Watching You Grow, Following the Manga & Brotherhood, EdxWin
Rating 5 V
Le Monkey
post Nov 15 2006, 06:03 AM
Post #16

Major General

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,167

Perfect as always Chi, I really do like it, the last few lines felt so real and fitted so well.
I really did enjoy all of it.

Well done! XD

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Summerlover01
post Nov 15 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #17

Citizen

Member No.: 17,145

Thanks for updating! I really enjoyed this last chapter it was great insight on what winry was thinking. If you could find it in your heart to continue writing this fic it would mean alot to me. Once again thanks for the update it was another great chapter as usual. keep up the good work. happy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

~ When life gives you lemons, squirt the lemon in life's eye and demand the oranges you asked for. ~

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jan 28 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #18

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Oh my word, an update, and I have to hurry forit looks like Winry may make an appearence again sometime soon. Using snippets from Manga 56 but mostly my own ideas.

Edit: 25th September 2009

Winry found that to be one of the longest train rides she had ever taken. It may have passed a little quicker if she had not had such a huge revelation so quickly. But as it was she was sitting on a train, a few hours from her destination realising she was in love with her childhood friend.

Perhaps her confusion was mixed in with a great deal of relief. Many times over the past few weeks events had occurred which had filled her with emptiness and unknowing. That moment when she had crept into his room suddenly held a whole new meaning and a rather embarrassing one. Perhaps in the back of her mind all she had wanted to do was to see Ed without him knowing about it. He would never tolerate anyone staring at him.

But then he had looked at her hadn’t he? She was pretty darn sure it had not been an innocent gaze even if it was very briefly done. Perhaps her guilt was not very deserved as he had been looking at her the same way.

She let out a small grunt of frustration and hit her hand against her head. There was no point in trying to find evidence that Ed felt anything for her but friendship. She was a sister to him exactly as she was to Al. This ridiculous little infatuation would wear off eventually and she could go back to finding him irritating and geeky…if not maybe a little attractive. She smiled to herself slightly, quite unaware that someone on the train was keeping an eye on her every move.

While Winry spent the hours after their parting thinking about him the same could not be said for Edward. There was no denying his mind was very one track and sentimentality was not one of his strong points. However when the subject of Winry came up just by chance he had time to reflect on the events that had surrounded her recently.

He flexed his auto-mail hand and took a good look at the mechanics of it all. Although he was not completely nave to the world of auto-mail he could never do what Winry could. Much as he wanted his limbs returned to him he got far in life with his auto-mail.

But all too soon his mind was dragged back to the world around him and Winry became a thought in the back of his mind. It wasn’t so much out of sight out of mind…more out of sight out of danger.

When Winry arrived Garfiel was not there. She knew he would not have forgotten and so decided to stay put and wait for him to arrive. It was now she noticed a man sit close to her and keep his eye on her. She recognised him as someone who was sat near to her on the train. It unnerved her to be scrutinized but she knew nothing could happen in a crowded station. She made sure her gaze did not fall his way and trained her eyes on the door for Garfiel.

For a few minutes she felt safe, but as the station began to clear and the man did not leave she felt even worse. She could feel his eyes burning into the back of her skull and she wished harder and harder for Garfiel to arrive. Then suddenly he did appear in the doorway, puffing and panting but squealing in delight when he saw her sat waiting.

‘Oh Winry I am so sorry. I got caught up in a situation I simply could not escape from. I am so relieved you are safe.’

‘Yes I’m fine,’ she managed to say through all his apologies. When she turned to see what the stalker was doing she found an empty spot. She felt a great weight lift from her shoulders and she accepted Garfiel’s arm as he led her back home.

‘Winry dear, could you check this connection on my leg?’

‘My arms beginning to feel heavy, I need a lighter one.’

‘Look at how dusty this joint has got while you’ve been away. It needs a good clean.’

The work load seemed relentless. From the moment she had changed into her overalls people were all over her trying to get her to work on their limbs first. It was in the early hours of the morning before she got to bed that night but even then she did not sleep. She envied how well the Elric brothers readjusted themselves to new surroundings. This bedroom wasn’t even new to her but she had been away long enough to make it feel strange. Perhaps it was being surrounded my half finished auto-mail arms or perhaps it was the strange sounds Garfiel made when he snored. Or maybe, just maybe, it was knowing he wasn’t lying only feet from where she slept. A sudden wave of doom swept over her mind and sleep eluded her for the rest of the night.

After only a few hours worth of sleep Winry was woken by Tetsu at the door with some strong tea. The feeling in her stomach that something was wrong would not leave and so her appetite was quite small. As long as she could throw herself into her work she would be able to get through the day alright.

‘Winry my dear, could you go and fetch some supplies? I’ll finish Hitiko-san off.’

‘No chance am I letting you near me!’

‘Oh be quiet and sit down,’ Garfiel snapped and turning to Winry said ‘Here’s the money, and buy something you want as well. My treat for letting you down.’

‘Oh Garfiel you really don’t have to…’

‘No arguments and no buying any tools. By something befitting the lady you are becoming.’

Winry nodded rather slowly and stepped out of the door while muttering to herself. Garfiel waved her goodbye and turned to Tetsu.

‘When she comes back, make sure to have a strong tea to hand.’

‘Why’s that?’

Garfiel winked at the lad and patted his head, ‘She just looks like she needs a drink.’

No-one could deny Winry knew exactly how to spend money but perhaps what they didn’t know was how hopeless she was at buying for herself. Usually money was spent on tools she wanted to make her work easier. When it came to clothing and cosmetics she was like a child in a sweet shop…she had no idea what to do with herself. There weren’t as many clothing shops in Rush Valley as there were in Central but they still seemed alien to her. She observed woman walking round but found she didn’t like the way and of them looked. She couldn’t follow the fashions of anyone in the military as they were always in uniform when she saw them. The girls at home always looked to homely and as for Grandma.

‘Winry! When did you get back?’

‘Ah, it’s nice to see you again Bunny. I got back yesterday.’

‘Are the Elric brothers with you?’

‘N…no. I came alone.’

‘Aww that’s a shame, Al is fun to talk to. Are they still…?’

‘Looking for the stone,’ Winry quickly interrupted, hoping to diffuse the conversation.

They walked together for a while chatting about this and that. Winry was happy to hear that Baninyah was doing well with her work and making good money. She hadn’t stolen anything since the day Winry had asked her not to.
‘So are you shopping for equipment?’

‘Not exactly,’ Winry admitted, quickly thinking it might have been easier to lie. ‘Garfiel told me to buy something for me…something feminine.’

Bunny giggled for a moment or two and all Winry could do was laugh along. Neither of them was very feminine so all they could do was find the situation comical.

‘Perhaps you could buy some jewellery. You only ever have those hoops in you ears.’

‘Rings aren’t very practical…and a necklace might get caught in…’

‘You aren’t working all the time Winry. C’mon, I know a really good place.’ If Winry thought she was confused before she was kidding herself. The place Bunny had brought her too had a larger selection of jewellery then Winry could ever have imagined.

‘Can I help you?’ a lady asked. She was dressed elegantly and Winry felt like a child next to her. She ducked her head and cleared her throat before explaining her predicament. Although she didn’t want to add she didn’t have enough money for most of the items she had seen already.

‘You have such a pretty face,’ the lady said, ‘so we don’t need to add anything dramatic to your face. And with a light hair colour gold can look out of place. We’ll go look in the silver section.’

Winry looked back at Bunny with a look of terror in her eyes but Bunny just smiled and waved her off. It was no use in trying to fight the inevitable, what Winry was doing now was something grown women did. It would not be too long until Winry would be leaving childhood herself.

‘Here we have a beautiful range of necklaces, ranging from the simple to the jewelled items.’

‘Necklaces aren’t really safe in my area of work.’

‘Then how about a ring? A pretty little diamond would do the job.’

Winry cringed, ‘That’s still not a very good idea.’

She waited for the woman helping her to start getting angry but she didn’t. Instead she suggested buying a charm.

‘A charm?’

‘Well its something beautiful like any piece of jewellery but you don’t have to wear it. You can just keep it safe out of harms way.’

Winry smiled and looked into the counter full of tiny items. Most were objects like a small teddy bear or a tiny ring. She thought she had found the perfect item when she saw a small wrench but then something else caught her eye.

‘Miss, can I take this?’

‘If you wish. It’s a little strange isn’t it my dear? The most popular charm we sell is…’

‘No, this one will do. This one is perfect.’

‘Winry you have a phone call.’

Winry looked up from her work and removed her gloves. She had been back a few hours now and had thrown herself into her work once again. A phone call probably meant Granny had found out she was back in Rush Valley.

‘Winry?’ the voice on the other end of the phone asked.

Her heart skipped about five beats when she heard his voice. Although she had desperately tried to avoid thinking about him; thinking about how much she missed him already; thinking about her revelation on the train he had brought himself right to the front of her concentration.

‘Ed,’ she snapped, composing herself quickly, ‘What? Did you break it?’

‘No,’ he screamed from the other end. Perhaps her judgment had been a little too quick but usually he only called for repairs. She listened as he fumbled with his words ‘It’s just…you know…’

‘What?’ she demanded, trying to contain her panic.

‘I was worried whether you arrived there safely. Was there anyone suspicious following you?’

A dilemma presented itself to Winry. If Edward was asking if someone was following her it must mean he was expecting someone to. She had been followed, or so she thought, but she simply could not tell him. Whether it was the worry she was wrong about the man on the train, or not wanting to worry him she did not know. Whatever it was she knew she could not tell him.

‘Winry, are you okay?’

‘Ed you’re creepy!’ she yelled as loud as her lungs would permit her.

‘What was that…?’

‘The vary fact you’re calling me is weird,’ she carried on, ‘to think that someone who has no delicacy like you would call out of worry. Eeew, is this a change in the weather? Weird.’

She was laying it on thick it had to be said, but it was to cover up her own worry. He wouldn’t be expecting any less from her anyway and at this rate he wouldn’t think anything was the matter.

‘Do you have any idea how worried…!’

‘Thanks,’ she interrupted, ignoring his final cry, ‘I’m glad you called, thanks guys.’

After an awkward goodbye and more assurance she was fine Winry managed to put the phone down. She stood staring down at the phone for a moment or two before fleeing the scene and locking herself in her room. She was already finding it hard to talk to him on the phone…how on earth would she ever face him again? She screamed into her pillow and tried to burn the thoughts of him out of her brain. She didn’t care she might be in danger for all she could think of was him. Thus was the fate of the woman who waits.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Summerlover01
post Feb 1 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #19

Citizen

*gasp* You updated! Thank you so much! I really didnt think you were going to continue, but I'm really glad I was wrong. Interesting chapter, I like it. Keep up the good work and I'm looking foward to your next update. happy.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

~ When life gives you lemons, squirt the lemon in life's eye and demand the oranges you asked for. ~

+Quote Post
TSilver Fox
post Feb 15 2007, 04:19 AM
Post #20

Citizen

Member No.: 12,419

Very nice! but then how could I expect less from you??!
So nice to see your still writing and updating, I highly look forward to your next update.

--------------------
"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody is going to know weather you did it or not."
"Red Dawn!"
The Cosplay Zone.

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Mar 7 2007, 05:53 AM
Post #21

Moderator Emeritus

Finally, I have made it up to date with the manga, from now on I have to wait untill the next chapter comes out....Monday I think. This chapter is shorter than the rest and I'm sorry for that *Manga & Brotherhood spoilers*

Edit: December 21st

She tried not to let the phone call worry her as she carried on with her day. It was clear that something was going on without her knowledge but it was not her place to worry Ed. She had become ever more suspicious of faces she did not recognise for phone calls requesting she made a home visit. In her pocket she carried the charm she had bought, believing with all her heart it would keep her safe. Whenever something frightened her she gently squeezed her charm and felt alright with the world.

She hunted through her old note books to remind herself of home. She had always taken notes when she was little but some had become diary entries. There would be a doodle here and there of Den being chased out of the house by Pinako or of Al crying because he had scraped his knee. Her drawings of Edward always seemed to have more effort put into them as if she knew he would put if she did not get it right. There was even a picture he had scribbled out on one page because she hadn't drawn him tall enough.

She slid the note books back under her bed and reminded herself such days had passed by. She was more an adult each and every day and she could not expect others to come to her rescue for much longer.

When her courage had worked its way back up again she went shopping for equipment. She avoided looking anyone in the eye but did not cower away from quiet streets and empty shops. She knew how to handle herself should anything happen, and you only live once.

She came upon new oil that was on a trial price at one of the markets. It promised shine and strength. She wasn't gullible enough to believe that it would be a guaranteed success but a trial price was a trial price. When she got back she faced her toughest challenge yet…phoning Edward.

She was certain that he would be his usual blank and inelegant self on the phone when she called. He couldn't be so caring twice in a row let alone say something comforting three times. As long as she was blunt with him she wouldn't slip up and declare her undying passion for him. Heck, she'd rather die than let him find out. Perhaps it would just be easier to talk to Al.

When the receptionist informed her that the brothers had left the hotel all the courage she had summoned up fell back onto the pit of her stomach. She clutched the oil she had bought for Al tighter to her side.

'They've checked out of the hotel?'

'Yes, sometime yesterday,' replied the receptionist on the other end of the line.

'Did they say anything?'

'I haven't been told of any messages for you.'

The situation was looking even worse; they only failed to tell her where they were going if they knew it was dangerous.

'Did they say where they were going?'

'They talked about going to Briggs in the North…'

Her ear closed up at that point as she realised the scale of what had happened. Going north meant dangers for Ed he could not possibly have imagined. Certain as she was she had told him about frostbite if his auto-mail got too cold he hadn't paid attention. She put down the phone and cursed his name under her breath.

'What's wrong?' asked Garfiel, 'Are the brothers doing well?'

She brought her hand up to her mouth and avoided chewing on the charm she had hidden in her hand.

'They said Ed is going to the north, just like that,' she said in a choked voice, hearing the words from her own mouth like a death sentence.

'Oh my, that means…' Garfiel started, stopping till Winry looked at him, 'he's going to die.'

With a loud cry from the back of her throat Winry tore upstairs, ignoring the cries of apology coming from Garfiel. For the second time in such a short space she buried her face in her pillow, this time to weep. It wasn't so much the fact that Ed was in the north, but that once again he had endangered himself and it was all her fault. Why didn't she just set him up with the right auto-mail to begin with? Then she wouldn't have to try and keep up with his stupid antics to stop him from getting himself killed. She silently asked whoever was listening to keep an eye on him until she could reach him.

As Edward reached out to take hold of something he felt that sharp pain rip through his auto-mail connections again. Of all people he should have realised the components his limbs were made from grew exceedingly cold. What was even worse was having to phone Winry and ask for more auto-mail from her. He was not so much worried about her temper but rather her safety. He had sworn after the last phone call to avoid communicating with her and keep her as unconnected to him as possible. It was proving to be easier said than done. He needed auto-mail and Winry was the best one to provide it. He wondered if she knew where he was at that time. He had to get new auto-mail or he would only do himself damage. He could not face making her cry anymore; he would phone her in the morning.

The next morning Winry set about making Ed's new limbs. She had dug up all her notes on his measurements and nerve points and all the work she could on auto-mail designed for colder climbs. By midday her eyes and her hands were sore, her stomach pleaded for food and her head for sleep but she just pushed on. Just before he went to bed Garfiel brought her some food and a strong cup of coffee. Her spirits perked up at the sight of him in his face mask and nightie and she felt able to work for a few more hours.

She heard the phone ring but left to it Garfiel to answer. She had her goggles over her eyes and was working on an intricate part.

'Winry…Winry-chan, you have a phone call.'

'Okay,' she replied, trying to hide the frustration in her voice at being interrupted.

'From the military,' Garfiel added.

She removed her goggles from her face and looked toward the door.

'Military?' she muttered, wondering what they would want with her. Then she remembered that there could only be one reason for the military to call her.

Something must have happened with the Elrics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shorebay
post Mar 8 2007, 09:47 AM
Post #22

Citizen

Member No.: 44,333

OMG. I just read all of it. This is realy good work. Keep it up tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Mar 9 2007, 12:51 PM
Post #23

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

Lovely work on this fiction Chiyo. It is nice to see a fan fiction that follows the events of the manga. You do a great job with Winry's characterization, and are able to capture her inner emotions. I look forward to the following chapter. Keep up the great work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Summerlover01
post Mar 10 2007, 04:56 PM
Post #24

Citizen

Thanks for the update Chiyo. I'm looking foward to your next chapter. Good luck. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Mar 18 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #25

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

Good work! I really enjoy your take on the Manga and the emotions behind the characters. It seems hard to find manga based fic. I'm glad to read your stories. smile.gif

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
archangelkatheri...
post Mar 19 2007, 01:01 PM
Post #26

Citizen

Member No.: 43,772

These are some very nice Winry centered fics. There are a few things about her that irked me in the anime, but your portrayal of her in the manga is very well done! Please, keep going.

+Quote Post
Star Alchemist
post Mar 19 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 45,150

This fanfic is great, please continue! biggrin.gif

--------------------
~I am a dog of the military.~
~Alchemist be thou for the people.~
~Phsych!~
~EdXArmony Clubhouse~

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Apr 17 2007, 05:08 AM
Post #28

Moderator Emeritus

Ha, you thought I;d gone away hadn't you? I had a juicy chapter to work with, and I do so hope I've done it justice. I'd like to thank AnimeOldTimer for suggesting that Ed might have been dissapointed that Winry had only come up for the auto-mail. This is my story however, and even if Ed doesn't know, of course that wasn't the case.

Blah blah Manga spoilers for 70 and Brotherhood 37. I'll check spelling and such later. I'm pooped after trying to get this all done.

Edit: 21st December 2009

It had been a little while since she had been on a train. As a matter of fact, her last train journey had taken her away from the Elric brothers and now she was in motion on her way to them. Her worry that they were hurt or in danger had subsided once she had learnt that they were at a military base. It had helped her even more to know Ed would be getting the new auto-mail he needed finally. At her feet was the suitcase containing his new limbs; she didn't want to put them anywhere she couldn't see them. The more she concentrated her focus on the container the more her mind wandered to how she would take to seeing Edward again. She had held herself well enough when she had last spoken to him over the phone, but that was hardly the same as seeing him face to face again. If she felt herself slipping, she could just spend her time with Al instead. Did Al suspect something? He was far more perceptive when it came to emotions than his dim-witted brother.

She shivered right down to her boots. She had been warned it would be cold in the North but she hadn't quite been prepared for what she was fast speeding in to. She hugged her arms around herself and dreamed of a nice warm bed. She dreamt of her bed back at home, back when she was a child on cold stormy night, tucked up next to…

'Dammit Edward!' she screamed to herself, causing the woman who was the same compartment as her to swiftly exit.

When they finally pulled into the station she was greeted by a line of men in uniforms who guided her into a large building close by. One of them informed her someone was arriving to pick her up and then they all fell silent. The feeling of being cold melted into a feeling of dread. She urged whoever was picking her up to arrive quickly and take her to more comfortable surroundings.

Her attention was caught by the sound of the doors opening. Looking up she saw a man dressed smartly with his hair in a ponytail approach. He politely removed and tipped his hat to her.

'I'm sorry for making you wait, I am Zolf J. Kimbley. Is this your bag?' he asked, picking up her heaviest item of luggage.

'Ah, thank-you very much,' she replied, still hesitant about letting her bag out of her sight. She followed him to the car that awaited them and sat herself in the backseat. She remained quiet again until Kimbley spoke to her in fear she would say something wrong.

'Miss Rockbell, you are from Rizembol aren't you?'

'How did you know?' she questioned perhaps a little too sharply, her fears and suspicious taking over her judgment for now.

'I heard from His Excellency the Fuhrer…Miss, Your parents were a husband and wife team of doctors who lost their lives in Ishbal, weren't they?'

Her heart dropped a little at the realisation this would be the reason he knew so much, 'yes' she murmured.

'Their bodies were found by my squad, we were just unable to make it in time. When my party reached the scene, the Ishbalans had already...'

She began to ache inside, 'I see.'

'They obeyed the ethics of medicine and carried out their will to the very end
I would have liked to meet them while they were still alive. A photograph…'

She looked up at him, unable to keep away her curiosity, as often was the case when it came to information about her parents.

'They had a cherished photograph that showed them with their cute daughter,' he carried on, 'that girl was you, wasn't it?'

She could only nod as he smiled her way and told her how honoured he was to meet her.

When they finally reached the complex she was amazed at the sheer size of it. The country girl in her feared this place, but the mechanic in her wanted to take the place apart and learn her way around it.

'Could you wait here one moment,' Kimbley instructed as he went through another door. She heard a few mumbled voices and finally heard Kimbley call her in. Walking toward she cell he was stood at she felt a little nervous, until she finally came to face with two figures she couldn't have been happier to see.

'Idiot! Why did you come here?!' Ed and Al both cried in unison.

So much for a tearful reunion, this was just typical!

'Why? Don't you need Northern use auto-mail?' she snapped back.

'No-body called you!'

'I got a phone call from the military!'

They snapped at each other back and forth until Kimbley called a halt to their bickering.

'Now now, calm down everyone,' he said, 'from what I've heard Mr. Fullmetal Alchemist hasn't got his auto-mail replaced with the Northern use kind. When I told this to the Fuhrer he seemed concerned so he arranged for Miss Rockbell to come.'

Winry felt two hands fall on her shoulders, but Kimbley's voice and hands blurred into the background when she saw the look on Ed's face and the stiff position Al stood in. As Kimbley steered her toward the door she kept her eyes fixed on Edward's for as long as she could. Then, he was out of sight.

She was promised Edward would be delivered to her once she had set up all of the equipment she needed. Taking the odd sip of a strong coffee kept her focus on setting up her tools to fix Ed's new limbs. She tried not to let the image of his horrified face play on her mind but how3 she wished she had seen just one smile out of him. Perhaps after she had done what she needed to do she would leave straight away for it was clear her presence there was a problem to the Elrics', some hello that had been.

His hands still bound Ed was taken from his cell, leaving Al remained locked up. He knew better than to kick up a fuss about it and so let himself be marched around like some criminal. After his efforts to keep Winry relatively safe she had put herself right into danger. Bradley now had the power over them he would have desired but there was still no telling Winry. When he saw the concern in her eyes he informed Al they would keep quiet for now. She seemed fairly happy even if they had exchanged a few heated words. But then, for Ed, having her yell at him was the most comforting thing of all. Only his Winry would ever talk to him like that.

Entering the room where she sat waiting for him his binds were finally removed and he took a long stretch. When she smiled up at him he found he couldn't smile back while he was keeping such a secret from her.

When he turned away from her without so much as a smile she decided she was not going to be kind. She had been so worried about seeing him again she had forgotten just how infuriating he could be.

'I can't do anything while you have your clothes on,' she snapped at his back.

'I'm not getting undressed in front of everyone!'

'Then go behind the screen!'

She watched him pull a face at her and storm off behind the screen. She gulped down the remainder of her coffee in preparation for a rather stressful auto-mail operation. Since there would be military personnel around she would avoid it getting too personal but she would not let get away with blanking her.

As he approached she kept her eyes on the ground and didn't say anything. As he stood in front of her she permitted her eyes to wander higher but not so much she looked into has face. Of course, this meant her focus was on his torso, on all the strong muscles in his arms and his chest, in his thighs and…

'Get on the bed!' she cried.

He raised an eyebrow, 'What?'

'I can't do anything with you standing there can I? Or do you want me to try and take your leg off while you're standing on it?'

'Geez no need to get so violent about it,' he grumbled as he lay down in the bed. She threw a small blanket over him to stop oil getting on what remained of his clothing and set to work. For the longest time neither said anything to the other, both of them growing even more frustrated with the situation but neither wanting to be the first to say anything. Finally after what seemed an eternity she found the perfect words to say.

'I suppose you thought it would be perfectly fine to let me worry about you?'

'Don't be stupid.'

'You should at least tell me if you're going North!'

'I couldn't help it, we were in a hurry.'

She wasn't going to buy that, 'You two are always in a hurry!' She changed subject quickly as she felt her anger begin to turn into sadness at her constant predicament of being left out of their adventures, 'And why were you in jail anyway? Be straight and tell me what you did.'

His face twitched 'Uh, well, various things…'

'It was a mere mistake,' said Kimbley from across the room, 'Please don't worry Miss Winry, Mr Fullmetal Alchemist will be let out right away. I'll go through the procedures later.'

Out the corner of his eye Edward saw Winry beam a huge smile at Kimbley and it unnerved him. Winry was innocent to what Kimbley was known for and her desperation to keep him and Al safe would lead her to trust him. He reached his good hand over and tugged at some of her free hair until her soft blue eyes looked down at him.

'Don't trust Kimbley too much,' he muttered.

'Eh, why? He's such a nice gentlemanly person. He was really sympathetic toward my parents too.'

So that's how he got to her he thought, 'Gentlemanly? From what I heard about him in Ishbal…'

But then, what Lieutenant Hawkeye had said was only her personal account. All they had talked about was what she had seen…talked about…she had asked if he loved Winry! Why did he have to remember that now of all time? Now, while Winry was right next to him and while her biggest smile was being saved for Kimbley of all people! Why now while her hands were all…over…him.

Ed's sudden change from deep thought to madness wilted Winry's anger at him. As he started to recite chemicals in a loud voice to himself she was reminded of her thoughts on the train up here. No matter what he did from now on she knew she would probably never stop loving him, even if he was a bit of a weirdo at times.

'Ah, did you say something?' he asked.

Oh crap, did I say something?

'It's nothing at ALL!' she cried, and with a twist of her wrist she connected the nerves in his arm. Perhaps she had been a little cruel not to give him a warning but it had been the best way to completely divert from where the situation. He may have been annoyed at her, but at least her one dark secret was kept safe.

'You,' he breathed through bared teeth, 'tell me when you're connecting the nerves.'

She took a small breath and chose not to have heard him, 'Okay, your leg is next.'

As she stood up to move round to his leg she noticed Kimbley smiling at her. It was a knowing smile, but there was no way he could have heard what she said. That was unless he could lip read.

She put her mind back on track and tried not to let it bother her. What did it matter if Kimbley knew? It's not like Ed would believe it if he heard it. He would just brush it off as nonsense or at most he would accept it but never do anything about it. She knew that, she could accept that.

Finally her work was done and Ed was able to try out his new limbs. In true fashion his first words came across as negative and she had to put his fears to one side. He would see how well she made her auto-mail once he used it to its full potential.

As Ed dressed a huge man entered the room and started to speak to him. Her eyes focussed in on the amazing auto-mail attached to this bulk of a man and became oblivious to anything else around her. Auto-mail was her Achilles Heal after all and she almost forgot Ed was there until he yelled directly at her.

'Hey!'

She turned to him with a scowl on her face, 'What?'

'Well, don't go loitering around just because you're having fun. There are lots of dangerous things inside this fortress.'

What was she to do? Yell at him for being concerned for her welfare? She smiled at him to reassure him she would keep her wits about her before turning back to a world of new auto-mail.

He carried on watching her as she turned away from him. When he heard her say she had visited mainly to learn about Northern use auto-mail his heart dropped a little. Perhaps a little part of him longed for her just to want to see him. Apart from his brother, there were precious few people in that world that were glad just to have his company rather than want him because they needed him to do something. Winry was his one last link to a world without military and without homunculus. She was a representation of his home and so perhaps he believed only he should feel the way he did. He couldn't own her like that and her heart was currently more into the mechanics than the flesh. She was hopeless, but that was why he…

'Just like her parents she's eager about her job. I like girls like her.'

Those words coming out of Kimbley's mouth turned his stomach, even when Kimbley reassured him he wasn't interested in Winry in that sense. Then what Kimbley said, however few words were spoken, threatened any happy home life Ed might have ever been thinking of.

'Lets talk about work, Mr Fullmetal Alchemist.'

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zachelle
post Apr 17 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #29

Alchemists

Member No.: 45,471

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Apr 17 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]531627[/snapback]
Only his Winry would ever talk to him like that.

Omg. So true.
That was really great Chiyo, I only read all of your works now, It's all so well written and I think it's really awesome that you follow the manga and goes to those thoughts of Winry that Arakawa-san leaves us to imagine. Hope you will continue doing this for the next chapters to come. happy.gif

--------------------

"Yay! Mass Production!!" - Hitachiin Brothers

+Quote Post
shorebay
post Apr 18 2007, 01:18 PM
Post #30

Citizen

Member No.: 44,333

As always that was wonderful! I realy think you do a great job relating the manga into fanfiction and personalize it. Keep it up. I can't wait for the next chapter!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 03:16 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css