HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Assisted Suicide & Euthanasia, Terri Schivao, and other cases
Assisted Suicide
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
asunder
post May 15 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #16

Special Ops (Intelligence Officer)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 30,877

QUOTE(DZBrick6 @ May 13 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]394794[/snapback]

My own personal opinion, harsh as it may be:

If somebody wants out of the game of Life that badly, so be it. I don't particularly care what the reason is, either, sick and dying, mentally or physically ill, even 'I'm so depressed, my boyfriend dumped me'...if you're willing to quit that easily, then get on with it. One less in the gene pool...

that's a bit too harsh for my tastes.

believe me if you knew what some people have to go through in certain medical situations, i bet you wouldn't dare say that.

--------------------
Everytime you post something mind numbingly retarded, this forum crashes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DZBrick6
post May 18 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #17

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,718

QUOTE(asu @ May 15 2006, 05:25 PM) [snapback]395829[/snapback]

believe me if you knew what some people have to go through in certain medical situations, i bet you wouldn't dare say that.

Actually, I DO know what 'some people have to go through', I've watched enough friends and family members go through it, and my opinion remains the same.

Examples, you say? OK, then...

My ex-father-in-law: died of kidney failure.

Good friend of mine: died of brain tumour (THAT one was truly horrific!)

Best friend's mom: died of ovarian cancer.

My grandmother: died of combination of heart disease and cancer (again, horrible to watch let alone experience)

My favourite aunt: died of lung cancer, never smoked a cigarette in her life...imagine suffocating slowly because your lungs are deteriorating and there's not a damned thing medical science can do to stop it.

These were all people in my life that meant alot to me. And they all said the same thing towards the end: "Why won't they just let me go?"

I'm sorry if you think me an obnoxious bastard, but that's how I think. Hopefully, you and I can remain on friendly terms despite our differences.

--------------------
Never underestimate the healing power of butter...

IPB Image

IPB Image<--I am SUPER MOD. Hear me roar...

+Quote Post
asunder
post May 18 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE(DZBrick6 @ May 18 2006, 07:49 PM) [snapback]397567[/snapback]

These were all people in my life that meant alot to me. And they all said the same thing towards the end: "Why won't they just let me go?"

I'm sorry if you think me an obnoxious bastard, but that's how I think. Hopefully, you and I can remain on friendly terms despite our differences.

Nah I don't think you're an obnoxious bastard. Our health is something we all take for granted. For those people that want assisted suicide with severe medical conditions; they have reached the final stage of dealing with death. Acceptance. Could you imagine the emotional, mental and spiritual stress that would precede that decision? Especially with dealing with a long term illness...this might also bring into play depression. As any decent family member would do, you would be a bit selfish and push for that family member to continue living. No one wants to willingly let their loved ones die.

Medicine cannot prevent death. Patients can have a little bit of control over the manner and the timing of their own deaths....which makes death less frightening. And you avoid any extreme physical pain or limitation.

Keep in mind there are various ranges to this.

1) Assisted Suicide
2) Not accepting any medical treatment.
3) DNR request
4) Comfort care (Preference of patient comfort therapy in lieu of life-prolonging care)

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonsterEnvy
post May 18 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #19

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 32,500

QUOTE(asu @ May 18 2006, 11:35 PM) [snapback]397601[/snapback]

QUOTE(DZBrick6 @ May 18 2006, 07:49 PM) [snapback]397567[/snapback]

Nah I don't think you're an obnoxious bastard. Our health is something we all take for granted. For those people that want assisted suicide with severe medical conditions; they have reached the final stage of dealing with death. Acceptance. Could you imagine the emotional, mental and spiritual stress that would precede that decision? Especially with dealing with a long term illness...this might also bring into play depression. As any decent family member would do, you would be a bit selfish and push for that family member to continue living. No one wants to willingly let their loved ones die.

Medicine cannot prevent death. Patients can have a little bit of control over the manner and the timing of their own deaths....which makes death less frightening. And you avoid any extreme physical pain or limitation.

Keep in mind there are various ranges to this.

1) Assisted Suicide
3) DNR request
4) Comfort care (Preference of patient comfort therapy in lieu of life-prolonging care)

Really, medecine could prevent death... there's no reason why people should die, but they just run down because of various controllabale factors. Some of the factors we just don't know how to control.

As far as your four things go:
1) Assisted Suicide
Again, I think that there should definitely be counseling. If, after a counseling and month long waiting period, the person still wants to go through with it, then so be it. And, again, people who do that over and over and never go through with it would be removed from normal society and given some sort of special treatment for the dehabilitating mental condition that they have.

A question, though- should minors be allowed to do that? Most of the time it is teenagers who want to kill themselves, and it's often because of hormones in the brain and suchlike. Should it be without necessarily having parental permission?

That seems sort of stupid. When the medical treatment doesn't do any real good, like chemotherapy for a terminal cancer patient, then it does make more sense to let them enjoy their last few months. On the other hand, if it's a person who is could be saved or at least helped by medical treatment that isn't physically scarring in some way, then it's sheer idiocy not to take it. Doctors should be allowed to administer whatever medicines necessary to minors unless it has a risk associated with it that is disproportionate to the severity of the disease. Adults, I suppose, can make their own decisions.

3) DNR request
The person's not really alive there, so it's not really killing someone. To me, though, a DNR as written seems silly. I'd rather have it be something like DNKAOMIICBDACRL/ANRL (do not keep on machines if i'm brain dead and can't really live/am not really living.) Of course, DNR is a much nicer little acronym.

I think that I covered this under not accepting medical treatment.

Those cover it pretty well!

Thanks for changing the poll, mini. Your new avvy is awesome, btw.

--------------------

Sig and tag by Nil-Chan
Punctuation, spelling, and general grammar are our friends! Don't look like an idiot, and be sure not to use numbers in words or toss random Japanese words into sentences where they don't belong.

+Quote Post
asunder
post May 18 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

A question, though- should minors be allowed to do that? Most of the time it is teenagers who want to kill themselves, and it's often because of hormones in the brain and suchlike. Should it be without necessarily having parental permission?

If it's not medically pertinent, terminal cancer, life on a ventilator or on dialysis.......then it shouldn't have to do with doctors. These kids need counselling or they could just kill themselves on their own. Their parents / guardians probably have control of their medically related decisions in any case.

for #2
This could be for religious or cultural reasons. Still it's a personal decision. Plus even in the case of minors, Doctors need consent of either the patient or their medical proxy for all medically related decisions. They are ethically and legally held to this.

for #3
If a patient goes under cardiopulmonary arrest, You can't use resucitation, cardioversion or intubation on them if they have a DNR written in advance. This includes using defibrilators to stop cardiac arrest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
zombie
post May 24 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #21

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 15,609

Thought I would tell you that I stoped reading at this point
QUOTE(DZBrick6 @ May 14 2006, 08:53 AM) [snapback]394794[/snapback]

My own personal opinion, harsh as it may be:

If somebody wants out of the game of Life that badly, so be it. I don't particularly care what the reason is, either, sick and dying, mentally or physically ill, even 'I'm so depressed, my boyfriend dumped me'...if you're willing to quit that easily, then get on with it. One less in the gene pool...

I'm with you oon this one.

If you are to help someone commit suicide it gets called murder

+Quote Post
AndroidLust
post May 25 2006, 01:51 PM
Post #22

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 15,086

I have no problem with assisted suicide as long as the person being killed has decided on it himself. If you wanna kill yourself, fine. Now, when the person being killed has no say in it...

QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ May 13 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]394744[/snapback]

Terry Shiavo was dead. All that was being kept alive was a body which could eat, sleep, and go through the motions of living, but the actual person was dead. All of her brain but for her medula (which controls simple bodily functions) was dead, and she couldn't feel emotions or actlike a person or anything. It's just a hunk of meat, not really a person, and just a body that's only alive because of machines isn't really alive.

I know I`m a bit late responding on this and I don`t want to start an argument over this. I just wanted to say that this comment brought me to tears. "It`s just a hunk of meat"? Really, how could you say that about another human being. It`s sad really...

--------------------

Darling you can bet to see my ghost up on the wall, watching you eat. Yeah, its true, I dream about you too, grinding my mouth, losing my teeth. You are exactly what a night-mare`s for. I'll night marry you.

+Quote Post
asunder
post May 25 2006, 01:53 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE(AndroidLust @ May 25 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]400856[/snapback]

Terry Shiavo was dead. All that was being kept alive was a body which could eat, sleep, and go through the motions of living, but the actual person was dead. All of her brain but for her medula (which controls simple bodily functions) was dead, and she couldn't feel emotions or actlike a person or anything. It's just a hunk of meat, not really a person, and just a body that's only alive because of machines isn't really alive.

I know I`m a bit late responding on this and I don`t want to start an argument over this. I just wanted to say that this comment brought me to tears. "It`s just a hunk of meat"? Really, how could you say that about another human being. It`s sad really...

I guess you've never been around dead bodies...or cadavers...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post May 25 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #24

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

QUOTE(AndroidLust @ May 25 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]400856[/snapback]

Attitudes like these annoy me to no end. The blind sentimentalism.

--------------------

+Quote Post
quiddityofquid
post May 25 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #25

Apprentice

Member No.: 22,739

Sorry to say this, but when someone reaches that state they ARE pretty much a hunk of meat. What makes us 'human' the way most people see it is our mind or, if you want to get religious, our souls. At that point she was a breathing lump of flesh. Not what I would consider to still be a person.

+Quote Post
trecia
post May 28 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #26

Alchemists

Member No.: 36,367

well, i would probably assist in it if the person or the family of the person gives the go signal. of course after the counseling (<--- is that the correct spelling?) i would have to consider if the person is terminally ill. assisting in suicide can also mean not doing anything or removing therapy. there are do-not-resuscitate (<-- is this the correct spelling? sorry, im dumb today) orders from the patient himself... though it may seem inhuman, but there are views from theorists in bioethics that support euthanasia (even suicide)...

--------------------
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

"It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting." -The Alchemist; Paulo Coelho

"Every book has a great love story that would never happen in reality, but once you fall in love, reality becomes a story better than any other book." -from an episode in Boys Be

"I would rather be a ghost drifting by your side, as a condemned soul, than enter heaven without you… Because of your love, I will never be a lonely spirit" -crouching tiger hidden dragon

+Quote Post
Le Monkey
post Jun 4 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #27

Major General

Member No.: 2,167

QUOTE(AndroidLust @ May 25 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]400856[/snapback]

When you get to that state you are dead, all thats left is a functioning corpse, the human part of you is gone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jun 8 2006, 09:03 AM
Post #28

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5056326.stm

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Le Monkey
post Jun 11 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #29

Major General

Member No.: 2,167

Thank you popo, and Finaly someone has called for it again

--------------------

+Quote Post
GREEDisGOOD
post Jan 22 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #30

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,729

I believe we were created by God. We have no right to decide when someone lives or dies. No matter how bad the situation is, it's God's decision when that person dies.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 05:05 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css