Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fma Anime Episode Content Q & A: Place To Post Unanswered Questions From Any Episode
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
esrz22
What I want to know is how Roy loses his eye. He has it, he gets threatened, we next see him collapsed with much blood from the head, and then he's in bed with an eyepatch. Did he get shot or something? I ask because I don't recall hearing any shots fired. I may just have been dense when watching it, and I suppose being shot makes some sense.
Tombow
QUOTE(esrz22 @ Nov 19 2006, 01:34 AM) [snapback]475424[/snapback]
What I want to know is how Roy loses his eye. He has it, he gets threatened, we next see him collapsed with much blood from the head, and then he's in bed with an eyepatch. Did he get shot or something? I ask because I don't recall hearing any shots fired. I may just have been dense when watching it, and I suppose being shot makes some sense.
I, along with many others inffer Roy was shot by the Terminator-Archer, tho there was no actual scene to explain how Roy got hurt in anime.
*now waits for Nepharski or others to come and post about Riza shot Roy theory..* tongue.gif
esrz22
QUOTE(Tombow @ Nov 19 2006, 02:05 AM) [snapback]475448[/snapback]
QUOTE(esrz22 @ Nov 19 2006, 01:34 AM) [snapback]475424[/snapback]
I, along with many others inffer Roy was shot by the Terminator-Archer, tho there was no actual scene to explain how Roy got hurt in anime.
*now waits for Nepharski or others to come and post about Riza shot Roy theory..* tongue.gif

Yeah, that's the closest we get.

I have been precise, but I think we see 'every' Riza-shot hit Termiarcher.
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
Definitely the Terminator-Archer!!! Think about it in sequence - Roy comes out, holding Selim (so cute!) - Archer comes out of some bushes, says something, and Roy goes, "Oh, shiznat!" (not really...) Then, cut-scene, here comes Riza to the rescue!!! She's running up, and there's Archer - with his hand held up and in his hand is - gasp! - a gun! So, she stops, fires about 4 or 5 times (the bullet holes match w/ the sound effects), he collapses, she runs up, and then there's Roy, bleeding from the head! Yaay! 'Tis proof! The Termin-Archer shot Roy!! He did it while Hawkeye was running up the drive...

As for the eyepatch, I think he has an eyepatch simply b/c he no longer has vision in his eye - it didn't necessarily have to be shot out... if the bullet struck near the eye, kind of by the temple, then it damages the nerves and whatnot, and vision is decreased/completely gone. Scarring also adds to that... So! I like to think that Roy still technically has his eye, just not his vision... I'm sure of this b/c I'm also very sure that the Termin-Archer has a really crappy shot... After all, he couldn't even really hit Izumi, even though he had a machine gun for a mouth... (*shudder*)

@ GameMusic I know that "I am random rawr" already kind of went through these, but I'll go ahead and add my own two cents' worth! smile.gif

ASSUME EVERYTHING FROM HERE ON DOWN IS A SPOILER!!!! It's such a pain to do the spoiler box for entire paragraphs...

1. Why did Dante order Pride not to attack Lior, even though she wanted Scar to make the stone? Lust then questions her on this and she just dismisses it as nothing.
> Did you ever watch Pirates of the Caribbean? "Wait for the opportune moment" - I know that there was more to my explanation, but it's been so long since I've seen that episode (and I did understand when I watched it, I promise)... But, basically, Lust had the right thinking... but Dante's a funny little character, after all, and her greed has kind of gotten so out of hand that her reasons aren't always the most logical... Tell you what, next time I watch this episode, I'll post back here and re-explain. smile.gif It may be a while, but I will do it!

2. How did Dante find Lust? It's shown that she collects homunculi made by others, but only those that she knows about.
> Keep in mind that she has her existing homunculi constantly on the lookout for potential stone-creators. I'm sure she knew about Scar's brother's attempts at human transmutation as soon as the idea popped into his own head. Which would make one heck of a lot of sense, considering that the Ishbal war started at about the same time as the brother tried all of that stuff... (get it?? Pride was the fuhrer then... Get it???? Cool, huh?)

3. Did Al kill Envy? That's what it looked like to me, when he tossed those transmutation circles around. So why did Envy keep his body when he went through the gate? It seemed he was killed at met Ed at the gate, not just happened to be next to it, because they appear together and talk. Why did he turn into a dragon and how did he and his body get to Earth?
> Nope! All of the circles were to summon the gate so that Al could bring Ed back, right? Envy was just too close at hand - he kind of got caught up in it (it was a powerful transmutation, you know) that and he's a homunculus, and homunculi are naturally drawn to the gate. So, since he didn't die, and he was in front of the gate when it was summoned, he was able to look at it, etc. without consequences. However, he wanted to get at Hoenheim, right? So, he pushed his way through, as you know - but, the creatures inside the gate (most likely humans-to-be) wanted his body - which is why he kept transforming into different people, in order to make them leave his body alone - so, he changed into an extremely powerful being - namely a dragon - which solved his problem. But, since alchemy can't be used on the other side of the gate, he had no way of changing back. Make sense?

4. Envy shows his true face as a son of Hohenheim, but Dante said that she hadn't encountered Hohenheim in centuries. So has Hohenheim been in that body for centuries, or did his previous body have a strong likeness, or was Envy just using a fake face to shock Ed? Is Envy's normal face his real face?
> We assume that Hoenheim has had the same body for centuries (since he was last with Dante, however long that is), but that he is not in his original body - remember the scene where Dante was telling of how she and Hoenheim first used the stone? Well, remember how the man doing the transmutation (who we can pretty much correctly assume is, in fact, Hoenheim) collapses, and Dante shows/tells us how she pretty much grabbed another man in the room to host Hoenheim's soul? So yeah... We don't know how many bodies Hoenheim has been through but we do know this: -He has kept the same body since he was last with Dante. -His current body is not his original. As for Envy, he tells us early-on in the series that he doesn't even remember what he used to look like. So, as far as the face he had goes, it's entireley possible that he kind of just made it up to shock Ed (since the face did indeed look like a younger Hoenheim); if that's the case, then Envy's "current" face probably does look a lot like how he did when he was fully human.

I'll answer the rest in a bit after I've had some turkey! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

TheEnternalAlchemist
3. Did Al kill Envy? That's what it looked like to me, when he tossed those transmutation circles around. So why did Envy keep his body when he went through the gate? It seemed he was killed at met Ed at the gate, not just happened to be next to it, because they appear together and talk. Why did he turn into a dragon and how did he and his body get to Earth

im to lazy to read all the other answers (sry if this has already been said)
3. I don't think he got killed. and he ask the hamunkulus inside the gate to bring him to Hoelhime... why he turned into a dragon is so the homunkulus inside the gate couldnt stay on him attemting to take his body.

I have a question... in an early eposoid completely befor al became the pholosipher stone he went into water, wouldnt that destroy his blood seal??? people have said the water is too shallow to reach his blood seal but if u see the eposoid he goes completly under and he makes a splash that could also get his bood seal. but he went in not foot first but on his side. ( sorry my screen shot w/ my copmp isnt working i had to use my digital camera)
GateKeeper
When that happens they all get worried, but then they seem to just accept that fact that what they thought was wrong as Al didn't leave the armor.
@ TheEnternalAlchemist - that's definitely a major point of debate among Fullmetal fans - personally, I think it was a consequence of inconsistency in the writing - you know, they get to the later point in the series, have a great idea, and put it in - but forget that something similar happened earlier with an opposite effect... However, now that I've had some time to think about it, that may not be the case... Consider this:

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

Remember when Ed killed Majahal? Well, he didn't exactly seem too distraught about the whole thing, did he? He was young - his mother had died, and now someone else - a "bad guy" had died, but unintentionally - and it all happened very fast, in mere moments. Not exactly too much time for it to register to him that he had killed someone. Then, later in the series, when he and Al are going after Scar for the final time, Ed tells the two Ishbalan boys that he doesn't look forward to killing anybody - but does admit to the fact that he had killed someone before. Al tells him that it was an accident, and to not think about it that way. Ed disagrees, having now had the experience that finally allowed him to see just what it was that he had done - he killed Majahal. So, here's what I think now about the whole "dumping Al in the water" thing - this may be a bit rambling, so just try and follow me, ok? happy.gif
First:
Al falls in the water - it's possible that, even though he fell on his side, he was only submerged for a few seconds if the water was shallow enough for him to be sitting up in it; so, it's physically possible that no water entered the inside of his armor in that location, or if it did, it wasn't enough to cause damage like the swiftly running water of a river would - make sense?
Second:
Also, it may not have occured to Ed so early on that it was possible for Al's blood seal to be so easily removed - something that he realizes is false in his encounter with the homunculi and "guardians" at Lab 5 - remember the "Slicer Brothers?" Lust demonstrates to Ed what happens when a blood seal is removed/broken, and then begins to demonstrate again on Al. It is at this point that Ed realizes just how much precaution he has to take in order to preserve his brother - up to this point he feels his brother is safely protected inside his armor, and that the thread that connects Al's soul to the armor is not as fragile as it really is.

So, basically, Ed views his brother as practically indestructible until a close call shows Ed just how easily he could lose his brother.

Make sense? I hope so! smile.gif I also hope that you actually read this. laugh.gif

@ GameMusic - my fingers hurt right now after all of that, so give me a few hours and I'll pick back up at question 5, ok? happy.gif
GameMusic
On the Hohenheim question, I rewatched it, and Dante really seems to be saying slowly aging body. And Mustang says he wants to ask Hohenheim about those pictures he's seen of him, which really makes me wonder if Hohenheim has been in the same body for hundreds of years. Maybe Dante was mistranslated however?

But that seems to go against the whole point of them using the stone to switch bodies. Dante says she's switched so many times she doesn't remember, but less than 10. In 400 years? It sounds like she's switching pretty frequently if we guess 8, and at about what you'd expect if she ages normally. And in the flashback the original Hohenheim looks quite a bit like the current version, so perhaps he does pick similar bodies. Maybe Mustang saw pictures of Hohenheim in other bodies and that's what he's asking about.

Then we have Envy, who is a liar and says he's forgotten what he originally looked like. He could be lying about that or about his real face.

So we have 4 explanations for Envy as Hohenheim Jr. I wish the anime had some solid hint to point to any of them.

Dante, BTW, says she doesn't know how to make a stone, so that answers a question.

What's frustrating about FMA plotholes is that most of them could be easily explained away or avoided but the anime writers seemed to decide not to do so. Al not being able to go in water was never really used in the plot so I don't know why they even put it in. A very easy reason, explainable in a single sentence by Dante or Pride, for Dante not to attack Lyore would be to prevent backlash against Bradley, and have Archer as an aggressive patsy to take the blame for walking into a trap. It's neve really suggested how Armstrong gets soldiers to rebel with him or the military quickly turns over control, though an easy guess would be the Lyore defeat and another war in a dangerous place, but we don't see any hints besides Armstrong's muscles. And it's never hinted whether Mustang escaped prosecution by the testimony of Selim, or the writers not wanting to bother with it.

BTW, when the Al not being able to go in water plot point was introduced, did anybody else guess that Dante was attached to Lyra by a blood seal, and that was why she couldn't shower (effectively, anyway), explaining the smell?
RoyMustangRox

never thought about that...
The random alchemist
I never thought about Lyra having a blood seal on her Oo I just thought with the craziness with is the PS she could attach it without the need on an array.
jefe
i dont think the smell was for her not showering, but cause of her rotting body.

i have a question, (dont know if it was already asked)

hughes knew that he was going into a trap, he even believed that marcoh wasnt in that place. so why walking right in it? he thought that sloth was just gonna let him get away? he could have just gotten away without anyone knowing what he had discivered and used that knowledge better instead of getting himself killed. am i right?
As for the whole Dante/Hoho thing that was going on earlier, I haven't read your full discussion (I haven't been on in weeks, so I'm kind of ping-ponging around at this point), but as far as jumping from body to body and Hoho's body possibly aging, rather than changing, I have this to say:

Dante has others create the stones for her. She, like the homunculi, have no ability/whatever to perform alchemy - while the homuculi may simply not be able to b/c they don't have a soul, it can be therefore argued that Dante can't since she is slowly losing hers... Either that or she is simply inept at the art - kinda like "squibbs" in the Harry Potter world... she just can't do it... like me and calculus!!! As for Hoho, while Dante burns through her stones jumping from body to body, Hoho probably had the foresight - or the change of conscience (well, actually, since Dante put him in a new body herself, I guess he can't totally be at fault) to rather use the stone to preserve his body, rather than constantly try and find somehting better like Dante does (superfulous freak... did I spell that right? Probably not...) Oh, and about the quick comment of the smell and the perfume thing - it was to mask the scent of decay, which is extremely strong, and, when you get right down to it, kind of sickly-sweet... Ever driven by road-kill?

So yeah! I'll argue more on that later after I finnish reading what the argument is in the first place! laugh.gif

As for dear jefe, your question, I believe, was:
hughes knew that he was going into a trap, he even believed that marcoh wasnt in that place. so why walking right in it? he thought that sloth was just gonna let him get away? he could have just gotten away without anyone knowing what he had discivered and used that knowledge better instead of getting himself killed. am i right?

And now an answer: Various things on this one - while, in all standard logic, that makes complete and total sense, let's just break it down bit by bit and delve into the human psyche along with the government of FMA. Yes, you are correct, Hughes possibly had the chance to escape - however, it's possible that he didn't *fully* realize the implications of everything until it was too late - hence his phone call to Roy after escaping. Another thing - he didn't know he was dealing with homunculus. If we assume he only knew part of the story, minus the involvement of the homunculi, it would be wise of us to assume that, being the good soldier that he is, he figured things out as he went along, and sometimes one step ahead. He also knew that there would be attempts to stop him from leaking this info. However, he didn't know that he was up against immortal beings. When Ross came up shooting bullets at Lust (he didn't know Sloth was a homuculus), he assumed that Lust was dead. Basically, think of it like this: He knew that the info he figured out was dangerous, and that he had to put an end to it there, or else be hunted continuously. He acted accordingly, believing to have killed "the enemy," and thus eliminating a source of disrest among the heirarchy of the gov't. What he didn't know was the powers of the homunculi, and the fact that "Ross" was one of them. So... he did what his logic told him to do - destroy the "source" of the info and alert the proper people - Mustang. He didn't, however, get that chance - had he known that the people he was up against (all women, too... huh... never really thought about that one before...) were, essentially, immortals with incomprehensible powers, you can be sure that he might have thought more strategically (spelled that one wrong, too) - unless, of course, we go back to a previous theory, in that the pieces didn't quite fall together until it was too late to turn back. So - circumstance being what they were, and being the person that he was, it is extremely doubtful that Hughes would have took a course of action such as you suggested - remember, Arakawa intended for her audience to know more than her own characters. wink.gif

Let me know if that helped or not! happy.gif
jefe
yeah, i guess that what you say, the new fullmetal, makes sense. however, thinking it that way i would have taken a bulletproof best XD
@ jefe - Haha! laugh.gif Yeah, I guess I would've, too - although considering the circumstances, I don't think he had the time! happy.gif
Amaya Hawkeye
This isn't really an unanswered question but I didn't know where to put it... so... here goes...

Please hear me out, I know this is long but I really would like the answers.

I watch both subbed and dubbed episodes, so when they change lines for the dub, it always annoys me, but sometimes they have two versions of it!!! One is usually closer to the Japanese lines than the other, and some just plain dont make any sense at all!

Episode 5 - "Haruko" vs. "Hakuro" - The first one isnt so bad, in fact, I doubt anyone really noticed it. Originally when I first saw episode five they called the General "Haruko", I knew from the fansub it was "Hakuro". Later I saw episode five again and they said Hakuro. its not just me hearing things, I went back and watched the file I had originally watched and they said "Haruko"

Episode 25 - Missing Scenes - Then, I'm sure alot of people noticed this, and its really understandable, in episode 25, for time reasons on adult swim they had to cut out one of my favorite scenes, later, I downloaded the episode again and the scene was added back in. Ask my friends, I screeched at the top of my lungs. All an Al fangirl wants to hear is him saying "I at least wanted to fall in love before I'm through". heehee. Also they changed the oh-so-amazing line "Its starting to rain" to "Its going to rain today" for no good reason, no lipsyncing problems or anything. But I dont believe they ever fixed that. (If they did, please tell me)

Episode 20 - Strangely changed lines - This one though really bugs me, and I would like to know what version is on the DVDs. I was just watching a recently downloaded version of Episode 20 - Soul of the Guardian where Al meets up with Barry the chopper again and Al sees that he's not the only "soul in a can" as Ed puts it. Now the first time I saw this episode on a different downloaded file when BTC's head falls off and then he explains everything about how he came to be Al says "Is that so" and BTC says "Is that so?! What do you mean is that so?! People get terrified if a serial killer comes back from the dead, and if you see an empty suit of armor move on it's own you should be like WAHHH! or AHHHH or WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR BODY?!" then Al takes off his head and BTC says "AHHHH WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR BODY?!" then Al says "Take it easy, you're going to hurt my feelings" (Its my favorite scene besides the end where Al isnt sure if he's human or not, so yeah, I memorized it.) But in the version I'm watching now BTC says "Is that so?! What do you mean is that so?! People get terrified if a serial killer comes back from the dead, and if you see an empty suit of armor move on it's own you should be like WAHHH! or AHHHH or HE DOESNT HAVE A BODY!!!" then Al takes off his head and BTC says, without seeming shocked that Al just took his head off, even though his movements say different "Whats wrong with you, can't you see how terrifying I am?!" then Al says "take it easy, your going to hurt my feelings." which, might I add, makes no sense after BTC's line.

So, I'm sorry for my long rant here, its 1:30 in the morning where I am and I realized I always write alot when its late at night, but if you could please tell me what version of episode 20 is on the DVD and answer whatever other questions I asked in my rant it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Yeah, the whole sub-dub thing is a bit tricky... Keep in mind, though, that sometimes it's just a mistake - understandable - shit happens, right? Also, that sometimes lines are changed b/c the script writer made the call that the changed line may make more sense to American audiences - as is the case (I know this for sure) in some of the Final Fantasy games. But let's go in order...

the whole Hakuro thing. I'd chalk this one up to a mistake. In the Japanese version it's sometimes hard to tell what they're saying, and the script writers for the English version didn't have the entire series to work off of when they started - they'd get maybe one to two episodes at a time - for all we know, they weren't sure of the name, had a deadline, and went with their gut. And it only happened once - so, the whole "just a mistake" thing holds true, don't you think?

the missing scene - that was taken out purely for time constraints. Nothing more, nothing less. If you buy the dvds you'll notice that the line is in fact in there - adult swim just didn't have the time to show it all - they wanted to be able to get to the end. smile.gif As far as the rain thing, yeah, I noticed that, too - I'm not too sure why it was changed - we could speculate and run around in circles for days if we wanted to, but quite frankly I don't want to... But here's one theory that holds a bit more water than the others... This is the pivotal episode of the series where the anime and the manga officially deviate. If I'm not mistaken, in the manga Roy says "It's starting to rain" - my theory is that they changed the line around a bit to accentuate all the more that the anime and the manga are now officially completely seperate stories.

Al vs. BTC - I'm not sure at all where you heard that second part... Umm... without going back and reading the manga/watching the episode, I do remember thinking that in one form of the story (manga vs. anime) Barry reacted much more, shall we say, energetically than he did in the other. Mostly b/c in the anime Barry met Ed before, but in the manga Barry is a new character when he's introduced in the armor. But I can tell you this: as far as the anime goes, the subbing/dubbing debate on the lines is pretty much the same. As far as the whole "difference of scenes" goes, I really have no idea - that whole scene with Barry in the anime was the same on adult swim, the English-edition DVD, and the Japanese-released DVD (I watched it at my friend's house - she's Japanese). So... not sure about this whole "scene version switch-up" - sorry!

Hope some (or any) of that helped - just remember that we, as the audience, know very little of the process involved with dubbing and the screen-writing. We just have to put up with it, b/c they're doing the best that they can.

I'd like to throw in my biggest line pet-peeve, if I may - now, I'm not complaining too much, b/c I don't think they could have done the original line considering how relatively short the scene was... I'm talking episode.... 51? Maybe 50, but I'm pretty sure ep. 51 when Mustang [spoiler]proceeds to burn Bradley's ass[/spoiler] - that's my favorite line, ever, when Mustang draws the transmutation circle on his hand in his own blood - Japanese version - "Bradley - how many more times must I kill you before you die?" SO COOL!!!!!!! I don't remember the English version verbatum, but it was a lot shorter - which makes me think they couldn't do the original during the scene b/c the dialogue would've been too long. smile.gif

mysticwateralchemist
Hey I have a question, and I hope you don't mind a noob like me asking. I don't know how to do the spoiler thing, so if you haven't seen the whole series, just don't read my post.

[spoiler]Ok, in the last episode, when it shows Edward is brought back to life, did you notice that he has his right arm back to normal? I mean it is NOT auto-mail there. Then, when he has the transmutation circles on his body, you see that again, his arm is back to normal. Afterwards, at the very end, I think it was in munich 1921 or something, he has an auto-mail arm again! He has an auto-mail arm on the train, and in the movie, too! Was this a mistake? I actually think it makes more sense that he got his arm back, though, because Wrath got Edward's right arm and left leg taken away, so why wouldn't Al restore his arm and leg, too? And he did get his arm and leg back, wouldn't both brothers have suceeded in bringing their bodies back to normal? I don't understand why BONES or whoever changed it.[/spoiler]

<I went ahead and put the spoiler tags. Hope you don't mind. ^^ ~Tombow.>
Tombow
@mysticwateralchemist - Of course we don't mind you asking the questions!! This thread is made for that!! happy.gif

That ending part is rather confusing isn't it?? biggrin.gif
[spoiler]I know Ed in the Germany was Alter!Ed, and Ho-ho papa made that artificial arm, tho it's not as good as the automail Ed had in the "Hagaren" world, hence he can't do braiding of his hairs, and he has it as a pony-tail in the movie... or so said the director of the "Shambara" movie in his interview.. [/spoiler]
And, the rest, I'm sure The New Fullmetal Alchemist or others can explain much better than I do. biggrin.gif

BTW, to put the spoiler tags, type in spoiler codes like this around your contents:
CODE
[spoiler]contents[/spoiler]

And, when this gets posted it loks like this: [spoiler]contents[/spoiler]

(Or, if your browser allow this, highlight the part you want to put under spoiler cover, and click on Insert Special Item, pick Insert: SPOILER, then click OK.)
Funderful
Wow. Now I'm confused.

But now, I have an even dumber question.
Is there a manga equivelant of this thread?
I have a question that's been bugging me.
Tombow
^^ @Funderful - I saw your question on "penny" thread.
I posted my response on Penny thread, post #43571. smile.gif
Edamame
Mystic Water: [spoiler] I asked the same question in the past and I am still rather confused by it. I believe that Edward lost his arm and his leg for the second time upon transmuting himself and passing through the Gate. ( However, the last episode makes it appear as though Edward "arrived" in Munich, Germany with his auto-mail.) In episode fifty-one, Edward's "auto-mail" is archaic in comparison to the automail that he had fashioned by Winry in the Hagaren world. You can see how stiff his arm is when he is packing his suit-case. I believe that the final shot of Edward reaching up his auto-mail arm on the train is an artistic choice of the director.

In the movie, Edward is sporting a prosthetic arm that appears to have a greater range of movement in comparison to his "auto-mail" arm in episode 51. Noah is shocked that Edward's prosthetics are able to have such a great range of motion. Edward says that his father is the one responsible for fashioning his prosthetic arm and leg. His brain still sends singles to the muscles allowing for the movement of his prosethetics, which sounds vaguely like the manner is which auto-mail works. When attaching his prosthetic leg, he has a port to attach it just like he had with his auto-mail. So I'm guessing that Hohenheim had some idea regarding basic auto-mail construction considering he spent time around Pinako. How in the world he managed to construct it, remains a plot-hole. [/spoiler]
Ice Blizzard
This questio may have already been asked, And there might not be an answer to it but ... Around episode 47~48 , Ed asked lust who their leader was, And lust responded that she would tell him after he turned her into a human. She died mellow.gif
Tombow
QUOTE(Ice Blizzard @ Dec 29 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]489258[/snapback]
This questio may have already been asked, And there might not be an answer to it but ... Around episode 47~48 , Ed asked lust who their leader was, And lust responded that she would tell him after he turned her into a human. She died mellow.gif

@Ice Blizzard - Yeah... sad [spoiler]she died... yet, by experiencing death, she learns what being human is like... sort of, according to her.. and hope that holds true[/spoiler].. for her sake.
As far as their leader, that turned out to be [spoiler]Dante[/spoiler], I guess??
Ice Blizzard
Gasp, I would've thought it might be some hippy living in the gate mellow.gif
Tombow
QUOTE(Ice Blizzard @ Dec 29 2006, 07:20 PM) [snapback]489300[/snapback]
Gasp, I would've thought it might be some hippy living in the gate mellow.gif

Gahaha!! The gate as the hippie commune!! XDDD
Now that's a new interpretation of FMA anime!!! laugh.gif
GREEDisGOOD
I have probably the dumbest question here. I don't know why, but it seems to bug me. In 'Theory of Avarice', just before Ed and Greed fight, when Ed is chewing Greed out for killing Dante, Greed says "Feelings can be hard to explain."
It's an out-of-the-blue statement, and I don't get what Greed means by it.
Greensky
QUOTE(GREEDisGOOD @ Jan 13 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]493937[/snapback]
when Ed is chewing Greed out for killing Dante, Greed says "Feelings can be hard to explain."
It's an out-of-the-blue statement, and I don't get what Greed means by it.

I think it was just because Ed thought that Greed killed Dante, implying that he was heartless. As a homunculi, Greed most likely resents not being able to feel as much as a human feels, and for him and the other homunculi, feelings are hard to explain. Lust for example kills others without reason, even people she has memories of.

I have a couple of questions myself. If anyone knows the answers I'd be grateful. Spoilers!

1) How was it that Hoenheim crossed the gate back into the alchemy world near the end of the series? I understand that it was Dante who sent him back into the gate at the end, but I don't know how he came out of the gate to begin with.

2) The first time we see Envy in the series, he transforms from Cornelo to his long-haired he/she form. Lust says "That look again? You love to look young, don't you?" and Envy replies "What else can I do? I don't remember my true form." But at the end of the series Envy shows Ed his true form... What the heck?
Reta McClain
Greensky:

1) I don't think I understand your question. Hohenheim crosses over because Dante throws Rozé's baby up in the air and so on. But... Hohenheim don't cross back to the alchemy world in any point after that. Unless I answered to your question by accident, would explain it a bit better? Give me episode numbers or something?

2) Envy either lied or he remembered his true form again at some point.
Greensky
For my first question, I am talking about the very first time we see Hoenheim in the anime series. He comes back to Resembul to see Ed and Al. Wasn't he stuck in the other world before that? If so, how did he cross over?
Edamame
Greensky: Hohenheim was never stuck in out world previous to his return to Risembool. In episode forty-five, Hohenheim is sent through the Gate by Dante, and arrives in our world.
Tombow
@Greensky - I believe Edamame is correct. Hoenheim left Trisha, but he has stayed somewhere in Hagaren world before "the very first time we see Hoenheim in the anime series." He never went to [spoiler]the other world[/spoiler] during that time.
Poke97531
<Merged "Rose Had A Baby...?" thread here. 01/22/07 ~Tombow>

When the hell did Rose have a baby and why couldn't she talk...
Nekokitty
She had a baby later in the series and she couldn't talk because she was mute.
Tombow
@Poke97531 - Welcome to the board!!
I'm going to merge this to FMA anime Q&A thread. biggrin.gif

ETA: Merged "Rose Had A Baby...?" thread here.
Poke97531
well, i mean you see her in the begining, a bit into the series she gets captured, then you see her later and she has a baby...
Tombow
QUOTE(Poke97531 @ Jan 23 2007, 12:11 AM) [snapback]496642[/snapback]
well, i mean you see her in the begining, a bit into the series she gets captured, then you see her later and she has a baby...
@Poke97531 - Although it's not directly said so in anime, we assume [spoiler]Rose became pregnant because of what happened during the capture (presumably raped by the captors,) and because of that trauma/shock she went into being mute.
[/spoiler]
Odd... I know I made a post here the other day... Hmm... Oh, well! So - how's everyone doing?

Oh, and Tombow - *is* there a seperate forum for manga-related questions, or is everything just kind of heaped together? Thanks! ^^
Tombow
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Jan 24 2007, 06:35 PM) [snapback]497070[/snapback]
*is* there a seperate forum for manga-related questions, or is everything just kind of heaped together? Thanks! ^^
@The New Fullmetal Alchemist - Nop, this one is for FMA anime only. biggrin.gif
For manga, so far people asked in threads where we discuss current chapters. smile.gif
Ah! Got it! Thank you! ^^

... What, no questions? Come on, people! Surely you're more confused than that!!! (Actually, a lack of questions is more of a *good* thing, isn't it?) No FMA questions, then? Pity... Anyone want to tell me the deeper meaning behind Wuthering Heights? laugh.gif Stupid English class... it's a good book, but seriously... it's really just one long, bad soap-opera...
nick fury
I didn't understand before why if they knew how to make the philosopher stone why dante still needed al. I thought they had created one already but I guess they didn't. When al goes to see Tucker in episode Human Transmutation Tucker tells Al that ed invents the 7 point array on the spot in Lab 5. So up until that point dante had no clue how to make the real philosopher stone. I guess it wasn't a plot hole. I don't think tucker let them know that ed created the array that could make the stone so thats why they still needed Ed or Scar to do it for them.
@ nick fury - the main reason Dante wanted Al was b/c [spoiler]he became the philosopher's stone[/spoiler] - that, and if Al was held captive, Ed would be willing to cooperate... And Dante already knew that Ed could do the seven point array - she's in charge of the homunculi, right? Ed came up w/ the array in the homunculi's presence... But no, Dante didn't really need Ed once Al [spoiler]became the stone[/spoiler] They only needed Ed or Scar in the first place b/c they (the homunculi *and* Dante) didn't know how to use alchemy. Sorry if you hadn't really asked a question, but since this is the "unanswered questions" thread, I figured I may as well pretend. ^^
Tombow
QUOTE(GateKeeper @ Feb 14 2007, 05:21 AM) [snapback]504979[/snapback]
I didn't see a dedicated muisc thread, here, so, in Episode 51 "Laws and Promises", what is the music that plays when Al [spoiler]use's the philosopher's stone, gets up, goes over to Ed, and brings him back to life?[/spoiler] It's a very awe-inspiring tune.

@GateKeeper - I'm moving your post to Song Hunting thread in FMA music forum. smile.gif

ETA: Post moved. Hope our FMA music expert on our board can help you there!! biggrin.gif
Nepharski
@The New FullMetal Alchemist - Actually, Dante was quite the accomplished alchemist (she taught Izumi, remember?) as she demonstrates quite a few times in the series. What I believe you're after is that the Philosopher's Stone was beyond her reach in terms of skill, or that it was simply easier to play humans against each other to create the stone for her.
Astria
On the subject....

I think Dante couldn't risk creating the Stone herself (though she had the knowledge to do so) because her body was deteriorating so rapidly that performing the transmutation, even if successful might kill her, as it almost did Hoenheim the first time round.
@ Nephraski - yes, you're right - she did teach Izumi - but what I think is that she taught Izumi through word of mouth, rather than through actual demonstrations of skill - I think she's like the homunculus, in the sense that she is quite knowledgeable (sp? You know what, I don't care) about alchemy, but does not have the physical capacity to actually do it. Just a theory. smile.gif

But Astria's idea is just as likely - we have no proof during the series as to whether or not Dante could actually perform alchemy, so to each his own theory!
Tombow
^^ But, she did perform Alchemy, I think... like when she made (warning.. huge Spoiler!!!) [spoiler]that transmutation circle, and switched her body from the old lady to Lyra..[/spoiler] unsure.gif
blink.gif Oooh, dern, that's right! laugh.gif

Looks like Astria's more along the right track!!!

Oh, and Tombow, I know you moved GateKeeper's post to the music thread, but I found their answer, so I'll put it here and in the music thread! laugh.gif

@ GateKeeper - the song you're looking for is on the second OST - it's the second and third track. The first version is mostly just an oboe solo, but the second version, track three, is the full-orchestra version that you hear in episode 51 ("Death") and in episode 12 ("The Other Brothers Elric pt. 2").

The first version is called "Love" or "Tenderness" (depending upon the translation) and the second version, which you're probably thinking of, is called "Sin" - I almost want to say that there's a third version, more soft like the one in the last episode, but then again, not all of the songs that you hear in the series are actually in the sound-tracks... But tracks 2 and 3 on the second OST are what you're looking for. smile.gif
Nepharski
@The New FullMetal Alchemist - Watch episodes 45, 46, and 49. She does a fair bit of alchemy there.
Kenji
Dante did do alchemy...

[spoiler]Remember when Ed throw the spear towards her?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]When she sent Hoho and Ed to the door, she performed alchemy too[/spoiler]
Astria
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Feb 14 2007, 10:11 PM) [snapback]505129[/snapback]
we have no proof during the series as to whether or not Dante could actually perform alchemy, so to each his own theory!

We...have plenty of proof that she not only knows alchemy but is possibly exceptionally good at it.[spoiler]She fights Hohenheim using alchemy, he doesn't seem to count her an equal, but Dante gives almost as good as she got. Remember that she is also the one who, apparently, saved Hohenheim by using the original Stone to transfer his soul into the body of another man unfortunate enough to get too close. Plus, she opened the Gate by creating an array and...using Rose's baby. [/spoiler] I didn't mean to suggest that she couldn't do alchemy, just that she might be physically prevented from using it to create the Stone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.