HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Envy's Abilities (thread Contains Possible Spoilers)
Tyrasibion
post Jul 8 2006, 05:34 AM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,228

<Closing the thread and moving from FMA Character discussion forum to FMA Anime Japanese Audience sub-forum, to be merged with "How do they do that?" thread. 02/25/07 ~Tomobow>

To be merged with "How do they do that" thread. ~Tombow.

I've been thinking about Envy's shape shifting abilities for a while. We all know he can change his appearance to whatever he wants, big or small. Considering he can change from his normal self to... [spoiler]a gigantic snake (episode 51)[/spoiler] ...means he can ignore the rule of equivalent trade, probably thanks to the red stone he has in his body.

Now, because of this, Envy could also just create things from scratch, right? In episode 50, he... [spoiler] changes into Hughes and throws knifes at Ed. Those knifes came with the uniform and appearance of Hughes.[/spoiler]

Considering he is able to do that, what would happen if he changed into someone with a big coat, and he took the coat off and changes to his normal self? Would the coat still be there, or just disappear? If it is still there, he can just make himself a coat of money, take it off, return to his normal self, and take the money off of the coat he made, and he is rich. He could just "create" many things this way; money, guns, food, anything you can think of. He could even change to a guy with a table on his back, then take the table off and return to his normal self, and he has a new table to eat on.

Considering he can change into anything, he could also just create things without actually changing into something. He could just create a gun into his hands if he wants... [spoiler]just like he did with the knifes of Hughes I just spoke of. Also, he killed Hughes (episode 25) with a gun. Where did he get the gun?[/spoiler]

What do you think of this? Is this a correct theory or is there more to it? I'd like to know how exactly Envy's shape shifting abilities affect this extra "power".

Thanks for any replies. smile.gif

EDIT: I just noticed I used the word "considering" a crapload of times. XD
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Automne
post Jul 8 2006, 08:08 AM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 13,171

I'm sure this theory is correct.

You already explained eveyrything well, so I don't know what I can say more.

--------------------

mspaint_lolz on livejournal

'Buffy and Angel had gone out before and Buffy wasn't really comfortable talking to Spike and Angel at the same time, because now Spike and Buffy had been going out for 6 months and Buffy was afraid that Angel might tell Spike that him and Buffy went out, but it turns out that Angel had told Spike that they went out, Spike was heartbroken that Buffy never told him that they went out, so Spike broke up with Buffy to get back at her for not telling him that Angel and Buffy went out.'

-NOT MINE

TEH BESTEST (AND MOST FRENCH) ROMANCE EVAR

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jul 8 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #3

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

The gun he used to cap Hughes could have easily be stolen by turning into a soilder and aquiring a side arm.

It's an Ok theory but it's based on one assumption that he can keep what he forms.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
phoenix dying
post Jul 8 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #4

Brigadier General

Member No.: 4,695

This is anime where talking about here people. Not everything has to make perfect sence, not everything has to seem logicial or coherent. (its like Armstrongs pink star thingys, when he hulks up)...I'm not confirming or denying your claims here. I'm just saying that not everything needs to have a reason behind it, expecially in anime. But each to his own, and I digress.

--------------------

Drinking women, chasing whiskey

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Jul 8 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 23,257

Actually, I've a few things to point out. Firstly, Envy has philosopher's stones inside itself. Not true stones in the Anime, but enough to bypass the laws of equivolent exchange, thus the whole point of procuring Philosopher's Stones for normal people. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Envy could change shape large or small, abilities resting in some minor part off the Philosopher's Stone(s) inside. I'm sure they grant homunculi more than just regenerative properties.

Furthermore, as is pointed out in the Manga, you can shift bulk and size around, but the weight of the mass is always the same, just packed more tightly. As Envy is walking through the Forrest in the Manga, for example, it leaves huge footprints, revealing that the weight, though disguised by re-arranging and tightening in, still serves as some idea of Envy's true size. In other words, Envy's regular form is huge, but it contracts down to a more convenient size, but weight remains heavy regardless of mass re-organization.

As far as making a coat of money, I don't think it works quite like that. I think Envy takes a shape and then the clothes, if closely inspected, are part of Envy's body. I mean, take when Pride detonates later in the series. His body regenerates, and clothed I might add. Maybe that's just a self-censoring thing built into the Homunculi for practicality, but I'd wager that when Envy impersonates, say, a soldier, that uniform is actually part of Envy's body. Envy couldn't remove it, at least not entirely. As far as items like guns and such, I think Envy just needs to procure those on site.

Hope this all makes sense.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
rekkakitsune
post Aug 9 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #6

Citizen

Member No.: 39,501

Yah and envy also has superhuman strength and agility too other than transformation.

+Quote Post
MonsterEnvy
post Aug 9 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #7

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 32,500

^You're sig's waaaay too big.

I think that the best answer is that it's just a consistency error. It happens a lot in the anime. As Nepharski said, it makes much more sense in the manga and Envy is never larger than his true form, nor does he detach bits of his body. The explanation that I would give is that, in the anime, he uses a lot of Red Stone to make objcts and things as he transmutes, and when he gets bigger. He wouldn't have to use as much if he were to get smaller because he turns the extra mass into energy for the shapeshift-thus, he weighn the right amount.

--------------------

Sig and tag by Nil-Chan
Punctuation, spelling, and general grammar are our friends! Don't look like an idiot, and be sure not to use numbers in words or toss random Japanese words into sentences where they don't belong.

+Quote Post
Automne
post Aug 9 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,171

And how does it not make as much sense as in the manga then? mellow.gif Thinking that everything in the anime doesn't make sense or has errors is exaggerated, IMO.

--------------------

mspaint_lolz on livejournal

'Buffy and Angel had gone out before and Buffy wasn't really comfortable talking to Spike and Angel at the same time, because now Spike and Buffy had been going out for 6 months and Buffy was afraid that Angel might tell Spike that him and Buffy went out, but it turns out that Angel had told Spike that they went out, Spike was heartbroken that Buffy never told him that they went out, so Spike broke up with Buffy to get back at her for not telling him that Angel and Buffy went out.'

-NOT MINE

TEH BESTEST (AND MOST FRENCH) ROMANCE EVAR

+Quote Post
MonsterEnvy
post Aug 9 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #9

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 32,500

It makes more sense in that it's explained. Envy changes his shape, not mass, and never detaches bits of his body. It makes more sense given the alchemical laws- conservation of mass especially. It's not necessarily an error, it just was never clarified as well.

--------------------

Sig and tag by Nil-Chan
Punctuation, spelling, and general grammar are our friends! Don't look like an idiot, and be sure not to use numbers in words or toss random Japanese words into sentences where they don't belong.

+Quote Post
nataliel
post Aug 13 2006, 04:21 AM
Post #10

Apprentice

Member No.: 39,660

Tyrasibion,
According to FMA manga...
I think, that`s what right: what remains after Envy`s
reconstruction is dissappearing. Remember the moment,
when Envy`s changed into Lan Fan and then Gluttony
swallowed him? The good piece of Envy has remained:
a half!!! And in the scenes, where Gluttony and Al
talking, there`s no sight of that half of the body.
I think, there`re more examples, but i can`t remember...

Now, the FMA series...
Scene (near end), where Envy-Hughes attackes Ed with
that small knives. There`s no sight of them later as well.

And i like Nepharski`s theory about mass reorganisation. smile.gif
Envy must have really superhuman strength to care such a mass -
just look at him "breakdancing" during the fight with Greed!!! smile.gif

HA! Therefore, Envy can cheat in the shops!!! biggrin.gif
Because the parts, he leaves, disappear not instantly.

Envy: Hello, i`ll take these nice things. Here`s the money.
Bye-bye! (walks away)
Shopkeeper (10 seconds later): You bastard! Police!!!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Untitled
post Aug 13 2006, 07:08 AM
Post #11

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 38,823

Well, if he changes with those parts, dont those parts become a part of him to? (lol, then what about the bullets?) Aw, I'm getting really confused...

--------------------
Back from the <insert place>. Reconstructing <:

+Quote Post
Revolutionary Al...
post Aug 13 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 39,649

QUOTE(Untitled @ Aug 13 2006, 08:08 AM) [snapback]432339[/snapback]

Well, if he changes with those parts, dont those parts become a part of him to? (lol, then what about the bullets?) Aw, I'm getting really confused...

Me too...my brain hurts. ><"

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

---~---~---Never give up without a fight---~---~---

+Quote Post
nataliel
post Aug 13 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #13

Apprentice

Untitled,

I think Envy will just spit them out and then change form.
Just as Lust did. Remember her with Wrath`s bullets in her forehead?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
xxEnvyxx
post Aug 14 2006, 05:33 AM
Post #14

Apprentice

Member No.: 39,576

Another thing....can Envy perform an Alchemy when he imitates an alchemist?
I'm juz confused of what i saw in the Episode 1 where he imitated fr.Cornello's form & resurrect the dead birdz...How come he can DO that? juz curious... :3

--------------------

+Quote Post
nataliel
post Aug 14 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #15

Apprentice

xxEnvyxx,
I think it was anime`s mistake.
Or Homunculus performed some smart trick (with a fake stone
maybe). Only one Homunculus can do alchemy - Wrath.
Envy cannot do it, even if he transforms to alchemist.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 01:34 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css