Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Volumes 9, 10, & 11 (English, North American Version, Chapters 34-37, 38-41, 42-45)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2
IttyBittyPretty
I pre-ordered volume 9 on Amazon a couple of weeks ago, and the site says the ship date is September 20th.

Last night, I decided to add 10 and 11 to my pre orders, but when I got a message stating the ship date for them is AUGUST 11th, I chickened out and put them back on my "save for later" list. (I can't order now until my seasonal job starts up again in September and I'll have the $$ to blow on more manga!)

I am wondering if this is some sort of glitch in Amazon's ordering system.
ed_rocks_my_skull
Has it always been so late in the month? Because Ive gotten my manga on the first of the month, except for vol.8.
IttyBittyPretty
QUOTE(ed_rocks_my_skull @ Aug 11 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]431538[/snapback]

Has it always been so late in the month? Because Ive gotten my manga on the first of the month, except for vol.8.

Hmmm, I dunno because I'm new to this manga thing, I get my manga when I am able to get to the Chimera Hobby Shop (sorry kids, the Devil's Nest gang does NOT work there!) in Fondy; or find it on ebay/Amazon.
Wyrd_Raven
In many cases stores will ship books as soon as they get unless there is a strict enforcement of street date.
Kirara
Just to let everyone know Volume 9 is out now. biggrin.gif

They are now spelling Ling as Lin. And Ran fan is being spelled Lan Fan (that doesn't bother me as much as Lin). I don't think Viz understands the meaning of consistency.
MonsterEnvy
Heh. Whenever they're inconsistent, it's easient to change tthe books. *gets trusty sharpie ready to write a lot of Gs*
Colette
QUOTE(Kirara @ Aug 20 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]434950[/snapback]

They are now spelling Ling as Lin. And Ran fan is being spelled Lan Fan (that doesn't bother me as much as Lin). I don't think Viz understands the meaning of consistency.

FGKLGVKLF:XDFHCKDJFKS:DJSKLDJSKLDJSKLDJKSDJKSJDKSJdckNM VM><n

(Sorry. Words and emoticons couldn't express my anger =/)

Okay seriously. I don't mind Lan Fan. I kinda like it. But LIN?! WTF Viz?!

Okay....deep breathes....How is Mei's name? May wouldn't bother me too much, but still. Grr, Viz. Grr.

And I went to the store and bought Volume 3 of Naruto, it wasn't there. I can wait though.

Kirara
Okay....deep breathes....How is Mei's name? May wouldn't bother me too much, but still. Grr, Viz. Grr.

Mei isn't in volume 9 so I'm not sure. She was Mei is volume 8 but Ling was Ling is Volume 8 as well. May would really bother me so let's hope they stick to Mei.
Tombow
QUOTE(Kirara @ Aug 20 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]434950[/snapback]

NOOOO!!! "Lin" sounds like girl's name!! Lan Fan is not as bad, but I still like RanFan better!! sad.gif
Wyrd_Raven
QUOTE(Kirara @ Aug 20 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]434950[/snapback]

This is to be expected with translations every so often, the person putting it in makes a mistake and if there is no time to redline the book, well sometimes those mistakes make it out. Sides didn't we have a debate here long ago on whether it was Ling or Lin wink.gif
Jze0

Are u freaken serious!! Viz was going a decent job with the manga up until this point and now this!! Are u sure? Can you post some scans or something to prove it?

This is not cool!! mad.gif
IttyBittyPretty
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Aug 20 2006, 04:36 PM) [snapback]435025[/snapback]

FGKLGVKLF:XDFHCKDJFKS:DJSKLDJSKLDJSKLDJKSDJKSJDKSJdckNM VM><n

(Sorry. Words and emoticons couldn't express my anger =/)

Okay seriously. I don't mind Lan Fan. I kinda like it. But LIN?! WTF Viz?!

And I went to the store and bought Volume 3 of Naruto, it wasn't there. I can wait though.

Just got volume 9 in the mail today, I read it in an hour or so, and then only because I put it down for a while to do other things. While Ling is called Lin in that volume, his wrist ID at the detention center reads "LING Yao." Now I can't wait until next month, when I can order volume 10. (Got to keep my manga mania under control rolleyes.gif )
Wyrd_Raven
QUOTE(Jze0 @ Aug 28 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]438184[/snapback]

Are u freaken serious!! Viz was going a decent job with the manga up until this point and now this!! Are u sure? Can you post some scans or something to prove it?

This is not cool!! mad.gif

First of all. CALM DOWN. Errors like this happen in printed works alot, even among professionals. The best thing to do here is look at the situation Next Time. I'm going with the theory that who ever was adding in the text at the time may have made a mistake. Worse things have happened and if the fans alert the companies in the proper way this can be changed for future releases. Going off handle and making a ranty post solves nothing.

Having read nine myself, yes Ling is spelled as Lin. This is an error and while a bit miffed, I think my theory on how it happened still stands. If everyone wants to, why don't send a polite e-mail off to Viz. Letting them know of the problem so that in the second print run, the problem will be fixed.
Tombow
QUOTE(Wyrd_Raven @ Aug 28 2006, 10:01 PM) [snapback]438287[/snapback]
First of all. CALM DOWN. Errors like this happen in printed works alot, even among professionals. The best thing to do here is look at the situation Next Time. I'm going with the theory that who ever was adding in the text at the time may have made a mistake. Worse things have happened and if the fans alert the companies in the proper way this can be changed for future releases. Going off handle and making a ranty post solves nothing.

Having read nine myself, yes Ling is spelled as Lin. This is an error and while a bit miffed, I think my theory on how it happened still stands. If everyone wants to, why don't send a polite e-mail off to Viz. Letting them know of the problem so that in the second print run, the problem will be fixed.
@Wyrd_Raven - Thanks for rthe wise words!! happy.gif
Yeah, I may send a polite email/mail.

(OT: Happy belated birthday!! ..the board was down yesterday. )
Kirara
Well the Japanese version makes the mistake and spells it Lin in the character profiles. So although I am upset by the change (especially since it was Ling in volume 8) it's not a huge deal. However Viz has made constant stupid mistakes in their translation of FMA.

Just in volume 9
* They switched Ed and Al's speech bubbles on page 12. And had Ed calling Al "Ed" on page 69. If this is a one time thing it wouldn't be sucha big deal but Viz is constantly making stupid mistakes which brings me to the conclusion that someone does not bother to proof-read the translations. Fan translations I have seen have less mistakes than the official english release and that is just wrong.

There were also mistakes in volume 8 and the image of Greed on a cross shaped rock was edited to look like just a regular rock (this especially made me angry).

So yes I do plan on writing a polite letter to Viz thanking them for bringing the manga over here but voicing my frustrations at the lack of quality control. I think FMA deserves better. But first I want to go through all my English volumes and record all the mistakes just to hit the point home. It might take some time though. mad.gif
Sensenic
QUOTE(Kirara @ Aug 29 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]438624[/snapback]

Fan translations I have seen have less mistakes than the official english release and that is just wrong.

In fact, I'd like to comment that, dunno in the case of USA, but here in Spain I've been taking fantranslations as better and more truthful to the original than official ones for a long time now....

And it's obvious: official works are just people who are paid for a job, normally sth they don't care much about. It's their job and they'll do it, sometimes better, sometimes worse, but that's it.
Whereas, in fantranslations, as the name itself says, it's FANS: who, therefore, want to keep the spirit of the original intact and make it available to audiences foreign to the original language. And, plus, they do it out of their love for the work, without being paid.

That is, talking in general, of course, there're ALWAYS exceptions. But you get my point (I hope) happy.gif
Wyrd_Raven
I find there are some professional translators who would take offense at that. Anywho, some of the bigger mistakes that occur in the fan translation get so hard wired into fandom as being "right" that no amount of reason can break it apart. Case in point is the Isvhalian Warrior Priest Tatoos flub that you have mentioned sensenic. (For others not familiar, see here).

I admit that official translators make mistakes, it's human nature, besides something is always lost in translation and no matter how hard a person does something... problems occur. It would be nice to get to hear the translator and editor's thoughts on the subject. That way we can get a better idea why some of things chaned in the text happens. Now I just noticed the cross to slab change made in Volume 7 (Once again everyone let's keep things CALM) and while it is a shame, it could have been handled muc worse. Still, I'm sure there is a good reason (the burning flame of out of context anger).

Then again maybe I'm spoiled by the treatment Excel Saga has in its translation, and the massive amount of notes given in it. Still, I can't say one thing or another on how Viz handles editing on manga, how many redline sessions they go through. All we can do as responsible fans is help them out and work to a better future.

@Tombow: thanks for the hearty birthday wishes biggrin.gif, Its good to highlight a birthday with the viewing of the Cromartie High Movie.
Sensenic
QUOTE(Wyrd_Raven @ Aug 30 2006, 05:03 AM) [snapback]438826[/snapback]

I find there are some professional translators who would take offense at that.

Why, indeed. I was probably a bit too harsh on that part, but I've just had... eh... "bad experiences".

Anyway, I wasn't refering only to translators, but also editors (such as that mistake of Ed calling Al "Ed", many examples of speech bubbles being left empty on the Spanish edition of Detective Conan -the horror!-, etc.), publisher companies and their policies (being an example, precisely, that cross-into-slab censorship), etc. Whoever may participate in an adaptation project. I used to put all the blame on translators, back then, when I was a happy ignorant geek, but I've "grown up" now and I've learnt to "share the blaming" tongue.gif
I'm a "unhappy less-ignorant geek" now happy.gifU
Anywho, some of the bigger mistakes that occur in the fan translation get so hard wired into fandom as being "right" that no amount of reason can break it apart. Case in point is the Isvhalian Warrior Priest Tatoos flub that you have mentioned sensenic. (For others not familiar, see here).

Well, mistakes happen everywhere... And that case was just an unfortunate one.... I wouldn't call it as much an example of "hard-wired into fandom as being right" as, rather, a mistake that no one bothered to check if it was wrong (because, I guess, no one thought it would at the time. Or if they did, no one said it. Not here at least), so it was taken for true, just like the rest of the whole translation of FMA is... I mean, it's not like that phrase was "specially" taken as a "true unchangeable fact", dunno-how-to-say-it-better... x_x
It was used on discussions to make assumptions and prove theories, yes... but just like many others have been. And the same happens with official translations, I don't think this phenomenon of "taking mistakes for true" is exclusive to fan ones.

I admit that official translators make mistakes, it's human nature, besides something is always lost in translation and no matter how hard a person does something... problems occur. It would be nice to get to hear the translator and editor's thoughts on the subject. That way we can get a better idea why some of things chaned in the text happens.

True indeed, that's why I always love it when those rather scarce (reminder: I'm talking about Spain's case, dunno how it is on the USA, or other countries for that matter) "tranlator's notes" appear at the end.

In the case of manga, here we only have one publisher who adds those regularly in every volume. sleep.gif

Then again maybe I'm spoiled by the treatment Excel Saga has in its translation, and the massive amount of notes given in it.

*is envious*
Here ES was left incomplete... T_T Didn't sell well it seems... And yeah, it was full of translators' notes at the end too... A pity.
Wyrd_Raven
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Aug 30 2006, 02:48 AM) [snapback]438947[/snapback]

*is envious*
Here ES was left incomplete... T_T Didn't sell well it seems... And yeah, it was full of translators' notes at the end too... A pity.

That's a shame, where did it trail off? In the states we're up to vol 14.
Kirara
Although in my case I am not talking about translational differences, I am talking about careless errors. And they donít happen occasionally they happen a lot. I notice at least one mistake in every volume (switching speech bubbles, spelling errors of English words, grammatical mistakes, etc.) Maybe that isnít a big deal to some people but it is to me. Oh I am not going to stop buying the VIZ versions I want to support the manga. But when a fan translation makes a mistake, itís free so why should I care? However I am paying $10.00 for that Viz translation and at the very least I expect some better quality control. I donít know if someone is copyediting the manga but if there is someone than I think they need to reevaluate what that person is doing because he/she is not doing a good job at all.

And also the professional translation did call Edís watch the ďgold watch of the militaryĒ when it is supposed to be silver. Of course this was a mistake in the fan translation too but it is a little ridiculous for a professional translation to make this type of mistake.

And it could be much worse I am not denying that but it could also be better and that is the main point I am trying to make.
Sensenic
QUOTE(Wyrd_Raven @ Aug 30 2006, 06:55 PM) [snapback]439034[/snapback]

QUOTE(Sensenic @ Aug 30 2006, 02:48 AM) [snapback]438947[/snapback]

*is envious*

That's a shame, where did it trail off? In the states we're up to vol 14.

F... four... T_T
QUOTE(Kirara @ Aug 30 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]439093[/snapback]

Although in my case I am not talking about translational differences, I am talking about careless errors. And they donít happen occasionally they happen a lot. I notice at least one mistake in every volume (switching speech bubbles, spelling errors of English words, grammatical mistakes, etc.) Maybe that isnít a big deal to some people but it is to me.

Yeah, I had that kind of mistakes when "ranting" before too. You should see the Spanish edition, it's so bad it's laughable (unless you're still buying every volume for some reason.... T_T). To tell the truth, it has gotten better lately... but during a few volumes (half-volumes, because they sold them cut in 2) it was horrible u_u
Wyrd_Raven
QUOTE(Kirara @ Aug 30 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]439093[/snapback]

Although in my case I am not talking about translational differences, I am talking about careless errors. And they donít happen occasionally they happen a lot. I notice at least one mistake in every volume (switching speech bubbles, spelling errors of English words, grammatical mistakes, etc.) Maybe that isnít a big deal to some people but it is to me. Oh I am not going to stop buying the VIZ versions I want to support the manga. But when a fan translation makes a mistake, itís free so why should I care? However I am paying $10.00 for that Viz translation and at the very least I expect some better quality control. I donít know if someone is copyediting the manga but if there is someone than I think they need to reevaluate what that person is doing because he/she is not doing a good job at all.

And also the professional translation did call Edís watch the ďgold watch of the militaryĒ when it is supposed to be silver. Of course this was a mistake in the fan translation too but it is a little ridiculous for a professional translation to make this type of mistake.

And it could be much worse I am not denying that but it could also be better and that is the main point I am trying to make.

And I am sure if you inform them about this situation, that you can probably get a fix out of this. Viz, as a business, needs to keep its customers happy. If a large number of people politely air their grievances to them, then they will fix the problem. In many cases they can offer a replacement at no cost to you. Of course I can't say for certain this would happen for sure in Viz's case, but then again no one will know unless someone tries.
Kirara
Well actually I do plan to write a letter when I find the time. However I donít expect to get a new copy of the manga. I work in publishing so I know how expensive it is to reprint something. Perhaps they will fix the mistakes in second editions but since that wonít happen for awhile from now it is not something I am worrying about. My objective in writing a letter would be to hopefully get them to pay better attention to editing in future volumes. What has happened in volumes 1-9 is unfortunately already past.
Colette
QUOTE(Kirara @ Aug 29 2006, 11:00 AM) [snapback]438624[/snapback]

Well the Japanese version makes the mistake and spells it Lin in the character profiles. So although I am upset by the change (especially since it was Ling in volume 8) it's not a huge deal. However Viz has made constant stupid mistakes in their translation of FMA.

Just in volume 9
* They switched Ed and Al's speech bubbles on page 12. And had Ed calling Al "Ed" on page 69. If this is a one time thing it wouldn't be sucha big deal but Viz is constantly making stupid mistakes which brings me to the conclusion that someone does not bother to proof-read the translations. Fan translations I have seen have less mistakes than the official english release and that is just wrong.

There were also mistakes in volume 8 and the image of Greed on a cross shaped rock was edited to look like just a regular rock (this especially made me angry).

So yes I do plan on writing a polite letter to Viz thanking them for bringing the manga over here but voicing my frustrations at the lack of quality control. I think FMA deserves better. But first I want to go through all my English volumes and record all the mistakes just to hit the point home. It might take some time though. mad.gif

That wasn't a mistake, they did it on purpose =( Apparently we can handle The Truth calling himself God and Ed saying he doesn't believe in God and that alchemists are the closest thing to it, but Greed on a cross? Heaven forbid rolleyes.gif Greed can also have two women all over him and get his head bashed in with blood flying everywhere, but he can't have a symbolic death. That's just totally wrong! (Despite my complaining, I don't blame Viz. Some people out there WOULD have complained.)

Not to Viz bash or anything, but they also had a typo in the Perfect Guide Book. They called Al El. Typos are natural so I'm not complaining happy.gif

As for me I'm in the middle of a polite letter/e-mail to Viz. And I do mean polite.
Kirara
I realize the editing of the cross was on purpose (itís pretty hard to accidentally alter an image like that) I was just pointing out why I am fed up with Viz. biggrin.gif

I think a polite letter is the way to go.
Migchao
When I read the thing with 'Ling Yao', I thought it said Ling Yaoi. blink.gif

I've got to get volume 9...
Nepharski
I see I'm not the only person who noticed a change-up in Greed's execution. Some people just take everything the wrong way, much to my chargrin. The scenario was supposed to parallel the Father's god complex, not offend any particular religion. I thought that would be understood right off the bat. wink.gif

Got Volume 9. Wonderful, but translation inconsistancies with names. They'll probably fix it in later editions, so if you find it's really that major of an annoyance, just wait for everything to come out and the publishers to unify their works.
Colette
IPB Image

I know it's a typo but......Nuuuuuus D:

And...

IPB Image
LIZA DDDD:

Both scans by Vivi Owns on a seperate forum.

Oh yes, and I sent the letter.
Reta McClain
Duh, looks like vol 9 is full of errors. But I think I can live with that. I have seen errors before and I can always fix them in my twisted mind wink.gif

I envy you people... You can get new volumes much faster than I. And other FMA related books too. Only place around here where I can find FMA don't have Perfect Guide Book (sp?) yet, they haven't got more copies about Art of Fullmetal Alchemist yet even though they said they would get more in couple of weeks... And I asked those a month ago... They said it don't take month...

I sure hope they get vol 9 soon... And those other books I listed.
Wyrd_Raven
Well looks like ANN finally caught up with our discussion on volume 8's little change. And like I predicted cooler heads are not prevailing. *sigh*

Hot blooded otakus will be the death of me I swear.

EDIT: I may have spoken too soon, looks like there are other rational folk but still the fact that there are some idiots making cries of boycott is annoying to no end. Of course this thing is going to blow out of proportion by tomorrow >_<
Colette
~ Volume 11 Out In Stores, May Chang ;-; ~

Volume 11 is out in America and while I didn't buy it just yet, I flipped through it in the store.

Through my brief scanning I noted that the names remain Lin and Lan Fan, and Mei Chan's name has been presented as May Chang.

Discuss it here?
Wyrd_Raven
I hate to say this but we've already discussed it, when 11 came out very early in December ^^;
Triple Soul
Yeah, I've had it for awhile now [though we got in January].

Right now, we should be talking about volume twelve, which is due out this month, I believe...
Nepharski
Yes, volume 12 is slated for a March release. I can't wait.
Jedi28
March 20th according to Amazon, here's hoping it comes out early!
Nepharski
That's the official day, but volumes tend to ship earlier than that.
The random alchemist
QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Mar 6 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]514351[/snapback]
March 20th according to Amazon, here's hoping it comes out early!

yeah I heard that's the date aswell, cannot wait either. It has a great battle in that volume and Gluttony <3 (sorry he's my fav character and it makes me happy to see him doing stuff)
Vitor 3000
I don't live in the USA, so I can't buy the manga ;_;
Here the last volume was the two (JBC doesn't follow the original, and divided the volumes into two, so we only got one japanese volume).
Wyrd_Raven
Actually I have 12 in my hands. Very nice work and Gluttony in all his fals gate glory :3
Nepharski
I probably could have picked up a copy last night, but I had no money on me.
Naivete
Hmm, I got volume 11 ages ago laugh.gif
Actually, I noticed they made mistakes such as spelling Ling's name as "Lin" and changing Ran Fan to Lan Fan mad.gif They also mixed up a few dialogues in a few of the pages. This is all starting from..approx vol 9
Wyrd_Raven
Well on their part, they are dealing with Chinese names, which depending on the day of the week can have 5-6 different spellings
Nepharski
Personally, as long as they keep internally consistant, I'm fine. May Chang? Sure, as long as it's May Chang only from this point on. Ran Fan? Lan Fan? Fine; just pick one, and run with it.

I just wish they'd stuck with Ling, as his security bracelet says "Ling."
The random alchemist
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Mar 10 2007, 05:59 PM) [snapback]516316[/snapback]
Personally, as long as they keep internally consistant, I'm fine. May Chang? Sure, as long as it's May Chang only from this point on. Ran Fan? Lan Fan? Fine; just pick one, and run with it.

I agree with this, the Lin translation not only sounds like a girl's name it just... the g is important darnit all D: G is the coolest letter in the alphabet.
AA battery
Actually, "Lin" and "May Chang" were indeed the correct spelling that was used in the Perfect Guidebook two, as well as starting from volume 11, the character info page that's at the beginning of each volume.

As for "Ranfun (spelling from PGB2)", I think they spelled it as Lan Fan because they were using scanlations' spellings and clearly didn't read the PGB2 tongue.gif

and well, I do realize that no one cares about the PGB2 here, so that's why I stopped scanlating it a long while ago.

As for why Lin's name is spelled as Ling when he was caught in jail? I think it's the "amestria-ified" name for "Lin" ^^;

Oh well, their names are confusing to begin with. =_= May Chang seems to be based on Cantonese, yet Lin Yao seems to be based on Mandarin...

'nuff said. Just click the links below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Alp...0101_lingma.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Alp...FMA_12_0005.jpg

@the random alchemist - actually, Lin and Ling are pretty much equally as girly and as "manly" in Chinese, however; Lin is more commonly used for part of male's name and ling is more commonly used for part of female's name... (from what I usually see in people's names anyways) well, my mom's name has "ling" in it, so... and I thought g stands for "girl" in the alphabet? How is the "g" not girly then?

@Nepharski - *shrugs* starting from volume 11, character info page says "Lin". Since the police (?) people that caught Lin didn't actually has his birth certificate or ID card or whatever, so my guess is that they just guessed "Ling" because that sounds better in English. Moreover, the katakana of his name is indeed Lin (rin), not Ling.

Then that means the Japanese version wasn't consistent with it too, if you have to put it that way. tongue.gif
Naivete
Huh, but I remember perfectly there was a scene in the manga where Lin/Ling was wearing a metal bracelet thingy after he was caught for being an "illegal immigrant" (laugh.gif). It clearly said "Ling Yao" on the bracelet. I'll find the scene when I can be bothered later on. And I'm not sure about the rest.

-EDIT-
I don't know why I'm not reading posts properly these days..
Nepharski
@AA Battery - Alright, I'll grant the point on Lin's name.

But as I said earlier, my main issue is just internal consistency, so even if I had a major issue with Lin, as long as they keep it Lin, whatever floats your boat.
Wyrd_Raven
And it looks like they are keeping it. Viz does look to keep thing consistant when the proper translation issues have been resolved.
Gozar
Hey, I was wondering. What's up with those naming errors in Volume 9 of the Viz Manga? On Page 46, Jean Havoc is called "Jan" (they got it right in the preview at the end of Vol.8). Then on Page 55. Riza is called "Liza". I've heard of the alternate spelling of Liza in the past, but neer used on anything official. What's the deal with this?

Thanks.

Edit: Also, there was one other odd thing I found, unrelated to a naming error. On Page 12. After AL had made a new mask for that girl. When she thanks him, Al says "What was wrong with mine" & Ed says "You're welcome". Shouldn't that be the other way around?
Nepharski
Yes, these issues have been brought up before. All mistakens and errors on Viz's part, I'm afraid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.