HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V  « < 40 41 42 43 44 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Cosplay! Put your cosplay pics and discussions here! :), Closed because it is now expanded as a sub-forum. :)
Rating 5 V
Tombow
post Sep 19 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #616

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Anne Packrat - That's a cute cat!! biggrin.gif
And, Breda and Sig pic is quite humorous. XDD

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CodenameElizabet...
post Sep 22 2007, 12:43 AM
Post #617

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,714

OMG, Anne, the Haruhi cat made me LOL hard. Sooooooo cute!!!
I love your mascots to death. I may need to get mascot tips from you in the future... a bunch of my friends and I were thinking of doing "Happy Tree Friends" for Dragon*Con next yr, but I have NEVER done a mascot before!

Chi-- I liek the Winry Dev. ID... and HonestDragonChina has some very positive feedback from cosplayers. I have been considering ordering my Suiseseki from them (either them or CosplayStar...) I'm willing to blow up to $250 on that costume, and it is totally commission material. I'll have enough going with sewing Alice, Armstrong, Excel, and Eowyn this year , so I am thinking of just going all out and getting the velvet version of ~Desu from HonestDragon...

Oh! FMA Picnic happening on 9/29!!!
Will post pics afterwards...

--------------------

BONES SHIPS ROIAI. (We have Proof.)

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Sep 22 2007, 06:29 AM
Post #618

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Well if it helps Liz I got a costume from them (Honest Dragon) and it came in great time and fits me perfectly, so I may get the Saber one from them too

Eowyn?! Squeee its been too long since I looked at LotR cosplays

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anne Packrat
post Sep 22 2007, 07:12 AM
Post #619

Apprentice

Member No.: 48,242

QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Sep 22 2007, 03:43 AM) *
OMG, Anne, the Haruhi cat made me LOL hard. Sooooooo cute!!!
I love your mascots to death. I may need to get mascot tips from you in the future... a bunch of my friends and I were thinking of doing "Happy Tree Friends" for Dragon*Con next yr, but I have NEVER done a mascot before!

Tips I can do. Commissions are another matter. I developed the process myself and it is a lot cheaper then most of the other processes out there.

In other news, I finally FINALLY managed to figure out how to get a Cure account with the much loved help of two friends, wikipedia and an English / Kanji translator. There's some real nice FMA cosplay on there, but a lot of the Riza Hawkeye cosplayers don't even use wigs. huh.gif

--------------------

Anne Packrat
Writer, Cosplayer, Oddball

"Philosophy for life: Nod your head like you understand, and if stuff starts blowing up, run like hell."

+Quote Post
CodenameElizabet...
post Sep 28 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #620

State Alchemist (Major)

Since I REALLY want to focus on the wig styling and armor/weaponmaking with Saber, I was thinking of ordering the costume too. I've kind of had it with sewing, and I want to work with materials like Wonderflex and Fosshape and whatnot. Got too much crap to sew next year... blarghhh...

Anne, what I was particularly looking for help with Re: mascots was the sub-structure. I have friends who have used plastic canvas for it, with AMAZING and cost-effective results. Also, one of my friend also knoes how to make the body part (fursuit, or whatever you want to call it) kind of "filled out". I don't know what she used though. I THINK it was polyfill. It was for a Fox McCloud costume, and my friend who wore it is pretty skinny and VERY tall. So she padded it out in the tummy to keep it in proportion. She did a similar thing to a Renamon costume, but in the legs and arms. Not interested in a commision-- willing to try this myself, just not familiar with the construction techniques necessary.

This is what I would REALLY love to do for Dragon*Con:

(Sniffles the Anteater from Happy Tree Friends...)
People will sh*t bricks at a Happy Tree friends group...

Do not know what this "Cure account" is (I'm sure it is some sort of Japanese cosplay site...) but I agree that getting a Riza hairstyle with a wig is incredibly difficult without re-wefting since it is so tight against the head. I would never attempt it with anything except my own hair plus extenstions. Heck, even Katie Bair failed at her Hawkeye wig, IMO, (UGH-- curly, WTF??!?) and she is an AMAZING stylist.

So I can see why a lot of cosplayers prefer to go with their own hair. But at least they could bother to bleach it. I am assuming again that these are Japanese cosplayers with very dark and difficult to bleach hair. I bought my extensios first, in order to get the right blonde as a reference color, and then began mixing my own dye, until I found the right combination of dye and toner to get a close match with the extensions. I spent a few months futzing around with this while I waited for my commission to be done... it helped kill time. (Now, the only pain in the ass thing is having to keep up the hair color... got to touch up again tonight. BLARGH.)

Photoshoot 2morrow, so expect another photo-dump from your resident camwhore.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Sep 28 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #621

Lt. General

Member No.: 37,703

Actually, with the Japanese, bleaching their hair at times is a fashion statement. Ayumi Hamasaki bleached her hair at at one point (came out orangy tho) but even before her there were the ganguros who bleached their hair as white as they could get. ....but ganguros are freaky. XD

You see it now and then with girls who like more 'American' styles. Either way, they've gone blonde before and judging by how nuts Japanese cosplayers can be about accuracy, I think some would think nothing of bleaching their hair like a ganguro to pull off a perfect Riza cosplay....

What I get tired of is American cosplayers who WOULD look good with blonde hair not dying their hair when they do Riza. Brunnette Rizas = not good imo. =/ Be Sloth or Trisha if you have such nice brown hair plz.

--------------------
My icon comm

"I can't stand RoyxHughes (he's married and has a daughter!)"
Popo: "Brace for Fushi! *cowers*"

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
CodenameElizabet...
post Sep 28 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #622

State Alchemist (Major)

Gawd, I am SOOOOOooo not a natural blonde, but I was blonde for most of my college years, so I knew it suited me. I am planning on cosplaying mostly blonde characters because of this (Saber, Eowyn, Alice, Olivia Armstrong...) Even if I need to use a wig for length reasons, at least I know the color will not look like crap with my skintone.

Some people can look completely terrible as blondes, though. For example *I* would NEVER cosplay a black-haired character becuse I cannot pull off that color with my skintone. I tried it once, and it FAILED bigtime. Only wore THAT costume once. Suiseseki is a redhead (well, Auburn-ish...) so I plan to get an auburn wig with some blonde highlights just because lighter haircolors look better for me.

Funny but true story: prior to going back to blonde the other year, my hair was magenta-pink. I KID YOU NOT.

Ganguro fashion = DO NOT WANT. >.<

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Sep 30 2007, 07:07 AM
Post #623

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Agreed, naturally I am quite a dull blonde so I dye it to keep it that bit brighter. I used to have dark hair and it just washed me out..I would certainly only wear a wig for darker haired cosplay.

Still, I dyed it red when I used to cosplay Scully, those days bring back memories....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anne Packrat
post Sep 30 2007, 10:12 AM
Post #624

Apprentice

QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Sep 28 2007, 02:58 PM) *
Anne, what I was particularly looking for help with Re: mascots was the sub-structure. I have friends who have used plastic canvas for it, with AMAZING and cost-effective results. Also, one of my friend also knoes how to make the body part (fursuit, or whatever you want to call it) kind of "filled out". I don't know what she used though. I THINK it was polyfill. It was for a Fox McCloud costume, and my friend who wore it is pretty skinny and VERY tall. So she padded it out in the tummy to keep it in proportion. She did a similar thing to a Renamon costume, but in the legs and arms. Not interested in a commision-- willing to try this myself, just not familiar with the construction techniques necessary.

I use a wire mesh called Hardware Cloth to make the heads generally. I make it into a cylinder and secure it using copper picture wire. Then I shape it more into a ball. At the end i wire a bike helmet into it. All in all it takes between 10 - 20 hours to do a head for me. I don't use much padding per se.... I use my body's (unfortunate) natural body shape. I am looking into trying digigrade or reverse knees at some point though.

Heh, some fursuiters say my stuff isn't that good because it's not made with fur. I'm allergic to craft fur though so I can't use it. It's kind of sad really, lots of cosplayers look down on me cause they say my stuff is too close to furry and some fursuiters look down on me cause I don't use fur. sleep.gif

Oh well. Que sera sera.

--------------------

Anne Packrat

"Philosophy for life: Nod your head like you understand, and if stuff starts blowing up, run like hell."

+Quote Post
CodenameElizabet...
post Oct 3 2007, 08:41 AM
Post #625

State Alchemist (Major)

Hardware cloth... Hmmm... never heard of it! Sounds relatively simple to work with though. And I never would have thought to use a bike helmet as a head-harnass...

There is NO WAY I'd be making this out of fur anyway. I'd actually be most inclined to use fleece.

Nice to see that there is B.S. "elitism" in the fursuiter community as well...
You know, I ~LOVE~ my hobby sometimes... dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anne Packrat
post Oct 3 2007, 09:08 AM
Post #626

Apprentice

QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Oct 3 2007, 11:41 AM) *
Hardware cloth... Hmmm... never heard of it! Sounds relatively simple to work with though. And I never would have thought to use a bike helmet as a head-harnass...

There is NO WAY I'd be making this out of fur anyway. I'd actually be most inclined to use fleece.

Nice to see that there is B.S. "elitism" in the fursuiter community as well...
You know, I ~LOVE~ my hobby sometimes... dry.gif

As far as I know, Hardware Cloth is only available in the Garden Department of Home Depot. It's with the poutry mesh / chicken wire. Fleece is a wonderful fabric, keep in mind that it's very hot though.

I generally only put on my heads for pictures and I don't walk around with them on ever since I broke my ankle in costume.

For a better idea of what I mean here's some progress shots of my Mocchi:

Partway into shaping the head.

Almost done head structure. - Cat is not a necessary part of the process but will likely demand to be involved anyway.

Finished head.

--------------------

Anne Packrat

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Oct 3 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #627

Lt. General

Hey, Anne...do you have instructions for making a hat like your friend did or did you already post some? I'd like to know for Halloween. (it's not really cosplay per say, but I'm being a goth loli version of the Mad Hatter, and I'm already blowing $100 on an adorable goth lolita dress, so if possible, I'd like to save money on the hat.)

Also, Liz, I skimmed over that earlier, but....go with HonestDragon for Desu. CosplayStar's requires too much work to modify. When I go home this weekend, I'll take some pictures of the costume (and maybe me in it, but I'd rather not >>)

--------------------
My icon comm

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
Anne Packrat
post Oct 3 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #628

Apprentice

QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Oct 3 2007, 01:02 PM) *
Hey, Anne...do you have instructions for making a hat like your friend did or did you already post some? I'd like to know for Halloween. (it's not really cosplay per say, but I'm being a goth loli version of the Mad Hatter, and I'm already blowing $100 on an adorable goth lolita dress, so if possible, I'd like to save money on the hat.)

Also, Liz, I skimmed over that earlier, but....go with HonestDragon for Desu. CosplayStar's requires too much work to modify. When I go home this weekend, I'll take some pictures of the costume (and maybe me in it, but I'd rather not >>)

As far as I know, Tracy just glued felt onto a plastic top hat. You can buy them at party goods stores. How to make one, well, I just flew by the seat of my pants. It ended up too big, but I managed to make the fedora work.

--------------------

Anne Packrat

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Oct 3 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #629

Lt. General

Ah. See, I'm not a very big crafts person, so I could never figure it out myself. XP I'll see what I can do, thanks.

--------------------
My icon comm

+Quote Post
Anne Packrat
post Oct 3 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #630

Apprentice

QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Oct 3 2007, 03:01 PM) *
Ah. See, I'm not a very big crafts person, so I could never figure it out myself. XP I'll see what I can do, thanks.

Well, I suppose if you want it to look really good, then use interfacing and fabric for it.

--------------------

Anne Packrat

+Quote Post

45 Pages V  « < 40 41 42 43 44 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 04:38 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css