pretty good but it seems more questions unanswered for me and at time contradictory to me. The ending in the movie was more bitter. Sure the brothers where back together but their whole world was ripped away. If Al could transmute his soul into th armor, why didn't he send a suit of armor over to the other side to close the gate. Also, in the manga, Edward tells Hawkeye that he is afraid of using a gun, yet in the movie he uses one no problem. It just seemed strange to me. That's all.
Claudius
QUOTE(shorebay @ Feb 1 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]499587[/snapback]
I loved the series and I love the manga. The movie is pretty good but it seems more questions unanswered for me and at time contradictory to me. The ending in the movie was more bitter. Sure the brothers where back together but their whole world was ripped away. If Al could transmute his soul into th armor, why didn't he send a suit of armor over to the other side to close the gate. Also, in the manga, Edward tells Hawkeye that he is afraid of using a gun, yet in the movie he uses one no problem. It just seemed strange to me. That's all.

Answer to question#1: Al sending a possessed armor to the real world to close the gate wouldn't solve anything: Alchemy doesn't work in that world, and the transfer period would be too brief for him to find an alternative way.

Answer to question#2: Yes, Ed has a problem with firearms, but keep in mind that he's been stuck in the real world for two years. He is unable to use any alchemy, so he's forced to find other means to defend himself. Sorta a 'grit your teeth and bear it' situation.

claudius
Kenji
QUOTE(IttyBittyPretty @ Jan 17 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]494753[/snapback]
And now I've seen the ending, Ed's final speech to Al virtually guarantees a sequel. Don't know if it'll happen, but I really hope it does. And I also hope it'll be better.

I have the same opinion too... The Conqueror of Shambala only previewed about the door to paralel world and nothing about the bomb brought through the door...
IttyBittyPretty
Answer to question#1: Al sending a possessed armor to the real world to close the gate wouldn't solve anything: Alchemy doesn't work in that world, and the transfer period would be too brief for him to find an alternative way.

#Actually, alchemy DOES work in the machine (real) world. Just not the way Ed is used to doing it. He was able to a trigger the Thule Society's array when he accidentally wiped blood off his face onto a glove before he touched the circle (Blood seems to be a major component of alchemy). But you are right that Al would have to work quickly to use the possessed armor to close the portal. AFTER he convinced Ed he wouldn't need to sacrifice himself yet again. Course, if he had, there wouldn't be much need for a sequel. :-P So, thank the anime gods for bullheaded older brothers.
Tuckersux
I vote anime, the movie sucked.
Tenkyoen
Yeah...But Deep, deep down, don't all anime fans hate the ending of a good (AWESOME!) series? I mean, what now? the series that you used to stay up every night to watch is over. I mean, what are you going to do now, it's not like we sleep or anything...smile.gif Anyway, most of us feel that when a series is over and you know that there is no sequal, it just kind of sucks. At least I have my manga to hold on to...

What If That ends?!? *Nervous twitching*
Arthur-F.Metal4life
well personaly i think it would be better if another movie would be created and that they camebback somewhy cause man they left Winry all alone
Tombow
I'm moving this from FMA Anime American Audience sub-forum to FMA Anime Movie sub-forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.