HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Fathers:Love him? Or hate him? Close? Or, not close?, Tell us about your dad, and your relashionship with your dad. :)
zonkiethegreat
post Jun 7 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #136

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 55,197

WOW A lot of people on here have issues with their fathers. It's fascinating to me, because my boyfriend and even my ex-bf had daddy issues too. I'm lucky that I have a loving father, who I see very 2 or 3 weeks (my parents divorced a long time ago, it was a good thing!!!).

It's so sad for me to read some of your posts.

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Amalthea
post Jun 7 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #137

Alchemists

Member No.: 44,604

Family does not necessarily mean being bound by blood. I have friends that come from horrible backgrounds, but consider other people around them to be more of a loving family. It's sad for me to read some of these posts, but just know that it's not uncommon to find more of a family in other people than your biological relatives.

I'm on very good terms with my father. Much more than my mother, but that's a different topic.

It seems like a lot of children will gravitate more towards one parent. There are obviously exceptions to this, but that's just an observation I've made.

Anyway, my father is one of the best men-no, people I've ever known. He can be overprotective, but he loves me very much and sacrifices a lot for more to have a pleasant life. I'm not going to deny that as an undergrad college student, I'm still financially dependent on my parents. It can be embarrassing, but I don't hide it.

My father was extremely strict in terms of things like grades and school, but I'm glad of it. He made me really understand how important things like that are when I was younger. He didn't tolerate indifference to that sort of thing. Someone of you might be thinking "duh" as you read this but during middle school I had a pretty apathetic attitude towards education. Now I'm a straight-A student

So yeah. He and I are very close, and I'm a very lucky person.

--------------------

Thank you, Ms. Arakawa, for sharing this wonderful, enriching story that has affected so many of us!

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Jun 14 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #138

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,365

I don't really him. Don't get me wrong, he does a good job providing for our family and making sure we've got a roof over our heads, but as a person I've always found him to be a bit of an arrogant, self-righteous jerk. I just don't like controlling people like him.

--------------------
"There is no such thing as wrath inside me."

+Quote Post
Carmencita
post Jun 24 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #139

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,440

I love my daddy and even though I don't call him "dad" (I call him by his first name Armando--sometimes Almond. ;P), or say "I love you" every day, and although we have a quiet relationship, he knows I love him.
To prove it to him I was crying at the Beach when he went out a little far in the Jupiter Inlet (most dangerous place for passing boats in FL as far as I know).
And just talking about him makes me cry for I am cursed with unpleasent thoughts of the day that they have to go... Thats all I'm gonna say cause I'm at the verge of tears.

+Quote Post
ShoOtaku
post Jun 26 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #140

Citizen

Member No.: 74,635

Fathers are nice, but not in my case. My father hasn't been around for nearly my entire life. He left when I was about a week old. I don't know what he looks like. Personally I don't care. Because I don't know my father, I've asked about him at several occasions. Each time, the only things I keep getting told is how abusive he was to my mother. I couldn't forgive him for that. Every negative thing i hear about him comes from my mom. Now, I know you might think that she could just be saying mean things out of hatred for him, but that's what I thought too. Until, one day, when him and I talked for the first time on Yahoo! Messenger. Him and I, somehow, got into an arguement and he ended up saying these unforgettable words: "Are You Always This Stupid? Or Are You Just Making Today A Special Occasion?". After that, I lost all respect for him.

At some point in that conversation, I manged to find out that he did not know how old I was, or what I looked like. Actually, he said himself that he did not care. To prove that he didn't care, he ended up signing off his parental rights to me. That was just a huge slap in the face for me.

Today, I don't consider him my father. Sure we will always be biologically related, but in my mindset he has no relation to me what so ever. In conversations I bring him up as "Scott" which is his first name, just as a sign that I don't respect him in anyway. I try to push this aside, hoping to never talk about it again. Though, once in a while, I like to share my story, so that people can get to know the real me.

--------------------

don't be afraid. be daring. go bold. [ s t a n d o u t ].

Signature Made by ShoOtaku

+Quote Post
Envy's Lady
post Jun 6 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #141

Apprentice

Member No.: 73,733

- My dad is so badass -

Okay this might seem a bit like an odd topic but it amazes me so I wanted to post about it.

My dad just had his eyes checked today....and the medical staff were actually shocked and amazed. It must be something they rarely see.

My dad is almost 70 years old and his eyesight is 20/20...infact even better...one of his eyes is BETTER than 20.

A lot of people in their 20's don't even have vision that's that good. I didn't even know it was possible for someone who's nearly 70 years old to have that kind of vision.

Of course my dad is pretty badass in a lot of ways....he's survived being electrocuted(he was blasted back and blacked out for a short period of time but got back up without any help or medical assistance). He was also in a car that flipped and rolled over and he just got out and walked away. He's also had someone try to attack him with a knife and the person failed to stab him at all even though my dad was unarmed(it happened at his office). He also scared the .... out of some people who tried to break into a place we were staying at once....they just saw him and ran even though we know they had a knife(they slashed the screen). He also owned someone who grabbed me when I was a child. He's also saved the life of 2 people who were drowning.

I'm most likely even forgetting some stuff. lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
EdokunEdo
post Jun 6 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #142

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,434

Wow... Thats just Wow.... Im am impressed!

--------------------
"Sup" - Cry

+Quote Post
Envy's Lady
post Jun 6 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #143

Apprentice

Member No.: 73,733

QUOTE (EdokunEdo @ Jun 7 2011, 12:15 AM) *
Wow... Thats just Wow.... Im am impressed!

Yeah some of my friends jokingly asked me if he's immortal or something. lol. I think he's just lucky and badass.

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Jun 7 2011, 07:12 AM
Post #144

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

That's absolutely amazing! ohmy.gif My dad is almost 60 and he can't read without his glasses. laugh.gif

----

We have a thread about Fathers and this thread shall be merged with that one later. In the meantime this one will remain open. biggrin.gif

ETA: Thread merged 29/8/11

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 19 2011, 09:45 AM
Post #145

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Program Note>

Today is Father's Day in some of the countries where our members reside, so...

To all our members who are being "Dad", and to anyone who is being a good loving father to our member,

Happy Father's Day!! biggrin.gif

Anyone who'd like to share his/her "father" story, today might be a good day.... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Jun 19 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #146

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

I don't have any particular story, but I would love to take the chance to reiterate how amazing my dad is. happy.gif I don't know what I would ever do without him. He's always really encouraging and does whatever he does to help me whenever I need it. We also have so much in common and we can talk to each other about pretty much anything. I could go on all day. All in all, I love my dad sooooooooooo much. wub.gif

I gave him his father's day card along with a looooooot of huge hugs this morning! biggrin.gif

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheDrummerWithTh...
post Jul 5 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #147

Citizen

Member No.: 82,285

My dad is one of the coolest guys in the world, but at the same time (and I'm thankful for this) he knows when to be a parent. He's not one of those dads who tries to be your best friend and not a parent, but he's not strict and close minded.

+Quote Post
KelticWolf
post Sep 26 2011, 04:35 AM
Post #148

Citizen

Member No.: 84,785

QUOTE (BloodLust Wolf @ Jul 8 2006, 10:44 AM) *
In FMA Ed really hates his father because he left them all. In my case, I hate mine for that same reason and much more.
Ed an Al are lucky compared to me.

Not trying to be condescending, but holding hate for your father is not a good thing. My 30 year old brother has never met his father once. My father raised him, and he calls my father dad. He told me once "All my life I just wanted to punch him in the face if I ever met him... Now all I want to do is get his medical history.". My brother served in Operation Iraqi Freedom, and is a college graduate, all without the help of his criminal father. Some times(Not saying this is your case) but the father not being there is good.

Heres a quote that I think fits for my brothers situation. "Anybody can father a child. It takes a real man to be a dad."

On another note.
My and my father a decently close, and have a MAJOR love hate relationship. We can fight to the point of almost getting into a fist fight, then, twenty seconds later we are laughing about something else. Also, I have learned very good morale fiber from my dad. I would have gotten in much more shenanigans as a younger kid if it weren't for him.

Also sorry for replying to a post thats ages old.

Edit: Reading about the immortal dad kind of reminded me of my grandfather and father. My father was a roofer. and once licked a cut powerline thinking the power was cut to it.. It wasn't.
My grandfather dropped a huge tree that almost crushed him on himself, but was able to lift it off himself, and continue cutting it up at 64 years old. Hes 78 now. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 03:17 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css