Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fma Anime Episode Content Q & A: Place To Post Unanswered Questions From Any Episode
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Fullmetal_heart
okay(pivo) here's my explanation... there are 2 woelds in a fma. the alchemy one and the non- alchemy one....(munich 1923)

the people in munich are used as energy for the alchemy world when the people in munich die. (alchemy world, Shamballa) everyone has a soul, humonculus, humans, everyone. a humonculus is only a dead body that wasnt completely brought back to life by an attempted human transmutation, but part of their soul comes back with the body...but they still have a soul, that's what im saying....so thats how they feel. cause u cant live without a soul and have emotions. everytime Alchemy is used, that energy has to come from somewhere, so everytime its used, someone in munich dies (the other world). Gluttony lost his soul when donte used that alchemy spell... but even if you lose your soul, you can still move and stuff. you just cant feel emotions or pain. gluttony felt sad when lust died but thats because he still had a soul. (with me so far?) but when donte used alchemy on him, his soul dissapeared and he became a complete monster.
pivo
Yeah, I understand. I forgot about Gulattoni-Dante thing. I guess it all makes sense now.
Thanks a lot!
Fullmetal_heart
sure...im glad it helps...
snorlax422
I got a question which I;m not sure has been answered. Why did Ed want to remember the day he burnt down his home?
TheRainbowConnection
QUOTE(snorlax422 @ Jun 1 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]549212[/snapback]
I got a question which I;m not sure has been answered. Why did Ed want to remember the day he burnt down his home?

I believe it was that he wanted to remind himself of his determination in his mission to restore Al and himself to their original bodies.

Check out Episode 17 "The House Where the Family Waits", ~19mins in after Winry opens his watch.

If we may borrow some material from the manga, it would also remind him that they cannot go back and live in the past and have fully committed to their path with no option to turn back and return to Resembool.
Freya-chan
Its kinda A question But has anyone noticed how Eds watch says remember 3.Oct.10 so two years later its 1912, right? Everyone following me? well 1912 is two years before WWI and in the movie its arround the late 1930's when Hitler took over. when the move is 2-3 years after the end of he series... i feel confuzed like ed:

one other thing the two worlds thing confuses me... if you dont die than there isnt another side of you right (roy) but ed and all (as of the end of the series have counter parts in munich (Heidrich, ed heidrich) but there still living how does that happen?!!!!
Amethyst Sunset
I'm not very sure, but I think time passes a little differently in our world than in Amestris. It's possible. WWI went from 1914-1918 (or 1919, I need to brush up on history XD), so if we continued following that timeline, and assuming that Ed was 15 when it was 1914, when he turns 18 the war should still be going on. But in the movie, WWI is over (and would soon be entering WWII), so perhaps like in the Chronicles of Narnia, time flows differently in different worlds.

To answer your second question...

[spoiler]When Ed was sent to the other side of the Gate by Dante, Ed ended up entering the body of alter!Ed, which means that even though Ed was still alive, he also has an alternate self in another world. People don't necessarily have to be dead in Amestris to have doubles in our world.

And of course, there's alter!Gracia. As shown in the final episode, Gracia is still alive.[/spoiler]
Freya-chan
oh... one more question how come ed remebers his life in shamballa but hughes doesnt?
Amethyst Sunset
QUOTE(Freya-chan @ Jun 5 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]549824[/snapback]
oh... one more question how come ed remebers his life in shamballa but hughes doesnt?

The Hughes in that world is not the same as Brigadier General Hughes from Amestris. Sort of an other-worldly double. And if you noticed in the movie, that Hughes is very much unlike his Amestris counterpart.

[spoiler]Ed was simply sent to the other side of the Gate a.k.a. our world when he brought back Al, so originally, he came from Amestris, and thus remembers what it was like there.[/spoiler]
Freya-chan
it all makes sense now... ah anime a cornocopia of weird events, pairings, and stuffed
Twilight Avenger
okay(pivo) here's my explanation... there are 2 woelds in a fma. the alchemy one and the non- alchemy one....(munich 1923)

the people in munich are used as energy for the alchemy world when the people in munich die. (alchemy world, Shamballa) everyone has a soul, humonculus, humans, everyone. a humonculus is only a dead body that wasnt completely brought back to life by an attempted human transmutation, but part of their soul comes back with the body...but they still have a soul, that's what im saying....so thats how they feel. cause u cant live without a soul and have emotions. everytime Alchemy is used, that energy has to come from somewhere, so everytime its used, someone in munich dies (the other world). Gluttony lost his soul when donte used that alchemy spell... but even if you lose your soul, you can still move and stuff. you just cant feel emotions or pain. gluttony felt sad when lust died but thats because he still had a soul. (with me so far?) but when donte used alchemy on him, his soul dissapeared and he became a complete monster.

Munich 1923 is supposed to represent our world......RL. And Shamballa the FMA world. What you said has truth to it. Now, if you are talking about, what the manga has told you, then I can't really elaborate on that, since I don't read the manga at all. Sorry, I am just not a manga person. But, when it comes to the anime, yes, your theory on Gluttony holds some water, but if that was the case, how do you explain Wrath getting all hot and heavy about Sloth being his mother instead of Izumi? I mean, I can understand how you get confused, but that is just taking confusion to a whole nother level. I'd have to go back and look, but, I don't exactly remember how he became confused in the first place. I have all the discs, so yeah, definitly I need to go back and look.

Kinda makes this argument null and void I guess.
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
Ah, the "worlds" argument. This is a good one. smile.gif

I haven't read all of your guys' posts, but am I correct in assuming someone's questions was geared more towards the manga than the anime? Because if so, I'm willing to take a shot at it.
TheRainbowConnection
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Jul 21 2007, 01:20 PM) *
Ah, the "worlds" argument. This is a good one. smile.gif

I haven't read all of your guys' posts, but am I correct in assuming someone's questions was geared more towards the manga than the anime? Because if so, I'm willing to take a shot at it.

Hmm? This subforum is devoted to discussion of the FMA anime. Manga Q&A can be taken to the manga subforum.
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
Lol, thanks, Rainbow, I know that. smile.gif It's just that briefly someone mentioned the manga. smile.gif
river chaser alchemist
Hey, I've got a question. On episode three, Al is talking about how when they were younger and it's showing you when they were little, well on one, you see Edward and Alphonse standing in front of a tree, while Ed has a knife in his hand (I think he looks like he is crying). Now here's my question, what are the doing?

<Moved this and the next two posts from FMA Anime Q&A thread. 07/24/07 ~Tombow>
Edamame
River Chase: The boys were measuring how tall they were against the tree, and marking their heights with the knife. Alphonse was obviously taller than Edward, hence Edward's "crying."
river chaser alchemist
Thank you!!
Plasmajosh
Who transmuted Pride (Furher King Bradley)?
and what (if any) was their relationship?
Kenji
Dante. Pride was one of Dante's ex-lover
Plasmajosh
QUOTE(Kenji @ Jul 29 2007, 03:58 PM) *

Thanks very much.
TheRainbowConnection
QUOTE(Kenji @ Jul 28 2007, 08:58 PM) *

Really? Where was this revealed?
That One Dude
Wasn't Greed Dante's ex-lover??
Kenji
QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Jul 29 2007, 12:39 PM) *
QUOTE(Kenji @ Jul 28 2007, 08:58 PM) *

Really? Where was this revealed?

Ya RLY! Common Sense.

Love is the only reason Dante transmute Pride and Greed and perhaps Gluttony, same with the reason why Hohenheim transmute Envy, Scar's brother transmute Lust and why Ed and Al transmute Sloth.

Hey... she lived for 400 years... I can have about 40 girlfriends in that period of time, given that if I'm not married....
Tombow
For Greed being Dante's ex-lover, you can check out this interesting thread:
Additional conversation between Greed and Envy.
After reading that, yeah, I think Greed was Dante's lover.

I'm not sure about Pride, tho. unsure.gif
As far as I know, there was no clear mention of it in the series. Tho, it could be implied..
(We know how Bradley became Homunculus in manga, but it's a totally different story, so.. ^^)
Plasmajosh
Which episode is this excerpt from - Ed: "You morally bankrupt colonel with a god complex."
I think it might be the alchemy exam one but i'm not sure. He says it to someone else as a message to Mustang.

And has someone gotten to the bottom of who Transmutted Pride? 'cause there is alot of guessing and conjecture going on.
Edamame
Plasamajoh: The excerpt is from episode 16: Lost Thing. Unfortunately, the question of who transmuted Pride still remains unaswered like many things in FMA. Some fans believe that Pride was yet another lover of Dante seeing as how she has been around for over 400 years. The question is open to the speculation of the viewer- I am sue that different people will have various answers.
Plasmajosh
Well it seems like another viewing is in order to get to the bottom of this. I'll let you know if i find anything.

SPOILER

EDIT(5 Aug 2007): It WAS Dante that Transmuted pride, it's divulged throughtout the 13th DVD - Brotherhood.

EDIT(8 Aug 2007):Episode 50 question - Why is it that - Envy looks like Hohenheim? Hohenheim would have been in another body 400 years ago. So why is it that Envy looks similar to the body that Hohenheim is in now rather than the body 400 years ago?
Innocent-malice
ok adding on to Plasmajosh's question If Im correct in one of the earlier episodes envy said that he cant remember what he really looked like, how does he suddenly remember at the end?
Claudius
QUOTE(Plasmajosh @ Aug 2 2007, 02:10 AM) *
EDIT(8 Aug 2007):Episode 50 question - Why is it that - Envy looks like Hohenheim? Hohenheim would have been in another body 400 years ago. So why is it that Envy looks similar to the body that Hohenheim is in now rather than the body 400 years ago?

My theory to Plasmajosh and endless_oblivian:
Considering alchemists can manipulate organic tissue (e.g. chimeras, MangaMarcoh), its possible that alchemists who can perform plastic facial surgery also exist. One can assume Hohenheim had such a talent and with every body switch changed the face to resemble his old one. As for Envy, he may remember what Hohenheim looked like. So he made his Son-of-Hohenheim face out of imagination on what a teenage Hohenheim looked like.

Claudius
Tombow
@Claudius - Aha, yap, that's very plausible!! ^^

In addition....
@Plasmajosh and endless_oblivian, both questions have been raised before, and some theories I heard included:
Envy took that form to shake up Ed mentally. And..
Envy lied when he said he couldn't remember what he really looked like.
Simple theories, but plausible, too. ^^
Innocent-malice
thank you both Claudius-san and Tombow-san.
Vinyl Zen
QUOTE(Twilight Avenger @ Jul 21 2007, 03:56 PM) *

Munich 1923 is supposed to represent our world......RL. And Shamballa the FMA world. What you said has truth to it. Now, if you are talking about, what the manga has told you, then I can't really elaborate on that, since I don't read the manga at all. Sorry, I am just not a manga person. But, when it comes to the anime, yes, your theory on Gluttony holds some water, but if that was the case, how do you explain Wrath getting all hot and heavy about Sloth being his mother instead of Izumi? I mean, I can understand how you get confused, but that is just taking confusion to a whole nother level. I'd have to go back and look, but, I don't exactly remember how he became confused in the first place. I have all the discs, so yeah, definitly I need to go back and look.

Kinda makes this argument null and void I guess.

Remember that Wrath had some of Ed's limbs, which is the reason why he can perform alchemy and I suppose this is where his attachment with Sloth comes from. Also, Sloth is the only motherly figure among the homunculi
StormGoddess
QUOTE(Fullmetal_heart @ Apr 23 2007, 08:12 AM) *

I disagree. As far as I know, homunculi don't have souls but minds and some memories instead. That's why they are called "failed human transmutation." Gluttony didnt lose his soul because he doesnt have it. Dante just turned him into "real Gluttony", by taking/erasing his mind off (with the use of alchemy). He's just like a zombie, it doesnt have mind and soul but it moves, and it doesnt mind getting hurt as long as it gets the food it wants. Please correct me if I'm wrong. unsure.gif
The Frozen Alchemist
As to the discussion of Envy's true form on the previous page. If you look at wikipedia under Homunculi of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime, it says that as the oldest homunculus, Envy had claimed that he had forgotten what he originally looked like; this was a lie stemming out hatred for his "father", Hohenheim.
Mat-Mat
happy.gif I was always wondering something. I know that Envy was created by Hohenheim, Greed was created by Dante, Lust was created by Scar's brother, Wrath was created by Izumi, and Sloth was created by Ed and Al. sleep.gif Who created Pride and Gluttony? huh.gif I think that Gluttony was created by Dante, but I never figured out who created Pride. mellow.gif
The Frozen Alchemist
Dante made Pride and Gluttony.
Mat-Mat
Thanks for that. happy.gif That was my guess, but I really wasn't sure. mellow.gif
edo little kid
was Ed hating Roy ...really?or just appear that in his childish's conducts2- who is Envy more love_______ Ed or Al ?
Tombow
@edo little kid - I don't recall having the impression that Ed "hates" Roy from watching anime.
Is there any particular scene that makes you think that Ed hates Roy? unsure.gif
Amethyst Sunset
Ed may hate the way Roy does things, but I highly doubt they would harbor any hate for each other. After all, Roy does keep Ed's secrets in his back pocket and he was the one who recruited Ed into the military in order to help with his quest, and Ed boosted Roy's popularity (since it's not everyday you recruit a prodigy into the military, let alone one who can transmute without a circle).

I guess you could say that on the outside, they would rather mind their own business, but really, I think Roy is like a big brother (even a father) figure to Ed. The Colonel looks out for both Elrics...he just doesn't show it too much.
edo little kid
oh happy.gif thanks Tombow

&

Amethyst Sunset
Fullmoon Alchemist
Hi there. Hey, I have one doubt. Can someone explain me how the whole "Gate" thing works?
Saving_Grace

Hey! You there! Tell me quick!!!

I need to know the first time that Lust and Gluttony bump into the Elrics in the anime. I'm not talking about the first time that we as an audience meet Lust (I know when that is) nor in the Lab parts where Ed and Lust chat for the first time. But the actual moment in the story timeline when Lust first sees them. I'm sure she has an encounter with them before the Lior- Cornello thing...

I just re-read that and it sounds confusing, haha.

Please and thanks, guys!
Tombow
^ I think Lust and Al exchange words in one of Lab 5 episode, then Lust and Ed in the following episode?? But I can't remember if Gluttony was there...

------------

@Fullmoon Alchemist - About the gate... that's like, one of the biggest spoilers of all in FMA anime... do you really like to know? XD
Saving_Grace
No, no, before that. I could have sworn Lust saw the Elrics before Ed joined the military, and was like "hmm". Meh. Don't worry, I should just suck it up and go through all the episodes guides I can fine. Thanks anyway. biggrin.gif

No, no, before that. I could have sworn Lust saw the Elrics before Ed joined the military, and was like "hmm". Meh. Don't worry, I should just suck it up and go through all the episodes guides I can fine. Thanks anyway. biggrin.gif
Tombow
^ But, they don't "meet." each other. XD

Lust observes Ed behind the tree or something, but doesn't bump into Ed. That's why I intentionally excluded that. XD But yes, they do. Can't remember which episode, tho. XD
Sorry!! Hopefully, some others can help you out!! ^^
Saving_Grace
QUOTE(Tombow @ Jul 11 2008, 07:16 AM) *
^ But, they don't "meet." each other. XD

Lust observes Ed behind the tree or something, but doesn't bump into Ed. That's why I intentionally excluded that. XD But yes, they do. Can't remember which episode, tho. XD
Sorry!! Hopefully, some others can help you out!! ^^

Sorry, poor choice of words. That's what I meant though, the tree thing. Thanks for your help. wink.gif
armaroth
~ Ed's Mysterious Question At Episode 17 ~

At episode 17 when ed and al are in their bedroom, Al talks about him not remembering some things.
Ed then wants to ask al a question, but he is afraid of how al's response would be. so he doesn't ask the question. Does anyone know what the question was?

Thanks in adavance
Popogeejo
He was wondering if Al blamed him for getting stuck in the Tin Can.
Tris
Yeah, he was wanting to know if Al hated him, essentially.

Although I could almost swear that question was elaborated on later in either that episode or the next.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.