HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stem Cell Research, Bush says no, what about you?
Stem cell research
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 24
Guests cannot vote 
Popogeejo
post Jul 20 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #1

Master Alchemist

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,420

So just what do you think of this Stem cell mallarkey? Good, evil, usefull or waste of potential human lives?
Rather than give of on mild rant for an opening I'm not gonna give my oppinions just yet. Don't worry, you'll bget them eventually.

Also up for debate: Was Bush right to veto the Bill allow research?

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Jul 20 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #2

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

Just so we're clear, Bush didn't ban stem cell research. He only banned the use of federal funds for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
22-250
post Jul 20 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #3

Citizen

Member No.: 37,864

Sorry, but I'm ignorant and stupid 14 year old, and I'd like to know what stem cell research is, and what it is used for?

--------------------
Hitler was a Drug-free vegetarian, so remember, to beat Facism, eat meat and do lots of Drugs.

+Quote Post
phoenix dying
post Jul 21 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #4

Brigadier General

Member No.: 4,695

QUOTE(22-250 @ Jul 21 2006, 01:23 AM) [snapback]423918[/snapback]

Sorry, but I'm ignorant and stupid 14 year old, and I'd like to know what stem cell research is, and what it is used for?

Were going to use poop's favorate information source...enjoy

--------------------

Drinking women, chasing whiskey

+Quote Post
HalfAsian Alchem...
post Jul 21 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 38,190

Stem cell research can be called either good or bad, but either way it may be the only hope for some people. I believe that Bush has done an injustice to all those with chronic degenerative diseases, be it cancer or some other type of ailment. We may never be able to know the extent of stem cells now, as federal funding has been all but blocked by Bush.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant.

--------------------
I am the HalfAsian Alchemist, specializing in transmuting half-Asian goods, wait no...

If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an
array, copy and paste this in your signature.

To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Otaku Avatar Maker

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jul 23 2006, 11:19 AM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 3,228

QUOTE(HalfAsian Alchemist @ Jul 21 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]424204[/snapback]

We may never be able to know the extent of stem cells now, as federal funding has been all but blocked by Bush.

FYI: There are other sources of funding for stem cell research. I should know, I help regulate it laugh.gif

Anyway, this all assumes that it is a moral good to "cure" these problems. In a real sense, all this curing that gets done causes massive drains on our economic, social and emotional resources. Perhaps we should all learn to accept the fact that dabilitaing and deadly diseases are a part of life?

Of course, if we didn't expend these resources, I'd be out of a job ohmy.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jul 23 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #7

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

QUOTE(arche @ Jul 23 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]424832[/snapback]

FYI: There are other sources of funding for stem cell research. I should know, I help regulate it laugh.gif

Anyway, this all assumes that it is a moral good to "cure" these problems. In a real sense, all this curing that gets done causes massive drains on our economic, social and emotional resources. Perhaps we should all learn to accept the fact that dabilitaing and deadly diseases are a part of life?

Of course, if we didn't expend these resources, I'd be out of a job ohmy.gif.

So you're saying we should just have these expensive research labs that don't achive anything to keep up employment? Why not just have people push a Rock up hill if the outcome is going to be the same?

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jul 23 2006, 11:39 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(popogeejo @ Jul 23 2006, 02:31 PM) [snapback]424837[/snapback]

So you're saying we should just have these expensive research labs that don't achive anything to keep up employment? Why not just have people push a Rock up hill if the outcome is going to be the same?

My question is whether we should even bother with curing anyone?

As far as research, it's always a gamble. That's the point. Failures even lead to success. The point is to be innovative and have a reasonable expectation of success. But if the answer to my question is that we shouldn't worry so much about curing things, then I'll have to search for employment elswhere as I'm in a curing industry. There's ideals and there's putting food on the table tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Jul 23 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #9

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(arche @ Jul 23 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]424832[/snapback]
Perhaps we should all learn to accept the fact that dabilitaing and deadly diseases are a part of life?

That would put us on a nasty slippery slope.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jul 23 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Void @ Jul 23 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]424844[/snapback]

Perhaps we should all learn to accept the fact that dabilitaing and deadly diseases are a part of life?

That's not a slippery slope but rather a huge cliff. And you're right to be cautious about it. On the other hand, we expend so many resources to "hide" the fact that death, dying and suffering are part of life to begin with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Jul 23 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #11

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(arche @ Jul 23 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]424845[/snapback]

QUOTE(Void @ Jul 23 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]424844[/snapback]

That's not a slippery slope but rather a huge cliff. And you're right to be cautious about it. On the other hand, we expend so many resources to "hide" the fact that death, dying and suffering are part of life to begin with.

But imagine how much more miserable life would be if we DIDN'T expend those resources.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jul 23 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Void @ Jul 23 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]424850[/snapback]

But imagine how much more miserable life would be if we DIDN'T expend those resources.

Life is miserable still. The misery is just more hidden and displaced. We are obsessed with individual health and wellbeing that we don't care about global problems. There are people giving millions of dollars to cure a specific and fairly rare form of cancer because they are affected by it, but that money would probably do the greater good to be used to solve other more common forms of cancer (and I do literally mean millions of dollars). Or it could be used to re-allocate resources to solve other social issues/benefit other social issues.

To cope with emotional misery, people spend far too much money on things they don't need. Money that could be used to help greater causes. At some point someone has to keep us from being emotional with our resources and think about using them for a greater purpose.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Jul 23 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #13

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Not saying you're wrong, but don't you think there's a huge problem when this country is trending towards a general distrust or disavowing of science? The current administration refuses to take any measures to help stem the tide of climate change, spinning the tale that there's still debate in the scientific community over whether or not it's anthropogenic, when in fact the debate ended a decade ago. They promote abstienence-only sex ed programs, despite overwhelming evidence that they do nothing to keep kids from having sex, and in fact make them less likely to have safe sex. They agree with the teaching of 'intelligent design' in public school science classes, even though there's nothing the least bit scientific about the idea. And the disturbing part is that a large portion of the country agrees with them.
Imagine if people had this same attitude when the development of modern medicine revealed dark ages treatments to be obsolete or fraudulent.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jul 23 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #14

I agree that the current administration is causing far more harm than good. As much as I'm willing to push the value of science as a means to metaphysical knowledge, they are ruining it as a means to any knowledge.

The main issue for stem cells is where they come from. Are they a product of killing humans or not, which is the entire abortion debate/(when is something human?).

Having these debates solved by true politicians is horrible. We really need to think about re-structure of our governmental system and/or properly leverage the system itself better to minimize the Republican/Democrat political structure. It just so happens that the US population can't seem to handle not having their politics served up in nice package deals.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Jul 23 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #15

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Thankfully it takes a lot longer than 8 years to turn the U.S. into a third-world country. I just hope that the Democratic party reclaims Congress this year, followed by the election of either a Democrat or Rudy Guiliani or some other moderate Republican as president.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2016 - 04:23 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css