HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Assisted Suicide & Euthanasia, Terri Schivao, and other cases
Assisted Suicide
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
fma lover stef
post May 13 2006, 01:25 PM
Post #1

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
From: You know that annoying voice in your head? Yea, Hi!
Member No.: 29,158

What is your opinion on assisted suicide?

Case 1: Terminating the life of a clinically brain-dead person by the decision of others.
Case 2: Assisting the suicide of a person who is terminally ill, or other terminal conditions who is cognitive and capable of making own decision.
Case 3: Assisting the suicide of a person who is otherwise physically able but wishing to commit suicide.

I think "Assisted Suicide" should be allowed if the person wants to.
And, in Terri Schivao's case, IMO, after 2 years or so and they are showing no improvement, assisted suicide should be a recommended option.
If it were me, I don't want to live my life in a hospital bed doing nothing and in that condition. dry.gif
But, at the same time, I wish they made the death quick, not her starving to death.

Recently, my English class had an assignment on debate topics and we had to give a speech on our topic, and this one girl choose Assisted Suicide and the Terri Schivao case.
Beside Terri Schivao case, she showed a clip of a man, about 25 or so, who had mental and physical problems, and at one point the guy in this case was having a really hard time saying "to" in "I want to die", it was that bad.
After showing the clip of this guy, my classmate went back to her speech, and said "I understand that it is a difficult and emotional time and sometimes you want to give up. But to people with problems like (whats his name), I say 'suck it up'! God gave you life and you should be thankful that you have it!"
I was shocked she said that!! ohmy.gif She has no idea what it was like for that guy in the clip, or Terri Schivao and the family, and she has the nerve to say "suck it up" mad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post May 13 2006, 01:38 PM
Post #2

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

If a person is so ill they can't bare to live and need help to die the helper should not face legal action. People should have a right to die.

We have Family Planning clincs for unwanted babies so why not something for peope who want to die?
You offer them counciling, advice, alternate ideas to suicide and let people get an injection to help them die. there should also be time 3 week wait and the option to always say no.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
asunder
post May 13 2006, 01:51 PM
Post #3

Special Ops (Intelligence Officer)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 30,877

Patients have a right to sign a DNR. ( Do Not Resusitate (sp?)). If patients have this legal document in their medical files, it is illegal to try to revive the patient if they are in cardaic arrest or have respiratory problems etc.. You can use this as a precedent of sorts to indicate that the life of the patient and the right to choose life or death is legally bound to that patient. The government/medical community/heck even family play a second fiddle to the rights of the individual in this case.

--------------------
Everytime you post something mind numbingly retarded, this forum crashes.

+Quote Post
MonsterEnvy
post May 13 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 32,500

popo and asu got here first... sad.gif

Anyways...
@fma lover stef - you're citing two COMPLETELY different cases in your post.
I also disagree with the way that the poll is phrased, but the former first.....

Terry Shiavo was dead. All that was being kept alive was a body which could eat, sleep, and go through the motions of living, but the actual person was dead. All of her brain but for her medula (which controls simple bodily functions) was dead, and she couldn't feel emotions or actlike a person or anything. It's just a hunk of meat, not really a person, and just a body that's only alive because of machines isn't really alive. If her husband wanted to keep her alive, then he could have, but he thought that it was horrible that she was being forced to live that way and thought that it was time for her to be done living on machines. He thought that it's what she would have wanted.

The second case, where someone wants to die who is cognitive and somewhat reasoning, and demands to be killed, is more gray. On the one hand, it's not completely right to let them die, but on the other, it's simply what they want. In this case, it's someone who could concievably become better.

The third possible example, which you didn't reference, is the case where a person wants to die for emotional or whatever reasons and is perfectly physically healthy. My opinion here might be considerably colored by emotion, but I say to let them f*cking get it over with. The biggest drain on a social community is a person who constantly threatens suicide and never just does it, either because the person doesn't really want to die or because society won't let them. It's best to do what asu said, and give them counciling.

At some point, though, I think that people like that should just be put in jail where they're not a psychological or physical danger to themselves and others.

Of course, I'm thinking of someone in particular. Don't take me too seriously on that last bit.

----------------------------

~edit~

i forgot about what's wrong with the poll.

The poll, in it's current form, regards only case #2 in my post above. It should definitely include case #1, and possibly even case #3. It also has 'yes' 'no' and 'if the person wants to' insinuating that 'yes' and 'no' are whether the person wants it or not.

A more appropriate poll might be:

When would assisted suicide be permissable?
1) Always, whenever anyone wants it
2) Always, but only after counseling
3) Only if the person has a dehabilitating mental condition
4) Only if the person has a dehabilitating physical condition
5) Only if the person has a dehabilitating mental or physical condition
6) Only if the person is completely brain dead
7) Never

Perhaps a mod should change it?

--------------------

Sig and tag by Nil-Chan
Punctuation, spelling, and general grammar are our friends! Don't look like an idiot, and be sure not to use numbers in words or toss random Japanese words into sentences where they don't belong.

+Quote Post
Le Monkey
post May 13 2006, 03:06 PM
Post #5

Major General

Member No.: 2,167

All the points I was going to raise are already here..
Now what do I say? Oo

---------------------------

QUOTE (MonsterEnvy @ May 13 2006, 02:25 PM) *

7) Never

I also agree these that would be a good idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Migchao
post May 13 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 27,550

I chose if the person wants to because if they want to die, you can't stop them. Kinda like the lady who had drowned her kids because she was sick. That illness, however, affects different people on different levels. A lot of people have had themselves put to sleep because of issues like that.

+Quote Post
fma lover stef
post May 13 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #7

i know that each case is a little different. Terri wasn't by definition, alive. and when they took her feeding tube out, she wasn't really starving to death because she didn't have any brain functions. i think it's just the principal of suffering that i hate.

@MonsterEnvy - in your second case, yea if someone can be cured or helped and it would make life easier, thats great. and hopefully they can hold out that long. (recovery stories make me happy biggrin.gif )but i think it's thier life and if someone is in a situation where help isn't availible, euthanaisa is a peaceful escape.

and with your third case. when someone is perfectly healthy but extreamly depressed, they will usually find some way themselves to take thier own life, they don't need "assistance". but yea i agree that sucidal people like that really do need to "suck it up". life's harsh, deal with it. dry.gif

------------

QUOTE (MonsterEnvy @ May 13 2006, 04:25 PM) *

7) Never

Perhaps a mod should change it?

sure if a mod can change it, yea. it's my first post so i knew something would be wrong with it happy.gif and the i didn't like the way i worded the poll anyway

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post May 13 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #8

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I do believe people should be allowed to die should they really feel life would be too painful to carry on. Its when it comes to those who can't make the decision themselves it gets complicated.

See some families will never want to let a family member die and so will keep them in a vegitaed state. On the other hand they might see it as an easy way to rid themselves of a sick family member.

As others have stated there needs to be strict guidelines, but yes I agree with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sweety_pie
post May 13 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #9

Major General

Member No.: 35,070

QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 13 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]394709[/snapback]

If a person is so ill they can't bare to live and need help to die the helper should not face legal action. People should have a right to die.

We have Family Planning clincs for unwanted babies so why not something for peope who want to die?
You offer them counciling, advice, alternate ideas to suicide and let people get an injection to help them die. there should also be time 3 week wait and the option to always say no.

He does have a point i dont see the differance in killing yourself and killing an unborn baybe, although i do think both are wrong.

--------------------

Thank you so much Milky for the Siggie. You are the awesomest!

+Quote Post
DZBrick6
post May 13 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #10

Apprentice

Member No.: 25,718

My own personal opinion, harsh as it may be:

If somebody wants out of the game of Life that badly, so be it. I don't particularly care what the reason is, either, sick and dying, mentally or physically ill, even 'I'm so depressed, my boyfriend dumped me'...if you're willing to quit that easily, then get on with it. One less in the gene pool...

--------------------
Never underestimate the healing power of butter...

IPB Image

IPB Image<--I am SUPER MOD. Hear me roar...

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post May 13 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #11

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

QUOTE(DZBrick6 @ May 13 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]394794[/snapback]

If somebody wants out of the game of Life that badly, so be it. I don't particularly care what the reason is, either, sick and dying, mentally or physically ill, even 'I'm so depressed, my boyfriend dumped me'...if you're willing to quit that easily, then get on with it. One less in the gene pool...

My sentiments exactly.

I find it quite funny [in a tragic way] that Terri Schiavo, who didn't exactly match the medical definition of being 'alive', became the centerpiece of this debate. Usually when you're talking about assisted suicide, you're talking about people who are alive, but in intractable pain. Terri had no capacity to feel pain in her state. But then there were people who tried to convince the rest of us that she was like a character from Monty Python... 'feeling much better'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sharingan Serpen...
post May 14 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #12

Brigadier General

Member No.: 31,168

Hmmm very interesting subject...

I hope someone will do this to me in the future if it seems that theres no hope... :thinks:

However it must be of that person decision if they have to end their life...they can either make that decision by Volentary Euthanasia or InVoluntary Euthanasia...

Really makes you think...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post May 15 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #13

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 7,890

Ok everybody I went ahead and updated to poll. Since fma lover stef liked Monster Envys poll options I went ahead and used those. Vote again everybody since they've been reset.

QUOTE(some moron)
"I understand that it is a difficult and emotional time and sometimes you want to give up. But to people with problems like (whats his name), i say 'suck it up'! God gave you life and you should be thankful that you have it!"

This is the most ignorant thing I've heard in a long time. People have a really screwed up view of life. Oh, you're suffering from a terminal disease? You suffer 24-7? Be happy! You're alive!! laugh.gif dry.gif

Just because your heart is beating and you're breathing doesn't mean you're really living. What about the quality of life? In this country especially we value quanity rather than quality of life and because of this people have to suffer. It's much like the abortion debate really if you think about it.

+Quote Post
fma lover stef
post May 15 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (some moron)
"I understand that it is a difficult and emotional time and sometimes you want to give up. But to people with problems like (whats his name), i say 'suck it up'! God gave you life and you should be thankful that you have it!"

This is the most ignorant thing I've heard in a long time. People have a really screwed up view of life. Oh, you're suffering from a terminal disease? You suffer 24-7? Be happy! You're alive!! laugh.gif dry.gif

exactly!! thank god someone agrees with me!! dry.gif i was almost scared when the class didn't react to that remark at all. blink.gif hopfully they just wern't listening tongue.gif

----------------------------

QUOTE (Envy's lil' miniskirt @ May 15 2006, 06:08 PM) *
Ok everybody I went ahead and updated to poll. Since fma lover stef liked Monster Envys poll options I went ahead and used those. Vote again everybody since they've been reset.

thank you!!! happy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Le Monkey
post May 15 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #15

Major General

Member No.: 2,167

QUOTE(sweety_pie @ May 13 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]394775[/snapback]
He does have a point i dont see the differance in killing yourself and killing an unborn baybe, although i do think both are wrong.

Please dont bring the "Abortion" thread into this one please!

QUOTE(DZBrick6 @ May 13 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]394794[/snapback]

Perfectly correct there!

QUOTE(fma lover stef @ May 15 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]395808[/snapback]
exactly!! thank god someone agrees with me!! dry.gif i was almost scared when the class didn't react to that remark at all. blink.gif hopfully they just wern't listening tongue.gif

Now I remember what I forgot to inlude in my first post, I agree with that!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 11:31 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css