Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fma Anime Episode Content Q & A: Place To Post Unanswered Questions From Any Episode
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
blueices
Well I'll start the ball rolling with my thoughts on

episode 24 Title: Affixing Memories

(which seemed anti-climatic/filler-ish)

My main question when it was over was: Why the hell did Ed just let scar go off on that boat???? Didn't he swear vengeance for what happened to Nina???

I've already seen the series, so I get why Scar was sort of let off the hook for the meantime, but it didn't seem resolved all to well.

The other weird thing about the episode was the question Ed was afraid to ask: after all the drama of the previous episode, its unfortunate that it ended up being rather anti-climatic. Perhaps it would have felt stronger to the viewers if he got to ask it in Rizenbul

I know most unanswered questions revolve around the ending itself, but as to the other episodes
Add more questions, supply theories, I'm curious as to what else in the show left you guys looking like ?_?
Fresh_Coffee
I'm curious about Envy. Near the end of the show Edward kept telling Envy to show his true face and Envy kept on changing until he finally changed into his real face. If that was his real face was the normal face of Envy another person? Or was the face he changed to was his previous face or something? I'm confused about that!
ἀρχή
Fresh Coffee: I think the 'normal' face of envy was a different person. It's because envy didn't really like his normal face. Probably reminded him of his father.

blueices: You make me want to re-watch that episode to see exactly what you mean. My only thoughts right now would be that there was an uneasy peace between Scar and Ed. I think Ed probably wanted to forgive Scar, but maybe couldn't fully see that. that's the overall feeling I got from their relationship, but I'd have to watch 24 again to see if that fits with that episode or not.

I can't think of any questions to add here, but I probably will soon as I re-watch the series.
Sycia
If Scar was going off to kill more state alchemists, yes, Ed would DEFINITELY stop him. But Ed knew his people were being hunted down, and they needed Scar for protection. Al said it then, "They need him", so yeah, Ed just let him off that time 'round unwillingly.
vegita625
QUOTE(arche @ Dec 19 2004, 07:06 PM)
Fresh Coffee: I think the 'normal' face of envy was a different person. It's because envy didn't really like his normal face. Probably reminded him of his father.

I'm pretty sure that was not his real face. Envy does say early on that he can't remember his real face, but he could be lying, but it doesn't matter, because I have other evidence that it likely was not his real face.

Think about it, a human body itself can not live over 100 years (besides extraordinary cases of still less than 110 years, obviously not counting humonculus such as Envy), Greed said something about being sealed 130 years or something, and Envy was at least present when he was sealed. This makes Envy at least 130 years old, probably much older. If he was Honenheim's son, he must have been born as a human BEFORE Honenheim had his present body. Therefore, Envy's father did not look like he does now, therefore Envy would not look like present Honenheim.

My assumption would be that Envy took on a similar face to the present Honenheim's face so that Ed would get the idea. Think about it, let's say Envy's true face was like his father's, but his father has black hair and a softer face and such, and he used that face, what does that tell Ed? Nothing, he wouldn't give a crap. However, he sees his father's face and says "No way... you couldn't be..." Get the picture?
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Dec 19 2004, 08:42 PM)

I'm pretty sure that was not his real face. Envy does say early on that he can't remember his real face, but he could be lying, but it doesn't matter, because I have other evidence that it likely was not his real face.

Think about it, a human body itself can not live over 100 years (besides extraordinary cases of still less than 110 years, obviously not counting humonculus such as Envy), Greed said something about being sealed 130 years or something, and Envy was at least present when he was sealed. This makes Envy at least 130 years old, probably much older. If he was Honenheim's son, he must have been born as a human BEFORE Honenheim had his present body. Therefore, Envy's father did not look like he does now, therefore Envy would not look like present Honenheim.

My assumption would be that Envy took on a similar face to the present Honenheim's face so that Ed would get the idea. Think about it, let's say Envy's true face was like his father's, but his father has black hair and a softer face and such, and he used that face, what does that tell Ed? Nothing, he wouldn't give a crap. However, he sees his father's face and says "No way... you couldn't be..." Get the picture?

Or Bones simply wanted things to be dramatic, so all of a sudden Envy can recall his "reappearance".

In other words, a mistake by Bones.
Hikari no Hohenheim
If you see the flashback of the creation of the first Kenja no Ishi, you can see that the original Hohenheim looks A LOT LIKE the 1910's one.
Queen of the dammed
Maybe he likes bodies that look like that?
Hikari no Hohenheim
It seems like... Anyone knows how Hohenheim learned to perform alchemy? If...
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
kenny
And also for those who have finished the anime :

blueices
Quistis88
vegita625
QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 19 2004, 11:24 PM)
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Dec 19 2004, 08:42 PM)

Or Bones simply wanted things to be dramatic, so all of a sudden Envy can recall his "reappearance".

In other words, a mistake by Bones.

My point wasn't that he couldn't remember, far from it, I just said that was one argument I could make that could easily be explained away. What *I* am saying, is that if the face Envy used was his true face, that means that the body Honenheim was in had to have lived, *without Honenheim having to switch bodies*, for over 130 years, probably a lot longer, the point was Envy letting Edward know exactly who he was when he was alive, not that that was his real face. Get what I mean yet?
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Dec 20 2004, 05:39 PM)
My point wasn't that he couldn't remember, far from it, I just said that was one argument I could make that could easily be explained away.  What *I* am saying, is that if the face Envy used was his true face, that means that the body Honenheim was in had to have lived, *without Honenheim having to switch bodies*, for over 130 years, probably a lot longer, the point was Envy letting Edward know exactly who he was when he was alive, not that that was his real face.  Get what I mean yet?

and if he wantz to do that, he could simply just go totally hoenheim with ponytail and all.
envy only resemble hoenheim. even at the end when he went into the gate, he change into that "look like hoenheim" person and ed wasn't even in the gate with him then. why he bothered to change into that with noone looking at him
like the other guest said, the facts are there, bones simply messed up
no need to go finding complcated explanations
Fresh_Coffee
Oh ok thanks for answering my question. I was wondering if the 'normal' face of envy was another person who was that other person?
Hikari no Hohenheim
Envy was created BEFORE the first Kenja no Ishi; Hohenheim transmutes the stone by clapping his hands.
vegita625
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Dec 20 2004, 07:44 PM)
Oh ok thanks for answering my question. I was wondering if the 'normal' face of envy was another person who was that other person?

I think it's like Lust said, he likes looking pretty lol. They never tell you if it's ONE person's face or not, so who knows. My guess would be a random face he came up with and liked more than any single face (I remember seeing a show once that had some robot that could change himself into any person's shape, when wondering how to live his "life" normally, he was told to mix them up and he came up with something unique. That's how I always thought of Envy's face, but it could still be one specific person's face from the past...)
kenny
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Dec 20 2004, 05:14 PM)
The Gate must be summoned by an alchemical reaction, I think, and since the world Ed is in has no such powers of alchemy, he cannot access the Gate.

yeah, exactly... Our world has no alchemy.. so it's strange that he could return once... we have no real idea how he returned the first time...

well not everything is meant to be explained... happy.gif
blueices
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Dec 21 2004, 12:18 AM)
(I remember seeing a show once that had some robot that could change himself into any person's shape, when wondering how to live his "life" normally, he was told to mix them up and he came up with something unique.  That's how I always thought of Envy's face, but it could still be one specific person's face from the past...)

That sound so familiar,,,but I can't put my finger on it...what show was that?
Quistis88
QUOTE(kenny @ Dec 21 2004, 05:58 AM)
yeah, exactly... Our world has no alchemy.. so it's strange that he could return once... we have no real idea how he returned the first time...

well not everything is meant to be explained... happy.gif

vegita625
QUOTE(blueices @ Dec 21 2004, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Dec 21 2004, 12:18 AM)

(I remember seeing a show once that had some robot that could change himself into any person's shape, when wondering how to live his "life" normally, he was told to mix them up and he came up with something unique.  That's how I always thought of Envy's face, but it could still be one specific person's face from the past...)

That sound so familiar,,,but I can't put my finger on it...what show was that?

I'm pretty sure it was Batman Beyond with a guest appearance by some other WB show that I can't remember the name of. The robot was originally an assassin, but it got its own mind and doesn't want to kill, but now it runs from the government that wants to keep using it, etc., etc.
Sycia
Well, the first time he was in London, he was his short-haired alter ego self.  That alter ego died when that file of stuff fell on him, and once a person is at the stage of death, their soul reaches the Gate.  So, dying is also another way to access the Gate, and in London, so far, that seems to be the only way.

Aye, : One can guess someone who's been through it 2 times got sick of it and is trying to find another way to get back...
blueices
ah thats what it was Vegita, thanks for the reminder...It really was quite familiar

As for the current topic:
I very much agree with what Quistis said as well. But as I mentioned in the first page, since the "London" Ed has already died, (that zepplin crash) that explains why this time Ed's in London with his automail body
(It's really unfortunate that he's there with that arm so messed up by the way)

~~My guess is that Ed's only going to get back this time after Al discovers something or other about the gate (maybe he'll finally remember it like he did in the manga)

Random question: If Ed is supposed to be older in the movie, I wonder what will have happened to his automail by then (he won't have one leg drastically longer than the other will he??? (I hope he gets his growth spurt) dry.gif

Edit: New question Are there hints about the movie in this image...(look at the upper right hand side) Are those new characters which will be in the movie?
If anyone can translate that let us know!
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/gallery...hp?image_id=826
Sycia
There's a mention of Kouhaku in there....

I would translate, but I can't see the words. X_x
Fresh_Coffee
Random question: If Ed is supposed to be older in the movie, I wonder what will have happened to his automail by then (he won't have one leg drastically longer than the other will he??? (I hope he gets his growth spurt)

He'll probably have to find a new mechanic. His 18 I'm sure he'll get his growth spurt HOPEFULLY but he'll still be cool.
Could someone translate for us if they can see the words? I wonder if it will mention a plot for the movie? Probably not.
blueices
Another question: Are we really sure that Marco is dead? I mean I guess we can assume he is...but it's never stated directly right?

Random question 2....Who wanted to ressurect gluttony?

(Blue gets interesting image of a saddened Mrs.Gluttony...who's just gluttony w/ shirley temple curles ) laugh.gif
ἀρχή
QUOTE(blueices @ Dec 24 2004, 01:26 PM)
Another question:  Are we really sure that Marco is dead?  I mean I guess we can assume he is...but it's never stated directly right?

I thought Dante said that Gluttony ate him when Ed was facing off with her...maybe I'm wrong.
vegita625
QUOTE(arche @ Dec 24 2004, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE(blueices @ Dec 24 2004, 01:26 PM)
Another question:  Are we really sure that Marco is dead?  I mean I guess we can assume he is...but it's never stated directly right?

I thought Dante said that Gluttony ate him when Ed was facing off with her...maybe I'm wrong.

::envy walks into room as Marco::
Envy: "Edward-kun..."
Ed: "Dr. Marco?"
::changes into Hughes::
Envy: "Remember Ed, you entrusted him to the Fuhrer, did you think he could be safe? He went into Gluttony's stomach a long time ago."
ἀρχή
You have a much better memory than I. It's been a while since I was able to memorize anything. I'm so used to having to get big picture analysis that memorizing tv shows just eludes me. I hate that because there's some great lines smile.gif.

Ok, I wasn't crazy, we have strong reason to believe that we know where Marco is.
blueices
Thanks for clearing that up, I haven't been able to watch the last couple episodes more than once ( I guess the shock of all the other stuff kinda over shadowed this)
vegita625
QUOTE(arche @ Dec 24 2004, 03:18 PM)
You have a much better memory than I. It's been a while since I was able to memorize anything. I'm so used to having to get big picture analysis that memorizing tv shows just eludes me. I hate that because there's some great lines smile.gif.

Ok, I wasn't crazy, we have strong reason to believe that we know where Marco is.

I just kinda like that part because he's still in Hughes's shape when he says "Come on, you trusted him to the Fuhrer, there's no way he'd be safe, right?" (and the movements he does just fit Hughes, that's why I like that part, kinda) and something about "It's as if you fed him to Gluttony yourself."
Fresh_Coffee
I don't remember much 0_0 I need to re-watch the Anime again. I do remember Dr.Maroch speaking well, Envy speaking but I have no idea what he said.
polynesia
Unanswered questions? Well, I might seem a bit stupid for this...but what exactly HAPPENED to Envy at the end of the series? I watched that last part 6 times, but I still don't understand what ended up happening to Envy... As far as I can see, he turned into a whole bunch of people, then a dragon, then flew into some light... I'm not making the connection, sadly...
AtomskFlame
Envy: She mentions early on (first time you actually see Envy) that she just prefers that female form.

Crossing the gate: The first time Ed crossed, he was in a body from the other side, one that is probably similar to his own so his soul chose it, as his father kinda put it. The second time, that body had died, so Ed had to cross in his own body. As long as your body is still at the gate, then you can return (Ed's arm and leg in Wrath, Al's body, Ed's first return, their bodies were still in the gate), once your body has crossed the gate, you can't return (That's why Ed's dad can't cross back over either, his acutal body is on the other side).
Hikari no Hohenheim
Envy have no female form... He doesn't have titties!!!
AtomskFlame
ROFL, okok, err, perfers that form!! biggrin.gif:D
The_Lazy_Alchemist
QUOTE(polynesia @ Dec 28 2004, 09:29 PM)
Unanswered questions?  Well, I might seem a bit stupid for this...but what exactly HAPPENED to Envy at the end of the series?  I watched that last part 6 times, but I still don't understand what ended up happening to Envy...  As far as I can see, he turned into a whole bunch of people, then a dragon, then flew into some light...  I'm not making the connection, sadly...

Dragon symbolizes eternity, infinity, anything to do with extremely long periods of time. I guess this is kind of basically him saying "I'll be back in the movie" or something, without actually saying anything. Whether he really will be back or not, who knows?
vegita625
QUOTE(AtomskFlame @ Dec 31 2004, 12:31 PM)
ROFL, okok, err, perfers that form!! biggrin.gif:D

As Envy puts it, his "cute form." ("Good, I can return to my cute form again." after being the priest for a lil while)
polynesia
QUOTE(The_Lazy_Alchemist @ Dec 31 2004, 04:31 PM)
Dragon symbolizes eternity, infinity, anything to do with extremely long periods of time.  I guess this is kind of basically him saying "I'll be back in the movie" or something, without actually saying anything. Whether he really will be back or not, who knows?

Ah, thanks so much. I was kind of guessing something along those lines, but I wasn't sure.
Curious Guest
Ok, since this is a fairly open topic, I've got a quick question that as far as I know hasn't yet been answered on these boards:

If anyone could help clear this up that'd be cool.
Omakase Shimasu
QUOTE(blueices @ Dec 22 2004, 06:23 AM)
Edit: New question Are there hints about the movie in this image...(look at the upper right hand side)  Are those new characters which will be in the movie?
If anyone can translate that let us know!
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/gallery...hp?image_id=826

From what I can see some of those characters are from a different anime called Haru Kanaru blah blah blah blaaah, such an insanely long name. *sigh*

@Curious Guest: The link she mentions has to do with the Gate itself. smile.gif Newborns are apparently much closer to the Gate than any other (unless you're near-dead) so she used the baby to summon the Gate at her will.
Phoenix_alchemist
Since the gate is a combination of mind, body and soul, there are only two times where a human is close to the gate naturally. When they are near death or shortly after birth. Other times, an alchemic reaction is needed to access the gate.

I am assuming that the gate Dante is using is actually the baby's gate, until the end where Ed transmute himself, then Ed is using his own gate.
blueices
Question which just Dropped into my Head: (Re: Anime)

We know that Hohenheim left the family for an extended period because his body wouldn't properly sustain him (and he didn't want to freak anyone out)
but,
What was he up to for all that time? Why didn't he bother to call????
(I think this will all be explained by the manga eventually...especially if Hohenheim is "Father")
In ref to the anime: I guess these questions can't be properly answered, but one has to wonder...
QUOTE(blueices @ Jan 7 2005, 12:15 PM)
Question which just Dropped into my Head: (Re: Anime)

We know that Hohenheim left the family for an extended period because his body wouldn't properly sustain him (and he didn't want to freak anyone out)
but,
What was he up to for all that time?  Why didn't he bother to call????
(I think this will all be explained by the manga eventually...especially if Hohenheim is "Father")
In ref to the anime: I guess these questions can't be properly answered, but one has to wonder...

In ref to the anime....

he went out, found a few more ladies every few years. Each of whom he suddenly finds "true love" and have two children per lady with, thus setting up more FMA movies that have nothing to do with continuing the story.

FMA 3 : The brothers I never knew
FMA 4 : The brothers defeated by their own brothers
FMA 5 : Brothers vs brothers
FMA 6 : Love, sex and incest!!! The Elric brothers vs the Elric sisters!!!

ph34r.gif
tara_mon
does anyone know what happened to gluttony? he ate dante, right? then what happened to him?

and I'm curious about something... what happened to roy's left eye?
someone in fanfiction.net wrote that he/she thinks it was shot by riza... one of her bullets that missed hit roy's eye
that's why later riza said "something" was her fault
but I think she felt guilty because she came to the fuhrer's house late...

was roy's eye shot by her? or by archer?
Fresh_Coffee
I also read that Fanfic and I'm not sure. It's either Riza hit Roy's eye or Archer. I think it's Archer but I could be wrong. Hohenheim probably didn't want Dante to find him because she would have asked for the Stone.
hitokiri
ok what hohenheim did in his absence nobody knows.... why he never contacted anyone is simple....it hurts less to not have something you are not constantly reminded of.

on the subject of riza shooting roy, are you people on crack or something?.... RIZA DOES NOT MISS... fanfics are the work of the imaginations of people who have nothing to do with anything officially FMA related. hell i could write one right now that says that all of FMA is really nothing more than a fevered dream of goku's cause he had some bad fish, doesn't make it true though...
blueices
RIZA DOES NOT MISS

Bingo!!!
If Riza was apologizing for anything, it was for not getting to the scene sooner
vegita625
QUOTE(blueices @ Jan 8 2005, 11:20 AM)
RIZA DOES NOT MISS

Bingo!!!
If Riza was apologizing for anything, it was for not getting to the scene sooner

Archer got there, aimed the gun at Roy, Riza gets there, and Archer's blocking Riza's view of Roy entirely. This is what we see in that scene. Even if Riza missed (yea, right), she couldn't have hit Roy. Riza shoots, Archer stands there for a second, then falls, revealing an already unconscious Roy. Roy was already shot before Riza could do anything, therefore Riza feels bad that she didn't get there before he was shot. Beyond that, if it's a fanfic, it's all someone's imagination what that all resulted after that.
Fresh_Coffee
It seems unlikely but whoever wrote that fic was pretty convicable although I still believe Archer hit his eyes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.