Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You Are A Racist...
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Roy Jr.

Do you think that people make such a big deal about it or do people ignore it?
Is it really that bad?
It's up to you....
Give you opinion then.
And to make it a little bit more interesting...

Watch this AMV

Popogeejo
I don't care for racism but people have a right to voice their oppinion.

*Watches AMV*

And? That doesn't swing my oppinion, it just said I could be a bit of a racist which is possible. I fail to see the point of it.
Roy Jr.
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Aug 9 2006, 06:53 AM) [snapback]430621[/snapback]

I don't care for racism but people have a right to voice their oppinion.

*Watches AMV*

And? That doesn't swing my oppinion, it just said I could be a bit of a racist which is possible. I fail to see the point of it.

Sorry, I'll edit the question.
phoenix dying
It should be more or less "Your thoughts on racism"...mind you; you don't have to use "thoughts". Try speculation, theorization, reflection, or just a mild contemplation. Each to his own...

I think were all a little bit racist at heart. We all have our discriminations or prejudices against someone/something. More or less i think half the time people are joking about it anyway. Then you have the land of in-breed people and rednecks, aka the south. Thats just pushing it a little too far.

Now if your still asking the queston, "whats my reaction to racism". It depends if your 'seeing' it happen. Or having it done to yourself. I find it kind of funny myself in any reguard.

Besides we all need a little racism, keeps you on your toes.
ed_drink_your_milk
well, just to get this topic off the ground, how about this:

my thoughts on racism is that there is no stopping it, but I don't think it is by any stretch of the imagination, right. i've seen what racism can do, especially when little kids grow up around it. also, i think racism is born from the environment that you live in. even if a kid doesn't know why, they may hate a certian people just because a relative or close friend does. people just need to be more accepting, and if for some reason, they just HAVE to be racist, the least they can do is just not be openly spiteful.

so...um....I've said my piece.
Popogeejo
Even Archie was just abit racist...

I basicly agree with Phoenix Dying on all this.
Roy Jr.
Thanks for your feedbacks about this thread and your reactions to the topic.

I edited the title to be more clear and I hope it's better now. smile.gif
xironlung
Racism is fine with me as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.
Like, I'm not talking about calling someone a hurtful name behind their back and it being okay, I'm talking about like, racist jokes. Those don't bother me unless it's total nonsence.

Racism is never going to go away.
Everyone is always going to assume things about people by what they look like, dress like, or act like. It's been happening for so long that most of us don't realize we're even doing it.

My thoughts?
I think it's okay in moderation.
But definatly not okay to hurt someone.
Toby-Chan
Oh, Avenue Q...
PUKE
For me, I hate racism with a passion. I know it cannot be stopped but hell, that doesn't stop me from loathing it. <3

I'm alright when me and my friends make racist jokes at one another, but I despise it when random people call me a wetback just because they are thick-headed to believe I chose to arrive brown-skinned. =/

I don't believe racism is alright in any circumstances. Period. Hate is just what insecure and foolish people do.

Oh, and the video is funny as hell. <3 <3
ἀρχή
[existentialist crap]
Racism is all about the difficulties in our ability to know and empathize for the other. We cling to it because it helps us define ourselves in an exisence that lacks meaning, but in modern socieity, we believe we should not exemplify it. This is the essense of the racist conflict.
[/existentialist crap]

::edit::
This is an interesting article on the Granfalloon, which may be somewhat relevant here.
Bluewish
I don't believe racism is alright in any circumstances

I agree, I think racism is wrong as well
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Bluewish @ Aug 14 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]432627[/snapback]

So, Bluewish, are you saying any discrimination is bad?
phoenix dying
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Aug 14 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]432642[/snapback]

So, Bluewish, are you saying any discrimination is bad?

How 'bout we slap prejudice and stereotyping into that queston. Because a part of racism derives from discrimination, prejudice, stereotyping. And i will bet the life of my first born here and say that you have done all three of these fun activities. Theres no way around it, so sit back and enjoy it.
asunder
i discriminate against furries and fanboys /fangirls
Popogeejo
I just want to hear Bluewishes responce mostly because I know for a fact she doesn't like gay people and it's a bit hypocrytical to say racism is bad while saying it's "Just plain wrong" to be gay.

i discriminate against furries and fanboys /fangirls

My good friend is a furry. He admits they have a bad case of "Manifest destiny."
Bluewish
Popoqeejo why do you want to hear my response SO badly?
People have their own opions on things.......and no i dont think any is bad.....
Popogeejo

Because I find it stupid that you denounce discrimination based on race but don't mind it when it comes to sexuality.

and no i dont think any is bad.....

Any "what" is bad?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Bluewish @ Aug 15 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]433052[/snapback]

Because you're clearly a hypocrite.
Bluewish
Any "what" is bad?

Discrimination.....

Because I find it stupid that you denounce discrimination based on race but don't mind it when it comes to sexuality.

What do you mean I dont mindit when it comes to sexuality?
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Bluewish @ Aug 15 2006, 09:47 PM) [snapback]433057[/snapback]

Discrimination.....

So you don't mind discrimination?
Sorry, I thought it was you who said this;

What do you mean I dont mindit when it comes to sexuality?

Here and here you say that you don't approve of homosexuality. So you've stated that you don't like racism but are against homosexuality. Hypocrytical much?
Sorry to drag it up but I found it a bit curious.
Bluewish
Lemme make it straight for you Popo
1. I dont think the same gender should wed
2. I dont have a problem blacks marrying whites....but I do have a prob with some people who mistreat them.
Did I make myself clear?
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Bluewish @ Aug 15 2006, 10:01 PM) [snapback]433062[/snapback]

I'm so tempted to pull this into a gay debate but we have so maybe we could move it there.
You've stated you're views but haven't even tried to explain or back them up.
Bluewish
Oh....truth is I guess I forgot about those posts that I did laugh.gif
asunder
QUOTE(Bluewish @ Aug 15 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]433062[/snapback]

2. I dont have a problem blacks marrying whites....but I do have a prob with some people who mistreat them.
Did I make myself clear?

if popo won't do it ...i will

merriam-webster (m-w.com) definition of discrimination:

Main Entry: dis·crim·i·na·tion
Pronunciation: dis-"kri-m&-'nA-sh&n
Function: noun
1 a : the act of discriminating b : the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently
2 : the quality or power of finely distinguishing
3 a : the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually b : prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment <racial discrimination>

Item #1 : That's both discriminatory and prejudicial.
Bluewish
Golly day ppl, why do you want me to explain so much?
I give my opions on things and then I'm done.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(bluewish)
I give my <opinions> on things and then I'm done.

I'm gonna make a wild asumption and say you're a Catholic right?
Bluewish
No....(sleep.gif)
I'm not Catholic.....
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Bluewish @ Aug 15 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]433075[/snapback]

I give my opions on things and then I'm done.

Opinions aren't worth having if you can't back them up.
MonsterEnvy
Bluewish, it is discrimination to say that gay people can't marry eagh other but straight people can. Whenever you place restrictions on anything because of a factor other than, in some instances, age, it is discriminatory. You can't both say that discrimination based on race is wrong and yet say that discrimination based on sexual orientation is right without being a total hypocrite. Even though you're not directly arguing in favor of this type of discrimination, you support it by believing in it and furthering it. If you think that it is not discrimination, and there is a legitimate reason why gay people should not be married, I will be happy to explain why you're wrong and a complete idiot in the appropriate forum.

Additionally, Roy Jr, that song is from Avenue Q and shouldn't change anyone's opinion about racism. It's just a song that's made to poke fun at one of many social issues the play degrades. While the discussion is worthwhile, having the msong there seems to take away from what might otherwise be a fascinating debate about racism in the modern age.
Bluewish
I jst want peole off my case on what I put down...maybe my first post in this forum was the wrong thing to say.
I should've just said, "No, I'm not racist"
Now you people are really getting on my nerves...yes I'm part to blame
because I posted in this forum.... mad.gif
But get off my case.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Bluewish @ Aug 16 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]433648[/snapback]

I jst want peole off my case on what I put down...maybe my first post in this forum was the wrong thing to say.
I should've just said, "No, I'm not racist"
Now you people are really getting on my nerves...yes I'm part to blame
because I posted in this forum.... mad.gif
But get off my case.

I'll be honest, this group is pretty easy going about stuff compared to other places that have topics like this. Just settle down and possibly enjoy other parts of the site.
Bluewish
Just settle down and possibly enjoy other parts of the site.

That's....what I'm trying to do.
Ronaldo Rodregez
Racism's only fine if you're joking and slightly mean it, not all the way.

Like I'm always making jokes to my Korean friend about dogs and how delicious they are!
Carnal Malefactor
Unfortunately, identifying racists is much more difficult than simply looking for the copy of The Turner Diaries in one's possession. I think that black people are, by ratio, more racist nowadays than whites, or anyone else.

But the most racist demographic of all is old Asian people.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
I think that black people hate when a white person says a racist comment about them, but then a black person would say the same word and the black person hears it. Most of the time they would laugh.
Roy Jr.
I guess etnic jokes on your own race doesn't really hit as hard(if it hits at all) as it would with other races.
ed_drink_your_milk
Well, I know that at my school, there isn't a problem with racism, everybody just thinks there is. For example, once in gym, someone of another race came up to me and told me how everyone of my race is a racist bastard. I don't know about other people, but nobody I know says racist things about them, they just think we do, and get upset!

Did that make any sense?
Lysander
Well, I know that at my school, there isn't a problem with racism, everybody just thinks there is. For example, once in gym, someone of another race came up to me and told me how everyone of my race is a racist bastard. I don't know about other people, but nobody I know says racist things about them, they just think we do, and get upset!

Did that make any sense?

Yes, and it was upsetting to hear. Racism or any type of discrimination in schools are hard to deal with. Thank goodness there isn't at my school... I think...
ed_drink_your_milk
QUOTE(Hollow Souled Alchemist @ Aug 27 2006, 06:21 AM) [snapback]437933[/snapback]

Did that make any sense?

Yes, and it was upsetting to hear. Racism or any type of discrimination in schools are hard to deal with. Thank goodness there isn't at my school... I think...

Well, I hope it isn't at your school. I don't know if it makes a difference, but my town is really seperated. For the most part each race lives in a different part of town, and it is reare the people of different races are friends. There isn't much violence or anything in town, we are all just quietly seperate. That might be the same for other people, but I just thought I'd mention that that is probably the reason we have a problem in the schools.
Roy Jr.
Oh that's hard. But I think it will turn out for the better in time. I mean, you said it yourself that you don't have any violence right? That's a good start right?. laugh.gif
You just have to be positive and ignore those annoying people who try to ruin the silence.
I'm not saying that total silence is good. You people should talk things out sometime or another.
People who care should take safe steps if they want things to change. wink.gif
animefreak_zzz
Well..i am an asian..and reading this:
http://stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=311341

really jacked up my blood pressure a little bit... mad.gif

it is a pretty sad generalisation of asians...
especially since the recent generation aren't so bad at all.. laugh.gif

people's perspectives are real freaky things... ph34r.gif
Roy Jr.
Stay cool! If you really think theyr'e wrong, ignore them! laugh.gif
And don't worry, not everyone believes in stuff like that. Most people are matured enough to know that generalization of people is wrong.

wink.gif
Sharingan Serpent
I don't really treat anyone diffrent, I treat everyone the same no matter what they are...
ed_drink_your_milk
And that's one of the reasons everyone likes you!!

More people should be as accepting.
CoffeAlchemist
I don't treat other races differently.
But, for some reason, everyone says that I'm living in a "indian only" neighbourhood. Yes, I am indian (not native american) and for some reason, its like every race is seperated.

For the most part each race lives in a different part of town, and it is reare the people of different races are friends.

Yeah, something like that.
Roy Jr.
QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ Aug 31 2006, 07:28 AM) [snapback]439428[/snapback]

I don't really treat anyone diffrent, I treat everyone the same no matter what they are...

That's why people like you! Heck, that's why I like you(as a friend)! happy.gif
Sharingan Serpent
QUOTE(Roy Jr. @ Sep 1 2006, 02:55 AM) [snapback]439771[/snapback]

QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ Aug 31 2006, 07:28 AM) [snapback]439428[/snapback]

That's why people like you! Heck, that's why I like you(as a friend)! happy.gif

Heheheh! I understand laugh.gif
Roy Jr.
I see that racism is in rapid decline in our present time.
Due to the fact that globalization is enevitable.
In time, it will disappear.(I think)

For the time being though, I'll keep my mouth shut whenever I want to do a little racism.

See amv on page 1.
Chiyo
Actually I think racism is going up, its just shifting victim. In a few days will be an Anniversary the whole world knows about, and probably the cause of a lot of racism today.

It's the Muslims that are most at risk of racist attack. When you see what you do on telly its only fair to feel suspicious...I know I hate knowing people who want to blow my country up live among us. Most Muslims are wonderful, polite and honest people but because of the 'extreme' of their faith many suffer racist attack.

And don't forget, just because someone is white doesn't mean they can be the victim of racism.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.