Watching You Grow, Following the Manga & Brotherhood, EdxWin
Rating 5 V
Summerlover01
post Apr 20 2007, 05:50 PM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,145

Very impressive chapter Chiyo. I love how you kept everyone in character and portrayed what they thinking. Awesome chapter again. I happily await your next chapter. Keep up the amazing work! laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

~ When life gives you lemons, squirt the lemon in life's eye and demand the oranges you asked for. ~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jul 2 2007, 06:47 AM
Post #32

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Holy carp, I finally update. Based upon chapter 71, its probably going to be quite a dull read as very little really happens. So sorry, I'm waiting to do chapter 72 till I've read 73 at least so I can write from Winry's POV easier. Also Brotherhood spoilers up to ep 39.

Its short too, but I missed out alot of coversation from this chapter that really wasn't needed.

Edit: January 18th 2010

'Hey Ed, look at what I…' Winry started to say before realising Edward was no longer there. Apart from a couple of guards they had all left and she hadn't even noticed. The tool that was in her hand weighed a great deal and with a deep sigh she set it back down. Perhaps it was for the best. After all, no matter how hard she may try she would never get anyone very interested in mechanics.

'Miss Rockbell,' one of the guards said, 'Will you please follow me.'

'Are you taking me to Edward?' she asked a little too hastily, 'I mean…erm…Mr Elric?'

'He is talking about important matters that are for his ears only. I will take you to the room adjacent to him.'

She smiled politely and indicated she was willing to follow. She had a gut feeling the word "important" was code for "dangerous". She would gather as much information as she could. If that came to nothing, she could always smile sweetly at Kimbley and get him to spill everything he knew.

The soldier walked her through the room where Edward sat. He nodded to acknowledge she was there but didn't say a word to her.

'Ah Miss Winry,' Kimbley greeted, 'I must apologise for keeping you secured in the room next door. Mr Elric was most insistent you were nearby.'

She looked back down at Edward but he focussed his gaze upon the wall. She thanked them both and assured Kimbley it was no trouble.

As she strolled into the next room with the door shut behind her she felt a familiar uneasiness gurgle in her stomach. She looked through the glass window at Edward, still sat with his eyes trained forward and his arms folded. It was a pose she was all too well accustomed too; she liked to call him "The Stubborn Seat".

The guard offered her a tea and she accepted with some caution. Since she had arrived she had no reason to be suspicious about anyone but Ed seemed to believe she did. She strained her ears as she sipped her tea but all she could hear were mumbles. This was until Ed gave a cry.

'There's no way I can do that!'

When she looked toward the door the guard indicated for her not to raise herself to her feet. She trained her ears even harder to catch the follow up but she didn't hear anything after that but the low murmurings of Kimbley and Edward.

When she was allowed to see Ed again he and Al were back in the cell she had found them in. She and Ed had now dressed to go back into the cold weather and she assumed they were finally leaving this cold hole in the wall.

'Winry, sit down,' Edward instructed and she did so. After she started at him expectantly for what seemed like so long he finally spoke again.

'I'll say it straight. Winry, right now, you're in a hostage situation.'

She almost laughed at him before almost telling him to shut up. To avoid doing either she turned to Al.

'Eh…what? What does he mean Al? What kind of joke is this?'

When Al didn't answer she turned her attention back to the one who'd said it, 'Hey Ed, what is this, explain it to me!'

'It's not a joke,' he answered sternly, 'I'm being requested to work as a human weapon from above…'

'That's…!'

'Right…I might have to help commit mass murder.'

Her anger bubbled over, 'You should just refuse to do something like that…!' That's when it hit her and she finally realised the truth, 'Ah, and that's why I'm…'

She tried to calculate in her head how they had come to that point. Her fear for Ed's safety had brought her to this place as swiftly as a bird in flight. They had planned that she would come and now they were using it against the Elric brothers. Why was it that whenever she wanted so desperately to be near them it was always an advantage to someone else?

'I hate this, I'm being a burden to you two,' she sighed, lowering her eyes so they would not see the guilt buried beneath them.

'D…d…don't cry!' Ed demanded but she quickly silenced him. These were not tears of sorrow but they were anger and frustration at her own stupidity. She had lived long enough to not trust the kindness of strangers.

She listened with new meaning to Ed explain what would happen next. When she heard him accept Kimbley's deal it was hard for her to believe Ed would go ahead with such a thing until Al confirmed that he would not.

In a strange way, Scar became a small beacon of hope for Winry at that moment. Although she did not trust that such plans would work, Scar was no longer, in her mind, the man who could take away all she held dear. Instead he was now the man who could return Ed's limbs and Als' body without the guilt of knowing many lives had been lost in return. In her mind she hatched a plan and trotted along with Ed and Al to the car that would be taking them to Scar.

Ed rolled his eyes in mild disgust at Kimbley ordering the men about. Since she had done it with such silence and ease, Ed was unaware of Winry until she had squashed herself tightly in the car next to him.

'Why are you here?' he cried as he felt himself being squashed next to Al even harder.

'It's so tight! Al, move over a little more!' was her reply.

Through his head ran a thousand ways to get her out of the car, until it occurred to him she was being sneaky. Winry was known for caring for those she gave auto-mail to so she was playing on this reputation to get out of the fortress. He threw in a comment of his own to play along and convince Kimbley further. Their hard work paid off. With a few false tears they even made Darius feel bad.

She was good, she was really good.

Winry had to admit to herself she wasn't a perfectly behaved child, but deceiving the military was a new thrill. As uncomfortable as it was being bounced around inside Al's armour body she felt the temptation rise within her to giggle at their deception. She could just about make out Ed running along side his brother; a surprisingly quiet and elegant runner when he felt the need to be. She had no idea of what was to come, nor how it would affect her new found feelings for a certain metal limbed male.

One change came quicker than she thought and it came in the form of a young girl hurtling herself into Al. Once Winry had recovered from a rather sore bump to the head she noticed something quite clearly. Ed was too dumb to see it, Al was too innocent and everyone else was too distracted to notice the gleam in little Mei's eyes when she looked at all. Winry, for all the love she had in her would never be able to love Al in quite the way she did Edward. But now, she had nothing to feel guilty about. For Mei to fall so head over heels in love with Al in the form he was in proved what a good soul she must be. She had seen past the physical to the soul within. Winry almost swooned with the romance of it all, but now was not the time to start getting sentimental.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Jul 15 2007, 10:04 PM
Post #33

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

Nice to see more of your works, Chiyo! I love your manga based stories on EdWin! They are so hard to find. Thanks.

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jul 16 2007, 03:32 AM
Post #34

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Chiyo - Awesome writing!! It's like reading FMA manga side story!!
I enjoy reading it very much!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chibi_Girl29
post Aug 20 2007, 03:36 AM
Post #35

Apprentice

Member No.: 44,004

omg !!You did a really good job !You have a real talent for this !You should ask Hiromu arakawa-sama to let you tell your works.
And i really liked it because the story's like a real work from hiromu arakawa.
I loved the part when Winr's having nightmare when she was small, she goes to ed's room and formed a ritual It was sooo Cutte !!
Can you make more ?! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Aug 21 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #36

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

Chiyo: Lovely job with your latest chapter. You handle characterizations so well, and your writing meshes so fluidly with the scenes presented in the manga. I really like how you make Winry out to be a strong character in all of your writings. I look forward to reading the next chapter!

--------------------

+Quote Post
chibi_cherry 29
post Oct 12 2007, 02:32 PM
Post #37

Citizen

Member No.: 52,138

it is really good and i like it i hopeu update it soon biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Celeste Nayamash...
post Oct 31 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #38

Alchemists

Member No.: 52,278

OMG Chi, I just went through and read all your stories! You must write more! I love these so much! <3

--------------------

My DeviantArt My Fanfiction
Siggy made by me! EdxWin is <3 Avatar made by CeruleanSan <3
"Even when our eyes our closed, there's a whole world out there, that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."
Formerly known as WinryRockbell_83

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Nov 2 2007, 08:40 AM
Post #39

Moderator Emeritus

An update...haha...I'm writing a novel but still managed to update this! Its getting a bit long so I have stopped where I have for now. This follows manga till mid-way through 73. Enjoy

Edit 13th June 2009! I have re-written this chapter, by accident technically, but I'm happier with this version. Now slowly re-editing all previous work.

‘Mei-Chan, are you all right? I heard you scream…’

The voice came from a man who had been horribly disfigured by what looked like burns. She had seen many horrific injuries connected with her line of work, but never such substantial damage to the face. It must have been impossible to recognise him as the man he was before he had been so cursed.

Suddenly another character joined in the discussion. It was in moments like this that Winry recalled what an extensive group of people the brothers met on their travels. Here they were in the midst of the most unique group of people and they all seemed to know them quite well.

‘Can we all just calm down?’ Al finally chipped in, ‘let’s talk while we can.’

After finding an empty building they gathered in a circle and Winry pulled up a crate to sit on. She tried not to tire as they began to talk about alchemy as she knew it was important at this stage. It was hard to concentrate when she clearly wasn’t a part of the conversation and was easily pulled away by the sound of one name and a commotion near-by.

‘What was that?’ Marcoh, the burned man asked.

‘No idea,’ Ed mumbled, looking out of one of the windows, ‘Winry, Marcoh and co. stay hidden. We’ll go take a look.’

‘The Northern Army is here looking for Scar. They might have made contact,’ Al added before the pair of them disappeared.

She hadn’t misheard before. The being that had caused her so much pain was once again near to her; he was once again taking them away from her! Not again, her heart couldn’t take it again.

With her eyes transfixed on the doorway they left through, her legs began to take slow and unsteady steps to follow them. Her brain became a nightmarish whirl of all the outcomes that could occur if the brothers met with Scar again. The scenes played over and over in such a rush that nothing was clear anymore.

‘Where are you going, Winry-chan?’ the young and gentle voice of Mei asked behind her.

‘Air…’ she sighed in reply, ‘I need air.’

In such an open space it was clear she was lying but they didn’t question her. Only moments ago she was a stranger to them, even a love rival, but the childhood friend of the Elric brothers was given the respect of a good friend and left alone.

They weren’t far. She could hear the fighting and see flashes of alchemy. Even at this point she wandered in a daze at a slow and uncalculated pace. It was instinct alone that pushed her into danger and toward that inevitable meeting with the man who had taken so much from her.

‘You idiot, why did you come?’

She was brought back into the present by the sound of his angry voiced. The brief flash of his golden eyes clashing with Scars red stare brought out the illogical need to run to him. She didn’t get far before a stern looking man in a military uniform stopped her in her tracks. It stopped the fight and restarted her heart.
Edward had secured Scar’s right arm thus he was momentarily not in danger.

It was at this point she finally took in the alien creatures lying battered on the floor. The man in the dark uniform, referred to by one of the other men as Miles, commented about their origin. They were not human but they are not what kept her gaze. When she saw Miles point a gun at Scar she became all too aware of what she must do to finally let go of the anger she had been holding on to.

Once again letting her legs do the thinking she walked straight at Scar with a steely determination and a calm resolve. Even when Al’s hand grabbed her shoulder and Ed snatched at her arm she didn’t flinch.

‘Winry,’ Al cried.

‘Stupid! Don’t go near him!’ Edward added.

She took a breath, ‘Let go, it’s okay.’

Though Alphonse complied, Edward gripped even harder and shouted once more.

‘Like hell it’s okay!’

‘Please, let us talk,’ she sighed, ‘I’ve been wanting to talk to him face to face.’

With one final last squeeze she felt Ed let go of her arm. She couldn’t blame him for being angry with her after what happened last time. She wasn’t sure if she could detect panic in his voice but as she took another tentative step forward he remained quiet.

With her eyes looking deep into his, she asked Scar, ‘Why did you kill mom and dad?’

He paused for a moment, ‘No matter what I say it would only be an excuse. It is a fact that I killed the husband and wife doctors named Rockbell. I have no right to say anything on this matter. However girl, you do have the right to judge me.’

She wasn’t sure what answer she had expected. He hadn’t set in stone the real reason for his actions but something in his reply told her this was all she would ever need to know. Oh she could demand him to clarify but she knew he would never relinquish a reason.

Her eyes broke away from his face and fell on his left arm, which was bleeding profusely. Before she really knew what she was doing she had torn a strip of material lose and found herself kneeling before the man who had taken so much from her.

‘You’re arm,’ she told him, ‘if we leave it like this you’ll bleed do death.’

She barely heard Ed call out her name and didn’t turn to him when he dropped down beside her. Aware his expression was one of worry but unable to look at him she set to her task. As she pulled the tourniquet tight she mumbled;
‘Mom and dad would probably have done this too. And you’re someone that they let live. I think there must be some kind of meaning in that.’

‘Are you saying, you’ll forgive me?’

She flared up and met Scar’s eye’s again, ‘Don’t misunderstand me! I won’t forgive something so outrageous.’

She looked away once again and finished tying the final knot. She had barely stood upright before Ed’s arm was across her chest and easing her slowly backward and out of harms way. He had control of her body now for she was too tired to fight anymore. She could feel two pairs of eyes on her, staring at her expectantly.

‘It’s okay, I won’t cry,’ she reassured them, flashing a weak smile, ‘because we promised that the next time I cry, they’ll be tears of joy.’

With those words she felt the world lift itself off her shoulders. As she drooped with the sheer weight of it all she felt Ed’s hand affectionately on her head and she allowed her body to fall against his. His arm slid down round her shoulders and she rested her head slightly on his shoulder. There was a peace in her soul she hadn’t known before and all she wanted at that moment was to envelop herself in his protection.

‘Her Scar,’ Ed growled, keeping Winry secure by his side, ‘Winry might be fine with this, but as for us, we still want to punch your lights out and drag you in front of the graves of the Rockbells if we can.’

He meant every word of it and with Scar trapped he had every opportunity to carry his threat out. With Winry feeling so small under his arm though he knew it was time to let it go. For today at least. Keeping one ear on the conversation between Major Miles and Scar he turned back to look at Winry. He ducked his head lower to try and catch her eye. She raised hers to meet his and gave a gentle nod to indicate she was all right. He could only admire her strength and hope she never lost that heart.

‘Why does one with Ishbalan blood take part in the National Military?’

Scar’s question made them all turn to look at Miles. They waited expectantly and the Major took a deep breath.

‘To change the way people think about Ishbalans from within the country.’

Scar didn’t seem taken aback by this, ‘I don’t think that peoples minds can be changed so easily.’

‘You’re right,’ Miles accepted, ‘I don’t know how long it will take. But it is because it is I, one of mixed race, that it can be done. Let us say that my body is one stone of Ishbal that has been cast into Amestris’s National Military. Before long, that ripples that arise from the one small stone that was cast will grow into a great ring. And as for the one that made me realise that it’s worth throwing my life into the Military…ironically she’s pure Amestrian.’

Winry watched the words soak in to Scar and wondered how one who so hated the military would take the words of one of his own that was part of that hate.

‘I am a pus named hatred that was born in that rebellion,’ Scar started with a dark voice, ‘I don’t prey to God or look back. As pus it would be suited for me to be like pus and rot without hope of being saved by God and disappear into the gutter,’ he glanced up at Miles, ‘I’m glad people like you exist.’

As the Major called for back up, Winry lost herself in thought. Scar had a self-loathing she never could have believed. She had thought someone who took life as he did would hold some sense of great importance. This was a man who loathed his own existence.

‘Miss, hurry and get away from here,’ Major Miles called out, waking her up, ‘we can’t let you be captured by Kimberly again.’

‘Please! Please don’t take that man away!’

They all whipped round at the sound of Marcoh’s voice. Its painful rasp was highlighted by volume and panic. Just behind him stood Mei with an unsettled look on her face.

‘Who are you?’ Major Miles inquired with a gun pointed in Marcoh’s direction.

Ed took a sharp breath, ‘No-one special…’

‘It’s okay Edward Elric,’ Marcoh interrupted, ‘I shall explain.’

Major Miles listened carefully as their new guests were explained to them. He nodded and fell silent as he considered all their problems.

‘Let’s wrap things up here,’ he finally said, ‘They can’t know about Marcoh being here and if we’re going to decipher this research, Scar can’t stay here either.’

He sighed and turned toward Winry, his glasses shading his now tired eyes, ‘We must also help Miss Rockbell escape her situation as Central’s hostage and we can’t have them find out about our alliance with the Elric brothers. Finally,’ he said, turning to Mei, ‘I have been ordered to take the alchemy girl back to the fort.’

Mei tucked herself behind Al and in a terrified whisper asked, ‘What are you getting at?’

‘Relax, we’ll treat you with the uttermost courtesy,’ Miles replied. Turning back to look at the group he suggested, ‘Our best option would be to get to Briggs in one group and hide there.’

Ed leaped to action after realising the suggestion was they take Scar alone. Winry understood why they had to take him along and willed her inner demon to hold off its lust for justice. She even leaped to the defence of the chimera’s when it was suggested they should be killed. She didn’t have to explain why they deserved to live for Al did that for them. Another explosion was enough to really out them into action and a stroke of genius from the other man, Yoki, had saved them.

All they had to do was get to the tunnels safely. Winry’s mind went into overdrive when she realised the plan might fall apart right before it was carried out. How exactly would they get out without arousing Kimblee’s suspicion?

‘This…is kinda hard for me to say,’ she mumbled, ‘but what if he see’s Scar taking me hostage. Would that work?’

Even when Ed’s face contorted with disgust she still saw the logic in her plan.

‘You want to release this freak?’ he cried.

Undeterred she carried on, ‘The scenario’s basically “Scar runs off with me while you try and stop him.’

‘Are you nuts?’ both brothers cried.

‘Our lives are in danger!’ Winry retorted, ‘If I need to risk my life so that everyone can escape, then I will! I’m sick of sitting around doing nothing!’

‘We are not letting you go with Scar!’ Ed snapped.

‘Right, you don’t need to take such a huge risk,’ Al added.

The words as the frustration flowed through Winry as easily as her boiling blood.

‘You told me I was involved now too!’ she cried, and with a deep breath screamed, ‘Stop trying to handle everything yourselves!’

She kept her eyes glued to Edwards. As people around them pushed him to make a decision she saw his face twist and turn with the confusion of feelings inside of him. He ducked his head and mumbled something to himself, before cursing so loudly she nearly jumped out of her skin. To her relief he turned away from her toward Scar.

‘Scar! You try anything funny and…’

‘I know,’ Scar calmly interrupted, ‘I’ll keep my word.’

A small part of her wanted to smile in victory. She had finally let out those feelings she had bottled up for so long. It was now her time to help save the lives of others and not even Ed’s glare could dampen her spirit. She began to follow Scar when one of the soldiers stopped her.

‘Wait Miss! Your earrings! They’re metal right? If you leave them in they’ll freeze and you’ll get frost bite!’

How could someone who had to understand metal in cold climbs have forgotten something like that? She fiddled with her earrings to remove them as Ed yelled at her to get a move. It was then she guessed why she had made such a silly mistake. These earrings had been a part of her ever since Edward had given them to her years ago. She’d even put extra holes in her ears so she could wear all of them at once.

‘Ed!’ she called before running down the stairs to him. Grabbing his hand she dropped her precious items into his palm before once again making her exit. Seeing he was looking down at them confused she added.

‘Hold on to those for me. I’ll see you at the fort.’

‘R...right,’ he called over after as she disappeared from sight. With a shrug he secured them in his pocket and prepared to meet Kimbley. All that anger he had felt before was still bottled up inside of him and he needed a release. Leaving Winry in Scar’s care was the last thing he would have dreamed of doing…but he couldn’t argue with the logic of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Celeste Nayamash...
post Nov 3 2007, 08:09 AM
Post #40

Alchemists

Member No.: 52,278

Yay an update! I'm really loving this EdxWin manga writing you have going on Chi! I thought the earrings part in that chapter was so sweet and considering it was Ed who'd given her those earrings (in that omake, can't remember the name offhand) she would find them so special to her. <3 So awesome! I can't wait for more! Hopefully our newest chapter coming up (which I'm DYING for) will you give you some more play with in regards to EdxWin. Keep it up!

--------------------

My DeviantArt My Fanfiction
Siggy made by me! EdxWin is <3 Avatar made by CeruleanSan <3
"Even when our eyes our closed, there's a whole world out there, that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."
Formerly known as WinryRockbell_83

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Nov 6 2007, 08:14 AM
Post #41

Moderator Emeritus

Well we've got a dramatic chapter but I want to wait to see where the next one takes us before I tackle that particular scene.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Nov 20 2007, 08:56 PM
Post #42

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

I hear you! Chiyo. I'm curious if the chimeras will take Ed to Doctor Marco (where Winry is of course! biggrin.gif. ) This will make for some good Ed/Win fanfiction! I really like how you tie your stories in with the manga!

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
AngelHunteress16
post Dec 2 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #43

Citizen

Member No.: 53,868

gah!!! I can only read up to the one before 56!! Curses to the slow english-manga! Oh, well. I loved them so far though!! I have yet to get 14 so I've only read up to like 50 or so...but i loved it so far!! It's very well written. You've got awesome talent!! When I read the others I'll review for them! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jun 12 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #44

Moderator Emeritus

Cripes, has it really been that long? I suppose I could try and update if there's anyone still reading?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 12 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #45

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

I'm reading!! Update, please!! biggrin.gif
(At your leisure, of course. ^^)

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 06:17 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css