HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Swearing, In a modern society does it still shocking?
ἀρχή
post Mar 12 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #121

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,228

In my opinion, swearing appears to be about social psychology (programming). you can increase your sensitivity to swearing by decreasing your use and your exposure to it siginificantly. I did this a long time ago and over time found myself extremely sensitive to many words that I had used a lot. Obviously the exact opposite is true in that you can completely desensitize yourself to it as well.

I think its purpose is to provoke an emotional response using the shortest amount of syllables (and letters). Once the emotional provocativeness is lost, the words cease to be meaningful other than as needless "fillers". Technically many words we use all the time actually have no meaning in context anyway. They end up purely to be used for social reasons (to shock those outside your social networks - acts as a kind of "keep away" to those who can't deal with it, to show a range of comfort in certain social contexts - i.e. swearing is a way to fit in even when it's fitting in with those outside your normal social group)

In the professional world, you want to keep your swearing to a minimum in public, but in private, it's normally fine (even the worst of it except racial slurs, which will get you fired). It's an interesting phenomena to see a normally well respected manager swearing regularly in a private conversation.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Mar 13 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #122

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

I've found that cursing works in adding emphasis to certain proclamations.
Like, in the homogay thread, I suggested yukieiri pull her coach aside and tell him to 'tone [his behavior] the f*ck down.' Adding 'f*ck' to the sentence conveys a greater sense of anger/frustration than simply saying, 'tone it down.' One is simply more proactive than the other.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ゆきえいり
post Mar 13 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #123

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 43,697

Most definately, but it can also be an action. Like "f--- off". "Off" by itself would make no sense.

--------------------
Zoom Zoom Zoom on the Boom Boom.

~*^-------------------------------------------^*~

My Forum Family (Hah): Illusionist_Alchemist (IDENTICAL twin)

+Quote Post
Scythoro
post Mar 13 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #124

Apprentice

From: 30 37' 56" Lat. and -87 2' 22" Long. at home or 30 33' 3" Lat. and -87 13' 13" at school
Member No.: 45,253

QUOTE(Abstruse Eulogy @ Mar 13 2007, 06:53 PM) [snapback]517477[/snapback]
I've found that cursing works in adding emphasis to certain proclamations.
Like, in the homogay thread, I suggested yukieiri pull her coach aside and tell him to 'tone [his behavior] the f*ck down.' Adding 'f*ck' to the sentence conveys a greater sense of anger/frustration than simply saying, 'tone it down.' One is simply more proactive than the other.

I don't agree with cursing in a normal conversation and I believe it shows a persons ignorance nine times out of ten. But using curse words to convey importance does make sense. Unless the person is prone to curse all of the time then using it in a sentence would grab the other persons attention. Alternatively, if the person does consistently use vulgar language then the point would be lost and the person would gain the label of ignorant.

+Quote Post
Kenji
post Mar 14 2007, 03:40 AM
Post #125

Brigadier General

Member No.: 44,341

Face the reality....sometimes... some friends won't let you have the attention you needed unless you start inserting swear words in your conversation... I did that often when I hang around with talkative and tend-to-intercept-conversation friends...

+Quote Post
ゆきえいり
post Mar 14 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #126

Me too. And I still do. It's become a habit. It's difficult not to curse around my parents. It's grown on me, I guess you could say. I also picked it up from my dad, who curses constantly. Whenever I get in an arguement with my mum and accidentally curse, she'll go off on me and ask me who taught me. Then I'd say, "Your husband." and leave her there, steaming.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy II
post Mar 15 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #127

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,400

I don't really see what's wrong with swear words. They're so losely defined by society, it's a stupid matter.. They're just words. Usually taken out of their original context.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Mar 15 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #128

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

They're just words.

That's a crappy defence. The American Bill of Rights is just words, so is the Magna Carta and the Declaration of Independence. Swear all you want, I'll join you but don't say they're just words as if it means they have no power.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
ゆきえいり
post Mar 15 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #129

If words were just words, then no one would be heart broken when their bf/gf tells them, "I'm seeing another person." No one would be p*ssed when their best friend gets in an arguement with them and curses at them and calls them hurtful names.

--------------------

+Quote Post
miracle_flame_al...
post Mar 16 2007, 03:47 AM
Post #130

State Alchemist (Major)

From: Somewhere in Ametris, under the command of Col. Roy Mustang
Member No.: 36,403

For me Swearing isn't much of a problem bec. I swear even if I'm still 12 my parents allow me as long as there is a reason for using such words but I never use

N*gger, Gollyw*g, W*G, Ch*nk and other racial swear words are ones I don't like. While other wors are just informal these words are souly for insults. N*gga may be an exception as it's been toned down and used by the very people it was meant to put down. It's become the black version of White Trash IMO.

since these words have no excuse to be used at all. Also words that refer to genitals are just used to make people feel less perverted or at least not use the word itself so that they fell a bit comfortable saying the said genitals. So in truth Swearing has its ups and downs but should be used in proper situations or at least not against another person in a rude way such as racism.

And well swearing helps sometimes in saying terms that are sometimes quite hard to express like when you want someone to be quiet but won't listen to you even when you say it politely to them already then say shut up and they mostly listen to you since your words are already expressing slight anger or frustration as just Absruse Eulogy-san has said already.

So I really don't think there's harm in using these words at all.

--------------------

-Dogs of the Military- PM me to join my family!!
Currently: Watching Code Geass!
Honorable Third Seat of the Anti-Inoue Squad !! ^_^
Check My DeviantArt Account/Profile and my drawings!! ^_^
My Multiply My LiveJournal

+Quote Post
Amalthea
post Mar 19 2007, 09:01 AM
Post #131

Alchemists

Member No.: 44,604

When it comes to movies and TV, I really don't think it matters at this point, in my eyes. Although after seeing the South Park movie years ago, everything seems pretty mild and tame. tongue.gif Now, by this I don't mean that all censors should be taken off. What I meant was I think it's silly to mark a movie as R just because of foul language. I mean, yeah, children get influenced easily, but teenagers aren't going to be affected by language in the same way.

However, it DOES matter whose presence you're in when you swear. If you're with your friends, sure, go ahead, I do all the time. If you're confronting someone of authority, like a teacher, police officer, etc., swearing just makes you look uncivilized and completely disrespectful, so that's a no-no.

--------------------

Thank you, Ms. Arakawa, for sharing this wonderful, enriching story that has affected so many of us!

+Quote Post
Alchemical
post Apr 15 2007, 09:44 AM
Post #132

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 44,852

I usually swear freely, but I down-right refuse to swear in front of my mother, senior citizens, and few others of my family and friend's parents. Otherwise, I'm a firecracker laugh.gif

The worst swear word to me is 'f*ck' and I don't say it as much.

And even though I was rebel born and raised, I don NOT use raciest remarks.

+Quote Post
ed_drink_your_mi...
post Apr 15 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 39,252

I think that a person's view on curse words depends on how they are used in their life. For example, my mom curses for everything, and not quietly, but never at anyone, just in general, so it doesn't really bother me. My dad, on the other hand, had an alcoholic mother who cursed at him all the time, and thus, he gets insulted just hearing someone say 'jerk'.

About them having power, I think they only have as much power as people give them. I know people who curse so often it's the equivalent of a valley girl and the word 'like' and it ends up not meaning anything except an extra emphatical adjective. They are just words, no matter how much power you think they have because the power is all superficial. If I decided today that 'lamp' was extremely offending and told everyone I knew, I'm giving a seemingly innocent word "power" and bam, 'lamp' might one day be used to offend people. Now, they do have power now that it's been given, so they aren't normal words anymore, but if people were to stop using them as insults, eventually their power would diminish and they would be 'normal' words again.

--------------------
Apprentice and fellow Button Klutz to Seventh_sky *grubbly fist* [stolen]

^<3 Zarp^

+Quote Post
esrz22
post Apr 15 2007, 05:44 PM
Post #134

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 42,735

Swearing doesn't bother me at all. I do, however, self-censor, often humously. (F-word becomes "hug")

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2016 - 07:07 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css