Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fma Anime Episode Content Q & A: Place To Post Unanswered Questions From Any Episode
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
IttyBittyPretty
QUOTE(Edamame @ Aug 24 2006, 11:15 AM) [snapback]436602[/snapback]

QUOTE(EriksShadow @ Aug 24 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]436572[/snapback]

Episodes 46-47 (no spoilers past that please)
So.. Izumi is telling Ed about how old his father really is... and they start talking about BC.. and Izumi mentions that it is the system of time measurement used by an ancient civilization and it's now out-of-date religion.. When my friend and I watched this last night.. we were imediatly shocked at the realization that FMA is set very much in the future.. (and of course just made it that much more interesting.. ((if that's possible!!)) ) Do they eventually give an exact time frame as to how far, exactly?

ph34r.gif

I always believed that the Hagaren world was modeled after early twentieth century Europe. The primary events in the series take place around 1912-1914. I believe that the Hagaren world's time-frame is not like ours though. Their civilisation has some remarkable technological advancements (like auto-mail) that seem out of place and therefore set it apart from our world. If you do not already know, Edward's father is roughly four hundred years old. Thus, I am asuming that the first creation of the Philosopher's stone took place more than four hundred years before the Elric brothers began their journey. I am guessing that Dante and Hoenheim created the first Philosopher's stone in the early 1500s when the plague hit their country.(During this period religion was dying out to be replaced by alchemy) I am not positive, but when Izumi refers to BC and how it was used by an ancient civilisation I believe that she is referring to the dating system that was used by the people of Xerxes. Maybe the "old religion" was a referance to the worship of Ishavara.
~I really need to see the series again

In that episode, Izumi gives Ed an old love letter from Hohenheim to Dante and says it was dated "using the birth of the Christ, an ancient religion which hasn't been practiced for centuries." It's obvious she is referring to Christianity.
Later on, when Dante takes Rose to an old church, she says the church "belonged to the old relgion". So one inference is Christianity died out in the alchemic world - the reverse of our world. Where, btw, the Christian church saw alchemy as akin to witchcraft. There are parallels to our world in Dante's recalling of the day she and Hohenheim first created a Philosopher's Stone - the plague and the witch hunts. Perhaps the latter were so cruel they turned the people of that world against Christianity.
Anyway, it's some interesting philosophic questions to chew on.
envy200
in the scene where mustang tells the military council about his suspicions on juliet dougless something obviously happens because when mustang walks out hawkeye looks at him the proceeds to wipe his face my question is there was no blood on mustangs face so what happened in that scene?
Matt Perry
sweating possibly?

I can't recall this off by memory.. But, well.. I'd have to see the episode again, probably sweat.
Triple_Soul_Alchemist
Well, the Furher had the window open, the sun beaming right in his (Roy's) face, so like Matt Perry said, it was more than likely sweat.
Kivrin
He was just grilled by a military panel and went up against the Fuhrer himself! Definitely reasons to sweat!
Tombow
@envy200 - I agree with everyone. Yeah, that's more likely sweat. smile.gif

QUOTE(IttyBittyPretty @ Aug 28 2006, 09:46 PM) [snapback]438280[/snapback]
...In that episode, Izumi gives Ed an old love letter from Hohenheim to Dante and says it was dated "using the birth of the Christ, an ancient religion which hasn't been practiced for centuries." It's obvious she is referring to Christianity.
Later on, when Dante takes Rose to an old church, she says the church "belonged to the old relgion". So one inference is Christianity died out in the alchemic world - the reverse of our world. Where, btw, the Christian church saw alchemy as akin to witchcraft. There are parallels to our world in Dante's recalling of the day she and Hohenheim first created a Philosopher's Stone - the plague and the witch hunts. Perhaps the latter were so cruel they turned the people of that world against Christianity.
Anyway, it's some interesting philosophic questions to chew on.
Yeah, it's certainly interesting to think what happened, (and why,) to the Christianity in the Hagaren world!! smile.gif

(ETA: Thank you, EKE-sama for merging!! happy.gif )
slayeralchemist
See I just have one question about the 1st episode, and that is when Ed and Al are training, 1st time we ever see them training, um... there Ed kicks Al and he falls into the water, now my question is this?
How come nothing happened to Al? I thought he wasn't supposed to get in the water because his blood seal would wash off, and therefore he would die. Correct me if I'm wrong biggrin.gif

Tombow
QUOTE(slayeralchemist @ Sep 8 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]443296[/snapback]
See I just have one question about the 1st episode, and that is when Ed and Al are training, 1st time we ever see them training, um... there Ed kicks Al and he falls into the water, now my question is this?
How come nothing happened to Al? I thought he wasn't supposed to get in the water because his blood seal would wash off, and therefore he would die. Correct me if I'm wrong biggrin.gif
@slayeralchemist - Welcome to the board!! biggrin.gif

Others might tell you that the water was only knee deep, or some other stuff to explain this.
My thinking is... it's a plain plothole...a boo boo, that by the time they made up that "Al can't get wet" thingy, they've completely forgotton that "Ed throws Al into the river" scene. rolleyes.gif
This is't the only plothole they made, so I wouldn't be surprized if it was just a plain mistake. tongue.gif

(You can read more about plotholes on FMA anime, on our Continuity arguement thread. biggrin.gif)

ETA: I like your sig!! biggrin.gif

slayeralchemist
QUOTE(Tombow @ Sep 7 2006, 10:42 PM) [snapback]443309[/snapback]

@slayeralchemist - Welcome to the board!! biggrin.gif

Others might tell you that the water was only knee deep, or some other stuff to explain this.
My thinking is... it's a plain plothole...a boo boo, that by the time they made up that "Al can't get wet" thingy, they've completely forgotton that "Ed throws Al into the river" scene. rolleyes.gif
This is't the only plothole they made, so I wouldn't be surprized if it was just a plain mistake. tongue.gif

(You can read more about plotholes on FMA anime, on our Continuity arguement thread. biggrin.gif)

ETA: I like your sig!! biggrin.gif

Oh I see, thanks a lot man! (hopefully I got your gender right since I didn't see it and I'm too lazy to go back)
For the warm welcoming, the answer, the advice and everything else.
Tombow
@slayeralchemist - You're quite welcome!! biggrin.gif

Anyone have any questions on specific FMA episode contents, please post here and ask us!! biggrin.gif

000_neji
I don't remember well the last few episodes of FMA...by the way,what episode is the time when Fuhrer killed Martel,letting Al know he was the Fuhrer? And what happened to al? Did he escape??
sweety_pie
QUOTE(000_neji @ Sep 18 2006, 04:38 AM) [snapback]447830[/snapback]

I don't remember well the last few episodes of FMA...by the way,what episode is the time when Fuhrer killed Martel,letting Al know he was the Fuhrer? And what happened to al? Did he escape??

I think that was episode 40.
Yeah, I am pretty sure he escaped, but it ha been a while since I watched it, I do not remember how he escaped.
Tombow
QUOTE(000_neji @ Sep 18 2006, 04:38 AM) [snapback]447830[/snapback]
@000_neji - Yap, as sweety_pie has posted, it's episode 40. And, then yeah, I thought Al might be in danger, too. But, Fuhrer didn't do anything to Al. He only killed Martel inside Al, then let Al go free, like that's the most normal thing to do. mellow.gif Anyway, good for Al!! tongue.gif
BlackHayate315
What episode shows him eating a human? I'm making a music video and I need the clip for a paticular lyric.

Thank you!
Tombow
QUOTE(BlackHayate315 @ Sep 21 2006, 07:13 PM) [snapback]449323[/snapback]
What episode shows him eating a human?
@BlackHayate315 - Gluttony, right??
You know, come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any actual scene of Gluttony chomping on human.(Might be too violent to air?? Don't know. tongue.gif)

Maybe someone can remember it tho. Let's see if anyone does. biggrin.gif
sweety_pie
What episode shows him eating a human?
I do not think it ever actually shows Gluttony eating someone. He chomps Cornello in episode 2. And he starts to chomp Al in episode 35, I think.In 35 he chews on a table though.If you want a scene of him chomping something.
Popogeejo
There may eb a scene in one of the first Ep's of him munching on Cornellos arm when Cray walks in...
Tombow
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Sep 22 2006, 10:54 AM) [snapback]449619[/snapback]
There may eb a scene in one of the first Ep's of him munching on Cornellos arm when Cray walks in...
@Popo or anyone (if you can) - Could you post a screenshot of this??? Please!! biggrin.gif
Kivrin
QUOTE(Tombow @ Sep 27 2006, 03:18 AM) [snapback]451949[/snapback]

QUOTE(popogeejo @ Sep 22 2006, 10:54 AM) [snapback]449619[/snapback]
@Popo or anyone (if you can) - Could you post a screenshot of this??? Please!! biggrin.gif

I could be wrong, but I think that was a scene that was only in the manga. And what Gluttony is munching on is actually part of the lion-chimaera that Cornello sicced on Ed. It's on p. 94 of VizMedia's FMA Volume 1, Chapter 2. This is from a scanlation of the Japanese version:

[attachmentid=7223]
Tombow
^^ Kivrin - Oh, Thanks for posting that info!! biggrin.gif
Razzy
I have a question that's REALLY starting to annoy me...... but I don't think anyone would know the answer to it...

What happened to Den? Why does he have automail?????
'Cause I have no clue blink.gif ....
Reta McClain
I think the only one who knows is Arakawa-sensei... There's never have been mentioned how Den got her auto-mail... Or I just don't know it. dry.gif

(And because I know you'll ask me why I used 'her' referring to Den... In a book Art of the Fullmetal Alchemist there's page where Arakawa-sensei has drawn all girls/women in the manga before Vol. 8. Den is in that picture so Den is a girl.)
Tombow
QUOTE(Steel Heart Alchemist @ Oct 4 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]454947[/snapback]
I have a question that's REALLY starting to annoy me...... but I don't think anyone would know the answer to it...

What happened to Den? Why does he have automail?????
'Cause I have no clue blink.gif ....
I could be wrong, but there might have been some entry in some guiden or somewhere, that said Den saved Winry or someone when she was a puppy, and lost her leg during that... Someone else might have more accurate info on this... or, if I remember better, I will post it. biggrin.gif
Razzy
oh, so there is an explanation .... i thought it was just one of those questions that know one knew the answer to.....
i would really like to know the whole story if you can find it, Tombow, but if you can't, that's okay biggrin.gif
VincentProxy
How does Al's seal not wash off near the end of episode 3, but he worries about it in the movie? o.o!
Popogeejo
QUOTE(VincentProxy @ Oct 7 2006, 06:09 AM) [snapback]456048[/snapback]

How does Al's seal not wash off near the end of episode 3, but he worries about it in the movie? o.o!

The water is to shallow to reach his seal. The water is only about a foot deep.

Wasn't there a moment when he and Ed are back on Izumis training Island and Al goes into the Ocean to catch fishies?
VincentProxy
yea, and in episode 3 he gets like dunked in, hes completely under water for a couple seconds lol.
Tombow
QUOTE(VincentProxy @ Oct 7 2006, 01:09 AM) [snapback]456048[/snapback]
Gahaha, I answered this one just last page... it's a very popular topic!! biggrin.gif

Following question was posted on post #306, page 21:
How come nothing happened to Al? I thought he wasn't supposed to get in the water because his blood seal would wash off, and therefore he would die. Correct me if I'm wrong

My reply on post #307, page 21:
QUOTE(Tombow @ Sep 8 2006, 01:42 AM) [snapback]443309[/snapback]
This is't the only plothole they made, so I wouldn't be surprized if it was just a plain mistake.
BTW:
xBeowulf
I have a couple questions:

1) In the movie, how was Ed able to activate the transmutation circle even though he was on the other side of the gate?

2) When envy went through the gate, why did he turn into a dragon/snake thing?

3) Why cant Al do alchemy without a circle, hes been in the gate but still cant do it.

4) How did frank archer survive when scar activated the grand arcanum? I thought everyone in it would be apart of the stone but he still lived sad.gif

5) Who created gluttony?

6) Whos the father of Roze's baby?

sweety_pie
1)He used his own blood, so I geuss blood helps.

3)He lost his memory.

5)The anime never tells, but I think Hohenhiem does.

6)The anime does not tell either.But she was raped, (it is rumored) Archer is the father.

(I do not know the answer too 2, and 4.)
Dozzer18
hello everyone im a noob here but i have some question i was hoping someond can help me with?

ok so i finally finished the series and the movie and im left a lil lost =(
spoilers........

1) what happen to dante in the last episode of the series?(did Gluttony eat her?)

2) in the movie why was Gluttony turned into a monster? ( was it from the stones?)

3) does anybody know the orgins to Gluttony,pride and greed? why or whom they were based off of to become Homucli? ?

4)pride(all seeing eye) had a family and could age? why was that again?

5)when wrath sacrificed himself at the end with Gluttony for al, can someone explain that part to me i thought a piece of the orginal human was needed in order to kill a Homucli?

6)from the movie why was envy a dragon and what was he used for overall? to open the portal?

7)what happen with tucker?

8)how is the manga compared to the anime?

i feel like i have some of my question figured out but im not 100% sure? sorry for all the Q i hopesomeone can help
thAnks

sweety_pie
1) I think Gluttony chomped her.

3)Gluttony, was originally supposed to be a gate, so he has a false gate leading too nowhere, in his stomache.

5)Wrath was created with the human that died, so opening the gate from both sides also helped in his death.

6)When Envy went into the gate he turned into a dragon, and I geuss he could not change back when he got too the other side.

8)The anime is pretty much the same as the manga up too session two, then it changes.

Dozzer18
QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Oct 9 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]457670[/snapback]

1) I think Gluttony chomped her.

3)Gluttony, was originally supposed to be a gate, so he has a false gate leading too nowhere, in his stomache.

5)Wrath was created with the human that died, so opening the gate from both sides also helped in his death.

6)When Envy went into the gate he turned into a dragon, and I geuss he could not change back when he got too the other side.

8)The anime is pretty much the same as the manga up too session two, then it changes.

thank you for the help it does clear up alot of my Q =)
xBeowulf
I have a question about episode 3. At the end when Ed is fighting Al. Ed kicks al into the river. Why didnt his bloodseal wash off?
sweety_pie
I do not think Al went all the way into the water. He has the blood seal up high, close to his helmet so it would not wash away unless he was all the way into the water.

You are welcome Dozzer.
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
@ Dozzer18 - sweety_pie did a good job of explaining, but I'll elaborate if you'd like, plus answer the other questions...

1) Yeah, he did eat her - even the director admitted it in an interview! ^^
2) Kind of... Remember how Dante altered his structure so that the only thing he thought of was his need to eat? Well, for the two years between the end of the series and the movie, it means that all Gluttony did was eat - and lord knows what! That's why he's so huge - he had a lot of fuel, and essentially became in-human when Dante took away his ability to feel anything but hunger, one of the most primal of human instincts...
3) in the manga Gluttony was made to be a gate of sorts, but as far as the anime goes, gluttony and pride have no real origin (you learn about "pride" in the manga, though, even though he's called "wrath"); as for greed, it can be assumed he was one of Dante's creations (but that could be wrong)
4) Yes, he could age, and b/c of that Dante called him her "masterpiece" (same w/ the manga); as for the family, he's married, but Salim (?) his son, is adopted - not biological (at least that's how it is in the manga, I'm assuming the same for the anime)
5) they were used as materials for the gate to open - Al explained that a little, too - he said that the gate is open when a homunculus is created, so, when they die or are used in a transmutation, it opens again - he used wrath and gluttony as the "sacrifices" to the gate, so the gate, in effect, "killed" them by accepting them as an offering...
6) He randomly decided to be a dragon while inside the gate before crossing over - I guess he figured it would be a more powerful body to carry him through - but since you can't use alchemy on the other side of the gate, and his transformations were essentially alchemy, he couldn't change back... which happened to tie in neatly w/ the Thule's search for the "Great Dragon" (real legend...)
7) He's probably still in the basement of that factory w/ his Nina "doll"... poor crazy old chimera-man...
8) the manga is longer-running (much longer!) and, while being more vague in some areas as far as story line (ie sections turned into the anime) it goes more in-depth with some things, especially relationships! I like them both equally for seperate reasons, but I still view the anime as the "true" FMA (just b/c it was so cool!) But they're both unique and different, and I'd highly recommend reading the manga via the viewer that you can find via this website...

Hope that answered everything and then some! ^^
elflord9d
Very informative. But next time using the spoiler option would be better. happy.gif
Sorry! Since the people above me didn't, I figured it would be safe to not...
Popogeejo
QUOTE(xBeowulf @ Oct 8 2006, 09:48 PM) [snapback]456947[/snapback]

1) In the movie, how was Ed able to activate the transmutation circle even though he was on the other side of the gate?

3) Why cant Al do alchemy without a circle, hes been in the gate but still cant do it.

4) How did frank archer survive when scar activated the grand arcanum? I thought everyone in it would be apart of the stone but he still lived sad.gif

5) Who created gluttony?

2) Envy turned himself into the Dragon so he could navigate the way out the gate. He was trapped in his form when he entered "our world"

4) He was with Ed.

6) one of the soilders who raped her.
spoiler warning!

5) Who created gluttony?

2) Envy turned himself into the Dragon so he could navigate the way out the gate. He was trapped in his form when he entered "our world"

4) He was with Ed.

6) one of the soilders who raped her.

1) I'm thinking it has something to do w/ Ed's blood - remember how he wiped the cut on his cheek and it smeared onto his glove? Here's my theory - he was born on the other side of the gate, and so his body - and blood - are capable of alchemy since his surroundings are as well - it's like his blood was some kind of min-gate... literally, like w/ what Hoenheim was saying "there's a small part of the gate in each of us" - I know he was talking about a person's soul, but... It's sort of hard for me to explain, I'm sure I can do a better job, but... Well, let's just keep it at this: If Ed's blood on his gloves wasn't important, I doubt they would've paid so much attention to it... unless it was just for dramatic effect, but considering how much content they had to cut from the original screen play, I kind of doubt it (it was originally going to be about 4 hours long... I still would've seen it!)

3) Both when he was armor and when he was a human on the alchemic side of the gate, he couldn't remember passing through it - it was like he had no knowledge of it - therefore, he couldn't manipulate what that knowledge brings - using alchemy w/out circles! That being said, in the manga [spoiler]he does remember the gate - it happened when Marta's blood splattered on his blood seal. After that, he was able to use alchemy w/out a circle[/spoiler] So, rememberance is key - he couldn't remember, so he couldn't do what Ed does (who could remember!)

4) Um, I don't think he was w/ Ed... he was truly caught up in it... I don't think there's any *real* explanation for it, other than that he's one lucky son of a... ahem... yeah... that, and how would the ending be where it was?! I mean, come on! That being said, it was very nasty, and I hated to see him live... I guess he got "lucky" and was partially in the circle... *shrugs* just think of him as some sort of demonic houdini...

5) We have no idea who created Gluttony, unfortunately... but we do know that Dante cared for him from the beginning just like the others...

And Popogeejo got the rest! ^^ Hope that helped! [/b][b]
Idiolatry
I saw this was barely touched on in another post but not discussed...Sorry for any spoilers if there's any...

In Ep 2 of FMA when Ed and Al are in Liore and dethrone Cornello...Envy takes the form of Cornello toward the end of the ep...

There's dead birds lying about in Liore and the people look to Cornello ( Who is Envy ) and Envy brings the birds "Back to life" ( They very shortly explode in the air )

My points...

One -- Homunculii *Can't* ( I say "Can't" loosely since Wrath and Greed can do alchemy to an extent on their own bodies ) do alchemy...So how did Envy bring the birds back ?

Two -- Red stone or not I thought the wearer had to have some alchemic power...

Three -- Is this along the lines of human transmutation ? Bringing an animal back to life...Does that create animal homunculii ?

Four -- Assuming Envy did do alchemy ( For the sake of argument )...Why did the birds explode ?
@ Idiolatry -

My points...

One -- Homunculii *Can't* ( I say "Can't" loosely since Wrath and Greed can do alchemy to an extent on their own bodies ) do alchemy...So how did Envy bring the birds back ?

Two -- Red stone or not I thought the wearer had to have some alchemic power...

Three -- Is this along the lines of human transmutation ? Bringing an animal back to life...Does that create animal homunculii ?

Four -- Assuming Envy did do alchemy ( For the sake of argument )...Why did the birds explode ?

your envy question is certainly a good one! I'm not sure what loophole is in place, to be honest, but I think it has something to do w/ the fact that [spoiler]homunculi have red stones within them, and since they were created through alchemy, they can temporarily transfer that power into something else[/spoiler] like in episode 35, Reunion of the Fallen: [spoiler]Lust "revitalizes" (sp?) the guy's ring (can't remember his name off the top of my head), even though she can't technically use alchemy. So, once again, the theory that they can "shift" the power of the stones w/in them[/spoiler] At least, that's my theory. smile.gif

As far as why the birds exploded, keeping w/ this theory (or even the one where Envy can use alchemy), I think it's b/c that transfer of power was a temporary one/ he's a sucky alchemist. laugh.gif And no, if we continue to go w/ those theories, it wasn't *really* biological transmutation... well, I guess technically it was, since the birds were once alive, but I guess you could look at it in the light of animating something - like Cornello making the statues move - just b/c they moved for a little while doensn't mean that they were "brought to life" - they only moved so long as Cornello controlled them to do so - basically just re-arranging their shape so that they "moved"... yeah...

As far as the red stones and alchemy usage, look to episode 12, The Other Brothers Elric Part 2 - [spoiler]Mugear (and I know that this time I have the spelling right!) laugh.gif actually tells Ed that his contraption allows him to utilize the power of the red stones through a kind of quikie alchemy - you know, um... Hmm... Well, basically, he doesn't have to know alchemy - the machine can use the stones' powers as catalysts... technically, I think Mugear had to know some alchemy to make it, but it's entirely possible he designed part of it and had someone else alchemically-savvy to build it for him[/spoiler] ... so, the point of all that was that no, you really don't necessarily have to be a full-fledged alchemist in order to use it - maybe if you wanted to use it well, you would have to be, but otherwise the stones are powerful enough that even knowing the rudiments of alchemy (ie, equivalent exchange) can let you use them to some degree, albeit a very raw and "messy" one... smile.gif

Hope that helped! If not, please let me know! happy.gif
GateKeeper
Random question, but what is that classical song played a lot through Episode 51, for instance, when you see Envy meet Ed at the Gate and when Envy flys through the gate?

Also, was Dante trying to send Eny throught the Gate in Episode 51, or did he just inevitably jump with all towards it? What were the Gate creatures (look like little babies) trying to do to Envy while it was in there? I'm surprised he seemed to be able to navigate it and wonder if it was just his incredibly strong will that allowed him to break away from the creatures...
Tombow
@GateKeeper - I'm sure the FMA anime expert will be here later and help answer your questions..
Meantime, would you like to check out our FMA music forum where all FMA music info/discussion threads are posted, including Song hunting thread where you can ask about info on songs/music in FMA anime/movie. biggrin.gif
GateKeeper
Thanks. My question was answered, but is Frederic Chopin's 12 Etudes Op.10: No. 3 E-dur: Lento that plays in Episode 51 a few times on the soundtrack?
QUOTE(GateKeeper @ Nov 9 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]471768[/snapback]
Thanks. My question was answered, but is Frederic Chopin's 12 Etudes Op.10: No. 3 E-dur: Lento that plays in Episode 51 a few times on the soundtrack?

Yes, it is! smile.gif (the third one, that is!) I was so happy when I found that out! In fact, there are two versions on the disc - the first is just a piano solo, and the second is an orchestrated piece (mostly violins and other strings, along with a beatiful oboe part! *sighs* sorry, I'm a band nerd! smile.gif )

If you'd like, I could give you the track numbers! happy.gif

Also, was Dante trying to send Eny throught the Gate in Episode 51, or did he just inevitably jump with all towards it? What were the Gate creatures (look like little babies) trying to do to Envy while it was in there? I'm surprised he seemed to be able to navigate it and wonder if it was just his incredibly strong will that allowed him to break away from the creatures...

No, Dante wasn't trying to send him on purpose - It's been a while since I've seen the episode, so otherwise I'd give you a blow-by-blow synopsis of what happened, but I'm afraid that I'd mess it up, so I'll play it safe... [spoiler]basically, when Al tries to bring Ed back, Envy is close enough to the alchemy being played out that he kind of gets "sucked in" when the Gate appears, kind of like what happened in the previous episode when Dante summoned the gate to teach Wrath a lesson... Anyway! So, after a quick talk, Envy figures out that Hoenheim is indeed alive on the other side, and decides to jump on in and find him! The "babies" were the "beings" inside the gate - the same ones that took Ed's limbs... in a way, you could think of them as unborn humans - waiting for a soul, or waiting to be summoned, whatever (mind you, that's only a theory). It is a bit surprising that Envy could get through so easily, but consider this: he wasn't their target - Al was. Envy forced the gate open, and they gladly accepted him - but, when he turned into the dragon, he was no longer a form they recognized/wanted - by that point he was powerful enough of a being that he could travel the rest of the way through "to the other side" - but as far as what the beings inside the gate were doing (back to the theory), they were trying to take Envy's body from him - kind of what Wrath did with Ed's limbs...[/spoiler]

So yeah, partly strong will that got him out, but mostly it was b/c they just didn't know what to do with him! laugh.gif When Ed [spoiler]got back out of the gate the first time (after being sent to the other side where his dad was)[/spoiler], though, *that* was pure determination!

Hope that helped! If not, let me know! smile.gif
GateKeeper
That's what I figured the "creatures" in the gate were. Since energy can never be destroyed (only transfered), it's been my hypothesis that the beings are simply souls waiting to connect to babies/fetuses, and since they can never be destroyed people that die simply wait in the gate until they are "born" again into either world when that times comes. Just my theory, but it's the only way I could explain it to myself.

Yeah, sure, you can give me the track number. I'd love to hear both the piano and instrumental (also a band geek, lol).
QUOTE(GateKeeper @ Nov 9 2006, 09:44 PM) [snapback]471875[/snapback]
That's what I figured the "creatures" in the gate were. Since energy can never be destroyed (only transfered), it's been my hypothesis that the beings are simply souls waiting to connect to babies/fetuses, and since they can never be destroyed people that die simply wait in the gate until they are "born" again into either world when that times comes. Just my theory, but it's the only way I could explain it to myself.

Yeah, sure, you can give me the track number. I'd love to hear both the piano and instrumental (also a band geek, lol).

Yaaay! laugh.gif Glad that all made sense to you, then! smile.gif More or less my theory, too! happy.gif

Ok, track numbers... (btw, you should go onto the thread I started for band geeks/nerds! It's in the general music section! We'd love to see you there!)

"Song of Parting - Piano Version" ~ Track No. 22, FMA OST 3
"Song of Parting" ~ Track No. 26, FMA OST 3
GameMusic
Are these plot holes or am I missing something? It seems like the writing got a little sloppy (rushed?) towards the end of the series. (Note there are movie questions/spoilers in here too.) Don't get me wrong though, overall the series is EXCELLENT. That's why I'm asking these.

[spoiler]1. Why did Dante order Pride not to attack Lior, even though she wanted Scar to make the stone? Lust then questions her on this and she just dismisses it as nothing.

2. How did Dante find Lust? It's shown that she collects homunculi made by others, but only those that she knows about.

3. Did Al kill Envy? That's what it looked like to me, when he tossed those transmutation circles around. So why did Envy keep his body when he went through the gate? It seemed he was killed at met Ed at the gate, not just happened to be next to it, because they appear together and talk. Why did he turn into a dragon and how did he and his body get to Earth?

4. Envy shows his true face as a son of Hohenheim, but Dante said that she hadn't encountered Hohenheim in centuries. So has Hohenheim been in that body for centuries, or did his previous body have a strong likeness, or was Envy just using a fake face to shock Ed? Is Envy's normal face his real face?

5. Sorta related to that, Dante says that her husbands noticed her slowly aging body. Does she mean the wounds that both she and Hohenheim got, or that their bodies age slower than normal humans (which would explain Envy looking like Hohenheim)?

6. Why does Ed lose his limbs when bringing Al out of the gate? Are they the price for opening it, an equivalent exchange of sorts since regaining Al means returning what Al gave him? If he was able to put Al into their world, and pull himself into their world after the zeppelin crashed on him, why wasn't he able to follow Al into their world? Why did he go to Earth?

7. Who made Gluttony? I've been told that he was an experiment in the manga that was supposed to eat people or red stones to produce a philosopher's stone, and that seemed to be implied because Dante needed him to make the stone. Manga reference that isn't explained in the anime?

8. Why is Ed able to use auto-mail made by Hohenheim on Earth? Were his automail attachments in the gate? How did he get them back, assuming Hohenheim doesn't know automail surgery?

9. Why can't Dante make a stone herself? Is it because creating a stone is so difficult it kills the alchemist? So would Ed have been killed at lab 5 if he had done so? Why did the homunculi tell him they wanted him to make them human then? Why does Dante seem to have non-alchemic powers like telekinesis (stopping the spear) and mind-controlling Rose?

10. Wrath seemed to be avoiding Izumi, but then he wanted to die to be reuinited with her, which makes no sense. Or by that time was he back on speaking terms with her? The movie never made that clear. And why does Wrath age? He's the right age on the island, and I've heard it said that he's older in the movie (though I didn't notice).

11. What was that goo covering Eckart, the soldiers, and the rockets as they traveled through the gate? It lessened the impact to me because it looked IMO quite silly and made Eckart less menacing and more farcical as a villain. And why are the dead soldiers in armor able to move when sent through the portal into Lior?

12. Was Hohenheim in Resembool to hide out away from the homunculi? Envy if not Dante likely would have been hunting him. So my guess is that Dante found out about Sloth because of the letters. Did he really leave just so his kids wouldn't see his wounds? That's a bit hard to believe, and would be very cruel towards Tricia and the kids.

13. Why does the presence of Envy make alchemy work on Earth?[/spoiler]
The random alchemist
QUOTE(GameMusic @ Nov 18 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]475277[/snapback]
Are these plot holes or am I missing something? It seems like the writing got a little sloppy (rushed?) towards the end of the series. (Note there are movie questions/spoilers in here too.) Don't get me wrong though, overall the series is EXCELLENT. That's why I'm asking these.

I'll see if I can help you though these are just my own theories

[spoiler]1. that confusses me do this day .__. sorry I can't help

2.I think Envy and/or Gluttony must have check if someone made the stone in Ishbal and found her. Remember Gluttony has a good sense of smell... he probably found her in Scar's brother's abandon home.

3. I don't think he got killed. and he ask the gate to bring him to earth... why he turned into a dragon is unknown. maybe he wanted to use that form to kill Hohenhein

4. My theory on this is Hohenhein search for bodies to take over that look like his former one. Because Envy momentarily takes that form again within the gate so I believe it is his true form in the anime.

5. I don't understand this one.

6. I think this was all equivelant exchange. even being forced away from his brother.

7. Gluttony was created by Dante. I'm almost 100% certain of that. And she does imply it was to create red stones/possible Philosopher's stone. Also in the movie his poors leak red water. it is possible in his normal form he was also able to do this. So it would work like this: Eat enough people to produce red water then leak it from pours, when it hits oxygen it become harden into red stones for everyone smile.gif

8. Hohenhein saw inside the gate. since that gives all sorts of knowledge you might assume he learn it from that. Also he used to be friends with the Rockbells which made Automail so he might have learnt it from them ^^;

9. Dante is too scared to die. Probably. They probably meant they were going to take it to Dante to become human. Maybe she learned how do that with alchemy, sorta like when she kill off Gluttony's brain.

10. I think that was just the effect of think about her. Probably when she died he finally realize he loved her. I think homunculi age quicker than humans til they reach maturity when they stop aging. Because on the island he look to be 8 and in the movie, that take place 2 years later, He looks 13.

11. probably gate stuff. It might have animated their bodies. sorta like when the homunculus get created.

12. I think he was hiding there. met Tricia. got married. started to rot and left. but that's my theory.

13. because he/hohenhein are somehow connected to Amestrie and when they place him he made a living symbol of the ouroborus.[/spoiler]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.